Disney's Moana

Sped2424

Original Poster
"Shiny" feels a lot like "Poor Unfortunate Souls" to me.
I can see that. As for the references there are two easter eggs!
One is flounder who makes an appearance in the movie and the other is a direct reference to sebastian that can be found after the credits ;)

Tom Morrow

This was fantastic. Familiar enough to be in the realm of Disney classics, but different enough to feel completely fresh. Expertly walks the line between too goofy and too serious, just like Pixar. Actually, Disney and Pixar are now basically indistinguishable in quality.

Amazing music, and I hope none of it becomes the next "Let it Go"

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Actually, Disney and Pixar are now basically indistinguishable in quality.

They're getting indistinguishable in many ways. Lasseter has made sure they both follow the same group creative process (which is what has brought the quality up for Disney). They can certainly share tech between the studios. They have the same producer and distributor.

Pixar has gone into the princess realm (Brave) and adventure (Cars), which was Disney's thing. Disney just needs one story driven tear-jerker to be fully Pixar'd. I don't know if Wreck-it Ralph 2 or Gigantic will do the trick. But other than that, the two studios might as well be one studio with two teams.

flynnibus

Premium Member
just got back from seeing it.. fell asleep somewhere before Maui disappears.

Music is good, but was more of a musical than I was anticipating (at least in the opening 1/3rd of the film). Was glad the sidekicks didn't feel as forced and formulatic as some of Disney's previous films.

The animation is amazing.. how they can pull off humans while still keeping them cartoon'ish now is amazing.

Went in blind... came out saying 'good, but no hurry to see it again'. I did watch the credits tho to check out the song credits..

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward

Music is good, but was more of a musical than I was anticipating (at least in the opening 1/3rd of the film). Was glad the sidekicks didn't feel as forced and formulatic as some of Disney's previous films.

The animation is amazing.. how they can pull off humans while still keeping them cartoon'ish now is amazing.

Went in blind... came out saying 'good, but no hurry to see it again'. I did watch the credits tho to check out the song credits..
The hair looks really good. The scene where Moana get covered in sand. It looked great!

5thGenTexan

I dozed off during the fighting coconut part for a few minutes. However, I didn't see it for me, I went because my kids wanted to see it. I liked it for the most part, much more than the Good Dinosaur.

Figments Friend

I recently saw this with a friend who expressed an interest in seeing 'Moana'.
If she had not suggested seeing it I probably would not have bothered to in a theater.
I love animation, and typically insist on a in-theater showing, but recent Disney films have not really struck my interest enough to motivate me to do so as I used to.
This was one of them, but I went with her for the fun of doing something together.
Went in spoiler free and open minded.
I knew very little about it pre-release.

I was pleasantly surprised.
A enjoyable film for the most part, and very pretty to look at.
Beautiful color palette for the backgrounds and appealing scenery.
The songs were good, and the story was engaging enough to hold your attention.
A few elements were quite nicely done.

With that being said, despite how pretty it all looks and the cutting edge CGI tech being used, the film was not all that memorable or emotionally engaging to me.
A enjoyable hour + experience, yes, but not something that stays with you once leaving the theater.
A find most of Disney's recent animated features to be of a similar nature.
Pretty to look at, but not a lot of depth to make it really resonate or become a memorable movie experience.
It's just kind of 'there'...up on the screen....and not effecting you on a emotional level.
You mileage may vary, of course.

It was nice however, and worth seeing at least once.
Of all the recent Disney animated films to come out over the last few years, this is the sole one I would not mind seeing again.
The story is interesting and some of the visual images are beautifully done.

-

CaptainAmerica

I recently saw this with a friend who expressed an interest in seeing 'Moana'.
If she had not suggested seeing it I probably would not have bothered to in a theater.
I love animation, and typically insist on a in-theater showing, but recent Disney films have not really struck my interest enough to motivate me to do so as I used to.
This was one of them, but I went with her for the fun of doing something together.
Went in spoiler free and open minded.
I knew very little about it pre-release.

I was pleasantly surprised.
A enjoyable film for the most part, and very pretty to look at.
Beautiful color palette for the backgrounds and appealing scenery.
The songs were good, and the story was engaging enough to hold your attention.
A few elements were quite nicely done.

With that being said, despite how pretty it all looks and the cutting edge CGI tech being used, the film was not all that memorable or emotionally engaging to me.
A enjoyable hour + experience, yes, but not something that stays with you once leaving the theater.
A find most of Disney's recent animated features to be of a similar nature.
Pretty to look at, but not a lot of depth to make it really resonate or become a memorable movie experience.
It's just kind of 'there'...up on the screen....and not effecting you on a emotional level.
You mileage may vary, of course.

It was nice however, and worth seeing at least once.
Of all the recent Disney animated films to come out over the last few years, this is the sole one I would not mind seeing again.
The story is interesting and some of the visual images are beautifully done.

-

Wow, that's surprising. I agree with you that I felt no connection to recent releases (Wreck-It Ralph was okay but Frozen and Big Hero 6 were absolute disasters for me). But I couldn't disagree more about Moana. This was, in my opinion, the strongest Walt Disney Feature Animation film in 22 years, and better than most Pixar films along the way too. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the
tweet joke
, which felt out of place and unnecessarily dated the fim.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Wow, that's surprising. I agree with you that I felt no connection to recent releases (Wreck-It Ralph was okay but Frozen and Big Hero 6 were absolute disasters for me). But I couldn't disagree more about Moana. This was, in my opinion, the strongest Walt Disney Feature Animation film in 22 years, and better than most Pixar films along the way too. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the
tweet joke
, which felt out of place and unnecessarily dated the fim.
I agree. Huge positive message of not settling for the status quo and pushing yourself outside of the confines of tradition for traditions sake. Best Disney movie since Lion King in my opinion.

Matt_Black

I agree. Huge positive message of not settling for the status quo and pushing yourself outside of the confines of tradition for traditions sake. Best Disney movie since Lion King in my opinion.

It's good, but it strikes me as bog standard "Hero's Journey" stuff. Excellently made bog standard stuff, mind you, but still. Granted, after some truly brilliant and innovative scripts like Zootopia or Big Hero 6, WDAS set themselves a pretty high bar to clear.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom