The Sole Imagineer: An Imagineering Competition - Discussion Thread

Voxel

President of Progress City
Totally agreed! I hadn't heard him before, and I'll check more of his stuff out! I really enjoyed that! And you are right, not only is his lyrical style excellent, but so is the music and delivery.
It reminds me of the old Simon and Garfunkel style but with a more modern twist.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Isn't it an iMovie trailer template?
It may be. Whatever it is, i t looked great, don't you think? I'd still love to see RM do a writeup on it. As I said at the end of Tiki's interview with me, I'd love to see everyone learn from each other when it comes to becoming stronger with skills, hence why I created that Workshop thread (which, I need to post a bit more on, but I haven't really had downtime since SA...)

Sam Magic

Speaking of double edged swords, the best place to do these interviews and conversations is a room on the other side of my house across from my room. Now given our house and the rooms distance from the stairs I do not always hear my parents when the call for me. Typically they do not call for me at this time, but I had to sign some school papers.

Anyways, my mom was calling me from the kitchen and I was above it and did not hear her calling, eventually she had to come to the stairs and scream. This of course made her mad and possibly interrupted the the video. Anyways I had to leave and go and sign the papers and of course my parents were not too happy about the whole situation, especially because they do not like me going into that room because I can't hear them try and contact me.

Now the reason I go in there is so they do not have to hear me talk to people so it is a double edged knife. The one good thing is that I now have 'permission' to film in my room so that is where my videos will take place from now on. Overall that is probably the better set up, but given the time of most of this stuff I don't want to wake or bother them.

I'm working to resolve the whole thing, so hopefully I can finish that interview in the future if you all are interested or I can finish answering the questions through text.

Again, I apologize for all of that especially if in fowl language was heard.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Sorry about that very abrupt end guys.
Don't worry about it one bit. Outside of your salty mouth (which you and Tiki both self-censored a bit, and TIki certainly started it!) I really was enjoying your interview.

Though, I'm not sure you need to hold your mic the whole time like that! <grin>

Sam Magic

Don't worry about it one bit. Outside of your salty mouth (which you and Tiki both self-censored a bit, and TIki certainly started it!) I really was enjoying your interview.

Though, I'm not sure you need to hold your mic the whole time like that! <grin>
<grin> yeah, you should of heard me before the interview I was saltier than the ocean. I'm glad you enjoyed it though!:)

I held the mic just so you guys would pick up on the sound because the headphones I used are not always the best when it comes to that.

<grin>

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Speaking of double edged swords, the best place to do these interviews and conversations is a room on the other side of my house across from my room. Now given our house and the rooms distance from the stairs I do not always hear my parents when the call for me. Typically they do not call for me at this time, but I had to sign some school papers.

Anyways, my mom was calling me from the kitchen and I was above it and did not hear her calling, eventually she had to come to the stairs and scream. This of course made her mad and possibly interrupted the the video. Anyways I had to leave and go and sign the papers and of course my parents were not too happy about the whole situation, especially because they do not like me going into that room because I can't hear them try and contact me.

Now the reason I go in there is so they do not have to hear me talk to people so it is a double edged knife. The one good thing is that I now have 'permission' to film in my room so that is where my videos will take place from now on. Overall that is probably the better set up, but given the time of most of this stuff I don't want to wake or bother them.

I'm working to resolve the whole thing, so hopefully I can finish that interview in the future if you all are interested or I can finish answering the questions through text.

Again, I apologize for all of that especially if in fowl language was heard.
foul, not fowl (sorry for being a grammar nazi).

And, don't worry about it. We all know what it's like to have parents frustrated with you, and in my case, I know EXACTLY what it's like to be frustrated with a child.

Don't sweat it, and carry on, carry on, and ALWAYS be honest with your parents with what you are up to. Share with them, even, to the extent of their attention span on it. Otherwise, any good parent will assume the worst.

The best analogy I can use (and even as an adult I've had to explain this hobby of armchair imagineering...in fact, TRUST me...as an ADULT I have to explain it to people, and the best analogy I've come up with is that it's no different than people who are into model trains.

No one looks at a grown man (or a teenager) who makes a model train set and says...

And, that analogy has helped a lot to explain to friends and family what exactly I do here, and why I'm happy to do it. It's a hobby. No different than their obsession with shopping at Walmart or running up their credit cards with needless cra....er...

I mean...it's something to do.

Zweiland

And, don't worry about it. We all know what it's like to have parents frustrated with you, and in my case, I know EXACTLY what it's like to be frustrated with a child.

Don't sweat it, and carry on, carry on, and ALWAYS be honest with your parents with what you are up to. Share with them, even, to the extent of their attention span on it. Otherwise, any good parent will assume the worst.

The best analogy I can use (and even as an adult I've had to explain this hobby of armchair imagineering...in fact, TRUST me...as an ADULT I have to explain it to people, and the best analogy I've come up with is that it's no different than people who are into model trains.

No one looks at a grown man (or a teenager) who makes a model train set and says...

And, that analogy has helped a lot to explain to friends and family what exactly I do here, and why I'm happy to do it. It's a hobby. No different than their obsession with shopping at Walmart or running up their credit cards with needless cra....er...

Speaking of this, I've always wanted to get into model railroading. Problems are space and money.

That is one expensive hobby if you want to make something actually worthwhile.

For now, I'm sticking to watching videos of layouts online. :p

englanddg

One Little Spark...
<grin> yeah, you should of heard me before the interview I was saltier than the ocean. I'm glad you enjoyed it though!:)

I held the mic just so you guys would pick up on the sound because the headphones I used are not always the best when it comes to that.

<grin>
The mic picked you up fine. It's your latency on your terrible inet that causes you video issues. But, that's a larger discussion as you don't pay for your internet...no offense, but you probably don't. So...don't sweat it.

Also, the salty language doesn't bother me, but I am a firm believer in the "southern" (you'll know exactly what I'm about to say) theory that if you need to curse to explain yourself, than you prove yourself to be inarticulate.

Now, of course that is not the case. Some of the most articulate people I know use curse words, take George Carlin, who was a master a communicating deep philosophical concepts with a salty mouth.

But, he also was a wordsmith who used them for effect, not for description.

So, there is a time and a place. And, for anything wdwmagic linked...this isn't the place. (though you can probably get away with a slip or two).

Remember, there are kids who frequent these forums (and I don't mean teens, I mean kids, who have (imho) irresponsible parents...I'd never let my kid converse freely ANYWHERE on the internet at 10...but, "kids are good with them thar computers and stuff" is how most of the country things...I've been on the internet since I was around age 11...and that was a VERY long time ago...before Windows...so old...I'm sooo...old....)

<goes to curl up and die>

Sam Magic

I'll be honest with you, my parents are in some ways technologically inept. They understand that I'm apart of the forums and such, but I have yet to breaks the videos fully to them.

I understand and empathize with my parents feelings towards these things. I too would be nervous about my child putting their face and voice on the internet, especially with all the kids who do so in a stupid way. For me I have to slowly explain to them the benefits and the risks. Given they are comfortable with me codding and participating I'm sure they will not have too many problems with the videos, but like I said I have to break it slowly.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Speaking of this, I've always wanted to get into model railroading. Problems are space and money.

That is one expensive hobby if you want to make something actually worthwhile.

For now, I'm sticking to watching videos of layouts online. :p
Me too...I've really always wanted to build my own lego layout...but, I LOVE model trains.

It was a big thing in central Europe when I grew up there...they had (and still have) whole "theme parks" devoted to nothing but models.

That's where the "model" section of Legoland parks comes from. That central European fetish.

Sam Magic

The mic picked you up fine. It's your latency on your terrible inet that causes you video issues. But, that's a larger discussion as you don't pay for your internet...no offense, but you probably don't. So...don't sweat it.

Also, the salty language doesn't bother me, but I am a firm believer in the "southern" (you'll know exactly what I'm about to say) theory that if you need to curse to explain yourself, than you prove yourself to be inarticulate.

Now, of course that is not the case. Some of the most articulate people I know use curse words, take George Carlin, who was a master a communicating deep philosophical concepts with a salty mouth.

But, he also was a wordsmith who used them for effect, not for description.

So, there is a time and a place. And, for anything wdwmagic linked...this isn't the place. (though you can probably get away with a slip or two).

Remember, there are kids who frequent these forums (and I don't mean teens, I mean kids, who have (imho) irresponsible parents...I'd never let my kid converse freely ANYWHERE on the internet at 10...but, "kids are good with them thar computers and stuff" is how most of the country things...I've been on the internet since I was around age 11...and that was a VERY long time ago...before Windows...so old...I'm sooo...old....)

<goes to curl up and die>
LOL

I view curse words as 'expressive language', sometimes proper words can not portray the right emotions behind some thoughts. Still I agree that I should censor myself more.

I agree that a lot of parents have no idea what their kids do online, especially the ones who have kids that post some crazy stuff to social media. I think being so involved with the internet at this time and age will make me restrict my kids a lot more.

TheOriginalTiki

I have a weird sort of psuedo-genetic reason why I swear so much (you should see me off-mic and in my non-WDWMagic podcasts...the Frozen one being a good example :p :p ) In sixth grade I was in a really bad situation both in school and personal life...don't want to get into details of course...but the thing I always went to as an "escape" from it was the South Park movie. Every day for about six months after school I'd just go home, turn on my PS2 which had the disc in it, and just literally play the movie on repeat. It was a coping mechanism for the real life stress going on around me, I guess...Point being, I was an incredibly impressionable 12 year old at the time. It's hard to let go of langauge like that :p

Sam Magic

I have a weird sort of psuedo-genetic reason why I swear so much (you should see me off-mic and in my non-WDWMagic podcasts...the Frozen one being a good example :p :p ) In sixth grade I was in a really bad situation both in school and personal life...don't want to get into details of course...but the thing I always went to as an "escape" from it was the South Park movie. Every day for about six months after school I'd just go home, turn on my PS2 which had the disc in it, and just literally play the movie on repeat. It was a coping mechanism for the real life stress going on around me, I guess...Point being, I was an incredibly impressionable 12 year old at the time. It's hard to let go of langauge like that :p
I have a less touching story than that...

My family yells a lot and of course we throw in curse words from time to time so I just picked up on it. Of course you also have my generation that curses a ton so it really grew for me in middle school.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom