A Spirited Perfect Ten

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Maybe, but he's also done it across several threads, often completely unprovoked.

It's used because when a so called D&G'er calls out Disney on their latest attraction/service/entertainment cut along with a price increase - with Ohana being a fine current example they removed the grilled turkey and raised the price.

We are told by the Disney can do no wrong crowd 'Disney is a Business", Well turnabout is fair play.

If one wants a echo chamber that WDW has never been better I suggest going to the DELTA-INDIA-SIERRA board where no dissenting voices are allowed

JediMasterMatt

The Seven Dwarves Mine Train and Frozen Sing-A-Long were not open last year for Spring Break, so I count two new attractions(unless I'm missing something).

While it may be easy to forget that 7DMT opened after Spring Break 2014, I can't blame anyone a mea culpa on forgetting an attraction so robust as a the Frozen Sing-a-Long. If that is all that can be "celebrated" as new from one year to the next at the World's Busiest/Best Theme Resort, then there is something very, very wrong with the system.

WDW guests deserve better. The resort's legacy deserves better.

I'll play a little game, using me as the barometer of an "annual Disney Parks vacationer". My wife and I visit each of the resorts at least once each year. We will compare annual visit to annual visit.

2014>2015 at WDW for us would feature 7DMT (actually, we rode it slightly off annual last year as we visited 2x during the year); Festival of Fantasy (missed it on our November trip); and the aforementioned (and our not yet experienced) Frozen Milk-the-Cow-Along. That's 4 theme parks and 2 water parks where only 2 of the six had any appreciable changes. Our visit in January just missed out on the Mermaid plussing, so you could add that to the mix if you want.

2015>2016 at DLR will feature for us (going back in August if not also sooner) Disneyland Forever; Paint the Night; World of Color: Celebrate; Peter Pan's Flight 3.0; Soarin' over California plussed with digital projection; likely Snow White, Toad, and Pinocchio plussed with new projection mapped effects; likely Haunted Mansion with the Hat Box Ghost added; and likely a few other unannounced surprises. That's 2 parks with changes in both.

Now you could say that DLR is at an advantage because it's getting a surplus of changes because of its 60th anniversary (if you want to play that game, ask yourself about the "surplus" that WDW got for its 40th). While it is true that they are getting a bountiful harvest of riches this year, its also very safe to say that each park on the West Coast has been getting something new or improved consistently for the last several years. New for us for our 2014 visit(s) were: Fantasy Faire; Thunder Mountain RR 2.0; the newly plussed Alice; and the plussed Mermaid.

The issue with WDW these days is that Walt's "blessing of size" has become the curse of size. The two resorts get a budget from Burbank each year and the butter gets spread so thin in Orlando that you can't help but miss the changes. 4 theme parks and 2 water parks need equivalent budget for change/growth as 2 theme parks on the opposite coast. Disney Parks shouldn't require the guests attention to be focused so closely to notice change. Stepping foot into 2 of the 4 parks this year in Orlando you'd be hard pressed to notice a difference in attraction offerings... that is unless you want to discuss about what has closed since your last visit.

Funmeister

The big caveat there is "at this time." Once Rivers of Light goes live, DAK will need more sit-down dining. Table service is much more popular at dinner than it is at lunch, but up until now people haven't had any reason to be at DAK at dinner time.

Yep. That is why I said "at this time." The entire dynamic of the park will change once Avatar and the other offerings go online. Until then...it is overkill.

Nubs70

A well manicured lawn is also impossible to maintain if it's going to have foot traffic. You had the following options.

1. Status quo. Lots of real grass and narrow paths that become a cluster of humanity every night and downright dangerous during things like MNSSHP, 24-hour parties, Christmas/Easter/New Year's, etc.

2. Leave small quantities of real grass and create huge, wide paths. The Hub actually does become a "concrete wasteland."

3. Allow foot traffic on the real grass. In about three days the entire Hub becomes a mud pit.

4. Install some artificial grass alongside some natural vegetation and new fountains. Add walkways, but maintain an overall "green" vibe. Artificial grass serves as a congestion release valve during crowded times.

Given those options, I can't fathom how anyone thinks that anything other than #4 would have been a correct decision. I get the preference for natural grass and I share that preference. But my preference for not being pressed up against a smelly guy while trying to exit the Magic Kingdom takes precedence.
So the fake grass will look as good as the grass in front of the stage at UNI?

The hub would have been better with raised beds with grass or annuals with a nice wrought iron railing to keep people off the grass and annuals.

Now you may reply that people will stand on raised beds and obstruct view of others. This is where guest courtesy comes in. Fail that... a cattle prod.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Id honestly think the HUB was its drawbacks and its pros.

It helps the flow a lot, others already have said it.
There was no problem to move around.. when usually its a nightmare to move during the hours nearby the night shows and parade.
The fountains looks good too, and so do the flower beds.

The bad are the weird unthemed lamps, the huge empty areas with no real trees and the color of the "grass" (isnt it a bit too bright green? looks kinda funky when you compare the real vegetation vs the plastic grass)
Umm, you do realize that they aren't finished with the hub redo? We have no idea what may change over the coming months. Do we know for a fact that the "weird unthemed lamps" may not go away once all of the turrets are completed? Only 2 of the 4 turrets are even in place, and none of them are done as of yet. People are reporting that there are electronics, lights, and other items inside of them. Maybe we should wait until it is totally complete, and you see it in person, before complaining about it. Dontcha' think?

Oh, and we were just at WDW last week, and we both loved the parts of the new hub that are completed. They are really doing it well, and unless you live on a Disney board such as this, you don't really notice the light poles.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
(Limited) Spirited Weekend Musings:

Why limited? Because they're worth more ... ya know like those 5,000 'first day' Sam's tiki mugs.

No, I really don't have much to say about that because the whole 'Tikis Is Kewl' movement amongst Florida fanbois appears to be a very recent move over the past 4-6 years, much like the Orange Bird. I've always loved 'tiki culture' but it is a decidely west coast phenonemon in my travels that seems to have been 'borrowed' by the bois in the swamps. I guess it's fine ... who are they harming? (Likely no one beyond guests at the Poly who won't be able to get in past all the bloggers, podcasters and Lifestylers).

Task Angie gave me for the weekend: put tinfoil on my Mouse Ears and snap a pic or two (tasteful nudes, naturally!)

Oh, another Walking Dead blink and you'll miss it season is ending tonight. Well, just one less hour to occupy myself with.

To all of you folks who totally do not get the complexity of dealing with Chinese contractors, you know like Bob Iger, Tom Staggs and Chapie have to do in Shanghai, I'd read about the now twice delayed Baha Mar huge resort development on Paradise Island in the Bahamas. The Miami Herald had a piece the other day and there are others out there. That's for the 2.6 readers here who think Bob delayed the opening to 2016 to get a bounce from it.

Weather is so beautiful that I almost think I'm back in California. Then, I look around at the people ... and ... yeah.

Back to the Grog Grotto, having one potentially (because I haven't see it yet) cool bar does not in any way make up for the wholesale destruction of one of the classic parts of WDW. It's sad that fanboi Twits can't see that as they line up to eBay merchandise if they couldn't be there themsleves. Sorry, the thematics don't win out over the destruction.

So, another Spring Break season at WDW, another year with absolutely nothing new.

Did you see last night's very funny SNL hosted by The Rock? I loved the live action Bambi that Disney has coming out next year! Great stuff!!!

Sorry, but that's about it ... don't have time now and in the mood for fro-yo.

I post this from Paradise Island and I can say I've seen a few Disney Lifestylers the other day at the Atlantis after DCL rolled
How are the crowds? I just can't see how Baha Mar is going to bring new business to Nassau-just cannibalize Atlantis and then both properties suffer.

It was seemingly slower but Friday and Saturday seemed to have a bump with the cruise ships in port.

For those wanting to see the construction I just took a ride by Baha Mar and the locals told me they aren't thrilled with the new resort. It is the largest building in the Bahamas though.

2WZ8qep.jpg

vfJVp4k.jpg

@WDW1974

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
For a while they had Shrimp, Steak, Pork and Chicken. Prior to that it was Shrimp, Steak, Pork and Turkey. The cut chicken and then brought it back and cut pork I believe.

You need a scorecard Over the holidays (2014) it was Steak, Shrimp and Pork, Holidays (2013) it was when I was there Steak, Shrimp, Pork and Turkey) YMNV

Cesar R M

Almost like they WANT to see problems everywhere they look.

Almost.
You're confusing things a lot.

There is a gigantic difference in blind fanboyism and saying everything is perfect.
Compared to being critical and see things for what they are. (and see both sides, good and bad)
Also on the other side; the gloom and doomer, where there is NOTHING good on anything a company makes.

first and last are completely opposite sides of the spectrum and they have little weight opinion wise.

Middle is where the majority should stand imho.

(edited for clarity)

Last edited:

Funmeister

So are you in the habit of just taking a snippet of a quote to try to make it not sound as it was intended? Why not read again in context:

So- reread what I said- and then reread what Captain said- he gave 4 alternatives, and this was the best one.

Genius...you asked a question AFTER you said what "Captain said"...I think YOU need to re-read your post!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

The hub would have been better with raised beds with grass or annuals with a nice wrought iron railing to keep people off the grass and annuals.

Now you may reply that people will stand on raised beds and obstruct view of others. This is where guest courtesy comes in. Fail that... a cattle prod.

You mean that nasty slick green thing with wrinkles which looks worse than Bill Shatner's rug, That one at UNI????

CaptainAmerica

Are you talking about this stage? Because it's fake grass, has a steel monstrosity behind it, and has aluminum cage fences to keep people away.

250px-RockitConstruction_April2009_15.jpg

The problem here is the use of the term "better." The Hub may have very well been prettier the way you describe, but appearance is not the only consideration. The biggest problem with the "old hub" (lack of navigable paths) would have been even worse with your system. People need room to walk, stand, and walk around those who are standing. The hub redesign was an operational / functional need, not an aesthetic one.

I'm all for whupping on guests. You'll get no argument from me there. ;)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You're confusing things a lot.

There is a gigantic difference in blind fanboyism and saying everything is perfect.
Compared to being critical and see things for what they are.
Also the other side is the gloom and doomer where there is NOTHING good on anything they do.

first and last are completely opposite sides of the spectrum and they have little weight opinion wise.

Middle is where the majority should stand.

Yes but those of us in the middle are called D&G'ers... The fanboi community so desperately wants to believe that things have never been better.

Funmeister

No- It's necessary. Do you suggest they make the improvements after Avatar is open? You really, really like to complain, don't you?

You really like to read into peoples posts and jump to conclusions. Having multiple locations OPEN FOR BUSINESS right now does nothing for the park. Yes, it would be overkill. I said nothing about not building now for the future. lol Read what you want.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom