7 Dwarfs Mine Train was...

KAAAAAHN

That's probably why you enjoyed it.

Imagine waiting 90 minutes to get on. Then having what is basically one animatronic scene in the middle of what must be the world's shortest rollercoaster.

matt9112

That's probably why you enjoyed it.

Imagine waiting 90 minutes to get on. Then having what is basically one animatronic scene in the middle of what must be the world's shortest rollercoaster.

Indeed it walks an akward line between coaster and dark ride while clearly missing the mark on each. With that said however it is a very unique and kudos need to be given for the effort and that it fits it's purpose well...it's primary audience likely won't critique it like your and I will..and it is a stunning visual addition to NFL could it have been much better...yes will it perform it's intended purpose well...also yes.

rangerbob

I finally got a chance to ride it at the Halloween Party. Line was short so I took advantage of that.

I'll start off with the good. It was smooth and I liked the mine sceen. Thats it nothing else.

The bad everything else. They attempted to give you something to do while waiting in line and I think it failed. The ride was way too short. At the end of the ride we were stopped outside the unload area for a very long time looking at the backside of a building. When we moved forward I very briefly saw the dwarfs and the witch. Don't know why we were there for so long unless if they are running too many trains on the short track and this is the point to pause you while others move from the load area. I only waited 20 minutes and that as too long for this ride.

Brian Swan

The 7DMT is the perfect capstone to the whole NFL - pretty to look at but lacking in delivery. Under the Sea - amazing exterior facade and queue, ho-hum dark ride with minimal AA work and a "narrative" with more holes than story. Storybook Circus. Dumbo. Times 2. Barnstormer. Again. I have to say that Casey Jr might be the most interesting addition to the Circus - even if it is really nothing more than an elaborate splash zone. 20 points to Disney House. ETWB - probably very successful for what it is (and elaborate meet and greet but only for some), but as someone who doesn't have kids, and who doesn't necessarily find watching other people's kids all that enjoyable, it's pretty much a zero for me (although Wardrobe and Lumier are well done). 10 points for yummy cinnamon rolls at Gaston's. Haven't had a chance to try BoG yet, so I'll reserve comment there. And of course there are the added M&Gs - Disney's favorite way to amp up the number of "attractions" with minimal capital outlay and operating expenses.

Then we come to the Mine Train. It tried to bring together the best of both worlds (dark ride and coaster) but because of budget cutbacks (had to pay for MM+ somehow) instead it largely failed on both accounts. They could have gome "all coaster", added twice the track, and had a nice "mini-thrill" ride. They could have gone "all dark ride", and created an attraction similar to SWSA, but using the new technology AAs and other high-tech effects. But instead we got a dark ride with no story (albeit VERY cool AAs), and a coaster that barely has enough track to qualify for that category. But it does LOOK beautiful as you walk past...

RSoxNo1

I went on it 4 times this trip, nice queue, overall positive experience. I would classify it as a D ticket. It needs the following to be an E:
15-30 seconds more coaster time
15-30 seconds for an additional indoor show scene
Fix the glare issue in the final show scene
Another point of note: I loved the mine scene, great music, great timing and great animatronics.

Animaniac93-98

I really liked the ride overall. It being too short (by about 30-60 seconds) is the only thing I can think about to say against it. I have no issue with the dark ride/coaster hybrid as it raises the overall quality of the attraction.

In my experience the stand-by line moved at a fairly constant rate, which meant the interactive stuff did more harm than good. People would just stop and play with the stuff instead of moving forward.

Andy Whitfield

The 7DMT is the perfect capstone to the whole NFL - pretty to look at but lacking in delivery. Under the Sea - amazing exterior facade and queue, ho-hum dark ride with minimal AA work and a "narrative" with more holes than story.

Then we come to the Mine Train. It tried to bring together the best of both worlds (dark ride and coaster) but because of budget cutbacks (had to pay for MM+ somehow) instead it largely failed on both accounts. They could have gome "all coaster", added twice the track, and had a nice "mini-thrill" ride. They could have gone "all dark ride", and created an attraction similar to SWSA, but using the new technology AAs and other high-tech effects. But instead we got a dark ride with no story (albeit VERY cool AAs), and a coaster that barely has enough track to qualify for that category. But it does LOOK beautiful as you walk past...

I went on it 4 times this trip, nice queue, overall positive experience. I would classify it as a D ticket. It needs the following to be an E:
15-30 seconds more coaster time
15-30 seconds for an additional indoor show scene
Fix the glare issue in the final show scene
Another point of note: I loved the mine scene, great music, great timing and great animatronics.

I finally rode about two weeks ago. Took 45 minutes on a Friday which was a MNSSHP night. Again i was apprehensive having read the comments on here over the past year. It really isn't that bad. It looks fantastic. My whole family really enjoyed the experience. None of the rest of my party come on here so had no expectations or worries about the attraction. Everyone really enjoyed the ride. None of them even knew about the Mine Scene so they were amazed, and i don't throw about that word, by that scene with all the dwarf animatronics. We all enjoyed the coaster sections, however, my whole group would of missed the Wicked Witch at the door if i hadn't of pointed her out.

The Queue line interactive elements I found a pain as it just created bottle necks with parties of people not moving on as they stopped to "play" the gem sorting game thingy.

I know some will argue it could of been Greater if longer, more money thrown at it etc. but was it ever meant to be an "E" ticket? I think the lack of other new attractions around WDW has lead to this ride having too much scrutiny.

As for the Comments on Under The Sea, they seem fairer. Again it looks great from the outside and we had no Queue at all (no need for a fast pass +), but perhaps that's because the general public are becoming aware this ride if a little "naff". If I hadn't watched the little mermaid i'd have no idea what was going on. The end bit had me so lost it could of been the final season of the TV show "lost" for all i knew. The big show scene near the beginning was ruined by me looking at all the exposed lighting and the nice roof on display and AA sea life thrust rudely upon moving sticks.

Hopefully some of these issues can be resolved.

Kitty17794

Finally got to ride for the first time in Sept. Was really worried that I wouldn't be able to, as I'd heard rumors that those of us with hips and thighs might have a problem and be turned away. But magically I wasn't. (Hopefully Disney has amended that situation then? Or I've lost enough weight to where it wasn't a problem. Either is magical haha.)

But while the ride was BEAUTIFUL... it was definitely anti-climatic. :( I loved the swinging of the carts, but the actual drops and turns and such were just... so so. Was hoping for something a little more Thunder Mountain. But maybe it depends on where you sit? Not sure, as I've only ridden once. It just seemed.. VERY timid. But the scenery and the dwarves and whatnot were stunning to look at. :)

Andy Whitfield

But while the ride was BEAUTIFUL... it was definitely anti-climatic. :( I loved the swinging of the carts, but the actual drops and turns and such were just... so so. Was hoping for something a little more Thunder Mountain. But maybe it depends on where you sit? Not sure, as I've only ridden once. It just seemed.. VERY timid. But the scenery and the dwarves and whatnot were stunning to look at. :)

It's not meant to be Thunder Mountain. It's for a younger demographic hence the smaller drops and fewer thrills

Jon81uk

The 7DMT is the perfect capstone to the whole NFL - pretty to look at but lacking in delivery. Under the Sea - amazing exterior facade and queue, ho-hum dark ride with minimal AA work and a "narrative" with more holes than story. Storybook Circus. Dumbo. Times 2. Barnstormer. Again. I have to say that Casey Jr might be the most interesting addition to the Circus - even if it is really nothing more than an elaborate splash zone. 20 points to Disney House. ETWB - probably very successful for what it is (and elaborate meet and greet but only for some), but as someone who doesn't have kids, and who doesn't necessarily find watching other people's kids all that enjoyable, it's pretty much a zero for me (although Wardrobe and Lumier are well done). 10 points for yummy cinnamon rolls at Gaston's. Haven't had a chance to try BoG yet, so I'll reserve comment there. And of course there are the added M&Gs - Disney's favorite way to amp up the number of "attractions" with minimal capital outlay and operating expenses.

I don't think it was budget cuts that made it such a small ride, the amount of space available was the issue. The reason for keeping it closer to a coaster than a dark ride is that one exec realsied there was NOTHING for boys in New Fantasyland, it was all looking too Princessy. Therefore they needed to balance darkride & coaster.

Lee

Adventurer
I don't think it was budget cuts that made it such a small ride, the amount of space available was the issue. The reason for keeping it closer to a coaster than a dark ride is that one exec realsied there was NOTHING for boys in New Fantasyland, it was all looking too Princessy. Therefore they needed to balance darkride & coaster.
No, budgets did come into play.
Original designs were longer and more elaborate.

doctornick

No, budgets did come into play.
Original designs were longer and more elaborate.

It's unfortunate. It's a very solid ride as is, but it wouldn't have taken much to become a great one. I think what @RSoxNo1 mentioned earlier is exactly correct: adding a second show scene in the mine as making the track a bit longer would have made this a top notch ride.

The mine scene is so well done, that you just want more of that experience including longer to enjoy the songs. It also would have been a nice expository element if you see them actually mining for two scenes (which would illustrate the length of time working better) before ending the second scene with Doc and then them marching home to Hi-Ho on the lift hill.

kels650

I wish the queue had two lines, one for people that wanted to stop and play the games and one for those that do not want to stop and play. On at least 3 occasions the line was posted at 60min and the line was very slow moving initially because people were stopping to play and blocking the nicely moving line. Once we made it past the first area there was no waiting until the spinning gem barrels and then we were stopped again. Once we made it past that point we walked right on. I even saw people that left their kids there to play without knowing and kept moving in the line. It was frustrating to say the least.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I wish the queue had two lines, one for people that wanted to stop and play the games and one for those that do not want to stop and play. On at least 3 occasions the line was posted at 60min and the line was very slow moving initially because people were stopping to play and blocking the nicely moving line. Once we made it past the first area there was no waiting until the spinning gem barrels and then we were stopped again. Once we made it past that point we walked right on. I even saw people that left their kids there to play without knowing and kept moving in the line. It was frustrating to say the least.

It does, it's called Stand-by and Fastpass. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom