50 MAGICal Enhancements for the 50th ...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm trying to keep a list of all rumored updates. Some of these are very far fetched but here you go.

Spirit said he had no idea what would count as one of the 50. Whether it's adding dolls to IaSW or the new lands of TS and SW. I would imagine WDW doesn't know at this point either. If they want 50 things by the time of the 50th celebration and come up short, they may start including things that happened earlier or are merely refurbs. If they manage to do more than 50 things, they'll just not count some of the things as part of the 50. It's a moving target, I would imagine.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirit said he had no idea what would count as one of the 50. Whether it's adding dolls to IaSW or the new lands of TS and SW. I would imagine WDW doesn't know at this point either. If they want 50 things by the time of the 50th celebration and come up short, they may start including things that happened earlier or are merely refurbs. If they manage to do more than 50 things, they'll just not count some of the things as part of the 50. It's a moving target, I would imagine.

You put this quite well.

I hesitated to start the thread, but then realized that there were at least a dozen threads talking about various aspects that are likely going to be marketed as part of this 50 for the 50th deal.

I am sure there are lists from Glendale to Georgie K's office, but I think a lot of things are in flux.

And any large scale construction that isn't DVC/hotel and hasn't already been announced or started is more unlikely to be part of this. Meaning, no, they aren't rebuilding EPCOT between now and then. They flat out are not. Because they're building and rebuilding a helluva lot all over property. ... Doesn't mean EPCOT might not have a major new attraction for the 50th ... and some lesser changes. But Chappie isn't reinventing the EPCOT experience in four years time without you already knowing about it.

And a few things that are very close to happening are still not done deals yet ...

matt9112

Today's a good day to be alive (even...) for a Disney fan: from the casual fans to the die-hands like myself (and most of us here on this forum).

We're getting updates for Mission: Space, BTM, Peter Pan etc. At least 2 new nighttime shows (maybe a parade?:cyclops:) about a dozen new rides -- a half dozen which are E-tickets mind you, in the upcoming years.

And to boot we're getting a far more innovative transportation system that nobody saw coming (except for possibly @marni1971 :p). That paired with the various road projects to boot.

And throughout other parts of the company, they're creating the best Star Wars films in decades, they've created the most complex superhero franchise in existence, and have brought back Walt Disney Animation with the best movies since the last century. PIXAR is having a fairly good streak too! Oh... and did I mention the nostalgia remakes (some of which are surprisingly good!), and Pirates 5, which looks to reinvigorate the tales of Captain Jack Sparrow.

While we may disagree on how they're running things, there's not really a point in not enjoying what's to come. I don't want IPs in EPCOT or whatever is happening, but I'll be very happy when I can go and ride a breathtaking new ride with my family and friends.

I hope we all can accept that change is happening, and instead of rueing for what once was, just smile when you look at the past.

So all the stuff that should have gradually been done over the last 15 years....but who am i. These things are long overdue but even burbank sees how stale WDW has become.

matt9112

I don't have a problem with no hatbox ghost. It was never in orlando and never intended to be there. I would prefer a unique orlando offering that is nothing like Anaheim

As a rule the mansion was meant to be a carbon copy but obviously changes and such were made like anything. (For example some scenes featured in the CA que where turned into formal scenes on the ride in florida)

999th Happy Haunt

I don't have a problem with no hatbox ghost. It was never in orlando and never intended to be there. I would prefer a unique orlando offering that is nothing like Anaheim
Actually both mansions were being built at the same time resulting in many duplicate figures were created, and it was confirmed somewhere that a second Hatbox Ghost figure for WDW was made, but was probably scrapped when the effect didn't work at Disneyland. So there was atleast an intent to have him placed in the Mansion. If WDW really wanted to put in a unique figure for the 50th they should install the "Man in the Web" somewhere in the mansion.

matt9112

That's exactly what I mean! It's great isn't it? They're finally doing everything!!!

Only because there sort of forced too....price increases can only cover so much. They know WDW has been slipping a bit. Combine that with more competition around and they need to improve.
I hope it is all grade A quality stuff but there recent track record isn't promising.

Daveeeeed

Only because there sort of forced too....price increases can only cover so much. They know WDW has been slipping a bit. Combine that with more competition around and they need to improve.
I hope it is all grade A quality stuff but there recent track record isn't promising.
I think it will be different, and include many IPs, but once you get past that you'll enjoy it!

Price increases are no different than any other successful theme park. As with preferred parking, or other costs.

Bottom like is the quality of the parks is going up, and will be on par or above on par with what they should be when all is done, so with the obvious price hikes pretty much everyone should be happy that is a Disney vacationer.

I'll still call out Disney when I see a money hungry move!:p

WDW1974

Original Poster
I think it will be different, and include many IPs, but once you get past that you'll enjoy it!

Price increases are no different than any other successful theme park. As with preferred parking, or other costs.

No, actually Disney being the big dog sets the market price. And their prices have been rising at an obscene level. WDW vacations in the 1980s and 90s were pricey, but they were not out of reach for most Americans. That is no longer the case. ... And Disney never nickeled an dimed. Parking was 50 cents in the 1970s. Today, preferred parking in those same spots in $40. A bit absurd.

Bottom like is the quality of the parks is going up, and will be on par or above on par with what they should be when all is done, so with the obvious price hikes pretty much everyone should be happy that is a Disney vacationer.

I'll still call out Disney when I see a money hungry move!:p

Price hikes are non-stop. Or do you think current pricing will be what you pay when (cue the John Williams Vader march) THE STAR WARS EXPERIENCE debuts?

Daveeeeed

No, actually Disney being the big dog sets the market price. And their prices have been rising at an obscene level. WDW vacations in the 1980s and 90s were pricey, but they were not out of reach for most Americans. That is no longer the case. ... And Disney never nickeled an dimed. Parking was 50 cents in the 1970s. Today, preferred parking in those same spots in $40. A bit absurd.

Price hikes are non-stop. Or do you think current pricing will be what you pay when (cue the John Williams Vader march) THE STAR WARS EXPERIENCE debuts?
It's going to continue to rise as with Universal. I don't see your point.

The difference between the two is that Universal was not as good as Disney and Disney stopped with expansions. So now Uni has caught up to Disney pretty much. Park admission and parking are both very expensive.

WDW1974

Original Poster
It's going to continue to rise as with Universal. I don't see your point.

The difference between the two is that Universal was not as good as Disney and Disney stopped with expansions. So now Uni has caught up to Disney pretty much. Park admission and parking are both very expensive.

My point is that Disney has continually driven price increases for the entire industry as the big dog. It isn't like when Disney wasn't doing a damn thing a decade ago that they were dropping prices or leaving them at one level. Disney can set industry standards on pricing. It does that. And WDW is now a very pricey proposition to visit, one that I would say is often not worth it.

But I see you've only been going since 2002, likely as a child, so you don't know what you missed or what true Disney quality is. You know the 21st century vastly overrated and costly WDW product.

WDWFanDave

Funny to see you mention the 50 cent parking in the 1970s. A cousin of mine sent me a pair of parking stubs from 1973 (looks like they are date stamped in April 1973), and parking was 50 cents - 48 cents plus 2 cents state tax!

My first trip was in 1978, then every couple of years after that. There is no way, even with inflation, based on what our family had for income, that we would have been able to take those same trips now. I'm very fortunate, and work very hard, so I'm able to travel more frequently with my own family, but prices are now only mildly palatable due to DVC and AP discounts. Actually not doing the parks this year, and will instead enjoy some DVC time at Vero (hopefully! Have never been there, but it looks/sounds nice).

WDWFanDave

My point is that Disney has continually driven price increases for the entire industry as the big dog. It isn't like when Disney wasn't doing a damn thing a decade ago that they were dropping prices or leaving them at one level. Disney can set industry standards on pricing. It does that. And WDW is now a very pricey proposition to visit, one that I would say is often not worth it.

But I see you've only been going since 2002, likely as a child, so you don't know what you missed or what true Disney quality is. You know the 21st century vastly overrated and costly WDW product.

I would echo this over and over and over again. I distinctly remember visiting in the 80s and even early 90s, when it was darn near impossible to find something visibly out of place (light bulbs that were burned out, for instance). First 15 years of the 2000s, different story. Have seen some improvement, but quality is still not what it once was.

Somewhere on this site is an amazing chart @ParentsOf4 put together that will help to add color to the ticket pricing that has increased at an ever-increasing rate, far outpacing actual inflation and taking time into consideration.

ParentsOf4

I would echo this over and over and over again. I distinctly remember visiting in the 80s and even early 90s, when it was darn near impossible to find something visibly out of place (light bulbs that were burned out, for instance). First 15 years of the 2000s, different story. Have seen some improvement, but quality is still not what it once was.

Somewhere on this site is an amazing chart @ParentsOf4 put together that will help to add color to the ticket pricing that has increased at an ever-increasing rate, far outpacing actual inflation and taking time into consideration.
I have lots of amazing charts! ;)

WDW Ticket Prices.jpg

BrianLo

This is an excellent point.

In my estimation Disneyland offered about 20 things for the 60th (I'm probably forgetting something). That's stretching it, but we certainly know WDW isn't really going to do 50 things in actual close proximity without stretching it.

Decor: General, Diamond Castle, Carthay, Emporium Windows x5 (you can count each as one to really stretch it)
Night Entertainment: Forever, Paint the Night, WoC: Celebrate
Day Entertainment: New DL band, added songs to Buena Vista Singers and Newsboys shows, Frozen in Royal Theatre
Attraction pluses: HM, Matterhorn, Peter Pan. Alice, Storybookland Canal Boats, Mermaid plussing (the later 3 more temporally disconnected and never marketed with the 60th)
Other: Grizzly Peak, Merchandise, Food, 60th kickoff, photo-op cut-outs.

Ironically, quote from LA times before the 60th: "Disneyland officials say the ride enhancements (Pan, HM, Matterhorn) are not part of the 60th anniversary celebration but will be launched in time for the event."

Honestly, I was a big fan of the DL 60th. So even if WDW uses some real funny math to get to 50, it sounds extremely promising.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes

You don't have to talk down to people just because they're younger. I appreciate all the information you share, but just cuz someone is excited about what Disney is doing isn't a reason to act condescending.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom