Peter's Awe-Inspiring Conquest of California on a Budget

Californian Elitist

Peter, I'm glad you were finally able to take the train. In saying that, it doesn't seem you planned good enough. I'm not sure why you posted your itinerary in the Bob Saget thread, but you should have had the Californians over at the Disneyland forum help you out. We have an "Explore Southern California" thread and many of us have been up North. We could have helped you with public transportation and made sure you wouldn't run into problems like these, not to mention recommendations on what and what not to do. I know the DL community is itty bitty here, but there are enough of us to help others out, not only in terms of Disneyland but in terms of California in general.

Next time, if there even is a next time, head over to the DL forum and let one of us help you.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Peter, I'm glad you were finally able to take the train. In saying that, it doesn't seem you planned good enough. I'm not sure why you posted your itinerary in the Bob Saget thread, but you should have had the Californians over at the Disneyland forum help you out. We have an "Explore Southern California" thread and many of us have been up North. We could have helped you with public transportation and made sure you wouldn't run into problems like these, not to mention recommendations on what and what not to do. I know the DL community is itty bitty here, but there are enough of us to help others out, not only in terms of Disneyland but in terms of California in general.

Next time, if there even is a next time, head over to the DL forum and let one of us help you.
Yeah/

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Immediately upon being back in SF I feel at ease. It was just San Jose. That city is the Hotel California! I wasn't sure if I was alive or dead. Cities never spooked me before that that city was spooky!

PeterAlt

Original Poster
On the train, I called the banks of the gift cards. I still have around $100 left! In San Jose, I was having nightmares of going penniless.

PeterAlt

Original Poster

Expanding on my earlier reply...

My itinerary was kind of a group effort of that thread that was many weeks in the making. After a certain point, I asked people's opinions if even more planning was required, and the consensus was that I had planned enough. There were a few more last minute plans added past that. The sense was that the trip would have a sense of adventure and spontaneity is important. I think it was planned right and all the key outlined components of it fit naturally.

The errors, mostly, were just stupid oversights on my part.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

My itinerary was kind of a group effort of that thread that was many weeks in the making. After a certain point, I asked people's opinions if even more planning was required, and the consensus was that I had planned enough. There were a few more last minute plans added past that. The sense was that the trip would have a sense of adventure and spontaneity is important. I think it was planned right and all the key outlined components of it fit naturally.

And the horrible decision to try to plan a trip like this on a thread that was historically a total nonsense thread.

Californian Elitist

I understand. Still, posting in a forum where people most likely couldn't fully help you wasn't wise. I'm just curious as to why you didn't come to the DL forum for advice/help.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
I understand. Still, posting in a forum where people most likely couldn't fully help you wasn't wise. I'm just curious as to why you didn't come to the DL forum for advice/help.
Because I wasn't traveling like a normal person, and everyone else was vicariously sharing my adventure. I don't think there is anything I did that I would suggest
a "normal" traveler do. Conversely, my goal was to do the unconventional. Blind Discovery, good or bad, is an important part of this.

Last edited:

PeterAlt

Original Poster
On the plane home to South Florida and the flight is on time (early actually). Both my parents decided to come get me at the Fort Lauderdale airport for when we land. I took our local equivalent to Metrolink and Caltrain a commuter rail called Tri-Rail, serving the tri-county

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom