Peter's Awe-Inspiring Conquest of California on a Budget

PeterAlt

Original Poster
I got some great pictures. I'm trying to upload them now but the Internet keeps going on and off in the area. Including wi-fi signals.

I was part of a studio game show audience. They keep us there for three entire episodes and wouldn't let anyone leave. That give new meaning to "captive audience"...

PeterAlt

Original Poster
I'm at that PadShare hostel I mentioned on the Bob Saget thread. It just doesn't get better than this!

Here's a view from my "pod" and inside the room...

image.jpg

I'm leaving out sooo much I want to talk about because so much went on today. So, I will share it a bit at a time. I've had incredible conversations with people that I'm dying to talk about but these deserve more than just a few mentioning lines, so I'll share them when I have enough time to do it justice!

Oh, here's the DHS expansion plan, if any cares...

(disclaimer: don't get your hopes up)

image.jpg

Okay, this isn't the expansion plan. It's a real map of the Hollywood Boulevard area and directory of attractions. When I saw this, it was easy for me to imagine DHS's expansion resembling this. Two Hollywood streets are already represented in DHS's layout. It is, therefore, logical for these other streets to be worked into an expansion layout. There are more landmark buildings to replicate and attractions (modern and historic) that could fit in nicely, if added. Star Wars could be added outside of the zone of streets represented on the map!

PeterAlt

Original Poster
I just learned that the Crystal Method will be performing live at The Avalon (within walking distance from where I'm staying) this Friday evening! Guess what I'm gonna do?! That means I must go to DL tomorrow! These two girls from England I met today staying at the same hostel just arrived here from Florida and went to WDW want to go to DL and said they would go with me, but they don't know I want to go tomorrow yet. They're sleeping now and I'm likely to leave early so I can make it there ata descent close to opening. They also want to go with me to the music event I'm going to in San Jose, friending me on Facebook for an invite. What should I do if I don't see them before I leave? Wait? Just go? Cancel Crystal Method and do DL on Friday? Any who, I messaged one of them on FB and told her about Crystal Method.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
The photos of Robin Williams' star and the items people left there, was quite moving. Thank you for sharing those pictures. It must have been a solemn moment for you, standing there and taking it all in.

Well, I hope you have another great vacation day today, and it sounds like you have many options to choose from! It's also interesting to see (from your photos) how hostels are so modern now; years ago, they were far more basic. Glad to hear that you're making new friends throughout your CA journey! :)

PeterAlt

Original Poster
I got locked out last night. It was my fault. I thought some other building was the hostel and Ipoinded on the doors wondering why my security code wasn't letting me in. In hour or so later, I realized I was at the wrong place and got in sometimes I can be really dumb!

My body aches. I woke up thirstier than an elephant and limped around outside looking for anything open. After an initial wrong turn, I found a restaurant. Now, I am newly armed with ibuprofen and Tylenol and I'm ready to carry on. I'm not going to wait on those girls I mentioned (but I should... I really, really should) but today is my only opportunity to get a full day of DL (if I see Crystal Method Friday). I'm going to let my breakfast digest, rest a short bit, do my research on how to get there, and I'll see if I green light the DL excursion for today, but I'm assuming that's the plan...

MOXOMUMD

I got locked out last night. It was my fault. I thought some other building was the hostel and Ipoinded on the doors wondering why my security code wasn't letting me in. In hour or so later, I realized I was at the wrong place and got in sometimes I can be really dumb!

My body aches. I woke up thirstier than an elephant and limped around outside looking for anything open. After an initial wrong turn, I found a restaurant. Now, I am newly armed with ibuprofen and Tylenol and I'm ready to carry on. I'm not going to wait on those girls I mentioned (but I should... I really, really should) but today is my only opportunity to get a full day of DL (if I see Crystal Method Friday). I'm going to let my breakfast digest, rest a short bit, do my research on how to get there, and I'll see if I green light the DL excursion for today, but I'm assuming that's the plan...
Unfamiliar territory, it happens.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
@raven24 What would you do? I could take the metro to downtown LA and then take MetroLink to Anaheim. Or I could wait on those girls and go with them tomororrow (if they go) and split a taxi with them. This is a pic of one of those girls cropped from her Facebook page so that you can understand my delema..

image.jpg

Californian Elitist

@raven24 What would you do? I could take the metro to downtown LA and then take MetroLink to Anaheim. Or I could wait on those girls and go with them tomororrow (if they go) and split a taxi with them. This is a pic of one of those girls cropped from her Facebook page so that you can understand my delema..

View attachment 63834

I'm subjected to taking the 460 all the way to Disneyland, which takes two hours, even though I'm just 30 minutes away. I sometimes take the Green Line (which connects to the Blue/Long Beach Line) to the 460, then take the 460 all the way. Which way of transportation did you choose?

PeterAlt

Original Poster
I'm subjected to taking the 460 all the way to Disneyland, which takes two hours, even though I'm just 30 minutes away. I sometimes take the Green Line (which connects to the Blue/Long Beach Line) to the 460, then take the 460 all the way. Which way of transportation did you choose?
I got on the Metrorail at Hollywood-Vine and somehow missed my stop at Union Square, did a complete circle and got off at Hollywood-Vine, after realizing the train was going further away now, took the next train on the other platform, got off at Union Square, bought Metrolink round trip tickets to Ananheim, now waiting at the platform at Union Square. I was told to get off at Fullerton and take the Metrolink Anaheim train from there. I'm not going to get there until some time after 1pm. The parks close at midnight, so no big deal. I'll still have mostly a full day there.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
While I am waiting on the train, I'll talk a little about the game show I was part of the studio audience of.

image.jpg

It had stars Luke Perry and Kathy (I don't know her last name but the audience was very familiar with who she was). Any way, I was talking to the person sitting next to me. She's from LA. When I told her I was from Florida, her exact words: "Really?! I've never been to Florida. It's been my dream to go there and see Walt Disney World! I'm a Disney nut!"

You can imagine the can of worms she just opened up by saying that. My whole attitude changed abruptly from semi-shy to mega-talkative. She wanted to hear everything I had to say about WDW, comparing the rides, etc.

She told me a lot about DL. It was funny hearing her talk about Car Land having lots of shops and not enough rides because that's exactly what we say about FLE. She went on a tangent about how DL's Tomorrowland doesn't have enough rides. I told her that Star Wars Land was coming to Tomorrowland but latest rumor says it's coming to Toontown. She said, "That's what I heard."

I told her to sign up for this site and she told me she's already a member her and come on "occasionally". I told her my screen name and she didn't recognize it. So, I'm not sure she was being completely honest about being a member here. I should have asked her what her screen name is. She also advised me to take the Metrorail to Union Square and then the bus. I should have listened. I'm still waiting on the Metrolink train from Union Square.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
I'm on the Metrolink train now. Cozy!

image.jpg

I took a battery backup for my phone and left my solar charger, but I should have enough power to cover most of the day live. I also took my two 3D camera to try to get some good 3D pics as well. The 3D cameras have a 2D option as well, in case I completely run out of juice, but any pics I take with that will not be live.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom