Anyone else worrying that Pandora is lipstick on a pig?

ppete1975

I'm more concerned about the upkeep, seems its being built amazing with very immersive details (the plants, the ground, things responding to you, the lighting) but if they don't keep up with little things that break the immersion will suffer.

mergatroid

From the title, what I mean is that what we have seen so far is not much different than we already have. Yes, technology has improved but the concept is the same. Navi River Journey is PotC/IASW with fiber optics and some other technology advantages. However, it is still a slow moving boat ride. Flight of Passage is simply a simulator ride. It is mashup of Soarin, Star Tours, Mission Space with graphics from Pandora.

I suppose you could say that the Harry Potter rides that were added were just Spiderman clones featuring wizards, or Splash Mountain was a log flume with a few bears and rabbits added then?

The Empress Lilly

First, I can't wait for Pandora to open. I hope I will be able to experience it in as much detail as I want, but not holding my breath on the first trip.

From the title, what I mean is that what we have seen so far is not much different than we already have. Yes, technology has improved but the concept is the same. Navi River Journey is PotC/IASW with fiber optics and some other technology advantages. However, it is still a slow moving boat ride. Flight of Passage is simply a simulator ride. It is mashup of Soarin, Star Tours, Mission Space with graphics from Pandora.

I know it is going to be good and I can't wait. However, there is really no innovation in it other than technology that has already been done. Now, if the entire grounds you walk through illuminate, the little white things are floating around everywhere, the flora have things moving within them at night to give a sense of fear.
Pandora is a themed environment. Lipstick IS the con tent, the meaning. ;)

Also, I think DAK should have low key tech on purpose. At least the visible tech. For that reason, I feel the boat ride is a great fit, for mood and atmosphere. And experience-wise. My issue is actually with the state-of-the-art screen based thrill ride, which I feel changes the pace of the park, changes the visitor's state of mind.

Although, contrary to that, the mood when walking DAK is often one of tranquil, calm, contemplative exploration. Whereas the rides are about thrill, destruction, death and doom. So a scary sci-fi thrill ride would fit that pattern. How it will play out remains to be seen. I think DAK will greatly improve from Pandora. But DAK recently has also gotten terribly loud, in-your-face, more theme park than nature reserve, and Pandora looks to aggrandise this.

Last edited:

rob0519

I dont think so. It's going to be a massive success with unprecedented lines

It's going to be a massive success even if it totally sucks, which I'm sure it won't (totally at least). There isn't some new never before technology out there waiting to be unleashed on the public, so of course it will be some form of other existing attractions with some new wrinkles.

Disney's customers are dying for something new, anything new. The Voyage of the Little Mermaid is a slow moving boat ride with some of the cheapest plastic staging I've ever seen and yet on some days it still has a 60 minute wait, so you can bet the mortgage payment crowds at Pandora will be huge for I'm guessing at least 2 or 3 years.

rob0519

I suppose you could say that the Harry Potter rides that were added were just Spiderman clones featuring wizards, or Splash Mountain was a log flume with a few bears and rabbits added then?

First, Splash is my favorite attraction at MK. However, Splash Mountain is indeed an indoor log flume ride with a few bear and rabbits added. Oh, it also has frogs and don't forget the vultures. It's a very long, detailed and immersive log flume ride, but underneath it all, it's just a log flume. Same thing at Universal with Dudley Do-Right. Great theme, but a flume ride nonetheless.

mergatroid

First, Splash is my favorite attraction at MK. However, Splash Mountain is indeed an indoor log flume ride with a few bear and rabbits added. Oh, it also has frogs and don't forget the vultures. It's a very long, detailed and immersive log flume ride, but underneath it all, it's just a log flume. Same thing at Universal with Dudley Do-Right. Great theme, but a flume ride nonetheless.

Indeed, shame on Disney :)

BEARSHOUSE4

First, I can't wait for Pandora to open. I hope I will be able to experience it in as much detail as I want, but not holding my breath on the first trip.

I know it is going to be good and I can't wait. However, there is really no innovation in it other than technology that has already been done. Now, if the entire grounds you walk through illuminate, the little white things are floating around everywhere, the flora have things moving within them at night to give a sense of fear.
I'm fully expecting Pandora to be the best land in the best park in FL. Hands down.

mergatroid

23fdaf08ec04fd9254e047edd93de6b0.jpg

Jeff456

No, I'm actually excited to see it in August now, I still think it has no place in the park but what I have seen looks good so I'll overlook that!

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I'm not thrilled about it, but maybe that will change once I see it. I would have liked to see something original, not something based off of yet an other movie / comic book, but then that is the way the entire industry is going and I doubt we will see anything make its' conceptual debut in a theme park anymore. I don't know about lipstick on a pig, but more like they dragged out the same model car as last year, but now it comes in sparkle purple.

As an aside, something that irks me, and I have no idea why, is the way they try (very lamely) to integrate 3D glasses into the story whenever they use them. From putting on your opera glasses in Philharmagic, to bug disguises in ITTBAG. Now we have "flight goggles" in Flight of Passage. I feel it actually calls more attention to them, then explaining them away.

-dave
I'm the same way. My thing is that I don't really understand why the wanted to do something based on Avatar. I mean I know that Avatar made a ton of money but I really never hear people talking about it anymore. I can understand making a Star Wars themed land because it's so ingrained in our culture now that pretty much everybody knows "something" about Star Wars. Avatar is just one of those things that if you ask people about it they're like "Oh yeah I watched it. It was good." and that's the extent of the conversation. Whereas with Star Wars people rant and rave and write fanfic and do cosplay and there's an enormous extended universe and so on. I'm totally fine with them doing it and I hope it's awesome. I'm just saying that I'm ultimately indifferent to it. However, if it so much as alleviated 2% of the crowd level of the MK for any period of time I will be totally on board with that. LOL!

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

my favorite ride is Pirates, so i love the slower more relaxed, take it all in type rides. im excited to see some NEW stuff. that disney touch is going to be spread throughout. the banshee ride seems really cool and unique. theres an over abundance of simulator rides but from what ive seen about the vehicle it looks a bit different.

plus im sure the land will have immense detail and little hidden things.
Those "hidden things" are called Hidden Mickey's and I'm an absolute crackhead for them. LOL!

Phonedave

I'm the same way. My thing is that I don't really understand why the wanted to do something based on Avatar. I mean I know that Avatar made a ton of money but I really never hear people talking about it anymore. I can understand making a Star Wars themed land because it's so ingrained in our culture now that pretty much everybody knows "something" about Star Wars. Avatar is just one of those things that if you ask people about it they're like "Oh yeah I watched it. It was good." and that's the extent of the conversation. Whereas with Star Wars people rant and rave and write fanfic and do cosplay and there's an enormous extended universe and so on. I'm totally fine with them doing it and I hope it's awesome. I'm just saying that I'm ultimately indifferent to it. However, if it so much as alleviated 2% of the crowd level of the MK for any period of time I will be totally on board with that. LOL!

I am assuming that they are betting the already planned 2 ro 3 sequels to Avatar will help to embed it more in the public's mined - a la Star Wars

-dave

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I am assuming that they are betting the already planned 2 ro 3 sequels to Avatar will help to embed it more in the public's mined - a la Star Wars

-dave
They may be hedging their bets on that but man I don't know that anything will ever enter the public's collective psyche like Star Wars has. Although, that being said, I'm not all that optimistic that Star Wars Land is gonna be all that awesome either. I WANT it to be but I don't know if it will. Regardless, I will always miss the Streets of America. It was my favorite place to relax. LOL!

Kenny1132

I think they decided on Avatar because they always wanted a mythical beasts part of AK and Avatar allowed them to do that while also giving them the opportunity to enter a potentially rising fanbase and add some of their Disney magic to the themeing itself. If its a great as they're pushing it then kudos, I don't really like the movie but I'm excited to see what the land looks like when I'm there

mikenatcity1

I honestly don't think so. Universal does ride after ride that is movement in front of screens, sometimes with updated technology and people go nuts for it. It's all about the execution- I think opening the entire land at 1 time and having people get "immersed" into the who culture of the Na'vi is going to take it to another playing field. it seems like this is just the tickle people will need for when SWL opens in 2 years. I am very excited about seeing it and how it meshes with the whole theme park :)

blueboxdoctor

I'm just curious how popular it will be over time. Star Wars and Toy Story are deeply rooted in popular culture, but with the exception of the year it came out, nobody really seems to care about Avatar. I know 4 more movies are on the way, but even then, Disney itself will have more Star Wars and Marvel that people will be talking about. I still think the original concept of having fantasy animals would be better, especially since a lot of them have been around for hundreds of years throughout different cultures.

That said, I do expect the work they have done for Pandora will be very good and probably will have a lot of attention to detail.

disneygeek90

I'm just curious how popular it will be over time. Star Wars and Toy Story are deeply rooted in popular culture, but with the exception of the year it came out, nobody really seems to care about Avatar. I know 4 more movies are on the way, but even then, Disney itself will have more Star Wars and Marvel that people will be talking about. I still think the original concept of having fantasy animals would be better, especially since a lot of them have been around for hundreds of years throughout different cultures.

That said, I do expect the work they have done for Pandora will be very good and probably will have a lot of attention to detail.

If the theming and rides are cool and fun, I don’t think people will even care if it’s based off a movie they’re not that into or don’t care about any longer. They could just take it as a “futuristic style Fantasyland” and accept it as it is, a cool, vibrant land based off some other worldly planet.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

So what about Splash Mountain? It's doubtful that 1% of the people that go to Disney know what movie it's based on. Will y'all just get off the stupid notion that this land's and rides popularity will have anything to do with the original or a future movie. IT WON'T.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom