7 Dwarfs Mine Train was...

dstrawn9889

Your response would be SUPER helpful if from 60 days out until arrival and attempts while I was there I was actually able to get a FP+ for this ride. That was not the case however.
Thank you for your sarcastic response anyway! :)
the queue games do not make the wait any longer, it is just the 'perception' that you aren't moving for a bit then catch up...

RSoxNo1

No, budgets did come into play.
Original designs were longer and more elaborate.
It really is a shame. It's an very good ride, but really isn't that far away from being an E-ticket. All told it needed another 15-30 second indoor scene, 15-30 seconds of coaster time, and a fix to the glare at the end.

I would argue that the scene inside the mine is among the best scenes of any attraction on property.

Mike S

It really is a shame. It's an very good ride, but really isn't that far away from being an E-ticket. All told it needed another 15-30 second indoor scene, 15-30 seconds of coaster time, and a fix to the glare at the end.

I would argue that the scene inside the mine is among the best scenes of any attraction on property.
If only...........
image.jpg

Scuttle

It is top 3 for sure. The only one that I think has it beat, hands down, is the ballroom scene in Mansion.

Cfountain72

(In the words of my 10 year old daughter) "really disappointing." She (and I) both appreciated the excellent theming throughout the queue area. And the actual 'tunnel' section had some nice touches to it (how could you not sing "Hiiiii-Ho, Hiiiiii-Ho!"). But the ride itself sorely missed the high expectations that the elaborate construction and the higher MK admission price helped to set. If 10 year olds are part of their target market, I think Disney might have misfired...

Peace be with you.

RSoxNo1

There's actually somebody who's impressed with something in the Fantasyland expansion?? I'm not alone? What??
Anyone that doesn't think the Fantasyland expansion looks great is delusional. Personally, I think the Fantasyland expansion was a positive addition to the park. The issues that most have is that there isn't an anchor attraction. The quote is, "There's not enough 'there' there."

mahnamahna101

Anyone that doesn't think the Fantasyland expansion looks great is delusional. Personally, I think the Fantasyland expansion was a positive addition to the park. The issues that most have is that there isn't an anchor attraction. The quote is, "There's not enough 'there' there."
Should have done more than just expand the guest footprint. And that bottleneck in Frontierland should eventually get addressed by a Frontierland/Fantasyland expansion.

1. Move Philharmagic to Main Street and use its ride building for a D-ticket Mary Poppins dark ride
  2. Build Princess Fairytale Hall in place of the tents. Make it a high-capacity show like Philharmagic with M&Gs at the end.
  3. Put a new dark ride by Snow White (Sleeping Beauty)
  4. Close Speedway and demo. Give half to Fantasyland, half to Tomorrowland (everything behind Speedway to Tomorrowland though). Put Wonderland and Neverland on the Fantasyland side.
  5. Where Tea Cups and Cheshire Cafe used to be, make 100 Acre Wood mini-land
  6. Add Casey Jr. Circus Train ride and a Pinocchio D-ticket water ride (mini Splash Mountain) to Storybook Circus
  7. Leave room for expansion behind Mermaid and B&TB
  8. With the anchor behind the Tangled bathrooms and IASW.... Bald Mountain (E-ticket indoor/outdoor thrill coaster-dark ride hybrid that's perfectly synchronized to "Night on Bald Mountain") - 48" to 54" height requirement. MK's first true-blue thrill ride.
An anchor E, 2 Ds (Pinocchio, new PPF), 4 Cs (Caterpillar kiddie coaster, Labyrinth, new dark ride by SWSA, Casey Jr. Circus Train), 3 Bs (Pooh flat ride where Tea Cups used to be, all 3 M&Gs)

You also get a Mary Poppins ride to take over PPF.

So
-3+10=7 new attractions to increase Fantasyland's capacity.

New Fantasyland looks beautiful but the substance isn't there. I'd rather keep SWSA and get Bald Mountain over SDMT. Fantasyland could use something slightly skewed for teens/adults IMO.

jensenrick

Will this be on the final exam?

MerlinTheGoat

I also agree that New Fantasyland looks very nice, it's clear that Disney still knows how to decorate.

But I do think the problem is a bit more complex than there not being enough there. Yes that is a very big factor in the matter, but there's also a matter of the quality of what we did end up with (not the looks but the quality of the attractions). Especially considering the relatively mixed quality of the two new rides we got. The Little Mermaid ride is a let down, not a BAD ride (it has its rare moments) but it has the same problems as its DCA counterpart. Suffice to say, we would not be having discussions about its quality had Tony Baxter's vision of the ride been followed through with. Hell I think had Tony Baxter gotten his hands on this ride and been given a respectable budget, this could have been a real winner. As it stands though, even the noticeably improved DCA version needs a ridiculous amount of help (and WDW has yet to even get their improvements, let alone rumored further improvements being tossed around for DCA).

And while I think Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is a good ride (I concur with it being a nice but short D ticket), it needed a good 2-3 extra show scenes to achieve its full potential and what we expected it to be when first teased via concept art. The one show scene it does have though is excellent, I really don't have any complaints about it when you disregard its short nature. Though oddly enough I do think the outside could have turned out better from a visual standpoint (and as i've stated before, the lighting at night is somewhat underwhelming).

Fantasyland just for starters still needs (and has plenty of room for) at LEAST two more dark rides, if not more. Still woefully lacking in quantity compared to Disneyland. Give them good budgets and hand it to the team that did the one show scene in the Mine Train. Getting into armchair imagineering here, but there's plenty of potential and even non-cloned dark rides such as Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast (this one's show building should and still could have gone next to the restaurant behind Small World), Tangled etc. Or Aladdin for the guys, there's plenty of ideas (and it's too bad about messing up any Frozen potential). The important things are budget and getting the right people in charge of the rides. That along with fixing Mermaid's mistakes would go a long way to correcting the problems with FLE...

Last edited:

Texas84

Rode it twice Sunday. Waited 90 minutes to see the queue (listed time was 65) then did my FastPass. Thought there was going to be a fight with the people getting out of line to get food then getting back in. Anyway, I loved it and everyone else seemed to be enjoying it. The odd/even line seems to work well. The kids were eating up the interactive stuff. Surprised at how smooth the ride is.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Agreed IF TDO had built the version of the 7DMT and the DL version of mermaid there would have been a lot more substance in FL and it would have made the WDW FL the best in all the Disney parks.

MerlinTheGoat

My assumption is that his post had some typos in there, I'm guessing he meant to say the original longer Mine Train layout with the extra show scenes. And unless ford isn't aware Mermaid is pretty much a 1:1 clone of DCA's (I would assume he is), i suspect his comment was actually referring to the vastly more ambitious suspended Mermaid ride pitched by Tony Baxter in the early 90's but never built, I think intended for Disneyland Paris originally (there's a CGI concept video on youtube showing the ideas).

That would indeed add a couple of fantastic new rides. The quality of the new offerings would have been very good, but that still wouldn't address Fantasyland's lack of ride quantity (and the lines wouldn't be pretty, they're already out of control as it is). Even had Mermaid and Mine Train achieved their full potential, several more dark rides are desperately needed to more evenly spread out the crowds.

There's also still plenty of room to do this. Just offhand there are at least three places I can think of offhand being squandered by unimportant things that could be put to good use. Choosing to build a new dark ride in place of the old Snow White building instead of squandering the space on a meet and greet would have been a good start. There's also a sizable piece of land behind Village Haus and Small World. I don't wish to derail this into armchair imagineering, but i'll just mention Beauty and the Beast as an easy and obvious ride for this location. The area is next to the BATB area already and you can put the entrance of the queue next to the same Be Our Guest entrance, people already approach that area thinking there's supposed to be a ride there anyways and are disappointed to find otherwise. And then of course there's all the space being squandered by the circus tents, there's enough space there to fit another clone of Mermaid with room to spare. You could actually fit two or three smaller Snow White or Pooh sized dark rides in this area alone.

That's without even repurposing or removing anything of importance or significance. If you're willing to accept further changes than that and don't have massive nostalgia for the Speedway, that attraction takes up another massive piece of land (large enough to fit multiple rides, both for Fantasyland or Tomorrowland). I'm a fan of Philharmagic, but i'd perhaps accept its loss in favor or either a new ride or a much improved and expanded Peter Pan (Philharmagic could also be moved over to DHS). But there's plenty of space to work with before even considering repurposing anything important. And if enough people are unhappy with these possibilities then i'm fine with keeping them (though i'm not sure if there's a huge fanbase for the speedway anymore, something at least needs to be done about the nasty fumes).

Last edited:

Mike S

My assumption is that his post had some typos in there, I'm guessing he meant to say the original longer Mine Train layout with the extra show scenes. And unless ford isn't aware Mermaid is pretty much a 1:1 clone of DCA's (I would assume he is), i suspect his comment was actually referring to the vastly more ambitious suspended Mermaid ride pitched by Tony Baxter in the early 90's but never built, I think intended for Disneyland Paris originally (there's a CGI concept video on youtube showing the ideas).

That would indeed add a couple of fantastic new rides. The quality of the new offerings would have been very good, but that still wouldn't address Fantasyland's lack of ride quantity (and the lines wouldn't be pretty, they're already out of control as it is). Even had Mermaid and Mine Train achieved their full potential, several more dark rides are desperately needed to more evenly spread out the crowds.

There's also still plenty of room to do this. Just offhand there are at least three places I can think of offhand being squandered by unimportant things that could be put to good use. Choosing to build a new dark ride in place of the old Snow White building instead of squandering the space on a meet and greet would have been a good start. There's also a sizable piece of land behind Village Haus and Small World. I don't wish to derail this into armchair imagineering, but i'll just mention Beauty and the Beast as an easy and obvious ride for this location. The area is next to the BATB area already and you can put the entrance of the queue next to the same Be Our Guest entrance, people already approach that area thinking there's supposed to be a ride there anyways and are disappointed to find otherwise. And then of course there's all the space being squandered by the circus tents, there's enough space there to fit another clone of Mermaid with room to spare. You could actually fit two or three smaller Snow White or Pooh sized dark rides in this area alone.
If they needed an indoor Princess M&G so badly they could've built it where Enchanted Tales is. Didn't Disneyland Paris build its own indoor Princess M&G? And it didn't replace a ride, go figure :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom