Anyone else worrying that Pandora is lipstick on a pig?

BigRedDad

Original Poster
First, I can't wait for Pandora to open. I hope I will be able to experience it in as much detail as I want, but not holding my breath on the first trip.

From the title, what I mean is that what we have seen so far is not much different than we already have. Yes, technology has improved but the concept is the same. Navi River Journey is PotC/IASW with fiber optics and some other technology advantages. However, it is still a slow moving boat ride. Flight of Passage is simply a simulator ride. It is mashup of Soarin, Star Tours, Mission Space with graphics from Pandora.

I know it is going to be good and I can't wait. However, there is really no innovation in it other than technology that has already been done. Now, if the entire grounds you walk through illuminate, the little white things are floating around everywhere, the flora have things moving within them at night to give a sense of fear.

thomas998

First, I can't wait for Pandora to open. I hope I will be able to experience it in as much detail as I want, but not holding my breath on the first trip.

From the title, what I mean is that what we have seen so far is not much different than we already have. Yes, technology has improved but the concept is the same. Navi River Journey is PotC/IASW with fiber optics and some other technology advantages. However, it is still a slow moving boat ride. Flight of Passage is simply a simulator ride. It is mashup of Soarin, Star Tours, Mission Space with graphics from Pandora.

I know it is going to be good and I can't wait. However, there is really no innovation in it other than technology that has already been done. Now, if the entire grounds you walk through illuminate, the little white things are floating around everywhere, the flora have things moving within them at night to give a sense of fear.

What were you expecting? Some new never before seen or used technology? Lots of rides share the basic underlying technology but it doesn't mean the ride will be bad.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Absolutely not lipstick on a pig. They've built a whole new animal.

Call it a warthog with lip gloss.
And start working on the song... "It's a world of banshees, a world of goo, It's a world of big trees that fall on you. It's a place, you know, where, all the living things share, It's a Blue, Blue World."
chorus
It's A Blue World After All, It's A Blue World After All, It's A Blue World After All
It's A Blue, Blue, World."

Texas84

whatno_zps4osccpj3.gif

Phonedave

I'm not thrilled about it, but maybe that will change once I see it. I would have liked to see something original, not something based off of yet an other movie / comic book, but then that is the way the entire industry is going and I doubt we will see anything make its' conceptual debut in a theme park anymore. I don't know about lipstick on a pig, but more like they dragged out the same model car as last year, but now it comes in sparkle purple.

As an aside, something that irks me, and I have no idea why, is the way they try (very lamely) to integrate 3D glasses into the story whenever they use them. From putting on your opera glasses in Philharmagic, to bug disguises in ITTBAG. Now we have "flight goggles" in Flight of Passage. I feel it actually calls more attention to them, then explaining them away.

-dave

JIMINYCR

I wasn't very enthused about the Avatarland concept but watching the construction progress and seeing the small clips Disney is releasing, I have hopes for its success. It will be a welcoming breath of new life into the park and for a while the crowds are going to be insane. Disney will get lots of positive publicity and money flowing in, so it will serve its purpose. Lets hope it will be enough of a success so Disney will have reasons to grow in other areas.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

Nope, and is there anything that Disney has done lately that you actually like? :confused:

ppete1975

I personally love slow boat rides, I dare say my favorite rides at Disney are either omnimover style or boats. The slow moving allows you to get into the story and enjoy the experience, the sights the smells the animatronics. I think that's why I don't like snow white mine train, its over so quick that I cant enjoy the ride.
On the other part, I don't know how many more totally new ideas are out there. Yes you can build on existing ideas but it comes down to roller coaster, boat, omnimover, screens and a few others.

cyanaye

my favorite ride is Pirates, so i love the slower more relaxed, take it all in type rides. im excited to see some NEW stuff. that disney touch is going to be spread throughout. the banshee ride seems really cool and unique. theres an over abundance of simulator rides but from what ive seen about the vehicle it looks a bit different.

plus im sure the land will have immense detail and little hidden things.

LeighM

AK is my 2nd favorite park and I don't really consider it a pig to begin with LOL. As someone who has motion sickness and vertigo, it's nice to have ride options that won't make me sick. And it might be a regurgitated form of older technology such as Pirates, but it's a ride the whole family can experience together. I love being able to see grandparents enjoy something with their grandkids. And one of my good friends has a disabled son - those slow moving rides allows him to experience rides with his family. Disney knows how to make it inclusive for everyone and that's one of the reasons I love Disney :)

Capsin4

No. We don't know enough. Not sure why people seem to thing there's nothing new or innovative here. The land and its engineering is unique, the AA is unprecedented, there have been hints that the plants are responsive to visitors, hints that parts of the land can be impacted by things going on in other parts and the brief views of the flight ride suggest more is in store in terms of implementation and effect. None of that will determine if someone finds it exciting or even worth the visit, but I don't think that will hinge on how new the technology is anyway. I'm 45 and love tom Sawyer island and pressing the nonfunctional buttons on mission space. Maybe I'm a simpleton. Maybe part of the excitement you get from an attraction is rooted in what you bring to it regardless of how ground breaking it is. I'm not worried about it. I enjoy 7dmt, but find it underwhelming because it seems to end just as it gets going. If the experience doesn't give me that feeling, I should be fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom