Peter's Awe-Inspiring Conquest of California on a Budget

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Another thing, I just so happens to be that the BART subway passes under San Jose and does not stop. It stops at every city it passes, but not San Jose. If it did stop there, there would be no problem escaping the city at any time. I find it real odd that a big city like San Jose would be absent of a BART station, despite the fact that the BART passes under it! Isn't that weird? It's like that elevator that doesn't stop on the 13th floor but there is a 13th floor and you have to take the stairs to get there but the stairwell is locked and the maintenance people won't be in until the morning.
Maybe San Jose has an identity it's trying to maintain.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Maybe San Jose has an identity it's trying to maintain.
I later looked up San Jose in Wikipedia. It has the highest homeless rate of any city in California. I read this and said to myself, "those are the souls who couldn't get out!" It's really not funny. Just very eerie.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
I advise everyone to watch an old Twilight Zone episode. I believe the name of it was Willowby (sp?) to better understand why San Jose is so spooky.

"Next stop Willowby!"

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Oh, changing the subject back to Santa Monica. I just found out they are building a light rail that will end at Santa Monica beach. Had this been open, it would have cut travel time substantially. I'm glad they're building it!

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Also, @The Mom and @Nemo14 I admit I am being a tad dramatic. It wasn't a bad wait at all. I get this haunted feeling about San Jose, which has nothing to do with the fact that I had to wait a few hours longer for a train. The lyrics of Hotel California come to life in a weird way in that city.

The Mom

Premium Member
True, but in this case, everyone I talked to seemed to have forgotten it was a holiday. Had it not been a holiday, the next train would have been 4am, which isn't bad. I was more concerned about getting there and figured that in a worse case scenario I would just return to San Fran later, which is what happened. It wasn't all that bad. I'm still glad I did it. I'm just saying San Jose is a haunted city. I felt the presence of other souls that didn't make it back and weren't so lucky.

Again, you were NOT traveling on a holiday. But that wouldn't make any difference - the holiday schedule is the same as the weekend schedule - which is when you were traveling. You were traveling on a Saturday night/Sunday morning - weekend. And the train doesn't leave until 8AM on Sunday mornings.

http://www.caltrain.com/schedules/weekend-timetable.html

I was able to find the schedule in about 30 seconds. It clearly shows the weekend schedule.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Again, you were NOT traveling on a holiday. But that wouldn't make any difference - the holiday schedule is the same as the weekend schedule - which is when you were traveling. You were traveling on a Saturday night/Sunday morning - weekend. And the train doesn't leave until 8AM on Sunday mornings.

http://www.caltrain.com/schedules/weekend-timetable.html

I was able to find the schedule in about 30 seconds. It clearly shows the weekend schedule.
Ok. You're right! There were so many other details to worry about that I easily overlooked that one. I was more stressed out about what I was going to do with my luggage and how I was going to retrieve it. That, by the way, I did plan and execute successfully.

I was more focused on getting there and I ignored the getting back part. Again, you're right.

EDIT - If you read my report, I did think about this after Disneyland, when I had to take the bus back to Hollywood. I did say that I need to see when the Caltrain returns from San Jose so that this sort of problem didn't happen again. Apparently, I never followed through with that thought.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom