Marvel Land in DCA?

lazyboy97o

Sure, demand for Disneyland will only increase in the future, barring some major socio-cultural shift that no one can currently imagine.

If they close the existing 1,200 space Pumbaa lot that is parked via brute force and then serviced by a rag-tag fleet of inefficient city buses and/or a 1 mile walk to the parks in January '16 and turn it into a 5,000 space structure with direct moving-sidewalk access across Harbor Blvd. to the parks that will be a HUGE IMPROVEMENT for 2018. That gains them not just 3,800 spaces, but a vastly improved customer experience.

In addition to the 2,000+ spaces for CM's they have just finished (Harbor/Ball CM lot) or just begun building (Katella CM lot expansion), there would be an additional 6,000 spaces by the time Star Wars Land opens by 2019-20.

Not doing anything is always an option, and TDA has perfected that strategy in the last decade. TDA appears to be changing their parking strategy abruptly now, and I'll take the extra 6,000 spaces by '18 over doing nothing for another decade.
More parking is not the only option. Aside from the number of spaces, getting to them is also an issue.

TP2000

More parking is not the only option. Aside from the number of spaces, getting to them is also an issue.

Agreed. And that's the big flaw with the 3,000+ spaces in the Toy Story lot, and why I don't use that lot.

But the Pumbaa structure site is plopped literally at the end of major freeway offramps/onramps, and on an over-built thoroughfare (Disney Way) that was built way too wide in 1999 because Disney claimed they were going to build the Pumbaa structure within a few years of DCA's opening.

Pumbaa is the blue plot on Disney Way, Toy Story is the red/blue plot further south on Harbor Blvd.

disney-parking-map-graphic.jpg

A 5,000 space parking structure on the Pumbaa lot linked to Disneyland via skybridge over Harbor Blvd. would be a perfect solution. It would offer a dramatically improved parking situation over what exists there now.

Last edited:

GiveMeTheMusic

With Marvel land they could bring that Iron-Man attraction being made in Hong Kong Disneyland to Anaheim.

That won't happen for a few reasons, the first being that that ride is lame. Sorry, it's just Star Tours with Iron Man. Secondly, the film for the ride expressly takes place in Hong Kong. It would need to be completely remade for another park. Thirdly, HKDL often requires a period of exclusivity for its new attractions. DCA's Marvel land will have a unique and new attraction built just for DCA, which is a good thing.

D

Deleted member 107043

Sorry, it's just Star Tours with Iron Man.

That may be true, but it wouldn't exclude the attraction from DLR.

It would need to be completely remade for another park.

When they brought Timekeeper over to the MK from DLP they didn't do much (I think they added a NY flyover scene to the Orlando version) to the actual film which had a distinctly European viewpoint. On the other hand, this is Marvel, one of the company's most valuable brands, so who can say that Disney wouldn't redo any necessary scenes to place the storyline in Southern California? It's all mostly CGI anyway, and Disney owns ILM, so how complicated would a remake be?

Thirdly, HKDL often requires a period of exclusivity for its new attractions.

I know that Disney has exclusivity agreements with it's HK partners, but by my estimation it's going to be around 2021 or later when SW land finally opens, which will be 5 years after it lands in HKDL. I'm not insisting that a version of HKDL's Iron Man attraction is coming to DLR, just that at this point it's probably too early to rule it out.

GiveMeTheMusic

That may be true, but it wouldn't exclude the attraction from DLR.

When they brought Timekeeper over to the MK from DLP they didn't do much (I think they added a NY flyover scene to the Orlando version) to the actual film which had a distinctly European viewpoint. On the other hand, this is Marvel, one of the company's most valuable brands, so who can say that Disney wouldn't redo any necessary scenes to place the storyline in Southern California? It's all mostly CGI anyway, and Disney owns ILM, so how complicated would a remake be?

I know that Disney has exclusivity agreements with it's HK partners, but by my estimation it's going to be around 2021 or later when SW land finally opens, which will be 5 years after it lands in HKDL. I'm not insisting that a version of HKDL's Iron Man attraction is coming to DLR, just that at this point it's probably too early to rule it out.

Iron Man would be much more of a makeover than Timekeeper. The ride film is completely set in the city of Hong Kong. All new dialogue, backgrounds, etc. would be needed - not saying it couldn't be done, but it wouldn't be simple. It would take doing, and frankly, I don't think anyone's excited enough about that ride to want to clone it.

Besides that, we shouldn't want them to. The new E ticket would be much better and far more in line with new ride standards, which IME isn't. Combine that with space premiums in DCA expansion pads, and I just don't think we'll see it here. Which is fine.

lazyboy97o

You're a Chinese-American who lives in California. You've gone to China to see your ancestral homeland and visit the Stark Expo while in Hong Kong SAR, a brilliant example of the unifying administrative work carried out by the Central Government of the People's Republic. Now it fits, no changes necessary plus it sucks up to the commies. :)

Last edited:

GiveMeTheMusic

You mean like how they reshot Soarin' for Epcot so it didn't just take place in California and the end flyover wasn't over Disneyland on the other side of the country? Oh wait...

It's really pathetic that Soarin' has played in its original DCA state at Epcot for 10 years. So often, Disney just doesn't care (and neither do WDW guests apparently).

D

Deleted member 107043

The ride film is completely set in the city of Hong Kong. All new dialogue, backgrounds, etc. would be needed - not saying it couldn't be done, but it wouldn't be simple. It would take doing, and frankly, I don't think anyone's excited enough about that ride to want to clone it.

Considering that the prevailing rumor is that Marvel is going in DCA (ugh) it looks like it may not replace Star Tours anyway. With that said, it's fun to speculate and all, but I still say it's far too early to draw any conclusions on what Disney will do or not do with the franchise at DLR.

You mean like how they reshot Soarin' for Epcot so it didn't just take place in California and the end flyover wasn't over Disneyland on the other side of the country?

Exactly.

RoadTrip

Marvel almost has too many characters and films. How do you decided which one(s) to base an attraction or two on? Guess I've just never been a huge Marvel fan. The only Marvel film that really excited me was Guardians of the Galaxy, and I almost decided not to see it thinking it would be "just another Marvel film".

Californian Elitist

Marvel almost has too many characters and films. How do you decided which one(s) to base an attraction or two on? Guess I've just never been a huge Marvel fan. The only Marvel film that really excited me was Guardians of the Galaxy, and I almost decided not to see it thinking it would be "just another Marvel film".

It's pretty obvious what/who they'd base the land/attraction on, to me at least. Yes, there are hundreds of characters, but there are only a handful that are insanely popular right now.

Vegas Disney Fan

Considering that the prevailing rumor is that Marvel is going in DCA (ugh) it looks like it may not replace Star Tours anyway. With that said, it's fun to speculate and all, but I still say it's far too early to draw any conclusions on what Disney will do or not do with the franchise at DLR.
Even with the Marvel expansion going to DCA I'll be shocked if Iron Man doesn't take over Star Tours when Star Wars land opens, especially with the meet and greet in Innoventions. It just makes too much financial sense to reuse the simulators rather than tear apart the building to move them and then have to build an entirely new ride to replace it.

It certainly wouldn't be the first character to be found in multiple parks.

Stevek

Either Captain America or Iron Man. Most likely Captain America IMO
Avengers, Iron Man, Captain America & Thor...the 4 obvious. Though I think you could make something a little less "serious" almost with a comedic tone if you incorporated something with Guardians.

Stevek

Agreed. And that's the big flaw with the 3,000+ spaces in the Toy Story lot, and why I don't use that lot.

Interestingly enough, the TS lot is the only one we use. Only once have we ever had an issue getting in or out in a very timely manner. While there is something special about a Disneyland tram, we've always felt it was much more convenient to get to/fro TS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom