Peter's Awe-Inspiring Conquest of California on a Budget

PeterAlt

Original Poster
I checked out of the hostel and I'm now on the light rail train to Long Beach listening to Spiritual Rapper (unsolicited free live "entertainment" who doesn't rap about drugs or abusing woman). Good, he's finished! Oh, the characters you encounter here in LA! I pre-arranged and pre-paid for 2pm can service from Long Beach to Long Beach Airport from the Long Beach Transit Center (where the Blue Line ends), which is connected by walkway to beach attractions, convention facilities, and retail. It's noon right now here, so I'll probably have some time to kill and walk around the area before the cab arrives.

My flight back to San Francisco is scheduled for 4:20pm. It will arrive in San Francisco at 5:45pm. I made arrangements before the trip for Jet Blue to hand off my luggage to a third party who will deliver my luggage to my final hostel destination in San Francisco. I could have taken a bus that takes 40 minutes or so, but I'm really trying my best to avoid these devils like the plague!

However, I am not going to check in until much later. From the San Francisco airport, I will take the CalTrain south to San Jose to just barely make it by 7pm when the doors open for Sunrise, a techno music events at the San Jose Civic Center, where I will stay until its planned end at 2am. Then, I will take the train into San Francisco and check in to the hostel (3am-4am). I may do an after hours club in the Bay Area and not actually sleep, but we'll see if I'm up to it then. I may run into the same problem that I had with Metrolink (Southern California's commuter rail) leaving DLR (with the trains no longer operating for the rest of the evening) with Caltrain (the Bay Area's commuter rail). I'll research this beforehand.

Then, sleep or no sleep, the Disney Family Museum is scheduled for tomorrow morning when it opens at 10am. I'm going to have to leave there by noon in oder to make my flight home at 2-something.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I checked out of the hostel and I'm now on the light rail train to Long Beach listening to Spiritual Rapper (unsolicited free live "entertainment" who doesn't rap about drugs or abusing woman). Good, he's finished! Oh, the characters you encounter here in LA! I pre-arranged and pre-paid for 2pm can service from Long Beach to Long Beach Airport from the Long Beach Transit Center (where the Blue Line ends), which is connected by walkway to beach attractions, convention facilities, and retail. It's noon right now here, so I'll probably have some time to kill and walk around the area before the cab arrives.

My flight back to San Francisco is scheduled for 4:20pm. It will arrive in San Francisco at 5:45pm. I made arrangements before the trip for Jet Blue to hand off my luggage to a third party who will deliver my luggage to my final hostel destination in San Francisco. I could have taken a bus that takes 40 minutes or so, but I'm really trying my best to avoid these devils like the plague!

However, I am not going to check in until much later. From the San Francisco airport, I will take the CalTrain south to San Jose to just barely make it by 7pm when the doors open for Sunrise, a techno music events at the San Jose Civic Center, where I will stay until its planned end at 2am. Then, I will take the train into San Francisco and check in to the hostel (3am-4am). I may do an after hours club in the Bay Area and not actually sleep, but we'll see if I'm up to it then. I may run into the same problem that I had with Metrolink (Southern California's commuter rail) leaving DLR (with the trains no longer operating for the rest of the evening) with Caltrain (the Bay Area's commuter rail). I'll research this beforehand.

Then, sleep or no sleep, the Disney Family Museum is scheduled for tomorrow morning when it opens at 10am. I'm going to have to leave there by noon in oder to make my flight home at 2-something.

Your somewhat frenetic schedule made me smile. I honestly don't know how you'll manage to accomplish so much in such a tight timeframe, but it sure does make for interesting reading! :happy: If you pull all this off without a hitch, it will be nothing short of miraculous! ;) Good luck to you!

StarWarsGirl

Hey Peter. Finally got through your report. Sounds like you are having fun. Some thoughts:

We have Light Rail up here if you're ever up for a Baltimore trip! Though I personally don't use it very much.

DL is a nicer park than MK. I think it was funny that people thought of WDW as the greatest. Though I like WDW overall better, DL has two excellent theme parks. I had to laugh over a conversation these kids were having in line for Indiana Jones about how Dinosaur was way better. o_O Guess it's the novelty value.

Shame you didn't get to see World of Color

DL's Space Mountain and WDW's Space Mountain are completely different attractions. There is no comparing the two. I like them both for
different reasons.

DL's Splash Mountain is pathetic compared to WDW's. I agree fully on that. BTMR was under refurb the last time I was there.

Basically, both WDW have their high and low points. You gotta learn to appreciate both for what they are.

Loved your Hollywood Walk of Fame photos, especially the Robin Williams tribute.

Can't wait to hear about the Family Museum!

seahawk7

@raven24 What would you do? I could take the metro to downtown LA and then take MetroLink to Anaheim. Or I could wait on those girls and go with them tomororrow (if they go) and split a taxi with them. This is a pic of one of those girls cropped from her Facebook page so that you can understand my delema..

View attachment 63834
Is she the one on the right? ;)

PeterAlt

Original Poster
My plane has been delayed. It's now scheduled to land at San Fran at 7:14pm. This means I will now get to the event I was planning to go to in San Jose no earlier than 8:15pm. While this may be bad news, it's not buzz kill because the event goes on until 2am!

Also, this lady who shared a shuttle with me to the airport, who is also on my flight, is visiting her daughter and husband who are living in San Fran has decided like I'm her best friend now or something and she's been texting her daughter trying to get her to help me, without telling her it's for someone she just met who's on her flight. Never a dull moment, right?

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Soarin there has single rider. I hope this post isn't too late, sorry.
It was too late... Lol... As I said, I already know it's in much better shape than the EC version because of that clean room (which the EC version cut out). Good thing I didn't to on it, as the dark dirty film print of the the EC version is still fresh in my mind, seeing it well-maintained and still in "new" condition (even though it's a few years older) would have made my blood boil because TDO could have prevented it.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Is she the one on the right? ;)
Lol. They ended up deciding to go to Yosemite National Park and camp out there. We chatted the next day. My problem was that I confused the two of them. They both looked alike (blond hair, English accent). It was Rachel (the one pictured, not the WDW CM in costume) who added me to Facebook (her friend Laura added me two days later). It was Rachel who wanted to go with me to DL and the music event in San Jose I'm about to miss the first few hours of). Yet, I kept talking to Laura, thinking she was Rachel. A bit awkward.

The problem is there's just not enough time.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Your somewhat frenetic schedule made me smile. I honestly don't know how you'll manage to accomplish so much in such a tight timeframe, but it sure does make for interesting reading! :happy: If you pull all this off without a hitch, it will be nothing short of miraculous! ;) Good luck to you!
Too funny. Prior to reading your post, I also used the word "frenetic"!

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Just landed in San Fran. I forgot to include the carry on bag with the luggage going directly to the hotel. Can't get into the music with that bag. I'm going to ask that lady if she could hold it and I'll get it from her after the event. She already made sure I had her phone number so I think she would.

EDIT - She said no. I really hope they let me in with it! I'm really pushing the limits of my problem solving skills! Off to Caltrain to San Jose!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom