Anyone else worrying that Pandora is lipstick on a pig?

blueboxdoctor

If the theming and rides are cool and fun, I don’t think people will even care if it’s based off a movie they’re not that into or don’t care about any longer. They could just take it as a “futuristic style Fantasyland” and accept it as it is, a cool, vibrant land based off some other worldly planet.

True, I think my dislike for Avatar and my preference for the fantasy theme is why I am still a little annoyed they went with the Avatar theme. No doubt it will look really cool, so that should be interesting, and it will give a nice addition to Animal Kingdom.

disneygeek90

True, I think my dislike for Avatar and my preference for the fantasy theme is why I am still a little annoyed they went with the Avatar theme. No doubt it will look really cool, so that should be interesting, and it will give a nice addition to Animal Kingdom.
I agree. I think I saw Avatar once and it was fine, but I was by no means crazy about it. However, I trust that Disney will make it immersive and beautiful enough that I won't even care or think about it too much as "Avatarland"

blueboxdoctor

So what about Splash Mountain? It's doubtful that 1% of the people that go to Disney know what movie it's based on. Will y'all just get off the stupid notion that this land's and rides popularity will have anything to do with the original or a future movie. IT WON'T.

No, but it would help. It won't get the same amount of hype as something like Star Wars land, which anytime something new is revealed it is on pretty much every website available, but this isn't nearly as well circulated. Like I said, I have no doubt they will do a great job making it look cool, and I am looking forward to the boat ride they have for it, so I don't think it will be a bad area for the park.

KrzyKtty

I don't think Avatar is as forgotten as some think. I still have friends that watch that movie all the time. People cos-play as the Na'vi. If you read through the comments on FB about Pandora, people are stoked that they get to visit the world of Pandora, and love the movie. I'm not saying it is at the top of everyone's list, but I don't think it is a forgotten or unloved as some would make it seem.

JohnD

First, I can't wait for Pandora to open. I hope I will be able to experience it in as much detail as I want, but not holding my breath on the first trip.

From the title, what I mean is that what we have seen so far is not much different than we already have. Yes, technology has improved but the concept is the same. Navi River Journey is PotC/IASW with fiber optics and some other technology advantages. However, it is still a slow moving boat ride. Flight of Passage is simply a simulator ride. It is mashup of Soarin, Star Tours, Mission Space with graphics from Pandora.

I know it is going to be good and I can't wait. However, there is really no innovation in it other than technology that has already been done. Now, if the entire grounds you walk through illuminate, the little white things are floating around everywhere, the flora have things moving within them at night to give a sense of fear.

You'd make a great reporter. Create a headline that sets up the conclusion. I don't know really but that's what slanted headlines do.

PrincessJulia1207

I'm the same way. My thing is that I don't really understand why the wanted to do something based on Avatar. I mean I know that Avatar made a ton of money but I really never hear people talking about it anymore. I can understand making a Star Wars themed land because it's so ingrained in our culture now
exactly!

and what if the avatar sequels turn out to be terrible and tank in the box office? i always picture that disney corporate figures will shake their heads and say "greaaaaat now what do we do with all this now?" (referring to avatar land)

disneygeek90

exactly!

and what if the avatar sequels turn out to be terrible and tank in the box office? i always picture that disney corporate figures will shake their heads and say "greaaaaat now what do we do with all this now?" (referring to avatar land)

I think that’s the point, though. Even if the sequels do tank, it won’t take away from what I am assuming will be a very immersive, unique and fun environment, regardless of how people like or do not like the sequels. I can tell you already I have zero interest in seeing any sequels, but I also am very interested in seeing and visiting this land a lot.

DfromATX

Nope..Not at all....I'm only hoping...That it will distract people to the Mountain and await that refurb we've been waiting for 11 years now to see this in full glory......(Highly doubtful..But, I can dream)
tumblr_nq7g05OFWc1s2wio8o1_500.gif

It's funny you mention that. We saw the "real" yeti only on our first trip 11 years ago. He's almost a faded memory now...

DfromATX

I'm pretty excited about Pandora and I happen to love all the slow moving boat rides. As for the flight simulator... I believe that is all Harry Potter is too and it's pretty awesome (wayyyy better than Soarin' or Star Wars), so maybe it will be great too.

disney4life2008

Wow...could we wait until the land is up and running before we start dissecting the merits of whether it'll be popular or withstand the test of time?
Oh geez I forgot where I was. This what we do here. Carry on.

That is not fair. You do realize any idea iw critiqued. Pandora was critiqud heavily im sure by the board of directors or whatever they are called. Us critiquing the ride here is the point of the forum. Everyone can't love something, you need critical thought and analysis.

disney4life2008

So what about Splash Mountain? It's doubtful that 1% of the people that go to Disney know what movie it's based on. Will y'all just get off the stupid notion that this land's and rides popularity will have anything to do with the original or a future movie. IT WON'T.

I disagree. Anyone that is 25 or older knows about song of the South. And if you are African American, you definitely know about the movie and it's application. I am African American btw. Younger generations, probably have no idea.

disney4life2008

I don't think Avatar is as forgotten as some think. I still have friends that watch that movie all the time. People cos-play as the Na'vi. If you read through the comments on FB about Pandora, people are stoked that they get to visit the world of Pandora, and love the movie. I'm not saying it is at the top of everyone's list, but I don't think it is a forgotten or unloved as some would make it seem.

Lol idk I find that pathetic. Star wars and anything else I can understand. But cos play avatar is hilarious. Alas, the land will be successful (movie or not)

KrzyKtty

Lol idk I find that pathetic. Star wars and anything else I can understand. But cos play avatar is hilarious. Alas, the land will be successful (movie or not)
I don't find it pathetic, there are lots of fandoms out there outside of Star Wars. I have been known to cos play within the Star Trek and Anime fandoms. As a young adult I may have cared about other's opinions, but now not really.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Here's where I disagree. Splash and Song of the South are sorta a weird combination. You're right most people know jack about the movie, and the ride is wildly popular.

WiTh AvLand, people will know the movie. There's no way around that. If the movies suck, and are universally panned, that will effect the popularity of the land. IMO anyway.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I disagree. Anyone that is 25 or older knows about song of the South. And if you are African American, you definitely know about the movie and it's application. I am African American btw. Younger generations, probably have no idea.
So next time you are in MK, ask random people if they know what movie Splash is based on. Be truthful. I think you will be lucky if any know the right answer. That ride has nothing to do with the success of the movie, just like Pandora.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Here's where I disagree. Splash and Song of the South are sorta a weird combination. You're right most people know jack about the movie, and the ride is wildly popular.

WiTh AvLand, people will know the movie. There's no way around that. If the movies suck, and are universally panned, that will effect the popularity of the land. IMO anyway.
I disagree. There are probably 6 1/2 billion people in the world that have never seen or heard of Avatar. Millions that come to AK will never have seen the film, or even care as the land will stand on it's own. I do not understand how y'all just don't get that. It is mind-boggling to me that anyone thinks that the land will not do well if sequels tank. It won't.

CaptainAmerica

Tomorrowland - 50% positive reviews
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - 32% positive reviews
The Haunted Mansion - 12% positive reviews

The land will succeed or fail on its own. The pop culture footprint of the film will impact the initial hype, but long-term success will be based on the quality of attractions.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Tomorrowland - 50% positive reviews
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - 32% positive reviews
The Haunted Mansion - 12% positive reviews

The land will succeed or fail on its own. The pop culture footprint of the film will impact the initial hype, but long-term success will be based on the quality of attractions.
Attractions are the IP in your examples. So it's a bit different.

If the movies are disliked by the general population, then the land will be fighting an uphill battle.

AvatarLand is Avatar. If people hate Pandora from the film, why would they like it in its physical form?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I disagree. There are probably 6 1/2 billion people in the world that have never seen or heard of Avatar. Millions that come to AK will never have seen the film, or even care as the land will stand on it's own. I do not understand how y'all just don't get that. It is mind-boggling to me that anyone thinks that the land will not do well if sequels tank. It won't.

We can disagree. No big deal. I think if the films are disliked, then the land will be fighting an uphill battle. That's all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom