WDW 2010: Same old pixie dust?

Studios Fan

You're going back almost a decade. And sadly look at that list. How many things are simple refurbs? How many are replacement attractions (usually vastly inferior ones)?

For having FOUR major gates, WDW has been woefully short on both major and minor new attractions as well as new entertainment offerings be they seasonal, parades, pyro, shows etc ...

Agreed and if they were a regional park they couldn't get away with it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spectro is a classic at this point. Realized that on my last trip...It's become what MSEP is to Disneyland to our MK. I think it should stay...but be upgraded of course.:wave:

There's always a danger in labeling something a 'classic' because inevitably everything will be considered likewise by someone.

MSEP was a classic to me. Spectro always left be cold, although it was a very nice upgrade ... back in 1991.

In 2009, it doesn't compare to Dreamlights at TDL or the electrical parade they have at Universal Japan (name escapes me, but TDLFAN had some great pics a while back on Micechat).

At some point, it's time to move on. 18 years is an eternity in parade years ... and a lifetime for some folks in these magical parts!:)

Time for a new state of the art night parade at MK. It would have been great as the 2010 'new' MK offering. I'd settle for it as part of a 40th anniversary celebration.

_Scar

There's always a danger in labeling something a 'classic' because inevitably everything will be considered likewise by someone.

MSEP was a classic to me. Spectro always left be cold, although it was a very nice upgrade ... back in 1991.

In 2009, it doesn't compare to Dreamlights at TDL or the electrical parade they have at Universal Japan (name escapes me, but TDLFAN had some great pics a while back on Micechat).

At some point, it's time to move on. 18 years is an eternity in parade years ... and a lifetime for some folks in these magical parts!:)

Time for a new state of the art night parade at MK. It would have been great as the 2010 'new' MK offering. I'd settle for it as part of a 40th anniversary celebration.

You just suggested Spectro to be tossed aside? You, sir, are dead to me!

:lookaroun:lol::lookaroun No, really.

EPCOT Explorer

:fork::D

You know what that's for. :lol:

Yeah, Spectro is old, but it should get the MSEP treatment. Bring it into the 21st Century....The music is classic, effects? Meh. That needs to change.

For the 40th? I could see it. ;)

Disneyson 1

Umm…

- Refurbs of JC and maybe E:E?
- Citizenship Entry
- Space Mountain (with whatever wasn’t cut)
- New FL walls and such? Preparation for Star Tours AND prep. for that new DCL ship that’ll actually have it’s own water coaster!
- MuppetVision in HD!
- New Fairies (if that counts, I guess?)

(Best of all…)

- No themed “Year of…”!!!!!!!!

Also (needless to say) we’ll have a lot of unannounced thingies, similar to “The Sum of All Thrills”, KPWSA, and the Tiana stuff. I mean, who was really “buzzing” on the HM refurb?? Not really a buzz-worthy thing, but it turned out to be one of the most talked-about things of the last 3 years nonetheless.

But yes, in comparison to HP, it will be stale. And IoA will seem stale when FL comes out.

_Scar

Umm…

- Refurbs of JC and maybe E:E?
- Citizenship Entry
- Space Mountain (with whatever wasn’t cut)
- New FL walls and such? Preparation for Star Tours AND prep. for that new DCL ship that’ll actually have it’s own water coaster!
- MuppetVision in HD!
- New Fairies (if that counts, I guess?)

(Best of all…)

- No themed “Year of…”!!!!!!!!

Also (needless to say) we’ll have a lot of unannounced thingies, similar to “The Sum of All Thrills”, KPWSA, and the Tiana stuff. I mean, who was really “buzzing” on the HM refurb?? Not really a buzz-worthy thing, but it turned out to be one of the most talked-about things of the last 3 years nonetheless.

But yes, in comparison to HP, it will be stale. And IoA will seem stale when FL comes out.

E:E would never have a major refurb this soon. Just enough to fix the Yeti. 2-4 weeks-ish?

And I sorta loved the YoaMD concept... is that still kinda around? Is there still a dream squad?

Disneyson 1

I think the Dream Squad is kinda around to give people the Grand Marshal and the Cinderella Suite if there's no fancy celebrity in town.

goreesha

Universal targets Men in general wether it be 5 year olds or 50 year olds. There are barely any girl attractions.

This is the reason why I've never been to Universal Orlando, though I've wanted to go. My wife is unwilling to sacrifice even one day of WDW for the Universal parks. And she is not blinded by pixie dust. In fact, she likes to go other places than WDW, but if we are going to Orlando, she will not go to Universal. She said she would be willing to go to Seaworld but Universal has no appeal to her at all.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I think you have to consider that Disney as a whole, and including the current park offering does represent real pixie dust to many many guests - even taking the marketing out of it (true pixie dust never goes out of style, no matter how old it is) . For many guests, it isn't the latest ETicket, or the latest firework show that they take away with them, it's an interaction with a character or a cast members, the first site of the castle, and so on. It sounds very cheesy, but talking to people outside of the fan community, this is the kinda thing you hear.

That's true, but it doesn't mean that Disney should be allowed to rest on its laurels or coast on the amazing legacy of the greats who created WDW to begin with.

It's much like watching a young child on Christmas morning with the presents. After all the money spent, all the wonderful gifts bought, how often do you see the kid playing in the box?

People may recall the 'highlight' of a trip being an anniversary kiss on the beach at the Poly ... or Goofy giving their toddler extra attention at Chef Mickey's ... or a boat captain that tells jokes on the way to the MK ... or getting some other 'magical moment' ... BUT ... none of those are what bring people to WDW to begin with. Those are the truly magical extras. But that's what they are.

Extras.

The cherry on the ice cream sundae.

EPCOT Explorer

E:E would never have a major refurb this soon. Just enough to fix the Yeti. 2-4 weeks-ish?

And I sorta loved the YoaMD concept... is that still kinda around? Is there still a dream squad?
Capacityspeaking....Yeah, it can't have the refurb.

SHOW speaking...it needs it.:wave:

TheBeatles

Spectro is a classic at this point. Realized that on my last trip...It's become what MSEP is to Disneyland to our MK. I think it should stay...but be upgraded of course.:wave:

I'd argue that the music is the only classic aspect of this parade.

I feel like Spectro is tired. Maybe it's because I've seen it more times than I can count or maybe it's because I'm ready for a new offering.

I agree with Steve on CM importance in regards to the Guests' experience. When I worked at WDW, you were always told how important your interactions were to the overall experience. However, I think CMS are only part of the equation, but still a significant factor.

While some people may not like WDW74's style, I like his willingness to stir the pot and generate some form of discourse. Personally, I enjoy the differing viewpoints because it gives all of us a chance to see how the other half lives. While the threads and opinions may get a little bit political at times, they still generate an emotional response and if we lose our emotional connection, then we lose the ability to discuss and debate.

Back to the topic at hand... I'm not bothered by the lack of anything new considering we all know what is coming up. I'd rather see this year devoted to aesthetic upgrades and figuring out what else can be improved by next year's end.

_Scar

I think the Dream Squad is kinda around to give people the Grand Marshal and the Cinderella Suite if there's no fancy celebrity in town.

Grand Marshall? Sorry for my dumb question, but what is that? :shrug:

This is the reason why I've never been to Universal Orlando, though I've wanted to go. My wife is unwilling to sacrifice even one day of WDW for the Universal parks. And she is not blinded by pixie dust. In fact, she likes to go other places than WDW, but if we are going to Orlando, she will not go to Universal. She said she would be willing to go to Seaworld but Universal has no appeal to her at all.

My mom loves IoA surprisingly. She likes the thrill and water rides especially. You should tell her that although the concepts of each island are mainly for males, everything is basically for both sexes. IoA is worth seeing at least once along with USF.

Disneyson 1

^ The Grand Marshal leads the parade in the (now) balloon-infested horse-drawn carriage. They're a family that waves to the crowd and stuff.

And yeah, IoA is great for theming and I DO like the rides there, but even if you drink in everything there is to do there, you'll be done in less than a day. Harry WILL change this, esp. with the black horse MagiQuest (the wand game taking place park-wide) swooping in.

It's funny, though. Disney's revealed almost all of Harry's secrets to the public. They've revealed the always-3D projection technology in TSMM, they unceremoniously unmask the magic of the flying brooms in The Sum of All Thrills, and MagiQuest's premise is blatantly exposed in KPWSA. They seem to be laying the seeds of disappointment, a smart move.

_Scar

^ The Grand Marshal leads the parade in the (now) balloon-infested horse-drawn carriage. They're a family that waves to the crowd and stuff.

And yeah, IoA is great for theming and I DO like the rides there, but even if you drink in everything there is to do there, you'll be done in less than a day. Harry WILL change this, esp. with the black horse MagiQuest (the wand game taking place park-wide) swooping in.

It's funny, though. Disney's revealed almost all of Harry's secrets to the public. They've revealed the always-3D projection technology in TSMM, they unceremoniously unmask the magic of the flying brooms in The Sum of All Thrills, and MagiQuest's premise is blatantly exposed in KPWSA. They seem to be laying the seeds of disappointment, a smart move.

Grand Marshall doesn't sound very exciting and appealing as I would of thought :/. Curious, has someone seen the Dream Squad give away Cinderella Suite in person? Must suck to be so close. :lol:

You could get IoA done in one day IF the lines are short. There's still a ton to do.

HPatFJ has not been exposed whatsoever. SoaT is completely different in the fact that Hp is a kuka on a track which means... well... I'm not quite sure since the possibilities are endless. Plus it isn't a simulator or does it use screens (or at least that's what I've come to presume, photos of ride props have been leaked already). Plus, wands interest me way more than Kim Possible. :lol:

SMRT-1

JT ... your online bulge is showing yet again.

You can't resist me.

The 'new' Fantasyland isn't really new, so much as reworked. I'm very happy to see it happen, even in its dumbed down state. ... But that's a project that won't show significant progress much before 2012.

After years of staleness, I posed a simple query. What's coming to WDW in 2010.

The answer is nothing.

If you already knew the answer then why make a thread about it? :shrug:

the-reason14

Well atleast they're doing something. Nothing new maybe coming out in 2010, but atleast we have things to look forward to in the years to come. Some folk are never happy. If they could really use pixie dust, Im sure they would have all the new additions ready tomorrow, but it doesnt work like that. WDW has four parks vs Uni's two, so its easier for them to add more. I mean they just announced a major addition to the MK, after so many people here were whining about how the MK recieved the least amount of love. Would you rather another AI type show next year, or an E ticket within a majorly overhauled land in a few years? I'd take the E ticket and go to Disneyland next year. Next :cool:

Orange Bird

The last year WDW did not open a new Imagineering-designed attraction was 1985. But that year they debuted a new Fire Works Show at the Magic Kingdom and a new night time show at EPCOT Center "Laser Phonic Fantasy," which was the forerunner to Illuminations, and they opened a new Restaurant, Nine Dragons.

The last year WDW did not open anything new at all was 1979 (not counting rehabs).

JLW11Hi

While some people may not like WDW74's style, I like his willingness to stir the pot and generate some form of discourse. Personally, I enjoy the differing viewpoints because it gives all of us a chance to see how the other half lives. While the threads and opinions may get a little bit political at times, they still generate an emotional response and if we lose our emotional connection, then we lose the ability to discuss and debate.

Nicely said.

MousDad

The last year WDW did not open a new Imagineering-designed attraction was 1985. But that year they debuted a new Fire Works Show at the Magic Kingdom and a new night time show at EPCOT Center "Laser Phonic Fantasy," which was the forerunner to Illuminations, and they opened a new Restaurant, Nine Dragons.

The last year WDW did not open anything new at all was 1979 (not counting rehabs).

What an informative post. This is some very interesting and sobering information, which I think transcends the personality conflicts and indicates that the OP's original point is valid and worth discussing.

And poor 1985. Even Laserphonic Fantasy, if I'm right on this, wasn't actually all that new, but rather a re-tooling of New World Fantasy, which debuted in 1983.

Exprcoofto

Whether you think this is a good discussion or not it's in the wrong forum. There is no news nor rumors to be had in this thread. 74 just posted here since this forum gets the most action. :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom