WDW 2010: Same old pixie dust?

CBOMB

Oh look, the same old tired stale drone from Mr. 74.

And it reads the same as if the new FL was never announced. How utterly predictable and overwhelmingly boring. :snore:

He's walmarted himself. :lol:

It is not a big deal considering the scope of the MK expansion that is in the pipeline.

And of course, there is time for more announcements. His complaints ring utterly hollow to me now that the FL plans have been announced and even he admits more is on the way.

The sheriff knows what he is doing and 74's baseless complaints will continue to fade into further irrelevance.

:wave:
Seriously jt04, do you have to try, and start a battle everytime WDW1974 post something? It really does get old with you stalking his every word.
That crush you have on him sticks out like a sore thumb. Besides, don't you have him on your ignore list.

So getting back to the topic, what does WDW have in store for us in 2010. Well.......nothing that I can think of, but I'm sure they believe their legacy, and announcements for future attractions is enough to keep the magic alive for a little while longer. You know, like a year or two or three.

WDW Vacationer

Remember that small edition coming to FL. I think it involved something like doubling the size of FL,adding an E-Ticket and multiple other experiences. Not that big of a deal.:rolleyes:

Come on! The flagship park is getting an expansion. There may not be anything opening like an attraction,but maybe parades,fireworks,stuff like that...

Exprcoofto

Seriously jt04, do you have to try, and start a battle everytime WDW1974 post something? It really does get old with you stalking his every word.
That crush you have on him sticks out like a sore thumb. Besides, don't you have him on your ignore list.

So getting back to the topic, what does WDW have in store for us in 2010. Well.......nothing that I can think of, but I'm sure they believe their legacy, and announcements for future attractions is enough to keep the magic alive for a little while longer. You know, like a year or two or three.

It's because if you look at all of WDW1974's posts earlier today they were nearly all negative it's extremely annoying. jt04 has a right to state what he did (wow, I just stood up for jt :lol:)

DisneyMusician2

All of which are on Disney's level. I've had just as many problems with Disney customer service in my life as Uni, and the Uni CM's are just as good as Disney's.

No, Universal cannot be seen in a day. If you run through it maybe. But if you take the time to check out all the beautiful details in the parks, each will take you at least a day to do.

You have preconceived notions on Disney, so Uni doesn't compare to you. Nothing wrong with that, but to say the parks aren't on the level of Disney is putting blinders on, IMO.

I believe that the relative size of Disney as compared to Universal allows Universal to need to take risks and build newer more frequently. Universal is regularly outdrawn by Disney, and they simply are trying to retain their marketshare.

Many, MANY things in Universal parks are great. I've been going almost as long as I've gone to Disney parks. But they simply don't feature the characters and movies a grew up with.

Disney is more concerned about maintaining their resort over the last few years, which is so much larger than Universal's, and requires more time and income to sustain.

I appreciate the talent going into the Universal Potter Project, but like so many things, I will believe it when I see it. Hopefully, this project will not put Universal in a precarious financial spot if it does not draw as well as they think it might. Competition is good.

For my personal preference, Universal simply does not give me the same satisfaction that Disney does. Call it "pixie dust" or "fanboy-ism" or some similar garbage broad-blanket term, but I applaud the future atractions that may not happen this year and am quite satisfied with the refurbs and small improvements around the parks. A new railing is not a minimal thing in my mind.

Either way, Disney should not get into a war of announcements every year. That is just a gimmick for people who are never satisfied, just as the constant celebrations are. Deliver quality, and the marketing should be simpler than people make it out to be. And I believe quality is on its way.

SirGoofy

Deliver quality, and the marketing should be simpler than people make it out to be. And I believe quality is on its way.

Right. Quality is the key, and both resorts are giving us that. Uni with RRR and Potter, and Disney with Fantasyland and Star Tours.

Like I said in my first post in this topic, which has been buried by the Uni/Disney conversation, Disney not building anything new this year is much ado about nothing, nor is this the first year this has ever happened.

nemofinder22

Here's my educated guess- We'll get the Parade of Dreams from California in October.

The current DLR rumor says that Parade of Dreams has been destroyed about a month ago,:( all but 2 and a half floats(half float Im guessing is either Beauty and the Beast or Lion King since each carried a back section to it). The AA, puppets, costumes and other decorative pieces were put in to storage.

The floats that werent destoyed would be refubished and find a new place in A Christmas Fantasy parade in 2010.

SirGoofy

The current DLR rumor says that Parade of Dreams has been destroyed about a month ago,:( all but 2 and a half floats(half float Im guessing is either Beauty and the Beast or Lion King since each carried a back section to it). The AA, puppets, costumes and other decorative pieces were put in to storage.

The floats that werent destoyed would be refubished and find a new place in A Christmas Fantasy parade in 2010.

They destroyed those floats!?:fork:

Honestly, they finally make a parade that I'd want to see handed down to WDW, and they destroy the flippin' floats. What a crock.

aladdin2007

Yea...I'm pretty sure they had one for the 25th if I'm not mistaken.

And of course Spectro.

True, and its time for a new day parade, something grand like Tokyo or Paris gets. Ok I know thats a believe it when I see it thought, but for the 40th I think its time. Theve been recycling the current same floats since what the 25th anniversary parade or since 2000? something like that.
Even though I dont want more lame celebration stuff, would love to see a specific big 40th geared to the MK, like the 25th was. They did that so well. But I heard the 40th was going to hardly be acknowledged at all so I dont know?

Would also be nice if they would give the Tiki Room attention and a new or back to the original show for the 40th. Maybe at least by the 50th? :wave:

SirGoofy

Wow, brain fart moment on Spectro! :brick:

Kinda sad when there's only 2.

There's probably more. I'm sure Martin will be along evetually and be able to tell us for sure. By my own admission, I'm not an expert on the old parades/fireworks.

Animaniac93-98

There's probably more. I'm sure Martin will be along evetually and be able to tell us for sure. By my own admission, I'm not an expert on the old parades/fireworks.

Does America on Parade count? Even if it was a duplicate of what went into Disneyland. Plus there's Donald's 50th parade, the Mickey Mania parade, Surprise Celebration parade etc.

In the past if no new rides/attractions were added at least parades would change frequently.

sponono88

Both DLR and WDW have suffered when it comes to parades. Gone are the days when you would get big street shows like the Aladdin and Lion King parades, Party Gras, etc. Pixar Play Parade is currently the only one that truly measures up to Disney standards, imo.

Parade of Dreams was another true quality production by the entertainment dept. and now of course, the floats have been destroyed. DL was supposed to get a new parade for the 55th, and last I heard those plans were scrapped. Unfortunately we're stuck with the Celebration Street Party for another year. I guess Disney is telling us - if you want a real Disney parade go to Tokyo!

WDWGoof07

Wow, what a negative thread to start. We got the recent announcement of a major MK expansion and the Star Tours update, and I admit I was kind of surprised. In the middle of a terrible economy, Disney announces bigger plans than I ever expected to see. How can that translate into it being bad that we don't have something new in one specific year, if we do have it in 2011 and 2012? Come on, people. Does DW really need a big, brand new attraction or expansion EVERY year? Most people aren't annual visitors who get bored if they don't get a new e-ticket once a year. And all these little refurbs we're getting have to count for something. The parks don't seem to be getting as neglected as they seemed to have been in recent years.

Personally, I continue to not understand how people seem to think Universal attracting some new guests due to Harry Potter being some terrible thing if Disney doesn't "fight back". Disney will not be in danger of going out of business because some visitors spend a little more time at Universal. If I prefer Disney, I still get to go there, don't I? Heck, maybe Harry will bring is Disney fans shorter lines. :)

Like any "fans" of anything -- be it TV shows, movies, comics, etc -- Disney has people for whom nothing is good enough. The beginning of a major expansion to a park that hasn't really had any in a long time is announced, and the reaction is, "Why can't we have something a year earlier?"

With the economy, things could have been a LOT worse. Lighten up!

As for the OT, there have been plenty of years since the parks opened where nothing new opened. This is much ado about nothing.
My sentiments exactly.

'74, your constant complaining is wearisome. If WDW is that stale to you, find a better vacation spot. Your money will be better spent and you'll be a happier man.

RSoxNo1

Wasn't there a rumor a while back about new filming for Soarin'?

Yes, the rumor seems to be that after filming is done for Japan's version of the ride, the production team will then begin filming Soarin' over the World. This probably means 2013 at the earliest for this. There was some speculation that this would be announced at D23, perhaps next year.

Okay, so they'll have the two most technologically advanced attractions that push the limit of what a dark ride can do.

Something the Mouse seems to be scared to try.

I enjoy going to Universal.

I think Spiderman is an amazing ride. I also love how when I go, I never have to wait very long for it.

What I don't get is the love for things that aren't really there. The queue is themed, but is it on par with Toy Story Mania, Dueling Dragons or Temple of the Forbidden Eye? I don't think so.

I also don't think it has a particularly elaborate story. There are better stories in theme park attractions, but the story in the ride is fine. What makes the ride is that it's basically the combination of a Star Tours/Body Wars vehicle (albeit smaller) on a track. The complaints about Toy Story Mania can also be applied to Spiderman in that it's largely screen based - the advantage that Spiderman has is that it's far more elaborate in how it uses those screens from a guests perspective. Sure, Toy Story Mania may actually be more complex, but guests perceptions probably wouldn't indicate that.

As for Universal on the hole. I think Universal's attractions do a better job at catering to the market that Disney fails to reach. That's the adult male demographic. This creates a marketing problem for thme as outside of fanbois, this demographic typically won't spend more than one day at a theme park. By not having attractions that are more appealing to families, Universal has positioned itself as a 1 day distraction as opposed to a week long destination.

Harry Potter as a land should have addressed this, as this is an even greater problem in Islands of Adventure. The problem is, there are no family friendly dark rides being built alongside Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. I'm eagerly anticipating the new attraction and the new land, but I don't think it's gonna be the crushing blow that others anticipate. If anything, it will hurt the attendance at the Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. I would be surprised if it affects the attendance at Epcot at Magic Kingdom.

Now getting back to the actual topic, Disney has cooled off on new projects in recent years.

2000: Journey Into Your Imagination refurb
2001: Share a Dream Come True Parade, One Man's Dream, Who Wants to be a Millionaire, Magic Carpets of Aladdin, Playhouse Disney
2002: Journey Into Imagination with Figment refurb
2003: Alien Encounter closes, Mission: Space, Mickey's PhilHarmagic, Wishes
2004: Stitch's Great Escape, Turtle Talk with Crush
2005: Soarin', Lights Motors Action, Crush 'n' Gusher, Journey Into Narnia
2006: Expedition Everest, Pirates of the Caribbean refurb, The Seas with Nemo and Friends
2007: Monster's Inc Laugh Floor, Haunted Mansion refurb
2008: Toy Story Mania, Spaceship Earth refurb
2009: American Idol Experience, Sum of all Thrills, Space Mountain refurb, Hall of Presidents refurb, Tomorrowland Transit Authority refurb
2010: (nothing)
2011: Star Tours 2.0
2012: New Fantasyland

I may be missing some things, but there seems to be a large gap betwen Toy Story Mania and Star Tours 2.0. I don't expect a D or an E ticket in 2010, but is it out of the realm of possibility to add a much needed B/C ticket to DHS and/or DAK? I don't expect it to happen, but it would fill the gap.

jt04

:rolleyes:

I'm sorry, I guess I'm not excited for Little Mermaid then? Even though I've been calling for it to come to MK since it was announced for DCA.

Or Be Our Guest Restaurant or Gaston's? Even though I've been clamoring for additional dining options at the Magic Kingdom

Or Star Tours? I mean, I only have it as my avatar and in my sig. But I mean, it's definitely going to suck.

And I guess having the reason for having the Dumbo concept art as my wallpaper on my computer is because I'm so sure it's going to suck, right?

Give me a break, Steve.

See Goofy that is my point. You and others seem to think every new add is about you. It's not, and you seem completely unable to relate to the target audience, parents and their children. Whom I suspect will be overwhelmed by the new Fantasyland.

Empathy is good. In case you don't know what I mean, it is being able to see through others "eyes" and relate to their viewpoint even if it isn't yours.

It's because if you look at all of WDW1974's posts earlier today they were nearly all negative it's extremely annoying. jt04 has a right to state what he did (wow, I just stood up for jt :lol:)

Thank you!!!

I never thought of it that way, you made my day. Have a good night everyone. :wave:

jakeman

See Goofy that is my point. You and others seem to think every new add is about you. It's not, and you seem completely unable to relate to the target audience, parents and their children. Whom I suspect will be overwhelmed by the new Fantasyland.

Empathy is good. In case you don't know what I mean, it is being able to see through others "eyes" and relate to their viewpoint even if it isn't yours.
I think SirGoofy is saying he wants all these things to come jt and was typing with sarcasim.

Apologies if I misinterpreted either of your post, jt and SirGoofy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom