50 MAGICal Enhancements for the 50th ...

Mike S

I'd compare the early days of Walt Disney World to Beatlemania, which I am too young to remember. I can be told about it but I'll never truly "get it".

It's like the story I've told about the opening of Star Wars in 1977.

I remember being dragged to an opening day (not the opening day, May 25, 1977, which was only a limited engagement) 10 AM showing of Star Wars at my local theater by my brother-in-law (a Sci Fi fanatic).

I said no one goes to a movie at 10 in the morning, didn't even know they showed movies at 10 AM. My brother-in-law told me I didn't understand, this was a special showing. He said this movie was going to be big, really big. There were maybe 20-30 people in the theater. This was back in the days when movie theaters were large with hundreds of seats per screen.

The opening music was cool, I was absolutely wowed by the size of the first Star Destroyer, but what was it with all these robots. Where are the people? I didn't even begin to warm up to the movie until Luke finally appeared on the screen.

We stayed for 3 showings that day. Even in the days before cell phones, word got out quickly. I remember people on pay phones (remember those?) calling their friends to come to the theater. The last showing we stayed for was packed.

I've never attended another showing that could ever touch the magic of that first day. Those who have grown up in the post Star Wars era can't really fathom what it was like, especially in the early to mid 1970s, when movies (except Disney movies which really stunk in the 1970s) were targeted for adult audiences and nearly always were depressing to watch. (Just think Chinatown, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Three Days of the Condor, etc.) Even early blockbusters (e.g. The Godfather, Jaws, and Rocky) were cerebral, lots of gritty dialog targeted for mature audiences.

Star Wars completely changed the movie going experience. At the time, it felt like all other movies before it lacked the one thing Star Wars had an abundance of: joy.

Star Wars was the first "fun" movie I ever watched. It's a feeling that's impossible to explain to those who did not experience the 1970s and did not see Star Wars during its initial run.
If I had a time machine this is one experience I'd love to have but would it be the same with me having already seen it? Probably not.
Rather than bump an old thread, I'll bring up this post from Lee from 2014:
So young and naive back then...
It would be great to see this ride come to WDW. The preferred spot would obviously be at Pixar Place over at the Studios, but I wouldn't be too bothered if it was in Epcot.
Just goes to show how people can change. I've learned a lot in my almost 3(!) years here :)

michmousefan

Oh, I couldn't agree more!!! I say this every time we go to the Magic Kingdom. When I was a kid, 1980-1990, the first stop I made in the MK was the magic/mask shop. I wish I could remember the name. It was one of my most favorite things about the Magic Kingdom.

Edit: it was called "House of Magic"
I still have a HM Secret Panel Box that I got from the magic shop back in the late 70's. If they only made attraction-specific stuff like that now... outside of some $100 month subscription service or whatever...

Haymarket2008

Actually both mansions were being built at the same time resulting in many duplicate figures were created, and it was confirmed somewhere that a second Hatbox Ghost figure for WDW was made, but was probably scrapped when the effect didn't work at Disneyland. So there was atleast an intent to have him placed in the Mansion. If WDW really wanted to put in a unique figure for the 50th they should install the "Man in the Web" somewhere in the mansion.

There is a video of Imagineers at a panel for Haunted Mansion more or less confirming that Hatbox will come to WDW in the near future. Their reasoning was exactly what you said. But both Hatbox and the Man in the Web would be most welcome!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Funny to see you mention the 50 cent parking in the 1970s. A cousin of mine sent me a pair of parking stubs from 1973 (looks like they are date stamped in April 1973), and parking was 50 cents - 48 cents plus 2 cents state tax!

My first trip was in 1978, then every couple of years after that. There is no way, even with inflation, based on what our family had for income, that we would have been able to take those same trips now. I'm very fortunate, and work very hard, so I'm able to travel more frequently with my own family, but prices are now only mildly palatable due to DVC and AP discounts. Actually not doing the parks this year, and will instead enjoy some DVC time at Vero (hopefully! Have never been there, but it looks/sounds nice).

No, people don't get that. They give the whole "Disney was never affordable for the masses" line, which is total bullsh-- . WDW was actually quite underpriced when Eisner and Wells took over in 1984. But even with their massive hikes, it wasn't insane. Nothing like today. ... As to Vero Beach, I love the resort. Classy and understated and run by class acts starting with John, the GM. The beach isn't much, but that's just the area. And Vero Beach is a window into what FL used to be like before they paved over paradise and put in a parking lot, outlet mall, and timeshare resort!

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm a Spirit fan but yes, it was a bit of a talking down to someone younger, but not necessarily condescending. Young doesn't make you unaware or uneducated on what Disney used to be and could be again. JMO.

No, but you'll never have the life experiences or the perspective. I have many 20-something friends (even a few that I don't even pick up here for Spirited Quickees on what used to be the FW beach!) and they are so intelligent and have great minds, but there is something for actually having lived something and experienced an era.

Folks that love those tacky colorful arches that welcome you to WDW (and often result in accidents as idiots think they should be able to take photos under them) will never get the experience of coming to WDW when it was hidden away amidst miles and miles of forest and listening to Jack Wagner (the long dead voice of WDW who you might own a tee shirt of his Spanish line about the doors on the monorails) on WDW Radio (no, not Lou Mongello's tax shelter). Swimming in Bay Lake. MK closing regularly at 6 p.m. in offseasons and EPCOT closing at midnight regularly in peak seasons. There's a whole generation now that has no clue what getting into WDW pre-9/11 was like (no security theater). A generation that doesn't get when Disney wasn't what WDW was selling constantly. A generation that has no idea WDW once was a place with NO character dining. No pin trading. No timeshares. Almost no buses. No 400-pounders on stage (I know I'm going to take heat for this, but morbid obesity didn't fit the Disney ideal so those people, if hired, were backstage). CMs who took pride in their jobs... I could go on and on.

But experience and perspective come with age. I don't dismiss anyone with an intelligent thought just because they're younger (I need to drink their blood to stay young, after all!) But the reality of life is nobody wants to have a 25-year-old surgeon or pilot etc for a reason.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
To @Pionmycake's point, I'd check out Spirit's threads in politics to really see how rude and condescending he can be even when no one was rude to him. Completely changed my perspective on him.

Don't whine or I'll have to send you to the corner for a time out. While I have no issues with anything I posted on the "see how many insane people really exist here" forum, we are having a different discussion here. Why don't you focus on that? And stop the whining about how evil I am. Trust me, if people have been here for a while they know I make Steve Bannon look like a nice guy!:rolleyes::devilish::D

But to Spirit's point of me being "younger' that is true. But I have done in the thousands of hours of research, and have even profited from Disney's stock. I know pretty much all of the company's history including the parks. I am no different than someone in their 50's that started going to the parks as an adult. I may have not been able to experience "the best days", but even from going to Disneyland Paris... seeing how little crowds affect the service (and BTW their food is much better too), and heck even the Disney Cruise Line seems like old Disney.

Again, that is terrific. But, no, you don't know "pretty much all of the company's history" as I am not sure any of us here could truthfully state such an absolute. I know enough to know what I know and what I do not. ... But why not simply talk with us and not with a persecution complex? BTW, most people would not say DLP has better food than WDW. I love food in Paris and all of France, but DLP is very up and down. And while I have had some very good meals there, I've never had an excellent or amazing one. I have had many, many at WDW. ... You are right that DCL seems like old Disney, though. Even if you never experienced it.

BrianLo

But the reality of life is nobody wants to have a 25-year-old surgeon or pilot etc for a reason.

What about 30? :p

Something I'd encourage the people who missed the boat on WDW of yore (who can't obviously wind back time) to help supplement their perspective is to check out some of the other parks. A visit to Tokyo can certainly help change your tune that things *can* be done better.

Hopefully you aren't tied to kids at 25 and can take advantage of the freedom to do so.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'd compare the early days of Walt Disney World to Beatlemania, which I am too young to remember. I can be told about it but I'll never truly "get it".

It's like the story I've told about the opening of Star Wars in 1977.

I remember being dragged to an opening day (not the opening day, May 25, 1977, which was only a limited engagement) 10 AM showing of Star Wars at my local theater by my brother-in-law (a Sci Fi fanatic).

I said no one goes to a movie at 10 in the morning, didn't even know they showed movies at 10 AM. My brother-in-law told me I didn't understand, this was a special showing. He said this movie was going to be big, really big. There were maybe 20-30 people in the theater. This was back in the days when movie theaters were large with hundreds of seats per screen.

The opening music was cool, I was absolutely wowed by the size of the first Star Destroyer, but what was it with all these robots. Where are the people? I didn't even begin to warm up to the movie until Luke finally appeared on the screen.

We stayed for 3 showings that day. Even in the days before cell phones, word got out quickly. I remember people on pay phones (remember those?) calling their friends to come to the theater. The last showing we stayed for was packed.

I've never attended another showing that could ever touch the magic of that first day. Those who have grown up in the post Star Wars era can't really fathom what it was like, especially in the early to mid 1970s, when movies (except Disney movies which really stunk in the 1970s) were targeted for adult audiences and nearly always were depressing to watch. (Just think Chinatown, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Three Days of the Condor, etc.) Even early blockbusters (e.g. The Godfather, Jaws, and Rocky) were cerebral, lots of gritty dialog targeted for mature audiences.

Star Wars completely changed the movie going experience. At the time, it felt like all other movies before it lacked the one thing Star Wars had an abundance of: joy.

Star Wars was the first "fun" movie I ever watched. It's a feeling that's impossible to explain to those who did not experience the 1970s and did not see Star Wars during its initial run.

Love the post. ... and I had a similar SW experience. And loved it. But that didn't make me a SW fan for life ... largely because of what Lucas did ... and then it being a Bob Iger Legacy Acquisition.

But my experience was all about EPCOT Center. Watching it rise from truly nothing but swamp and scrub in the early 80s and then monorailing out to the site in April of 82 was just ... a mystical experience for me. And to then be there when it opened its doors to the world and buying this amazing thing called an Annual Pass (well, Mom and Dad did because I am not, contrary to popular opinion here, 71 years old!) for $75. It was this amazing futuristic and cultural playground that didn't talk down to its audience. That used tech to tell stories. That gave audiences credit for being able to sit in an attraction for 30 minutes and not get bored or crap their pants. That wasn't interested in synergy or selling Disney BRANDS or IP. And if you weren't there back then, you can't grasp what it felt like.

So clean, modern, well-maintained, and optimistic. Always optimistic.

And that's why today's wasteland makes me want to cry, even if you can meet both Joy and Sadness in the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom