Muppets Mini-Land / Muppets Courtyard Additions & Refurbishments

DinoInstitute

I hope not. as great as I want that attraction to be, I can't see it providing an all encompassing POV of the Star Wars Universe, just Han and Chewie's. There was a reason they redid the ride instead of getting rid of it all together. It's too beloved to write off into history completely. Considering that the current version opened in 2011 and assuming the land will open sometime before or around 2021, it's likely the ride will not reach a full 10 years of operation and would barely make it past that mark if it somehow does. The last thing the park needs is to lose it's small handful of defining attractions as it gains the others.
Wait, so Star Tours might be going away altogether?!?!? That's an unacceptably tragic position for such an iconic attraction to be in. Even with the two new attractions, Star Tours still does what they won't do by encapsulating most of the locales from Star Wars Universe in one attraction. Normally, I wouldn't believe that since that ride is one of the few saving graces currently in the park, but considering what's happening to ToT at DCA and possibly DHS as well, I would hold nothing against them.
I don't think the actual "Star Tours" ride is iconic as you say (IMO that is) and definitely wouldn't be comparable to losing ToT to GotG. All that makes the ride defining for DHS is its IP; the actual experience is fun, sure, but that all stems from the fact that it's simply Star Wars. Once SW is represented with its own land ST will lose some of its appeal I think.

Nickels5

I did hear of a proposal to remove the Stage One Company a while back but it went quiet.
What a change that would be, getting ride of a shop for an actual attraction. I am just glad they realize that this area needs some love, with all the updates and facades being redone I think we are going to see something sooner rather then later materialize.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If they really really wanted a second Muppet attraction, they could always carve out a space in what will be the new parking lot and make the service road go around it. From behind MV3D you could get a Muppet themed playground, splashpad, and flat ride.

Or, build a new, larger, nicer Italian restaurant elsewhere in DHS and take over Mama's.

HauntedMansionFLA

Yea that's how it was in September as well, I believe that has to do with two things, less people are going to DHS and theres nothing drawing crowds back there. That's why I feel like a ride in that section of the park would do wonders for that area. I also believe that will change once Star Wars land opens up.
Ride wise, even a Muppets themed carousal would be nice. The Muppets area looked good in December but like you said, more people will be going in that direction when SWL opens up.

Nickels5

Ride wise, even a Muppets themed carousal would be nice. The Muppets area looked good in December but like you said, more people will be going in that direction when SWL opens up.
I would prefer to see something more elaborate then a carousal, there is a lot of material for a dark ride. With the rumors of the GMR going away I would love to seem the long talked about Muppet GMR to offset the loss.

HauntedMansionFLA

I would prefer to see something more elaborate then a carousal, there is a lot of material for a dark ride. With the rumors of the GMR going away I would love to seem the long talked about Muppet GMR to offset the loss.
How would you connect The GMR with the rest of the Muppets mini - land? You might have the same problem trying to connect ST with the rest of SWL?

CanadianGordon

I know it might be sacrilege but once SWL is open maybe retheme Star Tours to Muppet Tours? Blue sky thinking.

Just think of all the trips the Muppets have taken.

Donaldfan1934

Don't get me wrong. It'll still be updated and support the new episodes. But it does seem to have a finite lifespan now.

A replacement IP hasn't been decided from what I know. Which of course isn't remotely everything.
Even though it's funded by the studio's promotion budget and not the parks, but it does seem like a waste to funnel updates into a ride that'll be gone in a few years. By the time Episode IX comes out, an update might not even make sense. I think that no matter what they put in there next, it'll be yet another shameless Star Tours clone in the vein of Body Wars or Iron Man Experience that'll only remind guests of what was once there. Anyway, thanks for the update. I hope they change there mind between now and then, but at least I'll be more emotionally prepared if and/or when the day does come. As great as SWL looks by itself, the park needs to hold onto as many of its few saving graces as it can in order to become a truly full day park.

Rodan75

The don't have to go through Mama's for a connector. The road is going away and being replaced by parking lot. (A different road for the entrance is in the works.) They could take over some of the parking lot for a connector.

Given the dearth of sit-down eating spaces at DHS, I highly doubt they'd go through MM's. And the Escape Ride is already on top of MV3D, that even if they wanted a connector, there ain't much room for one now.

View attachment 187951

Wow. This construction helps me realize I had no idea how DHS was laid out.

Given how GMR is boardering the construction, seems like a no brainer for them to tackle that redo before they open SWL.

PizzaPlanet

Stranger things have happened.
Indeed.
thumbnail_2_243d4dde_v3.jpg

Jones14

Removing the shop for a flat ride would honestly do a lot to help open up the area as a whole. The dimensions of the building are very imposing, and it makes the paths from the exit of MuppetVision to PizzeRizzo feel tighter than they actually are because of the way it divides the two paths back there.

A new attraction of any kind would also help draw more traffic back there, which would in turn draw more patrons to PizzeRizzo and whatever Mama Melrose is eventually turned into, as well as (probably) boosting MuppetVision's numbers a bit.

It would also balance the park a bit more by getting rid of another soundstage-like building and adding a ride that isn't in the confines of Star Wars or Toy Story, so naturally, it's not gonna happen.

Last edited:

Nickels5

Removing the shop for a flat ride would honestly do a lot to help open up the area as a whole. The dimensions of the building are very imposing, and it makes the paths from the exit of MuppetVision to PizzeRizzo feel tighter than they actually are because of the way it divides the two paths back there.

A new attraction of any kind would also help draw more traffic back there, which would in turn draw more patrons to PizzeRizzo and whatever Mama Melrose is eventually turned into, as well as (probably) boosting MuppetVision's numbers a bit.

It would also balance the park a bit more by getting rid of another soundstage-like building and adding a ride that isn't in the confines of Star Wars or Toy Story, so naturally, it's not gonna happen.
Completely agree, this area is screaming for a ride. Would really help disperse the crowds.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The MK's carousel is 91 feet across. The alley between MV3D and MM is only 15 feet wider. That gives you seven and a half feet to pass on either side of a carousel that replaces the shop.

If you want a Muppet ride you have to chose between replacing MV3D, Mama Melrose, Star Tours, or a portion of the new parking lot. The question is if WDW wants a new Muppet ride.

Here's where it can expand into the lot...

upload_2017-2-5_18-34-40.png

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
The MK's carousel is 91 feet across. The alley between MV3D and MM is only 15 feet wider. That gives you seven and a half feet to pass on either side of a carousel that replaces the shop.

If you want a Muppet ride you have to chose between replacing MV3D, Mama Melrose, Star Tours, or a portion of the new parking lot. The question is if WDW wants a new Muppet ride.

Here's where it can expand into the lot...

View attachment 188007
@MisterPenguin I love your maps and I think you're onto something... Gift shop into carousel first, then after SWL opens tear down MM expand out for another restaurant theme around Chef (like some thought PizzeRizzo might be) and build a back entrance to the newly re-themed Muppet Tours (formerly Star Tours)... Picture all the cheesiness and humor the overlay could be and all the places they could/ have gone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom