WDW 2010: Same old pixie dust?

Exprcoofto

You don't like the topic, you have nothing to add, so move on ... I'm sure there's a thread about the new fountain/planter in T-Land that you can post about ... or maybe a new wall went up somewhere.

Right, because something like that is NEW, hence why it would be in this forum. :wave:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW1974
Please. Grow up and join the real world. Everything isn't magical all the time.

And it isn't all doom and gloom either. Where's the healthy balance?

I'm not sure there has to be balance. And, frankly, when Disney does something to wow me, I am not shy about praising them.

I had wonderful visits to DLP and DL recently. But all that did from a WDW perspective was point out how many things TDO gets wrong, how many things Disney P&R can still get right but opts not to in O-Town because they can get away with it.

I can praise many things they do ... may likely be doing so in short order because it seems Shanghai will be announced very shortly ... but I see nothing at WDW that engenders that right now.

Doesn't mean the place $ucks. Doesn't mean people are nuts for going.

It just means it is a very stale product and has been for years, and some us realize that isn't the Disney Way. Or, at least, it didn't used to be.

Again, the MK is the No. 1 'alleged' theme park in the world but hasn't had a major addition since 1992. Think about that. There's no excuse for that. Except bad, greedy, short-term management.

marihalfen

Well, even if there isn't anything (attraction) new on 2010, I don't see it as a problem. A whole new LAND is being built in MK! I'm saving every cent I have so I can go see it when it opens, and I sure if it was only one big attraction I would be as excited. Like when TSM opened I was like "I have to ride it when I go there", but not "Ok, I have to go there just to see it!".

AND I love to see things being refurbished, because that means Disney is busy trying to keep things looking as brand new and UPDATED as we would like to see them.

When people say there hasn't been any additions to the World on the past few years, they are forgeting about the hotels. That is ok, if you wanna keep the discussion inside the parks, but some serious work has been done on the resorts lately, specialy on the DVC subject.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Quote:
I'm sure there's a thread about the new fountain/planter in T-Land that you can post about ... or maybe a new wall went up somewhere.

You asked about the difference between you and Martin earlier.

He, like most of us, has no problem posting in threads like that.

It was more rhetorical, but thanks!:)

When people get excited over planters/fountains/walls/rest room rehabs/painting, I worry about the future of the parks.

There's nothing wrong with discussing that type of minituiae. But that kind of stuff is beyond minor. People need to put it in perspective. They're all 'givens' to anyone who has grown up with Disney parks, or should be.

I don't begrudge people talking about them. I do begrudge people passing them off as anything but what they are.

_Scar

Quote:
I'm sure there's a thread about the new fountain/planter in T-Land that you can post about ... or maybe a new wall went up somewhere.

It was more rhetorical, but thanks!:)

When people get excited over planters/fountains/walls/rest room rehabs/painting, I worry about the future of the parks.

There's nothing wrong with discussing that type of minituiae. But that kind of stuff is beyond minor. People need to put it in perspective. They're all 'givens' to anyone who has grown up with Disney parks, or should be.

I don't begrudge people talking about them. I do begrudge people passing them off as anything but what they are.

It's all the little things that make a Disney park truly great. Would you rather it be a Six Flags park with dozens of rides with no real detail? Cmon... that's what makes TDS, DL, DAK, Epcot, DLP, ect so great. It's the little stuff that count and you should know that.

Wilt Dasney

Remember when NBC used to promote reruns with "If you haven't seen it, it's new to you"?

Maybe Disney could get in on that. Ask people when they last visited, then e-mail them a list of all the new experiences awaiting them on this visit. :)

(This started out as a sarcastic post, but the more I think of it, this sounds like something they might do.)

MousDad

What else are we going to get all fanbois about until 2012? :p Gotta keep snorting that pixie, man.

BTW, you don't know anything about Typhoon Lagoon and cranes do you?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It's all the little things that make a Disney park truly great. Would you rather it be a Six Flags park with dozens of rides with no real detail? Cmon... that's what makes TDS, DL, DAK, Epcot, DLP, ect so great. It's the little stuff that count and you should know that.

I believe what is being said is that the little stuff is a standard feature at Disney. No suggestion that it doesn't count.

EPCOT Explorer

The nightime WS shows as I have them:

•Carnival de Lumiere 10/23/82 - 6/83
•New World Fantasy 6/83 - 6/84
•Laserphonic Fantasy 6/9/84 - 1/88
•Holiday Illuminations 12/94-
•Illuminations 1/30/88 - 9/96
•Illuminations 25(1) 9/21/96 - 5/97
•Illuminations 25(2) 5/27/97 - 1/98 (new music)
•Illuminations 2/1/98 - 9/18/99 (same as above “25” dropped)
•Illuminations 2000 - Reflections of Earth 9/22/99 -
Oh, I know that...:lol:...I was just wondering if it's the same show, only enhanced? I don't think we have vids of NWF and CDL.

Something we may not be considering is the fact that Disney (I believe) runs their calendar year on the same schedule as the Federal Government, i.e. the first day of the 2010 year would have been October 1. Under that, The Sum of All Fears ride would have been considered (by Disney at least) to be a ride introduced in 2010, regardless of the opening date being in October 2009. I know it's a marginal distinction to us, but for Disney it's a factor that could impact their current and future plans.
But "we" on the outside don't know that. People NOW think that it is part of 2009.

I don't look at 1985 as 'poor' ... I spent many weeks at WDW back then. It didn't feel tired or stale. I watched a Presidential Inauguration in May at EPCOT Center.

The Morocco pavilion had just opened in late '84 and was a major addition and Living Seas was fast approaching opening. I believe that was also the summer Disney had the Radio City Rockettes performing shows at America Gardens.

Disney did indeed debut Skyleidoscope over the lagoon. I'm trying to recall if there was a new stage show, but my memory is failing me (would have to drag out schedules and can't do that now).

Everything from dining to retail to park hours to entertainment hadn't been dumbed down as they have since.

And again, I am not talking about adding $200 million E-Tickets annually. There are many things that go into whether a park feels fresh.

Cutting pyro from shows, entrees from menus, hours from park schedules, entertainers from parks, variety from shops all contribute.
Well, perhaps that IS what we are getting now.:shrug: A in between year. Nothing good or bad, there, seeing that things are coming.

Quote:

It was more rhetorical, but thanks!

True, very true.

I however, do find it interesting because all these little things add up. And in that, you have a greater (or lesser) change to a park...I think it monitors it.

And hence, why I'm into that. :lol: :D

Just my perspective.

Remember when NBC used to promote reruns with "If you haven't seen it, it's new to you"?

Maybe Disney could get in on that. Ask people when they last visited, then e-mail them a list of all the new experiences awaiting them on this visit. :)

(This started out as a sarcastic post, but the more I think of it, this sounds like something they might do.)
That's how I get my parents into the parks...:lookaroun:lol:

"You havn't seen....":lol: Mom falls for it. Dad....Let's say that if the internet was around in 1972, he would have been a member of this site.:lol:

whylightbulb

From a raw computing point of view, I'd say that Toy Story Mania is considerably more complex than either of your examples.
Steve I don't think this is as cut and dry as that. Overall Potter's ride and show systems will be the most technologically advanced in the world including TSMM. Regarding the computing aspect there are many levels to talk about. There is the ride control system itself. From that aspect Potter wins. I mean we are actually working on a PDA that tech. services will carry with them that will alert them of the system's status in real time. If there is a fault it will indicate which vehicle, what zone and exactly what is wrong. The Tech. will be able to reset certain systems right from the PDA and will be given instructions as to what to try if that fails. The motion control programming and hardware is state of the art and has to move 47 vehicles through complex profiles integrated with unique show elements. Then there is the unusual safety and monitoring systems necessary to move complex industrial robotic arms through the show building that are capable of lifting 40 to 50 feet in the air and must avoid contact with elaborate show sets and other elements. The timing, motion, synch...believe me I could go on and on.

From a technology standpoint TSMM is impressive but doesn't come close to the complexity and, in my opinion, the overall experience that Potter will offer.

RSoxNo1

2010 and 2011 is the time to visit Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. I hope it happens, and I hope Disney panics. I'm not expecting a massive drop off, but if it happens I expect that would be a best case scenario for the fanbois on this site.

CBOMB

But that's just your personal experiences. :shrug:

This whole thread is "WDW is so stale. IoA is getting stuff. When is Disney not going to suck?". I'd be surpised if I was the only one to see this. This isn't even News or Rumors either, it's complaining and ranting.

100% correct! :sohappy:
Both of you have multiple post in this thread. Mostly complaining about the nature of the thread or about '74. Kind of funny that you two are still posting in it.
If you already knew the answer then why make a thread about it? :shrug:
Maybe he wanted to see if you knew.

TURKEY

I've spent most of the last 8+ years working/affiliated with WDW. I left earlier in the year. I'm going back to visit in 18 days (mostly people, very little parks).

As much as I'm attached to the place, I don't think I'll be going back for the parks until 2013 or after Fantasyland is finished.

If I make any trips to a Disney park, it would likely be California after DCA is finished.

Exprcoofto

In regards to my posts within this thread: I just wanted to get my point across, which I have done. I never stated that I disagree with this thread topic. 2010 at WDW will not be exciting and it's a shame such a huge resort like WDW gets treatment like that. I simply feel that this is just discussion, that's why there is a General Discussion forum. Plus, it put me over the edge how 74 comes back after a break of not posting and posts on several threads that were negative about the original discussion. It's okay to state your opinion and be negative, but when you do it constantly it becomes an annoyance and makes for a very un-enjoyable time coming to this site. (yeah, I know someone will tell me not to visit, thats nice. WDWMagic does provide good information and updates, but you have to weave through this kind of stuff first)

_Scar

Both of you have multiple post in this thread. Mostly complaining about the nature of the thread or about '74. Kind of funny that you two are still posting in it.

ROFL. WDW1974 complains inside and outside of this thread. Glad I'm not the only one who notices. Who cares if I'm complaining? At least I didn't start a whole thread about whining about WDW's future and comparing it to IoA.

BTW, most of my posts in here are about IoA, but selective memory...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Steve I don't think this is as cut and dry as that. Overall Potter's ride and show systems will be the most technologically advanced in the world including TSMM. Regarding the computing aspect there are many levels to talk about. There is the ride control system itself. From that aspect Potter wins. I mean we are actually working on a PDA that tech. services will carry with them that will alert them of the system's status in real time. If there is a fault it will indicate which vehicle, what zone and exactly what is wrong. The Tech. will be able to reset certain systems right from the PDA and will be given instructions as to what to try if that fails. The motion control programming and hardware is state of the art and has to move 47 vehicles through complex profiles integrated with unique show elements. Then there is the unusual safety and monitoring systems necessary to move complex industrial robotic arms through the show building that are capable of lifting 40 to 50 feet in the air and must avoid contact with elaborate show sets and other elements. The timing, motion, synch...believe me I could go on and on.

From a technology standpoint TSMM is impressive but doesn't come close to the complexity and, in my opinion, the overall experience that Potter will offer.

Nothing is ever cut and dry when it comes to these things.
I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how good Potter is when it opens :)

CBOMB

In regards to my posts within this thread: I just wanted to get my point across, which I have done. I never stated that I disagree with this thread topic. 2010 at WDW will not be exciting and it's a shame such a huge resort like WDW gets treatment like that. I simply feel that this is just discussion, that's why there is a General Discussion forum. Plus, it put me over the edge how 74 comes back after a break of not posting and posts on several threads that were negative about the original discussion. It's okay to state your opinion and be negative, but when you do it constantly it becomes an annoyance and makes for a very un-enjoyable time coming to this site. (yeah, I know someone will tell me not to visit, thats nice. WDWMagic does provide good information and updates, but you have to weave through this kind of stuff first)
What are you doing, following him around from post to post that he makes?

jt04

What are you doing, following him around from post to post that he makes?

You are the one who pops up everytime someone challanges him to act as his bodyguard. I think that you are the one who has a crush on 74.

Most of us would prefer he stay at that other place which he has turned into a ghost town with his gloomy posts and gloomier pals.

jt04

But to be fair, back in 1979, WDW consisted of one park, the Magic Kingdom, not four theme parks and two water parks.

Gotta be honest, if the best Disney can come up with marketing next year is an 8-person motion sim, a half-hearted roller coaster rehab, and the return of an ANNUAL festival... then that's just sad.

For the 50 millionth time, WDC and WDI's priority right now is DCA, HK and now probably China. Plus cruise ships, DVC's and a very heavy push on content both live action and animation. WDW is not a priority right now, but obviously will be as indicated by the FL announcement and also what is in the pipeline :zipit:.

This lull at WDW is obviously meaningless in the long term. Nothing to see here, moving on. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom