WDW 2010: Same old pixie dust?

DisneyMusician2

Whether you think this is a good discussion or not it's in the wrong forum. There is no news nor rumors to be had in this thread. 74 just posted here since this forum gets the most action. :rolleyes:

Aw, who cares. If it gets more traffic and I get a good conversation out of it, I'm here anyway.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The last year WDW did not open a new Imagineering-designed attraction was 1985. But that year they debuted a new Fire Works Show at the Magic Kingdom and a new night time show at EPCOT Center "Laser Phonic Fantasy," which was the forerunner to Illuminations, and they opened a new Restaurant, Nine Dragons.

The last year WDW did not open anything new at all was 1979 (not counting rehabs).
Even worse, Laserphonic - indeed a retool of New World - premiered June 9th 1984, not the year after, leaving 1985 even emptier.

TURKEY

Aw, who cares. If it gets more traffic and I get a good conversation out of it, I'm here anyway.

Yet Conan belongs and half the other threads currently in News and Rumors do?
:shrug: :rolleyes:

It won't be long until people start showing up and talking about rumors they've heard from bus drivers and boat captains.

Atomicmickey

I'm pretty sure that WDW isn't doing anything in 2010 solely to generate more traffic, complaining, speculation and discussion at WDWMagic.

It's a conspiracy, and Steve is at the head of it.

Plus, no one has mentioned all the new merchandise, fresh candy, and new lightbulbs that will be changed out all year. Not to mention the new trashcan liners. This is all new stuff, and no one has mentioned it. :lol:

Orange Bird

Even worse, Laserphonic - indeed a retool of New World - premiered June 9th 1984, not the year after, leaving 1985 even emptier.

My mistake. Laserphonic Fantasy did open in 1984. I had it's opening date switched with Skylaidescope, the daytime show at EPCOT Center, which opened in 1985.

jt04

Sum of all Thrills is a 2010 addition and will be marketed as such.

The next years offerings come on line late in the previous year to work out any issues.

So this threads premise is flawed.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

The next years offerings come on line late in the previous year to work out any issues.

How is it a 2010 addition?
It's already been unveiled and officially opened in 2009. I don't see Disney doing any marketing on it - its way too low capacity to be hyped.

jt04

How is it a 2010 addition?
It's already been unveiled and officially opened in 2009. I don't see Disney doing any marketing on it - its way too low capacity to be hyped.

My post answered the question you ask. :lookaroun

I believe it will be marketed as a new addition as will the new and improved SM and the new additions and plussing of the F&G fest announced yesterday.

SMRT-1

Apparently people enjoy battling a curmudgeon :lol:

Atomicmickey

Sum of All Thrills made CNN and CNN.com as a "new attraction" when it opened three weeks ago. Thus, it is a 2009 addition.

"New marketing in 2010" is not the same thing as "New attraction in 2010".

So, bzzzt. No on that one.

One thing I do wonder about. Things like Kim Possible, the new "interactive queue" initiative, and other "hi-tech guest-centric" experiences can be added swiftly and without the need for cranes and such. I wonder if some of these electronic attraction enhancements will start to be rolled out. It's the sort of thing that no one would know about until it starts.

Think about something like "NOW, Walt Disney World has become your own Private Magic Kingdom. The World greets you, and <insert wild idea here>, now in 2010." Heck, I don't even understand what the possibilities are.

Point being, the whole park could be a new attraction if presented in a different, hi-tech way. Something like the Verizon app on steroids for resort guests.

*puts away fuzzy and cloudy crystal ball*

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I believe it will be marketed as a new addition as will the new and improved SM and the new additions and plussing of the F&G fest announced yesterday.
Not wanting to get drawn into this discussion too much, but that is a prime example of the company - not you jt - scraping the barrel. A minor diversion which opened in 2009, a refurb that is a shadow of the original and years overdue which also opened in 2009, and a festival. Not a lot to shout about.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
My post answered the question you ask. :lookaroun

Not even the most creative marketer can do a major push on Sum of all Thrills as something big for 2010. Its a nice minor addition to Innoventions, but it has a ride capacity of 8 guests. There is no way they could do a big push on this. If you suddenly had everyone showing up to ride this there would be a major issue.

But even putting all that aside, it was built, opened, and operated well into 2009. No way can that be classed as a 2010 addition.

CDavid

The last year WDW did not open a new Imagineering-designed attraction was 1985. But that year they debuted a new Fire Works Show at the Magic Kingdom and a new night time show at EPCOT Center "Laser Phonic Fantasy," which was the forerunner to Illuminations, and they opened a new Restaurant, Nine Dragons.

The last year WDW did not open anything new at all was 1979 (not counting rehabs).

Thanks for posting this information. It goes right to the heart of the discussion. Disney has made regular updates and additions to the parks, and to now go some three years between major additions is virtually unprecedented.

Nobody is saying you have to add something new every calendar year. Sum of All Thrills is indeed a 2009 addition, but were it a major attraction (which it isn't) opening late in the year then yes, it would have been that something 'new' to most 2010 visitors. A major addition late this year would have tided WDW over, perhaps, until Star Tours II arrives. Also, back when you had only one park, you didn't have to add nearly so much to keep things fresh (hence, no major 1979 addition). In 1985 Epcot Center was just three years old and therefore didn't need nearly the attention it begs for today.

Now, however, we have four parks, and none of them are exactly new anymore. That one big 'E' ticket they've been adding basically every year is marginal, at best, to keep four parks fresh (an average of just one major addition every four years), hence the argument that the parks are growing increasingly stale. That's never going to be true for every park guest, of coure, as the occasional visitor may find Soarin' or even Everest new to them. But most WDWMagic members are not typical Disney guests. We're better informed and we know what's new, what's coming, or indeed - what has grown old and stale. It is also true that many of us will still visit WDW even if nothing new ever opened. We would happliy enjoy Kitchin Kabaret and the World of Motion - but again, we're not typical. Disney needs new and exciting experiences to keep guests interested, coming back again and again, and spending their vacation time and money with the mouse. At a time when the economy is already in recession, Disney needs to give people even more compelling reasons to visit now in 2009 or 2010. The very last thing Disney needs right now is for people to have an excuse to put off a Disney vacation until 2012 or so.

So, the question remains (beyond giving away free food and ever steeper discounts) what exactly is Disney doing to make people want to visit next year? Again, I'll be there anyway.

mrksmpsn

Sum of All Thrills as a 2010 New Ride

Since Walt Disney World's "year" begins in October, perhaps Sum of All Thrills is considered a 2010 ride as a result. That would not be any different than what happens in a lot of companies who start a new year late in the year before (book copyright dates, for example).

Thus Sum of All Thrills would be considered by WDW, appropriately, a 2010 addition according to the Disney calendar even though it came online in the late 2009 calendar year.

Just a thought.

EPCOT Explorer

I'd argue that the music is the only classic aspect of this parade.

I feel like Spectro is tired. Maybe it's because I've seen it more times than I can count or maybe it's because I'm ready for a new offering.

I agree with Steve on CM importance in regards to the Guests' experience. When I worked at WDW, you were always told how important your interactions were to the overall experience. However, I think CMS are only part of the equation, but still a significant factor.

While some people may not like WDW74's style, I like his willingness to stir the pot and generate some form of discourse. Personally, I enjoy the differing viewpoints because it gives all of us a chance to see how the other half lives. While the threads and opinions may get a little bit political at times, they still generate an emotional response and if we lose our emotional connection, then we lose the ability to discuss and debate.

Back to the topic at hand... I'm not bothered by the lack of anything new considering we all know what is coming up. I'd rather see this year devoted to aesthetic upgrades and figuring out what else can be improved by next year's end.
Agreed in full. Love the Spectro music, that and a few other things, like the Spectromen and a few floats should be the only things that are kept. The rest can be new. :D

And yep, on 74. People don't like to think, I guess. I however enjoy a discussion where we can RESPECT one another, but still disagree and agree with our thoughts on The World.

Becuase..in the end...That's what we are all here for...We like talking about the The World. We just do it in in different ways. :D

That is quite sad. :lol:
Whether you think this is a good discussion or not it's in the wrong forum. There is no news nor rumors to be had in this thread. 74 just posted here since this forum gets the most action.
:shrug:

I find this news worthy.

What about Carnival de Lumiere? Was that a retelling, too? Same with New World Fantasy, right?

Steve...Why do you keep pushing this?:lookaroun:lol:

Do you know something we don't? :p (You probably do!:lol:)
OMG, ReDis' lifeless corpse comes popping out from the grave. :lol:
:lookaroun

mcjaco

Because people buy into Disney's marketing. And that's fine, I'm not going to trash Disney for the way the market, but Uni has two Disney-level theme parks in Orlando. A topic that any unbiased party will admit.

I'll agree on IOA being on par with Disney, but not USF. It's just a hodge podge of themes, like DHS or DCA. I still don't think IOA is a full day park though. As for unbias, I don't think you fit that criteria either. ;)

Right. Quality is the key, and both resorts are giving us that. Uni with RRR and Potter, and Disney with Fantasyland and Star Tours.

I don't think you can put RRR (which is having a plethora of issues), and an un-opened, behind schedule, ride into the category of quality just yet.

I'll no longer be reading your personal attacks against me, Steve.:wave:

Not defending Steve, but you fired the first salvo calling him deaf and blind. :rolleyes:

Steve, maybe your belief about Disney's customer service isn't so objective, either. Moreover, maybe that "vast majority of people" are the people here, who have a predisposition towards Disney.

Isn't that why we're all here? :lol:

Please. Grow up and join the real world. Everything isn't magical all the time.

And it isn't all doom and gloom either. Where's the healthy balance?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom