The Sole Imagineer: An Imagineering Competition - Discussion Thread

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I have a less touching story than that...

My family yells a lot and of course we throw in curse words from time to time so I just picked up on it. Of course you also have my generation that curses a ton so it really grew for me in middle school.
Cursing is not a generational thing. It's an experience thing. The faster you learn how to express yourself WITHOUT the need to curse, the sooner you'll learn when cursing makes a dramatic or emotional impact and is warranted, and when it's not and just makes you look like a ranting fool.

Sam Magic

Cursing is not a generational thing. It's an experience thing. The faster you learn how to express yourself WITHOUT the need to curse, the sooner you'll learn when cursing makes a dramatic or emotional impact and is warranted, and when it's not and just makes you look like a ranting fool.
I would say my generation for the most part has not learned that as of now. Cursing is very prominent in many kids my ages vocabulary.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I would say my generation for the most part has not learned that as of now. Cursing is very prominent in many kids my ages vocabulary.
My generation had a top 20 song that was called F*** YOU. And, at the time, we thought it was "deep". It was a rap song.

It's not generational.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
So then would it just be a maturity thing, that's what I'm thinking at this point.
No sir. Maturity is subjective. Generations are not. A "generation" is a matter of finite definition. People often confuse the two, especially when the media came up with catch phrases like "Generation X" and "Generation Y" (which led to every other Generation calling Gen Y, who are the TRUE 90s kids, I was a teen in the 90s, I didn't grow up with Pokemon, for example)...anyhow they were called "Generation WHY?" because they were "too spoiled to work", and then it became the "Millennials".

It's all meaningless. There is VERY little difference in human interaction than what existed 50 or 100 years ago, or even longer. That is a myth. A commonly accepted one, but in my opinion, a common one.

When I hear someone say that their "kid is a natural with computers", for example, as if "computing" is a sport, and not a science, I throw up in my mouth...just a bit...

But, it's so pervasive that I even had a Sprint level three tech who is smart enough to know how to work on the towers and knows the hardware involved, tell me while we were chatting waiting on a system update to hit my router that his kid is a genius with his iPad.

Of course I said nothing, but the reality is...that is what happens when you escalate a science and engineering thing to a matter of emotional reverence...you stop thinking of it as a skill, and start thinking of it as a talent. Sure, some people take to certain things more than others, but that isn't a reflection of talent. It's a reflection of skill.

And, sure, certain skills come to others more naturally than others, but that is what makes us all special.

The WORST thing one can do is try to be something they aren't...and by the same right, the WORST thing one can do is not explore every skill and talent they can to discover both what they enjoy AND what they are good at.

Life is not complicated. It is complex, but it is not complicated.

Here...watch this...

Sam Magic

No sir. Maturity is subjective. Generations are not. A "generation" is a matter of finite definition. People often confuse the two, especially when the media came up with catch phrases like "Generation X" and "Generation Y" (which led to every other Generation calling Gen Y, who are the TRUE 90s kids, I was a teen in the 90s, I didn't grow up with Pokemon, for example)...anyhow they were called "Generation WHY?" because they were "too spoiled to work", and then it became the "Millennials".

It's all meaningless. There is VERY little difference in human interaction than what existed 50 or 100 years ago, or even longer. That is a myth. A commonly accepted one, but in my opinion, a common one.

When I hear someone say that their "kid is a natural with computers", for example, as if "computing" is a sport, and not a science, I throw up in my mouth...just a bit...

But, it's so pervasive that I even had a Sprint level three tech who is smart enough to know how to work on the towers and knows the hardware involved, tell me while we were chatting waiting on a system update to hit my router that his kid is a genius with his iPad.

Of course I said nothing, but the reality is...that is what happens when you escalate a science and engineering thing to a matter of emotional reverence...you stop thinking of it as a skill, and start thinking of it as a talent. Sure, some people take to certain things more than others, but that isn't a reflection of talent. It's a reflection of skill.

And, sure, certain skills come to others more naturally than others, but that is what makes us all special.

The WORST thing one can do is try to be something they aren't...and by the same right, the WORST thing one can do is not explore every skill and talent they can to discover both what they enjoy AND what they are good at.

Life is not complicated. It is complex, but it is not complicated.

Here...watch this...

The point I was trying to make is similar to this, every generation is the same. Each 'generation' matures and expands their ability to think and express themselves. It is a process my peers are going through but many currently lack the ability to fully express ourselves without cursing because we are still young and growing. I guess that is the best way I can explain it.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The point I was trying to make is similar to this, every generation is the same. Each 'generation' matures and expands their ability to think and express themselves. It is a process my peers are going through but many currently lack the ability to fully express ourselves without cursing because we are still young and growing. I guess that is the best way I can explain it.
No. It is a process YOU are going through. Do not ever conflate your own personal growth with your peers. That is a conceit.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Speaking of this, I've always wanted to get into model railroading. Problems are space and money.

That is one expensive hobby if you want to make something actually worthwhile.

For now, I'm sticking to watching videos of layouts online. :p
Haha. You wouldn't want to come to my house them. I'm starting a new layout this year hopefully, if I can find a little more space :(. I may have to make a back and forth loop. I use to have a full scale model growing up that my dad and I built. We built the isle of sodor

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom