The Creator Games!: An Imagineering Competition

Flippin'Flounder

2: Operation Rejuvenation

Team Progress Horizons

This week, we were all challenged with taking a specific attraction and rejuvenating it. This challenge is something that Imagineers have to think about all the time. They have to sit and think on how can we make this attraction better? What can be changed or added to enhance our guest’s experience? How can this ride be updated for the overall effectiveness of the concept? Well today, I am pretty sure with the combined force of Team Progress Horizons, we have come up with a pretty great plan!

carousel-of-progress-sign-4-9.jpg

Carousel of Progress is classic attraction originally designed for the 1964 World’s Fair, by Walt Disney himself. Walt Disney saw a great opportunity to show guests the progress through the 20th century of an everyday family. The Story is still a classic but what’s missing? Many people say that because the ride is slow and old that its not very popular. Although I have to contrast that idea because I have seen many younger kids interested in the ride and actually enjoy it. The main problem we saw was that it really doesn’t FIT in Tomorrowland. The ride does go about showing all the progress from the early 20th century to the modern day as seen back in the 70’s but why not update it!?

maxresdefault.jpg

We now live in a world full of new technology, so kids and parents want to see what the world could be like a 100 years from today! Which got us to thinking about the one attraction that was said to be the sequel to the Great Carousel of Progress: Horizons. Now we decided to take it upon ourselves to finally merge to the two and create the final chapter in the story where we finally see the family living in the Futuristic modern era of the 22nd century.

Horizons+-+Vista+Teaser.png

We want to first talk about the story, and then we will go into details from beginning to end as to show what has changed, what has stayed the same, and what extra magical touches were added.

The story starts out with the Father (John) speaking to the audience inviting you into his house while they decorate for Christmas. John then takes guests on an adventure through time using future technology to show guests what living through the 20th century up until 2201, was like. He now takes guests on a journey through the turn of the century, the 1920’s, 1940’s and quick glimpses at other marvelous decades, concluding that there really is always a “Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow”.

So basically that the story, pretty much the same as the old one but now its going to be more futuristic in its approach. Here is the whole attraction from start to finish in detail starting with the Queue.

Queue and Exterior:

The exterior of the theater will remain the same, but will be repainted with brighter colors that match the blues of Tommorowland. Also, while waiting in line for the next show to start, you can read facts about CoP and Horizons, which will also have turnable gears on them that match the ones on the theater. There will also be a blue canopy like the one at Innoventions Plaza, but in the blues and whites of Tommorowland. The sign outside would also be changed to meet the new color scheme.

Scene 1: Audience meets the Father

As guests enter the theater they see the Carousel of Progress logo hanging from the curtains. As the music begins to mellow and the doors shut, you can start to hear the Father start to talk. (Curtain starts to rise)

Father: Hello, and welcome to the Carousel of Progress. Oh and umm…..welcome to the 22nd century! ( At this point the whole room around him lights up, revealing a very modern futuristic house, getting ready for the Holidays)This is where I live with my wife Sarah. Its remarkable isn’t it? We are getting ready for our big annual Christmas Eve party. Our kids are coming home for the holidays and we want this to be the best Christmas ever, we’ve been decorating for a whole 20 minutes and were still not done yet! Oh yeah I forgot, with the new gadgets we have, it’s much faster to decorate for the holidays than what you’re probably used to. Watch this (presses button and lights come on tree and presents appear under tree as well as other decorations holographically appear.) It wasn’t always this easy though, we’ve come a long way since…. well….why don’t I just show you. We will have to go way back though to understand how far we’ve come with advances in every aspect of everyday living. Here we go! (Presses button and the lights and laser projections start transforming the room as guests rotate to the next show scene the song “great Big Beautiful tomorrow “ plays. We now enter the 1900’s)

horizons_urbanhabitat_web.jpg

Scene 2: Turn of the Century Living Valentines Day (Same script)

Lights begin to illuminate as pixelated projections start to create the house around them, revealing a very old, yet filled with character, house around the turn of the century

Scene 3: 1920’s Fourth of July (Same script)

The same will happen here as did in Scene 2

Scene 4: The Fabulous 40’s Halloween (Same script)

The same effects will happen as scene 2 and 3, but the house will be updated.

The pumpkin would instead be a Jack-O-Lantern

The wall ornaments would be changed to bats, to fit the Halloween theme.

Scene 5: Christmas in the Future

(As we travel back to the future, images of technology from the 1950’s – present day are displayed and shown on walls and screens inside the revolving theater walls. The House begins to materialize in a very magical manner. Now in the living room we see the whole family gathered for the Holidays.)

FATHER: Isn't it a pleasant holiday? Turkey's in the oven, it's peaceful and quiet.

JIMMY: Yes! Three hundred points, my best score yet!

SARAH: Well, it was peaceful until Santa brought that new virtual reality space pilot game.

Jimmy's headgear goes up above his eyes.

JIMMY: Your turn Grandma. Let's switch the image over to the TV, so the resident flying ace can show you how it works.

Grandma's headgear goes down, and the TV turns on. On the TV we see the interior of a space craft cockpit.

JIMMY: Now, it's a little tricky. Just use your game glove to fly behind the other guy and then blast him with your laser blaster!

GRANDMA: Laser blaster? Well, I'll give it a try.

JIMMY: Take a look around Grandma. You're in the ship.

GRANDMA: I feel like I'm really there!

JIMMY: Okay, get ready, you're about to blast off!

GRANDMA: Here goes nothing.

The screen flickers into motion as the space outside of the cockpit begins to move. We soon see enemy ships passing by.

JIMMY: All right, here he comes! Ooh, you missed him.

As Grandma and Jimmy play Space Pilot, Sarah looks up from her computer.

SARAH: Hey everyone, I'm done programming out new voice activation system.

FATHER: Now all our household items will do anything we tell them to do.

GRANDPA: Great... tell the refrigerator to bring me a root beer.

SARAH: (Chuckling.) Well, it can't quite do that. But I'll show you something that it can do. Tree lights, thirty percent brighter.

The Christmas Tree lights brighten a little.

GRANDPA: Ah, that's no big deal. Anybody can do that voice activating stuff. Watch this. Rover... speak!

ROVER: Woof!

SARAH: John, the oven should respond to your voice commands now. Give it a try.

FATHER: Okay, here goes. Temperature to 375.

OVEN: (It actually talks.) Temperature increased to 375.

PATRICIA: Look at that! It even talks back.

FATHER: Like some people I know.

PATRICIA: Yeah right dad!

JIMMY: (Watching Grandma's progress on the TV.) You're going to loose him Grandma! Bank to the right!

PATRICIA: Remember dad's turkey last year?

GRANDPA: Yeah, that thing really smoked up the place when it burned, didn't it?

PATRICIA: We ended up microwaving frozen pizzas.

SARAH: Well, no need to worry about the turkey this year. Not with an oven that will do anything your father tells it to do.

JIMMY: Ooo! Good shot!

GRANDMA: Did you see that?!

JIMMY: Dad, Grandma's up to 550 points!

FATHER: Did you say 550? Man, she's getting the hang of that thing.

OVEN: (Quietly, without anyone noticing.) Temperature increased to 550.

GRANDPA: I can't believe all the new gadgets they've got now. Did you know in my day--

PATRICIA: Oh no. You're not going to tell us about the old days when you didn't even have a car phone.

GRANDPA: (He chuckles.) Hey Trisch, for a while we didn't even have a house phone. Not to mention laser discs and high definition TV. Everything is automated these days, including...

From off stage we hear a toilet flushing.

GRANDPA: (Continuing.) Well, including that.

COUSIN ORVILLE: (Off stage.) No privacy at all around this place!

GRANDPA: Sorry Orville. Anyway, you guys don't realize how good you've got it nowadays.

SARAH: You know, my Grandfather told me the very same thing when I was a kid.

GRANDMA: (Still playing the VR.) Take that you nincompoop!

JIMMY: Hey check it out dad. Grandma's up to 975 points.

FATHER: Wow! 975.

OVEN: Temperature increased to 975. (Oven starts beeping and smoke erupts.) Overload-- overload...

SARAH: John, what's wrong with the oven?

FATHER: Well-- UH...

The oven door slams open and we hear the crackling of burnt turkey skin.

OVEN: Bake Mode complete. Enjoy your meal.

PATRICIA: Anyone for pizza?

SARAH: Another Christmas turkey ruined.

Grandma's game ends. Her headgear lifts back over her eyes.

GRANDMA: Man what a game! I really smoked those guys. Looks like I'm resident flying ace now.

JIMMY: Best two out of three Grandma?

GRANDMA: Later kid. Boy that was fun. What will they think up next?

PATRICIA: Who knows? We've got a whole new century waiting for us out there.

SARAH: Yeah, and maybe sometime in the new century, your father will learn how to talk to out oven.

FATHER: Well, by then maybe ovens will read out minds. But hey, as long as we're all here and happy and together for the holidays, who cares if I burned out Christmas turkey?

GRANDMA: I do! I'm starving.

A round of laughter erupts from the whole family.

JIMMY: Don't worry dad. Someday, everything is going to be so automated, you won't ever have to cook another Christmas turkey again.

Father: You are right son, and hopefully that day will eventually come, but until then all we can do is dream of the future.

Sarah: All right everybody should we sing some Christmas carols? (everyone grumbles) …okay Auld Lang Syne on the count of three. One, two, three. Should Auld….(theater starts to rotate and the whole family sings Auld Lange Syne in the background).

Scene 6: Conclusion with Father

(As we come around the bend we can see the Father sitting in the chair watching a hologram video of that Christmas Eve night.)

Father: (sighs). Well it’s moments like those that really make life these days worthwhile. You know it really is remarkable how far we've come since the 20th century. But hey, that’s progress for you, and who knows what tomorrows Horizons will bring. I sure can’t wait to find out. We all just have to remember.. "That there’s a Great Big Beautiful....." (song starts and the stage dims and curtains come down with final logo).

Exit: The exit would remain the same as before, except some additional facts added, like the ones at the entrance.

Summary: We wanted to take the same story and character and really just give it a beginning and an end to make it have a purpose for Tomorrowland. Without a clear story starting in the future, it disrupts the cohesiveness of Tomorrowland that is there today. So by adding two additional scenes, lengthening the old ones, and adding new projection, laser, and lighting effects, we believe we have created the perfect fix for an outdated classic.

The lighting effects we want in this attraction will be very similar to the technology used in Mystic Manor. At the :55 mark, is what I want the room transformation using mapping projections to look like, with a mix of the laser effects in Mystic Manor

MCParradox

Team 82 - MCParradox and @ScorpionX - Present:

Session 2 - Operation Rejuvenation

Imagination!

Imagination is a classic EPCOT Center pavilion, with a very troubled history. At Team 82, we knew that it would be a touchy subject to update, as even the smallest change can trigger outcry from the original attraction’s diehard fans. As avid fans of EPCOT Center ourselves, we knew that we wanted to return Journey Into Imagination to its former glory, using modern technology to enhance the classic attraction. However, we also wanted to turn Imagination into a larger, multi-experience pavilion such as The Land, as opposed to a single ride attraction such as those in Future World East today. Specifically, we wanted to make good use of the ImageWorks space that is now closed off to guests, completely wasting its beautiful architecture. And so, here is our proposal for the fourth iteration of the imagination Pavilion.

com03869.jpg

Outside, the building looks almost unchanged, aside from the new colour scheme that reintroduces the light purples and blues that adorned the pavilion back in the day. The only major addition is a small expansion at the back of the building to accommodate a new show scene, but this is backstage, out of guests’ sight. The fountains and waterfalls still operate as they always have, but with slightly updated lighting to match the new colour scheme of the building. The Imagination Gardens have been spruced up a bit, and you may even see a bearded, top hat wearing man strolling the area, holding a small purple dragon.

imagination.jpg

As guests enter the Imagination pavilion, they will first see that the building has been gutted, and a new lobby has been built in the style of the original 1983 version. A central spiral staircase leads upstairs to ImageWorks, while a circular queue leads to the entrance of Journey Into Imagination. There is also a new door, leading into Figment's Place, which now serves as a small retail location, selling Figment and Dreamfinder styled merchandise. To accommodate this, the holding area for the Magic Eye Theatre has been removed; guests now enter the theatre as they did in 1982. The boarding station for the ride is now open to the main lobby, and features a large mural on the back wall, in the style of the classic Future World murals that adorned most rides.

Imagination_1983_show_scene_layoutw.jpg

O407CEg.png

The ride track itself has been restored to the original 1983 layout (with one small extension in the back of the ride), including the Dreamcatcher turntable and finale CircleVision theatre. This gives the attraction much more space to tell the story, and returns the riders nicely to the main lobby. Leaving the loading platform (1), guests enter into the brain to begin their Journey, where they meet Figment, who will be taking them on a tour of the Dream Port (2).

dreamfinder-vehicle.jpg

After guests meet Figment, the cars move up to the turntable (3), where they are introduced to Dreamfinder, flying the Dreamcatcher machine. This scene uses the same principle as the original ride, but utilises modern technology to improve reliability, and to prevent the turntable from drilling itself into the floor, as the old one did. Dreamfinder introduces guests to the wonders of the imagination, and then meets his old friend Figment, who is very excited to start the tour and begin dreaming up new things.

imaginometer_zps954563a5.jpg

Pulling away from the turntable, the cars enter the Dream Port (4), where various contraptions and machines bubble with ideas, spewing out smoke and flashing vibrant lights through the windows. Figment explains that this is where all of the ideas caught by Dreamfinder are collected and sorted, before they are sent to the Memory Banks. “Let’s go there now!”

Figment takes the guests further into the Dream Port, to visit the Memory Banks (5). Here, more contraptions whizz and flash, various screens show typical memories such as a first bike ride or a fireworks show, and numerous artefacts line shelves. Figment tells the guests that this is where memories are stored, so that they can be used later to inspire marvelous new ideas! With that, the cars pull into the Creativity Labs.

29e7575c4e5b24a7573d8f43029197a6.jpg

ved198023LARGE.jpg

In the Creativity Labs (6), colour spectrums, paint pots and rainbows can be seen, as various fractals of creativity float around. Passing through the scene, these elements become less abstract, and begin to coalesce, moving together and beginning to adhere to a common theme. Riders pass a small forest scene, through a cloud, and over a lake. Overhead, bright banners and shapes float around, and right at the end of the scene, Dreamfinder is found painting a picture using all of the elements that the cars had just passed.

abi849026LARGE-600x400.jpg

03051983_WDA_TDIDJourney.jpg

Next, the guests enter the Entertainment Center, beginning in the Literature section (7). Much like the original ride, the cars pass words and phrases written in the style of their meaning, but this time, the theme is a lot more light hearted. The ride passes through the pages of a book, while Figment tosses words and phrases about on projection screens, triggering a variety of related effects. For example, he might throw up the word “SPLASH”, causing the riders to be sprayed with water, or the word “BOOM”, triggering a loud boom and flashing lights. Dreamfinder can be found chuckling and writing in his Journal. The cars then move into the Performing Arts section (8) (moving into the expansion to the ride building), where Dreamfinder and Figment can be found rehearsing for a new stage show. Figment performs a broadway style version of “One Little Spark”, while Dreamfinder sits directing him with a megaphone.

img_4656.jpg

magicjourneysfield.jpg

Rounding the corner and heading back towards the original building, Figment’s mind gets a little too active. The riders enter a scene inspired by Magic Journeys (9), with a subtle version of that show’s theme replacing the various styles of “One Little Spark” that play through the rest of the ride. In this scene, multicoloured flowers twirl and fade into clouds, clowns perform on a tightrope and trapeze overhead, with a towering clown stretching from floor to ceiling. Videos show children running through fields, jumping and playing, children’s laughter plays through the speakers, and the cars spin randomly, focusing on nothing in particular, only enhancing the wild theme of this room. The cars enter a tunnel, simulating a flight through the clouds, before Dreamfinder can be heard reminding Figment that “The mind is a dangerous place, you must control your Imagination, and focus it to get the best results”.

journey-to-imagination-figment.jpg

With that, Figment calms somewhat, and the cars round a corner into Figment’s upside down house (10). Figment tells guests that when the imagination is set free and focused, it can turn your world upside down! Dreamfinder reminds Figment that he was directing the tour of the Dream Port, and Figment returns the trains there through the speed tunnel.

imuteb%20chemistry2.jpg

images

Arriving back at the Dream Port, guests enter the Discovery Lab (11). In this round room, Dreamfinder stands centrally, observing the screens surrounding the guests. On these screens, various scientific imagery passes and fades through, including atoms and molecules, scientific formulae, cells, electric circuits, scientific equipment etc… On the way out, Figment is conducting his own experiment, standing by a large collection of test tubes, conical flasks and the like, all connected with glass pipes and rubber tubes. Inside the flasks, liquids of various colours boil and bubble, flowing through the tubes. Eventually, the contraption begins to hiss, spewing out smoke, before there is a large bang, accompanied by bright flashes of light. With that, the cars round the corner into the workshop.

5853265_orig.jpg

0C209743-4E93-4B04-B1AD-C0BFD6569916_w640_r1_s.jpg

The workshop (12) is a modern space, adorned with futuristic screens and displays. Figment is working on a robotic version of himself, who he turns on as the guests pass. The robot powers up and begins laughing along with Figment, before it begins to flash and falter, promptly powering down again. Figment goes back to wiring his circuits, and the cars move into the Finale theatre.

tumblr_nhsj5817kI1r2fcx4o1_1280.png

The finale CircleVision theatre (13) shows Figment doing a variety of creative and imaginative things, one on each screen. This room is accompanied by the most grand and rousing rendition of the theme song, and Figment, in the center of the room, tells guests that with imagination, anything is possible!

The riders leave the theatre and enter a dark room, filled with nothing but fibre optic stars. The cars round the final corner into the unload station (14), which is also dark and covered in these fibre optics. As the cars pull in, the lights fade on, revealing the unload station in an effect taken from the current version of the ride. The guests exit directly into the main lobby, and are invited to explore the ImageWorks upstairs, or enter Figment’s Place for some imaginative merchandise.

MCParradox

Part 2:

FigmentsPlace.jpg

Figment-Merchandise-ImageWorks-Epcot-Attraction.jpg

eo_epcot2010ww.jpg

Figment-1983-06.jpg

Figment’s Place occupies the full space currently housing the Magic Eye Theatre holding area. Inside, guests can purchase many Figment and Dreamfinder themed items, creative supplies such as pencils and sketchbooks, or novelty science items such as rubber bubble mixture or laser pens. A space in the back of this shop also houses a meet and greet room for Figment, though he and Dreamfinder can often be found wandering outside in the imagination Gardens.

DSC_2550-copy.jpg

ima894016LARGE.jpg

Upstairs, in ImageWorks, guests can visit a number of interactive and creative stations. The Rainbow Tunnel has been rerouted and modernised, and other exhibits include “Create a Figment”, “Electric Philharmonic”, “Magic Palette”, “Disney Drawing Academy” and the “Art of Imagineering” exhibit, which showcases some of the latest additions coming to Disney Parks.

Food-Loop_1920_GA_WI_Europa-Park_3.jpg

FoodLoop_1_.jpg

Also in ImageWorks, occupying the slightly smaller south pyramid, is a new table service restaurant with a twist. This restaurant is guaranteed to mesmerise guests, and makes full use of the MyMagic+ system. As guests enter the dining room, they place an order on a digital touch screen kiosk, and then scan their MagicBand. An attendant will seat the guests, and they will scan their MagicBand again at their seat. This will allow their order to be delivered straight to them, but not in a conventional manner. The guest’s order is prepared in the kitchen directly below the dining room, adjacent to the pavilion lobby. When it is ready, it is placed on an elevator and sent up to the peak of the pyramid. From here, the order slides down a rollercoaster type track, stopping right in front of the guest who ordered it. This adds a great amount of kinetics to the restaurant which, when combined with the spectacular views of Future World, are sure to make this a guest favourite.

The concept of the rollercoaster restaurant is one that I have borrowed from Food Loop in Europa Park, Germany, which is, to my knowledge, the only application of this system in the world. The first time I ate here, I knew it was a perfect fit for Disney, and placing this system in one of the glass pyramids of Imagination seemed like an obvious choice.

That concludes our Journey Into Imagination, which we hope, after this update, will have a new lease of life, and will generate its own following. It is sure to annoy some people, who still haven't forgiven Disney for the massacre of the original version in 1999, but hopefully it will be able to bring the spirit of this classic attraction to a new audience, and inspire them to continue dreaming up new things!

DinoInstitute

Original Poster
Session 2: Operation Rejuvenation
Concept Creation Challenge Reviews

Neverland Galleons(@RMichael21 and @Vipraa)
Great intro, and it really is true on how PPF is in dire need of something major. We will start with some constructive criticism then work towards the great additions! We wish you did more with the facade. The current tent theme could be replaced to provide a more aesthetically pleasing attraction entrance. In addition, the interactive queue idea was good, but it’s more of just an activity rather than what most fans crave - a highly themed and immersive opening to the ride. Now that all of that negative is out of the way, we would just like to say well done with the actual new ride! The influx of technology with the LEDs, face projections, etc was really great! The story is similar yet improved, minor touches here and there give the ride a brand new feel and modern touch to it that refurbishments are supposed to give, and you gave just enough detail so that we can feel like we are there, but not too much so that we get bored. Very nice job and we will see how it holds up with the other competitors.

Team Key West(@TheOriginalTiki and @orlando678-)
Great concept and nice introduction. It really sets the stage well for what’s to come. Exterior changes are a nice touch, and the windmill is great! We can already see the "windmill" merchandise lines and the "weenie" on maps and such.Now that you changed the pre-show aspect and made the beginning more queue-like, it would have been nice to have a more elaborate interactive aspect or perhaps more theme. The dinosaur scene updates are really well done, though more of an elaboration as to the purpose of the scenes could have helped. In regards to the story, you guys incorporated a lot of great elements, but I wish there was more detail in regards to the story of the attraction. It seemed like you guys had some great concepts, and it’s not really a negative, we just want to learn more about your story. The ending is fantastic! Such a nice improvement over the current incarnation. Overall, Team Key West, you did a great job with your refurbishment, though a little more story elaboration could have helped, so we will see how it holds up against the other competitors.

Team Galactic(@Matt7187 and @Brer Panther)
Nice new concept! It's much better than the Tomorrowland Speedway theme that has little to nothing to do with Tomorrowland. The facade is really nice and grand, that alone just adds to the land! The one question we have is how will the building impact the views from the WDW Railroad? Will the pathway from Storybook Circus to Tomorrowland still exist? Just some things to think about with such a grand scale. The camera idea is pretty nice. It allows for different experiences in multiple rides. You had a great way just here though to incorporate MM+! Clever new planet. It's not all dark and serious, but nice for the MK as it is silly, humorous, and friendly. It’s nice how you do this without reverting to chilli dog burps. One downside though is that in some ways it feels very Chester-Hester. Overall, this is certainly a strong proposal, though it is the story aspect could be the deciding factor when put up against the rest of the competition.

The Dream Team(@jdmdisney99 and @JokersWild)
Great concept! And kudos to you for getting it in on time. Thanks for all your hard work, let's see how you did.We like the queue as it is now, but you guys did a solid job improving on it.The selection of films were awesome, and even the subtle nods at other films like The Godfather in Scene 5. It seems like there are nice transitions and updated scenes throughout as well.It would have been nice to have the Star Wars scene be applicable for everyone who rides, because it’s such a great and iconic scene, but it’s nice that it’s included nonetheless. Wow, great video at the end and music to go along with it! It was a nice touch to the presentation.Truly well done. Overall, the refurb was really well done, and the video added a lot of clarity to the attraction set up. Some added descriptions, and possibly some more images to immerse the reader in the attraction could have helped, but a strong project all together.

The Skippers(@tcool and @Darth_Disney)
Very nice intro and great concept! The backstory you provide and the paragraphs that follow it are really helpful in setting the mood and getting us immersed in the attraction. The map for the queue is great, though that can be a hot queue to wait in. With all the inside-jokes and knick-knacks throughout it, it would have been nice to include some more interactive elements instead of just the second floor that's not accessible to guests. For the ride itself, your jokes are quite punny, perfect for the Jungle Cruise. The LPS for the jaguar was also really cool, it seems like you both really included a lot more mobile AAs in the attraction. Good touch. The description was also very thorough and well done, while the Jingle Cruise was an added bonus at the end. Kudos to you for considering holiday overlays. Overall, this was an awesome proposal and we will see how it holds up to the rest of the competitors.

Team World(@DisneyPrincess1993 and @InfiniteRightEar97)
Fantastic website and great concept! The logo is great. Perhaps on purpose or not, but it was nice how you used the term "Expedition" in the attraction name, with Expedition Everest next door. It's like how Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain share similar titles. Though the river’s name is really hard to pronounce. There’s nothing much you can do about that. Guests would probably just end up calling it “that raft ride.” The way you kept the theme of conservation yet explored other parts of Asia in this attractions was wonderfully done. The aspect of shamans and Buddhism was also very relevant for Asia. The website is very easy to follow and it's nice how one page flows into the other. The level of historical background and relevance to today's world was also really well executed. For the attraction, that was great how you used RCT3 - and the ride very Spaceship Earthy - starting in the past, then in the present, and looking into the future. One piece of constructive criticism would be that the queue image was confusing, because the yellow was supposed to be the queue, but that seems significantly smaller than the old queue. Perhaps a bigger image would have helped. Other than that, this was great and we'll see how it stands up to the competition.

Team Progress Horizons(@2001DISNEYLIFE and @ctxak98)
Nice concept! The inclusion of Horizons is a really great touch. It’s tangential from your proposal concept, but the background made it seem like Carousel of Progress is out of place, when it seems like it fits nicely as of now. Anyway, it was interesting how you started off in the future. That was pretty cool! But most of the other scenes remained the same. It would have been good to update some AAs or add some effects to the scenes instead of keeping them the same. Also the script aspect of the proposal seems really similar to Scene 4 in the current incarnation. The presentation could have benefited from a bit more cohesiveness. While the inclusion of Horizons was fantastic, more updates to the original attraction could have helped the overall proposal. But nevertheless, good job guys!

Team 82(@ScorpionX and @MCParradox)
Good concept! I like how you brought back the Dreamfinder and restored basically the original track layout. Nice images to show how that layout is arranged. For people who had never been able to ride the original Imagination attraction with Dreamfinder, this type of update would be very appreciated. Though it gravitates more towards the original attraction in the beginning, which is not a negative, but your scenes towards the end were really superior in quality. It would have been nice to see more scenes like that. Especially the cloud scene. Your additions to ImageWorks and opening up the 2nd floor again are also great additions. Overall, while some aspects are similar to old attractions, the new material is really a treat and we will see how this proposal holds up to the rest of the competition.

Great job to everyone! I cannot tell you how happy we are with how strong our batch of competitors is, and everyone is putting so much effort and wants to be here. Which, of course makes our next decision even that much tougher. Stay tuned for the results...

Last edited:

DinoInstitute

Original Poster
Concept Creation Challenge Final Judgements

We cannot stress enough how close this challenge was! It's a tough decision, but it came down to the littlest things. Here they are:

1. Team World (@DisneyPrincess1993 and @InfiniteRightEar97)
2. Dream Team (@JokersWild and @jdmdisney99)
3. Team Key West (@TheOriginalTiki and @orlando678-)
4. The Skippers (@tcool and @Darth_Disney)
5. Neverland Galleon (@RMichael21 and @Vipraa)
6. Team Galactic (@Matt7187 and @Brer Panther)
7. Team 82 (@MCParradox and @ScorpionX)
8. Team Progress Horizons (@2001DISNEYLIFE and @ctxak98)

Congratulations to @DisneyPrincess1993 and @InfiniteRightEar97 for being the winners of this Concept Creation Challenge. Because of this, you two will have a bit of an advantage in the next Session (and are obviously safe).

However, as promised, there would be eliminations this session...Team Progress Horizons and Team 82, you were the last two placing teams. You will not necessarily be eliminated, however, you are not in the clear either.
The four of you (@MCParradox, @ScorpionX, @2001DISNEYLIFE, and @ctxak98) will now compete in a Sudden Death Challenge. As you may remember from the rules, these are your last chance opportunities to prove to us you are worth keeping. Soon, you will be given your challenge.

As for the rest of you, @JokersWild, @jdmdisney99, @TheOriginalTiki, @orlando678-, @tcool, @Darth_Disney, @RMichael21, @Vipraa, @Matt7187, and @Brer Panther, you are all safe going forward. You, along with @DisneyPrincess1993 and @InfiniteRightEar97 can enjoy these next few days off to take some personal time, get to know your fellow competitors, and rest for your next challenge, while the other four compete in the Sudden Death challenge.​

DinoInstitute

Original Poster
Sudden Death Challenge

This is it. @2001DISNEYLIFE, @ctxak98, @MCParradox, and @ScorpionX, you have lost the Concept Creation challenge in being the bottom two teams. In the Creator Games, we are looking for the strongest Imagineers to hire for WDW, and now this Sudden Death competition is your last chance to prove to us you deserve it.
abandoned-walt-disney-world-imagineer.jpg

Throughout WDW, there are many areas that could become useful. There are entire floors left empty, buildings and locations left abandoned, all with so much potential.

For your final challenge in this Operation Rejuvenation session, you will follow the theme of tuning "useless" into "useful".

Disclaimer: This challenge is not intended for the contestants to take a plot of land and build something new. This challenge is meant for you to take an existing location that has become useless, and make it useful.

Any questions please feel free to PM the hosts as we will be glad to help you.

Challenge due Monday, May 11th at 8:00 PM EST. You have 48 hours to complete this concept, so make good use of your time. In addition, you do not have any limitation in terms of presentation like the AoI Challenge, you may do whatever you want and how much you want. However, don't forget that sometimes bigger doesn't always mean better, especially when you have so little time to revise the concept.

Only @2001DISNEYLIFE, @ctxak98, @MCParradox, and @ScorpionX will compete in this Sudden Death Challenge, you other 12 contestants may take these two days off to relax and chat with fellow competitors.

The bottom two contestants will be eliminated, while the two best proposals will survive and move on to Session 3 along with the other 12.

Good luck! ;)

ctxak98

Sudden Death Challenge

This is it. @2001DISNEYLIFE, @ctxak98, @MCParradox, and @ScorpionX, you have lost the Concept Creation challenge in being the bottom two teams. In the Creator Games, we are looking for the strongest Imagineers to hire for WDW, and now this Sudden Death competition is your last chance to prove to us you deserve it.
abandoned-walt-disney-world-imagineer.jpg

Throughout WDW, there are many areas that could become useful. There are entire floors left empty, buildings and locations left abandoned, all with so much potential.

For your final challenge in this Operation Rejuvenation session, you will follow the theme of tuning "useless" into "useful".

Disclaimer: This challenge is not intended for the contestants to take a plot of land and build something new. This challenge is meant for you to take an existing location that has become useless, and make it useful.

Any questions please feel free to PM the hosts as we will be glad to help you.

Challenge due Monday, May 11th at 8:00 PM EST. You have 48 hours to complete this concept, so make good use of your time. In addition, you do not have any limitation in terms of presentation like the AoI Challenge, you may do whatever you want and how much you want. However, don't forget that sometimes bigger doesn't always mean better, especially when you have so little time to revise the concept.

Only @2001DISNEYLIFE, @ctxak98, @MCParradox, and @ScorpionX will compete in this Sudden Death Challenge, you other 12 contestants may take these two days off to relax and chat with fellow competitors.

The bottom two contestants will be eliminated, while the two best proposals will survive and move on to Session 3 along with the other 12.

Good luck! ;)
Okay, quick question. So we are to take a space and use the space already given to us without any changes what so every the layout!? So like we couldn't take the mass area of New York Streets at DHS and completely change it up!? Or do you mean we cant just go find a new plot of land somewhere unused?! just kind of confused

ctxak98

I'm actually also confused because you say it has to be useless space, but it cant be a new plot of land. But Epcot actually has lots of plotted land around World showcase meant for other countries, so would that be considered a useless area, or a plot of land thats new!?

DinoInstitute

Original Poster
Okay, quick question. So we are to take a space and use the space already given to us without any changes what so every the layout!? So like we couldn't take the mass area of New York Streets at DHS and completely change it up!? Or do you mean we cant just go find a new plot of land somewhere unused?! just kind of confused
I'm actually also confused because you say it has to be useless space, but it cant be a new plot of land. But Epcot actually has lots of plotted land around World showcase meant for other countries, so would that be considered a useless area, or a plot of land thats new!?
Take something like Wonders of Life for example. that space is what we mean by this, as (for a lot of the time, excluding events) there is nothing there, and it is wasted. Examples like that- There used to be something there, but now it's just wasted as they didn't get rid of it or anything.
The WS plots would be considered new plots as they have never built anything on them and are being saved for a later date expansion.
Hope that helps! :)

Last edited:

ctxak98

Take something like Wonders of Life for example. that space is what we mean by this, as (for a lot of the time, excluding events) there is nothing there, and it is wasted. Examples like that- There used to be something there, but now it's just wasted as they didn't get ride of it or anything.
The WS plots would be considered new plots as they have never built anything on them and are being saved for a later date expansion.
Hope that helps! :)
I was always planning on using this building, just didn't want to say that out loud. But are allowed to physically change the building? Like make it something different, still using the same plot, just making architectural changes?

DinoInstitute

Original Poster
I was always planning on using this building, just didn't want to say that out loud. But are allowed to physically change the building? Like make it something different, still using the same plot, just making architectural changes?
You can't expand the building, and you can make some arctitectual changes, but you just can't demolish it and start from scratch with that plot.

ctxak98

Sudden Death Challenge
Wonders+of+Life.jpg

For this weeks Sudden Death Challenge, we were asked to take a space anywhere around WDW that is unused and sitting there, and make it something spectacular and useful. Well I can tell you that this challenge isn’t all so easy when it comes down to it. Finding the right location is one thing, but creating a concept that can fit with the already built area, was kind of tricky. That and time restraints make this challenge very challenging…. but I like a challenge!

For my project, I decided to go ahead and breathe life back into the old Wonders of Life Pavilion. That building, as many of us know, has been sitting stagnant for I think over a decade now. It is only used for special functions like Food and Wine. Now that I decided to create something inside that old pavilion, the next step was what? What could I create that would stick with the futuristic mission of EPCOT and yet be fun and engaging for children and adults? I could really come up with any idea here, as the possibilities are almost endless. However I decided to go somewhere that has been touched on in small amounts around the other parks, but hasn’t been completely explored or given proper recognition to as a whole.

Hopetoun_falls.jpg

When people think of nature, most of the time people immediately think animals and plants. Well Animals and plants are only a portion of what defines nature. Nature is a mixture of Plants, animals, insects, trees, weather, climate, geology, astronomy, and ecosystems. The list really can go on forever to determine what all makes up nature, but its peoples interest in different aspects of nature that bring them all together. So for my Sudden Death Challenge I think I have created what is to be the start to an ultimate tribute to nature. The concept will be partially influenced by the old concept for The Land pavilion, before it turned into a pavilion more about agriculture.
land.jpg

I welcome you to come explore my latest concept: The Wonders of Nature.

hd-wallpapers-nature-forest.jpg

The Wonders of Nature is a grand science research facility, where guests can come and explore different aspects of Nature. In this new and exciting Pavilion guests can take a ride through all of earths amazing biomes. Hop aboard a Weather Navigator and learn to harness some of nature’s biggest storms. Gets a hands on feel for the different elements of nature in Earths Ecosystems. Even dine among the planets or even the rainforest, at the Mother Nature Observatory. Each trail will lead you to something new to discover…..

IMG_1817.JPG
Entrance: The Façade is going to pretty much stay the same. The color scheme however will turn into more earthy tones of Blue, green, and browns. Once you enter the doors the inside will be completely transformed. As you walk in you see a giant green house type model.(blue odd shape in the map above) It’s sectioned off to show different biomes and ecosystems on earth. (Like a mini model map of the world we live in, based off the old concept for The Land pavilion). The model is interactive and corresponds to the Nature Pod at the center of the pavilion. The Nature Pod is a tall spherical cylinder that shows images and videos of what is being discovered at that very moment in the Wonders of Nature. As Guests explore the Wonders of Nature Model, they can detect and analyze different parts of the model using kiosks stationed around the model. Once the guest finds something interesting it is projected onto the Nature Pod, where guests all over the pavilion can view. (Kind of confusing to understand I know, so I made a map, which should help with the layout).

MJS_domes__05ofx__news_wood.JPG_DOMES.jpg

Attractions:
biomes-197-640x959.jpg

frozen-tundra_60.jpg

desert1.jpg

EB Pathfinder: The Earths Biomes Pathfinder, is a scenic ride through all of natures main biomes. The ride itself is a trackless ride system, in which you never know which path it may take. On this Biomes Tour, you will travel through the Deserts, Tundra, grasslands, Tropical Rainforests, Temperate Forests, and Aquatic wetlands. These are just some of the Biomes listed. The attraction will guide you through the biomes filled with different forms of plant life and animal life. Be warned, as there are some dangerous animals out there, Hopefully your Pathfinder will guide you down a safe trail. Each Biome will be sectioned off through clear glass sliding doors. This will give guests the ability to see where they are going and really see the connection between the different houses. The First Biomes will be the Tropical rainforest. As you begin your journey, the doors open and the room prepares for new guests. Each biome will be unique and wild, which by the end of the journey will leave guests wanting more. Each biome will be large and feel like its own mini world, giving the guests the feeling of being transported to another world.

IMG_1815.jpg

The ride experience will be somewhat thrilling. It’s also part educational as your vehicle will supply you with information on different elements of the biomes as you explore them, both visually on a screen and vocally. The ride vehicle will be max of 6 riders with 4 vehicles being dispersed every 30 seconds.

IMG_1816.jpg

finished-storm1.jpg

Weather Navigator: Weather Navigator is a simulator ride very similar to “Storm Riders” over at Tokyo Disney Sea. This ride will put guests right in the middle of some dangerous weather scenarios. It’s a training mission to show guests how to harness the weathers power and energy. By storing the lighting from the dead center of the Hurricane, we can then do further research in understanding how these large storms operate. During the mission, something goes wrong and guests are set off course on a dangerous journey through the eye of the Storm, trying to return back to the Nature Facility before the storm encompasses the navigator completely.

The simulator attraction will be in 3D along with other special lighting and sound effects. The ride will be approximately 6 minutes long and have a max capacity of around 50 people.

supercell-weather-30969255-1680-1050.jpg

Earth Ecosystems: This research area, is a place where guests can explore there own knowledge of all things nature, and even play interactive mini games to expand their knowledge of the wildlife around us.
iStock_000003740154XSmall_crop380w.jpg

Restaurants:

selva%20tropical.jpg

primland-observatory_5872.jpg

Mother Nature Observatory: At the Mother Nature Observatory, guests can come a sit down among every aspect of nature. The dome shaped restaurant features many different scenic views from weather changes, to location changes. The Dome will close and open from the center downward, to unfold a surrounding of its choice. The restaurant is covered in a new 3D glass technology that is domed, to make you feel immersed in that world. For example, a family could be sitting down and eating when outside there is a rainforest canopy all around them. The panels start to close and for a short time they remain closed. The restaurant starts to rumble and the sounds of the observatories gears start to turn. The panels then re-open showing us sitting in space among the stars.
iWfsC975vnR0.jpg

It will almost feel like a teleportation chamber, as you are whisked away to places unknown yet truly remarkable, much like a planetarium would. This place will be the ultimate culmination of everything to do with nature.
planetarium5.jpg

Well that’s my sudden death challenge idea. It’s a huge space to cover, with such little time. I wish I had more time to polish and go through and change stuff, but I just don’t unfortunately. And I have to work all day tomorrow so this is the only time I have to post before 8-tomorrow night. I hope you like it enough to see I really want to do this and are willing to work hard for it! I know this idea is far from complete, but in a single day this is what I had time to flesh out! Hope you all enjoy!

TheOriginalTiki

@JokersWild returns to the podcast to join me for the third "Creator Games Profiles" where we'll be covering both transitional areas in Disney parks as well as the un-used pieces of real estate which are the subject of this Sudden Death round. Good luck to everyone competing for survival. We'll be going live tonight at Midnight eastern. If you can't make that time, all podcasts are always archived on my Youtube channel :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom