The Creator Games!: An Imagineering Competition

MonorailRed

Applebees
@MonorailRed
50396350.jpg

tumblr_m9a0u6GWz21r115hxo2_250.gif

I am retired.

But in other news: Yes! Another artist in the Circle of the forum!

tumblr_mrzxgtKdgx1s2dgaeo3_250.gif

DinoInstitute

Original Poster
Session 2: Operation Rejuvenation
AoI Challenge

AoI, or Aspects of Imagineering, Challenges focus on the little things that make up an attraction or an area, but are still greatly important. These challenges are only 24 hours, but are optional to whether you play or not. There are some restrictions in terms of rules, but the winner will receive an advantage going forward.
IMAGE_1671.jpg

Following this session's theme of fixing up the old, your first AoI will focus of adding kinetics to a dull area of WDW.

Kinetics is a term used by WDI, and refers to movement and motion in an area, that gives it life and energy to draw people in or make it exciting. An example of this could be the cars zooming past the entrance at Test Track, jumping water fountains like those found at Epcot, or even just the changing colors of lights.

Kinetic energy is an important aspect of Imagineering, and now your task is to find any area of WDW, whether in a park or elsewhere, that you consider to be rather dull, and bring new energy and lift into it by adding some kinetics. How you do this, well, that is up to you!

Challenge due Thursday, May 7th at 6: 30 PM EST. You have only twenty four hours to complete your proposal. However, you do not have to compete, you can if you want. In addition, you may only post a tradition text based forum post, which means no websites or videos. No more than 10 sentences, however you may use as many pictures as you would like.

The winner will receive an advantage going forward in the competition.

And, don't forgot, the Concept Creation Challenge is still due this Saturday ;)

Last edited:

MCParradox

Session 2 Aspects of Imagineering Challenge - Kinetics

Innoventions Plaza

2121193839_d5cd3a9c9f_b.jpg

Above: Innoventions Plaza as it currently appears

Since the switch from CommuniCore to Innoventions, Epcot's central plaza has been in much need of an update. In order to accomplish this, my proposal will restore the original green sections around the Innoventions buildings, with flowing streams and small rocky waterfalls adding motion beneath the swaying of the tall trees, which also provide much needed shade to the area. Vibrant flowers along the grassy banks of the water add colour to the area, while the reflections of Spaceship Earth and Innoventions add even more life and visual interest to the plaza.

Communicore_Future_World_front.jpg

Above: CommuniCore Plaza

In addition to the addition of more green areas, the stage on the Fountain of Nations will be removed, clearing the way for a full renovation of the fountain, and resulting in a new show, featuring spectacular new water effects.

JbBknut.png

Above: Illustration of the new Innoventions Plaza

However, CommuniCore, and Future World as a whole, was built for more than this. This project would also see the installation of the long planned Future World PeopleMover system, adding yet another kinetic feature to the Plaza, alongside the monorail. Starting in Earth Station, the PeopleMover would work its way clockwise through the Innoventions buildings, then onto Future World West, starting with a hydrolator trip into the Living Seas, a stop in The Land pavilion's lobby, and then passing through Imagination's glass pyramids. After crossing the entryway to World Showcase, it would pass through Test Track, then make a stop at Mission:SPACE, before continuing though the Universe of Energy and returning to Earth Station.
dYX2rn7.png

Above: Proposed route for the Future World PeopleMover

ryman-mcginnis_epcot_transpohub_lgpm.jpg

Above: E.P.C.O.T's proposed PeopleMover system

peoplemover.jpg

Above: The Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
Tomorrow night at 10 PM Eastern @spacemt354 and I will be hosting the first Project Recap podcast for this competition, reviewing each and every submission. We will also showcase the updated scores for our Fantasy Draft. (Now that every project is being ranked we can clearly have a "points" system in place.)

Hey everyone,

Apologies about the show last night. Both Tiki and myself had some stuff come up and we weren't able to find replacements to do the show.

With that said, next week we will combine both challenges and do a Session 1 and 2 recap show, so stay tuned for that! Thanks again for your patience:)

tcool

AoI Challenge

redcar-14-of-18.jpg

That's right folks come aboard the one the only Hollywood Trolleys! Daily the Hollywood Trolleys will take guests up Sunset Boulevard and down as well as going up and down on Hollywood Boulevard. The Trolleys will have three stops.

Near the Chinese Theater at the Cinema Stop.

6.jpg

Near the Crossroads of the World at the Hollywood Boulevard Stop.

dsc_0008.jpg

And near the Hollywood Tower Hotel at the Sunset Boulevard stop.

Hollywood_Tower_Hotel_by_SolGrundy.jpg

Now here's the journey guests will have on the Hollywood Trolleys.

trolley_line_by_tcool123-d8siiyb.png

The Hollywood Trolleys not only brings kinetic energy and new sounds to Disney's Hollywood Studios, but it also brings a brand new attraction to a park that really needs it.

RMichael21

Aol Challenge

Here at Disney's Hollywood Studios, a massive renovation/expansion is taking place but there's still one part of the park that lacks something... anything.

wpid-10-Disney-0827-094822-1431.jpg

The Streets of America lacks kinetic energy, it's really just a bunch of pavement, backdrops and facades taking up a huge portion of the park. In order to add kinetic energy into this area, this area'll be getting a facelift!

Hollywood-Studios-Streets-of-America-HDR-3.jpg

First, every facade in the area will be refreshed and repainted (and aged), to give the Streets of America a livelier, but lived in feel.

studios_streets_of_america_14_by_disney_stock-d2xkk2e.jpg

Live street performances and streetmosphere characters such as live music or a NYC inspired clown show that focusses on guest volunteers will be added, that will entertain guests, give them something to do (other than experience a stage show or a thrilling attraction) and add to the authenticity and energy of the land. All of these shows will be performed multiple times per day.

street-performers.jpg

edperf1.jpg

In addition, interactive elements will be introduced in the area in the windows, shrubbery (including new landscaping that will added much needed green to the area) and buildings and will feature different sound effects taken from the actual street of New York City/San Francisco.

Also, different food carts similar to those found in New York City will be located along the street, selling delicacies that would be found on the real streets of the city.

ROUGECart_ESP4369.jpg

141770737.jpg

3613810_orig.jpg

When the day turns into night, the Streets of America will change with projection and lighting effects on the massive New York City and San Francisco backdrops to make it come alive and addition nighttime street performances that will add a nighttime character that the day can't provide.

6-10_wallpaper_1600x1200.jpg

With all of these new additions, day and night guests of Disney's Hollywood Studios will be sure to check out this lively and happening area of the park, adding to their magical Disney day!​

Attachments

• new-york-food-cart-city-th-street-offers-hot-dogs-pretzels-other-fast-specialties-46185984.jpg
    new-york-food-cart-city-th-street-offers-hot-dogs-pretzels-other-fast-specialties-46185984.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 84

ctxak98

AOI Challenge #1.
For this AOI challenge we were asked to take a rather boring section of one of the Theme Parks and give it some more kinetic energy, to help it come to life. Well this was an easy solution for me because it lets me help out one of my favorite parts to any park, due do it holding one of my favorite attractions!....yup...we're going to DINOLAND!!
dinoland.jpg
Dinoland is somewhat of a mess right now in its own self, but there area few elements that are rather fun. One area in particular that could be amazing but needs more work is Cretaceous trail. Now I already think this little hidden trail is awesome, but for many its very bland and kind of confusing. The trail today holds live plants that have survived since the Dinosaur age. And how can we possibly make this are any better!? Its really simple but will take some expanding and some Imagination...So lets get started.
13983393813_950b3a8306_b.jpg
First we will look at the layout. From where the trail starts to behind Chester and Hester's and part of Primeval whirl, will all be more theming to go along with the Cretaceous Trail. This whole are now will be a walking trail filled with plants, facts, and yes...Dinosaurs. (the walkway from the Dinosaur exit to Chester and Hesters will still be there, but it will just cross paths with the newly imagined Cretaceous Trail.

The trail will stay the same however the enhanced elements will just pull the whole idea a step further. Bringing live dinosaurs into the mix will make for a great show.
dino850.jpg

Using Dinosaurs very similar to the ones in the "Walking with Dinosaurs" show it will give guests something to really truly see and visualize as a living and breathing cretaceous forest.
Walking-With-Dinosaurs.jpg

The trail will start off simple with added water elements such as streams and waterfalls throughout. Guests can hear the sounds of live dinosaurs in the distance. The first dinosaur you encounter are some small Heard of Homalocephale. (these will be permanent AA's)

homalocephale.jpg

Moving on down the trail you witness some Pachyrhinosaurus and some Corythosaurus grazing. (these dinosaurs will be permanent AA's)

Pachyrhinosaurus_(12).jpg

Corythosaurus_by_unlobogris.jpg

As you get towards the back of the trail (new area added where backstage use to be), a stage will be hidden up higher through the forest. Viewers will not be able to see the stage with the use of forced perspective. Large Dinosaurs like Baryonyx, and the Wuerhosaurus will come out and have a mini battle so to speak, every so often. This will give a short glimpse to guests on how dinosaurs interacted with one another. The bigger dinosaurs need the stage so that they can come out and move around with ease like they do in the show, without it it wouldn't give the same effect. (These dinosaurs will not be permanent, but part of a larger selection of dinosaurs, that can swapped and changed depending on what day it is, giving guests the chance to see more than one dinosaur at the climax of the trail)

Wuerhosaurus.jpg
Baryonyx_by_IRIRIV.jpg

As guests return back from there journey, they encounter one last dinosaur and that is the Iguanodon, that has come back with travelers. he will be sitting in the water playing, much like he use to on the Discovery River boats. (the Iguanodon will be a permanent AA)

_45580048_dino4pa.jpg

WDW-Water-190a.jpg
The whole attraction will be very immersive with sights and sounds, as well as smells from the different dinosaurs and plant species. Next to each dinosaur will be hands on kiosk, that will shows guests different facts about those particular dinosaurs.
f671e91deb5831832707177e8f4f838e.jpg

Well thats my plan on how to make this boring area a little less boring! Hope you like it.....oh and if you didn't already realize....I LOVE Dinosaurs!

DinoInstitute

Original Poster
AoI Challenge Reviews

@MCParradox:
Great idea with doing the project with Communicore! You took it to a new level with a much larger renovation, props! We especially like the touch of the Peoplemover and the greenery, clever use of having a ride for some of the kinetics! Once again, love the art, awesome to see you take the time in the 24 hours to produce it! I think you technically exceeded the limit with the captions, but we probably won't hold it against you too much because this is a first time thing with the challenge. Overall, great work again!

@tcool:
The location to me is a bit iffy...It's not like you made a bad choice, it's just that there's already a lot of action and life going on in those areas of DHS already. As far as executing the trolley goes, you did great! THAT'S what I want to see at DHS! :D The only real thing with your project is that we wish you made better use of your sentence allotment and went into more detail and elaborated more, but overall it's definitely something I'd like in that park!

@RMichael21:
You had one of the most interesting locations. As of now, it is probably the best as it is a dull area of the park with promise, but it is likely that it is going to go away soon anyways. In addition, around Christmas time, the Osborne lights really add to the place. Clever ways of integrating kinetics without simply forcing them in. You did it in a very unique way! I like where you were going with the interactive shrubbery and stuff idea, but I really have no idea what you mean :p;) Overall, you gave us what we wanted from this project, great work!

@ctxak98:
You did end up submitting the project past the due date. It wasn't too far past where we won't consider yours, you may still win, but just keep that in mind for the future ;) You aren't alone with loving Dinosaurs! :D Great theme choice, and certainly an area of the park that could use this! However, I don't know if the specific area you chose is popular enough/will be staying much longer. Great use of integrating kinetics into the area with AAs! And the use of pictures gave a nice visual! However, you did slightly go over the sentence limit ;) Overall, really liked where you went with this project!

Great job to all who competed! This is going to be a tough one!​

Last edited:

DinoInstitute

Original Poster
AoI Challenge Judgements & Reward

Congratulations! Even though only four of you ended up playing, it was a really tough decision to come up with a winner. However, here are our results:

1. @RMichael21- Loved where you went with this, your brilliant use of kinetics earns you the win!
2. @MCParradox- Loved your concept, however it was a tough decision, and we felt that RM's proposal fit a little better
3. @tcool- You had a nice idea that I really liked, but just a little more detail and explanation could have helped. Great job though!
4. @ctxak98- You had an amazing concept, and this is a tough decision, but you given last place simply came down to it being late and going over the limit. Props for competing anyways though!

So, congratulations to @RMichael21 for being our first AoI Challenge winner! Now, the dying question inside of you...what is my reward???
@RMichael21...you have won the advantage of "The Poison Apple"
tumblr_m3oa80gIyC1qgwefso2_250.gif

What does this do, and how do you use it? It's simple.

You can play this advantage up through session 8. It may be played only for Concept Creation challenges.

When you use it, what it does is cast a disadvantage towards another player or team. This disadvantage will give them some sort of obstacle in the challenge that will make staying alive and winning it harder. You can do this to maybe try to knock out a big threat, or as a security net in case you think you could fall this challenge.

To play it, within the first 12 hours of a Concept Creation challenge, simply say, "I would like to give (-enter player or team name here-) the Poison Apple".

That's it! What you choose to do with this power is up to you, but use it wisely;)
If you have any more questions about usage, just tag me in the discussion.​

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom