The Creator Games!: An Imagineering Competition

DinoInstitute

Original Poster
Session 10: The Final Challenge
@IDInstitute's Final Concept Creation Challenge Reviews

Hey everyone, it's time for me to post my final critiques! May I just say, great job to all of you for not only making it this far, but also for knocking your final project out of the park. I'll be doing mine a bit differently, where I'll go through each person's additions and then post whether I'm Green Lighting it at the end. Anyway, without further adieu, here are my reviews!

@TheOriginalTiki

1- Disco No Longer:
This is a nice refurbishment on the whole; It solves one of the biggest problems with DAK IMO in the Yeti, as when it is moving it really takes the attraction to a whole new level. There's no arguing that that is a good addition, along with many small touch ups you made with the track and vehicles. However, where I have a problem is where you seemed to add a show scene in the middle of the ride. It's a nice touch, but areas with the remains of an individual could be odd, the ride would be moving too fast in too much darkness to take in all the detail and important story elements you mention, and I'm confused about the part with the obscured Yeti head coming out, is this an added show scene? Overall, this refurbishment has a lot of great elements, but also some things that make me question whether or not I want to green light it.

2- Roots:
While I love ITTBAB, I think it's replacement is a good thing as it's getting old. Personally, I LOVE your restaurant you created, I am already day dreaming about eating inside the Tree of Life, this just seems SO cool :p :D However...I did have a bit of an "oh god, where is he going with this" moment when I first read the name of this place. Like sshindel said, the connotation with the name of this place along with the film might be a little...uncomfertable is maybe the word :p ;) But, despite that, this is a really cool idea that maybe just needs a different name (Team Sea's The Wench, anyone?).

3- Ellie's Conservation Station:
This is actually a pretty cool idea! Conservation Station needs something new, and I think this could be it, as it has good use of an IP, and I can totally see it tying into the Wilderness Explorers. I think my biggest issue with this is the way to get there. I think the balloon idea is certainly cool, but a) if that's the only way to go then kids that are afraid of heights might miss out, b) It would probably be really hard to have a seamless transition from impoverished Africa to a flying balloon station :p, and c) I think with the poles and wires holding it up some of the magic would be lost, so something like this would be better off in a dark ride maybe. While I think there are some problems with transportation, hopefully the great land itself will be enough to get it green lit!

4- Harambe Railway:
This is an interesting concept. I feel like though that it's a bit unnecessary, it sounds just like a different way of viewing the Safari. Perhaps a better way to use this would be like the DL or MK railroad? Despite that though, it's a cool concept and would be a good people eater.

5- Spirit of the Lion King:
This is a nice attraction, DAK needs a proper dark ride, and using LK is a good way to do it. Of course, my biggest issue is that I don't want DAK to turn into Epcot by adding IPs into culturally immersive lands, so that's something I have to consider. Plus, I have to think, while the Rafiki show would be cool, that a person standing up there on Pride Rock will ruin the forced perspective effect. Overall though, it's not a bad concept!

6- Hallelujah Trails:
I don't have much to complain about this; it would be really fun I'm sure, and visually amazing. I guess the only things are that I think they may actually be planning to have a trail anyway, plus I worry some of the scenes you had would be featured in the boat ride. But, we don't know any of this for sure yet, so nice job!

7- The Jungle Beat:
First of all, the lime green is hurting my eyes :p ;) But anyway, this is an interesting concept, though it too puts another IP in the park, which I'm not that found of. Also, it doesn't seem to have much of a story. I think something like this would work better as a Streetmosphere performance on Discovery Island maybe.

8- Disney's "One Sky" Parade:
DAK could really use a parade if it's going to want to truly become a full day park. This is an interesting concept for one and could be really cool. I wish you added a bit more detail about what it's like though as it's hard to really get a sense of the experience.

9- The New Dino Institute:
This is a great idea! I actually thought the last time I was in WDW that the Dino Institute would make a great theme throughout, and you nailed this! It would make this a really fun & appealing land to most with a nice backstory, Disney at its finest ;)

10- Primordial River:
Like the rest of the land, this is really well done. It's a nice, original dark ride, with a creative story. I don't have much to see about this as well...Nice job!

Overall tally:

1- Disco No Longer:
While I'd love to see the Yeti, I think the middle section is just too much for me- Red
2- Roots: Green Light
3- Ellie's Conservation Station: Green Light
4- Harambe Railway:
I just think that this attraction feels too much like the Safari itself- Red
5- Spirit of the Lion King:
It's a nice dark ride, but I'd rather see it in MK or DHS- Red
6- Hallelujah Trails:
Green Light
7- The Jungle Beat:
I love where you were going with this, but I don't know if I want to give it its own show- Red
8- Disney's "One Sky" Parade: This is a great idea, but I don't know enough about the concept to give it the Green Light- Red
9- The New Dino Institute: Green Light
10- Primordial River: Green Light

5/10 Green Lights

@orlando678-

1- Walt Disney Epcot Center Gallery:
This is pretty cool! I can see it catering a lot to the super-fans of Disney parks and it really would poke the nostalgia factor, but for others it would probably make them like Epcot a lot more as a concept. I guess the only problem could be when guests see how cool EPCOT was and be upset they changed it all :p ;)

2- Future World Peoplemover:
This is really cool, I think it would work well. It would be awesome to tour Future World like Tomorrowland, but like other judges said it feels a bit ambitious. It would have to be a lot longer (and therefore more expensive) than MK's, and a lot of reconstruction with the pavilion buildings and walkways would have to take place. So, while I'd love to press the big green button on this one, realism makes me hesitant.

3- Universe of Energy:
This is a nice refurbishment, something needed to replace aging Ellen. I think you made a lot of simple but positive changes, such as the facade, the dinosaur scene, etc. I'm not in love with the screens, but those games sound like they might work. Also, the ride itself sounds really fun and a true "Energy Adventure", but with big show scenes it seems that the showbuilding would need a lot of changing and expanding. So, this is another hard one.

4- Wonders of Weather:
This is an interesting pavilion; Like I said in Session 8, the topic of Weather is a great idea and could be really nice for a new pavilion. I'm not so sure I'm completely sold on this version though. First of all, you had a lot of components to it, and I'm not quite sure there's really room there. The Jet Stream dark ride is interesting, this is a nitpick but 6 is an odd number for a vehicle, and when you say "experience" these weather conditions, how exactly do you man? Will they be poured on in huge rainfall? :p Other than that though, it's an interesting pavilion with a lot of other great ideas!

5- 1001 Arabian Nights Adventure:
What a fun ride! Creative, exciting, and it doesn't take the easy way out (aka IP way out) with Aladdin ;) Nice job!

6- London Red Bus Tour:
The technology for this ride sounds pretty interesting and innovative, having the windows be the screens, and I think this would make for a fun tour. But, I don't really love how it feels wacky and sounds a bit cartoony. I don't know if it would be the best cultural representation, and when he's driving like a madman he doesn't run over anyone does he? :confused::p Overall, I'm still deciding on whether or not I think this clicks with the rest of the World Showcase.

7- Gondolas di Venezia:
I like this ride a lot! Relaxing edu-tainment is what Epcot is all about. Not to mention, I'm sure it would be visually stunning. Perhaps it would have been nice to have a bit more detail, but I'm being picky, this is a cool ride!

8- Switzerland:
I love this! One of the most rumored Epcot additions, I think that this would fit like a glove, and the componets of it you included seemed very well done in the cultural aspect.

9- Greece:
I don't have any huge complaints, I think Greece is one of the coolest and most unique countries to add. Though, with all of the government/economic problems going on there right now, I find it hard to believe that they would sponcer it ('cause, you know, there's no way Disney could afford it), and it may just not be a good idea all together. The dark ride is really cool (probably a bit hard to pronounce :p ;) ), but I really could feel like I was experiencing it...Nice work!

10- Egypt:
This is another potentially amazing addition. Though, the concept art to me looks a lot like Morocco. Also, I don't think it should get two attractions considering most countries don't even have one. Not to mention, there probably isn't even space for them. That said, they sound really fun, but I don't know if this is the right way to include them.

Overall Tally:

1- Walt Disney Epcot Center Gallery: Green Light
2- Future World Peoplemover:
I think the only problem with this is logistics- Red
3- Universe of Energy: Green Light
4- Wonders of Weather:
This was a tough one, but a few flaws/parts that didn't quite work (at least for me)- Red
5- 1001 Arabian Nights Adventure: Green Light
6- London Red Bus Tour:
I thought about it a bit, but I don't really think this concept clicks with the rest of WS/your WS additions- Red
7- Gondolas di Venezia: Green Light
8- Switzerland: Green Light
9- Greece: Green Light
10- Egypt:
As stated in the review, I think a few flaws in the concept is what keeps me from giving it the green light- Red

6/10 Green Lights

@DisneyPrincess1993

1- New Entrance:
This sounds good, nothing wrong here. Mostly a logistical addition, which often gets overlooked here on the forums. I guess the only thing I find a bit odd is that Stormtroopers greet guests at the front gate? I think it would kind of clash thematically, save them for Lucasfilm Studios ;)

2- Parking Garage: Another logistical thing, but this one I don't know if I'm as fond about for a few reasons. Parking garages aren't very "magical", so I wouldn't want guests to have that as their first impression. Not to mention, depending on how large it is, it could affect the skyline of the park. It would make a lot of sense though to take less real estate (and I suppose it could be themed, despite a lot of "wear and tear"), but the land used for a parking lot could be worth it for a better atmosphere.

3- Star Wars: Chronicles of the Rebellion: Starting off, the land sounds great! I'm not a huge SW fan, but I think I would be really into this! Now, for the ride itself, it sounds really cool! Like I said, not being a huge fan I'm not entirely sure what that all means :p, but the story seemed complete, and the separate endings was a cool idea (Though, could lead to a lot of re-rides, and thus backing up queues even more...). Also, I'm a bit confused on the ride technology, as you say its like Ratatouille, but there's an overhead portion? I'll re-read before my final decision, but still, nice job on this! Certainly a SW hook ride that fans want to see!

4- Millennium Falcon Walk-Through: I feel like something like this needs to be included in a SW land. However, the problem with this is that the crowds would be insane! :p In addition, I wish you included a bit more detail as it would have been nice to hear about some interactive elements if any, or about new special effects/technologies that go into it.

5- Mos Eisley Catina: Another must! Not much to say on this, not only a restaurant is a needed DHA addition, but also an incredibly immersive one! When can we start reservations :D

6- Muppet Swedish Chef Factory: Nice addition! Another cool, interactive dining experience. My only question is, is this all that's being added to the Muppet area? It feels a bit small, and I wish you mentioned how/if the area surrounding is being re-themed or not.

7- Monsters Inc Door Coaster: I think this is another great concept. At first I was worried that this wasn't going to be very original, as everyone has had the same idea for a MI door coaster and it would just be straightforward like that, but I'm glad you took it a different way, created a brand new story, and used new technology. This is a really cool idea!

Plus, the music may or may not have had me tapping along at my desk :p :D

8- A Bug's Life: Play and Ride: If there's one thing this park needs, it's a good, family-friendly dark ride. This seems to do just that in a fun way. My only problem with this is that we just didn't really get enough detail on it like a few other contestants' attractions. I'd love to see this concept further developed, but for now I have to question whether or not I want to green light it.

9- Up: Journey to Paradise Falls: It sounds really cool and really fun, but I'll be honest, I worry about this one :p I'm not quite sure I understand how it could work and it doesn't necessary sound safe...If anyone can just go on it, I see a lot of potential problems. Also, height could be an issue, as not only would it play with the skyline but also it would require a flashing light under Florida state law. I want to like this one, but it seems pretty unrealistic.

10- Journey into Disney Animation: This reminds me a lot actually of your session 9 project. I'm not so sure which one I like better though. This is a really cool attraction for an animation theme, and KUKA technology finally making its way over is awesome. Now, the thing is that I just don't know how much I would actually want to see it there over other attractions, simply because I don't know how much the "All Star" Disney characters brawl theme clicks with me. I like it, but it feels more like a good movie or TV show than ride. The problem is, I don't want to discredit you for just that, as it is well written and will have a lot of fans. This is a tough choice...

Overall Tally

1- New Entrance: Green Light
2- Parking Garage:
I don't think a parking garage would work at this point unfortunately- Red
3- Star Wars: Chronicles of the Rebellion: Green Light
4- Millennium Falcon Walk-Through:
Too many potential flaws for me... Red
5- Mos Eisley Catina: Green Light
6- Muppet Swedish Chef Factory: Green Light
7- Monsters Inc Door Coaster:
Green Light
8- A Bug's Life: Play and Ride:
Like Tiki's parade, I just don't know enough about this to green light the project- Red
9- Up: Journey to Paradise Falls:
It just doesn't seem realistic- Red
10- Journey into Disney Animation:
Green Light

6/10 Green Lit

Session 10: The Final Challenge
RESULTS!

So, now it's time to officially declare a winner...

In third place, with a total of 17 points,...
@orlando678-
Great job; while you didn't quite win, you should be proud of yourself with a third place finish, this being your first ever competition. Awesome job, and we hope to see you in the future!

And now, the winner of The Creator Games season 1...
Nevermind! :p
Ok, so the tally resulted in a *twist!* for those who didn't watch the video, and the points ended up tallying to make it a tie between @TheOriginalTiki and @DisneyPrincess1993. We didn't expect this alright!

We will have a winner though. The games are not over.

Stay tuned.....

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
Well, that was definitely a twist for the ages. With the Final Challenge ending in a tie, The Creator Games can only have one winner. We will settle this on the imagineering battlefield, as the top two imagineers in the competition will be squaring off head to head to see who comes out the winner.

Now let's set the mood and lay out the ground rules...

The Creator Games presents: TAFI Civil War

first-look-at-iron-man-s-bleeding-edge-armor-in-captain-america-3-civil-war-first-loo-390514.jpg

The Marvel Cinematic Universe has taken off these last few years and next May, we will see Captain America square off against Iron Man, in the epic film Captain America: Civil War. We are bringing that same atmosphere to this challenge as...

@DisneyPrincess1993 is Captain America
and
@TheOriginalTiki is Iron Man

For your challenge...you will scatter the globe in search of the best Disney parks to add a Marvel attraction to. Note that you can't use Walt Disney World (rights issue). Your goal is to create 1 new Marvel attraction. Please also try to keep realism in mind when designing your attraction. Can the attraction fit? Is there room? Would this be approved? Use the tools you've gained over the course of the competition to your advantage.

Any questions feel free to ask us! We think this is a fun way to end the competition, and end it with a bang!

The question is...who's side are you on?

Challenge is due Saturday July 4th at 7:00PM EST. There are no restrictions.
Good Luck!

Last edited:

DinoInstitute

Original Poster
Session 10: The Final Countdown
The Creator Games Finale

As you know, the reason we had that last challenge was because there was a calculation error that resulted in a tie. Once we announced the tie and realized the error (that DP actually won) we thought that it wouldn't be fair to constantly switch the final tally. We decided to go with a playoff.

Now that both contestants understand the situation, and a few days have passed, it's been decided (and agreed on by outside members + the contestants) that the best way to proceed is to determine the winner with the proper original calculations.

For anyone who watched Tiki's podcast Wednesday night (and go see it because it's one of his best podcasts yet), both Tiki and DP began with 13 points. Since IDI's final tally is 6/10, DP should have received 19 points, and not the 18 she received on the show. We truly apologize to both contestants as it was a grab bag of events that led to the calculation error, and it was completely accidental.

So now, while it may be a bit of an anti-climactic conclusion in some ways, @DisneyPrincess1993, we are proud to officially announce you the winner of the first season of The Creator Games! Great work this season, you earned it! @TheOriginalTiki, we really do apologize about how this ended up, and we thank you for playing as it was great to have you and your concepts!

And now, this officially concludes the 10th and final session of The Creator Games!

Thank you all for a great season! :)

spacemt354

Chili's
I would just like to give a sincere thank you to all of the contestants, hosts, and members who have graciously kept up with this competition since late-April.

It's been such a pleasure being a host for The Creator Games and it's hard for me to put into words how much I appreciate it. Disney is one of my passions and to be able to display my passion among peers was a wonderful experience. I'm really proud of the work @IDInstitute and @Sam4D23 did for this competition, as there were many memorable moments that will now be a part of wdwmagic imagineering history. I hope I get the opportunity again to work with them in the future as they are two of the brightest young minds this forum has to offer.

I'd also like to congratulate the finalists @orlando678- @TheOriginalTiki and @DisneyPrincess1993. They all put forth some of the best projects I've seen this whole competition, and they should all be proud of their accomplishments. Regardless of the final position you came in, you all are winners in my perspective.

With that, again I'd like to thank everyone for allowing me to be a host for this competition. I had a very unorthodox entry into this community, but I'm here to stay, and I'd just like to thank everyone for the experience!:)

It's been a great season everyone. Cheers to all your hard work!

DinoInstitute

Original Poster
I too have a few words on this comp ;) :)
I would just like to say I've had an amazing time hosting this. For a long time I have been looking forward to this moment, and it's finally here! I'd like to thank @spacemt354 and @Sam4D23 for helping out and doing an amazing job putting this together with me- Without all of us together as a team, none of this would have happened! And to all of the contestants, I really hope you have had a fun time!
It certainly wasn't the perfect run through and first edition of this, there were a few bumps in the road. But I just hope that in the grand scheme of things we look back to some of the great and fun moments, as that's really what the Imagineering forum is all about!
Thank you all, and have a magical rest of the ICS season! :)

Sam Magic

I would liket begin by congratulating both Tiki and DP for the excellent sportsmanship throughout this contest, along with their undying enthusiasm. As a judge I would like to extend my greatest thanks and appreciation for all those who played and followed along, without you this would have been impossible.

I would also like to deeply thank @spacemt354 and @IDInstitute for inviting me to be a judge. It was a great honor to work with them on this contest and the kindness they showed to me I in no way deserved. They have proved themselves to be great members of this community and I greatly look forward to the next opportunity I have to work with them.

Everyone involved in this contest work so hard and passionately to meet the deadlines with fantastic projects. It has shown to me that this community is continuously getting stronger and I can not wait to see what the future holds.

So with greetings from Munich I look forward to working with you all in the Sorcerors Apprentice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom