News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

britain

I think there is an odd problem inherent with GMR, and it's the inverse of Disney's Tomorrowland problem:

The attraction is a trip into Hollywood's greatest movies, with an emphasis on classic Hollywood. As the population ages, "classic" Hollywood movies move further into the past, and become less beloved by the general public. Cagney, John Wayne, Johnny W's Tarzan... With every passing year, GMR is slowly turning into an Edutainment attraction. (And I love those! But it's a tougher sell to take that which is less-known-IP-but-worthwhile and make it fun, rather than to simply promote that which is popular.) Perhaps these same properties should remain, just with updated effects, but then it starts feeling a little cynical. "YOU kids don't find this Bogart guy that interesting, but if I make your vehicle spin without a track you'll like it right? Oh and can I give you a haircut before you meet Pres. Lincoln?"

So, what about replacing some of the movies that the attraction features? Unfortunately we live in an era where studio synergy is top priority and that priority is sometimes at odds with "Greatest Movies". Should the Alien section be replaced with a GotG segment or a Gravity segment? Has GotG truly earned its spot? (Has Gravity for that matter?) Should some modern musicals replace Singing in the Rain? Sorry, I mean should some modern DISNEY musicals replace Singing in the Rain?

No matter what new-ish movies you pick, the old are going to be sad to see the old classics go, while the young are going to perceive Disney IP pushing. (Which honestly started happening to the finale just a few short years after GMR opened. Sister Act? Really?) And in another 25 years, it would just need to be updated again. No one thinks the Auctioneer or the Redhead need replacing.

seabreezept813

I think there is an odd problem inherent with GMR, and it's the inverse of Disney's Tomorrowland problem:

The attraction is a trip into Hollywood's greatest movies, with an emphasis on classic Hollywood. As the population ages, "classic" Hollywood movies move further into the past, and become less beloved by the general public. Cagney, John Wayne, Johnny W's Tarzan... With every passing year, GMR is slowly turning into an Edutainment attraction. (And I love those! But it's a tougher sell to take that which is less-known-IP-but-worthwhile and make it fun, rather than to simply promote that which is popular.) Perhaps these same properties should remain, just with updated effects, but then it starts feeling a little cynical. "YOU kids don't find this Bogart guy that interesting, but if I make your vehicle spin without a track you'll like it right? Oh and can I give you a haircut before you meet Pres. Lincoln?"

So, what about replacing some of the movies that the attraction features? Unfortunately we live in an era where studio synergy is top priority and that priority is sometimes at odds with "Greatest Movies". Should the Alien section be replaced with a GotG segment or a Gravity segment? Has GotG truly earned its spot? (Has Gravity for that matter?) Should some modern musicals replace Singing in the Rain? Sorry, I mean should some modern DISNEY musicals replace Singing in the Rain?

No matter what new-ish movies you pick, the old are going to be sad to see the old classics go, while the young are going to perceive Disney IP pushing. (Which honestly started happening to the finale just a few short years after GMR opened. Sister Act? Really?) And in another 25 years, it would just need to be updated again. No one thinks the Auctioneer or the Redhead need replacing.

It's official l am old...

Goofyernmost

I visited Epcot last Christmas and future-world feels like an old outpost from the D.H.A.R.M.A. initiative from 1979-1982.

Energy is bad and needs a complete overhaul...very dated. I walked into their bathroom and they still had an advertisement on the urinal for a brick phone.
CIvzIeYUsAAyzon.jpg

GMR.... great concept, solid ride. Does feel dated but wouldn't need a huge overhaul. It can stay, it can go, it can get refurbished....I'm good with whichever decision they make.

I don't understand how a ride based on historical old movies can "feel dated". Isn't it supposed to be about the Hollywood that never was and always will be? Isn't the very mission a description of dated material, no longer in high demand but what made Hollywood, well, Hollywood?

Andrew_Ryan

When I was a kid, I loved the GMR, but I always looked forward to future updates of the attraction. I figured they could occasionally swap out sections of the ride for newer films or newer, established classics. Unfortunately, they never did. And now the attraction has a low enough rating from guests for them to justify gutting the attraction.

Just like the Carousel of Progress, those updates that seemed so obvious and easy to do just never came. After years of waiting, I've pretty much accepted that unless it's a video, they aren't updating it.

AEfx

Joss tells a slightly different version of this story. According to him, he never wanted to give these characters last names for artsy-fartsy reasons, but these game people just kept HOUNDING him. "They NEED names!!!" So at great risk to his creative integrity, he relented.

Makes sense to me based on how the characters were presented on the show (on several levels). And a perfectly valid commentary on his part about how external forces upon a franchise force creative decisions. Sounds to me like he relented because he knew they'd be given surnames one way or another, so they he might as well just bite the bullet and do it himself.

Or there was the big how-to-do when he left Twitter. He couldn't just leave quietly; no, no, he had to make a big statement about how he thought it was a cesspool.

So he told the truth and you hold it against him? LOL.

In all seriousness, I'll give that your reasons aren't the typical misunderstanding of him that some Marvel-fanboys have, but I'd also have to say that those are really flimsy as reasons to find the man egotistical. That's sort of why he is jokingly called "God" by fans of his earlier works - because he is so self-effacing and the last one in the room to take credit for anything, even though out of most of the creative-show-runner/franchise lead types that are around, he actually is the most hands on and directly responsible for the end product and it's success.

Cesar R M

I don't understand how a ride based on historical old movies can "feel dated". Isn't it supposed to be about the Hollywood that never was and always will be? Isn't the very mission a description of dated material, no longer in high demand but what made Hollywood, well, Hollywood?
arent they talking about EPCOT mainly and not the great movie ride?.
EPCOT supposedly should be showing top tier technology, not ancient stuff from 20+years ago. so the phone thing is different.
Agree with you on GMR. Yet I think they need to add new "classics" that have followed with huge acclaim. animated or not. (like The Return of the King, the dark knight, gladiator, etc.. )

AEfx

Dunno, people still remember the old ducktales and many older of the golden days of Disney TV (ducktales, darwing duck, rescuers, tailspin, etc..)

A lot more people watched those shows than Gravity Falls, though. I watch Disney Channel at least a few hours a week and I had no idea what it was until it appeared in Disney Infinity (RIP) and had to look it up. Same with a lot of their animated daytime stuff - they seem to well segregate the daytime kid vs. nighttime live-action tween stuff (the latter is what I tend to watch LOL).

The Disney shows you are referencing were shown every day after school on broadcast television, back when kids came home from school and sat down in front of the TV instead of the computer. Tens of millions of children (who grew up to be adults with their own kids now) watched those shows every single weekday. There just isn't a comparison today - keep in mind, back then, a prime time TV show that brought in 10 million viewers a week would be cancelled for low ratings; today, that would be a breakout hit. Times have changed considerably.

mimitchi33

Dunno, people still remember the old ducktales and many older of the golden days of Disney TV (ducktales, darwing duck, rescuers, tailspin, etc..)
The only one I can think of besides Gravity Falls is Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, the only difference being that Star Command is based on a franchise that still makes money. There was also Doraemon, but that was a dub of a long-running Japanese cartoon that aired on Disney XD like GF.
The Disney shows you are referencing were shown every day after school on broadcast television, back when kids came home from school and sat down in front of the TV instead of the computer. Tens of millions of children (who grew up to be adults with their own kids now) watched those shows every single weekday. There just isn't a comparison today - keep in mind, back then, a prime time TV show that brought in 10 million viewers a week would be cancelled for low ratings; today, that would be a breakout hit. Times have changed considerably.
I noticed that change looking at ratings charts not only from here, but from other countries. Once, I saw a Japanese ratings chart from 1995 and some of the shows had insanely high ratings. Sazae-san had 30.5 million viewers, and Sailor Moon had 20 million. In the modern day, kids' shows there get 5 million viewers at most. Aside from the staple anime like Sazae-san and Doraemon, the highest-rated show amongst kids is Yo-Kai Watch.
I agree, there is actually quite a lot to look at and its a great escape from the hoards of crowds at 7DMT. I don't think I have ever waited more than 10 minutes for this one, but still its something I still try to hit every time I return to the World.
I've never ridden the Florida version of that (there were long waits when I went), but I enjoy the California version! It never has a wait and is a fun way to relax.

Goofyernmost

arent they talking about EPCOT mainly and not the great movie ride?.
EPCOT supposedly should be showing top tier technology, not ancient stuff from 20+years ago. so the phone thing is different.
Agree with you on GMR. Yet I think they need to add new "classics" that have followed with huge acclaim. animated or not. (like The Return of the King, the dark knight, gladiator, etc.. )
No, if you look at the very bottom of the post you will see the reference to GMR. My comment only applied to that.

Cesar R M

A lot more people watched those shows than Gravity Falls, though. I watch Disney Channel at least a few hours a week and I had no idea what it was until it appeared in Disney Infinity (RIP) and had to look it up. Same with a lot of their animated daytime stuff - they seem to well segregate the daytime kid vs. nighttime live-action tween stuff (the latter is what I tend to watch LOL).

But people are more diversified.
The TV is not the only mettering now and its dumb to only count "nielsen scan" type devices.
Most people are now moving towards streaming.
Hell, I download most episodes of cartoons I like because I want them with subtitles and watch them anytime I want.

mimitchi33

The TV is not the only mettering now and its dumb to only count "nielsen scan" type devices.
Hell, I download most episodes of cartoons I like because I want them with subtitles and watch them anytime I want.
I think I'm the only one who watches normal shows on TV, unless it's a foreign anime or streaming-only show like Glitter Force.
Yes. It is supposed to be about the golden days of Hollywood and it's best films.

AEfx

Well, that's a whole different ball of wax - though the ratings are now getting better at taking into account other viewing sources, they have a ways to go (and likely will never count illegal downloads, etc.).

But it's not about diversified viewing of content, it's about a) the huge amount of content and b) the competing media.

With a), there used to be about 100-150 television series in any given year. They recently did a calculation, and between broadcast TV, cable TV, Netflix/Hulu/Amazon originals, etc. there are currently over 450 television shows in active production (not to mention the thousands of previous series available via streaming/etc.). There is just a staggering amount of content, and when you account for b) - the fact that back when "Disney Afternoon" was on, it's competition was VHS tape and Nintendo consoles, versus now (it was even before most households had computers, much less online access).

So in an age when we have so many more choices of what to watch, and many new devices and non-television content to consume, the days of TV shows getting that kind of traction are just mathematically impossible.

Goofyernmost

Well, that's a whole different ball of wax - though the ratings are now getting better at taking into account other viewing sources, they have a ways to go (and likely will never count illegal downloads, etc.).

But it's not about diversified viewing of content, it's about a) the huge amount of content and b) the competing media.

With a), there used to be about 100-150 television series in any given year. They recently did a calculation, and between broadcast TV, cable TV, Netflix/Hulu/Amazon originals, etc. there are currently over 450 television shows in active production (not to mention the thousands of previous series available via streaming/etc.). There is just a staggering amount of content, and when you account for b) - the fact that back when "Disney Afternoon" was on, it's competition was VHS tape and Nintendo consoles, versus now (it was even before most households had computers, much less online access).

So in an age when we have so many more choices of what to watch, and many new devices and non-television content to consume, the days of TV shows getting that kind of traction are just mathematically impossible.
And yet they still have nothing worth watching. I see they are showing Tot's and Tiara's again. I hate that. I look at that as being child abuse and the people that watch that are no better then the ones that exploit them for money.

AEfx

And yet they still have nothing worth watching. I see they are showing Tot's and Tiara's again. I hate that. I look at that as being child abuse and the people that watch that are no better then the ones that exploit them for money.

LOL. True, there is a lot of crap out there. But a decent amount of good stuff, too. Have you seen "Stranger Things" on Netflix? It's amazeballs...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom