News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

FigmentJedi

I'd like to see a "critter country" (perhaps North American forest themed) as a home to cartoon toons in the short term to increase attraction capacity at DAK for longer hours. It would surely appeal to IP obsessed execs as well. I've envisioned something like that being build off the path between Africa and Pandora to round out that side of the park. If they really must, an area themed to Zootopia could also be used, though I'd prefer something more generic.

I've described my take on this before: Reimagined Camp Minnie Mickey as the National Park setting from the Humphrey Bear cartoons with a North American animal trail with photo-op figures of woodland Disney critters along the way, a Campsite for character greets, and a log flume ride based around the Fearsome Critters from lumberjack folklore possibly mixing Max and Goofy in something like the Bigfoot sequence of Goofy Movie.

Matt_Black

I've described my take on this before: Reimagined Camp Minnie Mickey as the National Park setting from the Humphrey Bear cartoons with a North American animal trail with photo-op figures of woodland Disney critters along the way, a Campsite for character greets, and a log flume ride based around the Fearsome Critters from lumberjack folklore possibly mixing Max and Goofy in something like the Bigfoot sequence of Goofy Movie.

Throw in The Mystery Shack from Gravity Falls and I'm sold!

Matt7187

Throw in The Mystery Shack from Gravity Falls and I'm sold!
Considering that Gravity Falls is already off the air (correct?), I would doubt an investment in the parks would be made for the IP. Also, Disney Channel shows all have very short shelf lives of popularity that wouldn't translate to the parks tbh.

Matt_Black

Considering that Gravity Falls is already off the air (correct?), I would doubt an investment in the parks would be made for the IP. Also, Disney Channel shows all have very short shelf lives of popularity that wouldn't translate to the parks tbh.

Well, Journal #3 is doing quite well in book sales, selling out repeatedly. You'd think there was a demand for the popular show....

Matt_Black

Ah, you are one of those that doesn't get the deadpan sarcasm of the man. ;)

Oh, I understand, and I also know when he's not being sarcastic. In the early 2000s, Eden Studios produced pen & paper RPG versions of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. Well, when they were statting up Kendra and Faith for their Slayer's Handbook supplement, they noticed that neither one had any last names in any of the material they were provided by 20th Century Fox. So, they call their contact, who tells them they'll look into in their records. They wait, and eventually they're provided with last names. Apparently, it made it all the way up the chain to Joss himself, who named the characters then and there.

Joss tells a slightly different version of this story. According to him, he never wanted to give these characters last names for artsy-fartsy reasons, but these game people just kept HOUNDING him. "They NEED names!!!" So at great risk to his creative integrity, he relented.

Or there was the big how-to-do when he left Twitter. He couldn't just leave quietly; no, no, he had to make a big statement about how he thought it was a cesspool.

Ripken10

A very small group of people. All I'm trying to say to you is that Gravity Falls has a very, very small chance of ever coming to the parks.
People on these boards never forget anything...but that doesn't really mean a thing (except that it will result in this argument going on till the end of time about such and such belonging in the park)

seabreezept813

The GMR, like Energy, needs a lot of work doing to it. Guest polls have also - apparently - rated it low in various areas. This got notice. Whether a big overhaul and update of the current theme could remedy this I don't know. I'd like to think so. But the company are going in a different direction.

GMR also costs a lot to run and maintain. An LPS ride system isn't cheap, but the overall running and staffing costs would be much less than the GMR.

I could understand people complaining about the ride's upkeep, but if the complaints are about content, then I guess I can blame guests as much as Disney :(

CinematicFusion

The GMR, like Energy, needs a lot of work doing to it. Guest polls have also - apparently - rated it low in various areas. This got notice. Whether a big overhaul and update of the current theme could remedy this I don't know. I'd like to think so. But the company are going in a different direction.

GMR also costs a lot to run and maintain. An LPS ride system isn't cheap, but the overall running and staffing costs would be much less than the GMR.

I visited Epcot last Christmas and future-world feels like an old outpost from the D.H.A.R.M.A. initiative from 1979-1982.

Energy is bad and needs a complete overhaul...very dated. I walked into their bathroom and they still had an advertisement on the urinal for a brick phone.
CIvzIeYUsAAyzon.jpg

GMR.... great concept, solid ride. Does feel dated but wouldn't need a huge overhaul. It can stay, it can go, it can get refurbished....I'm good with whichever decision they make.

Magenta Panther

But in 3, 4, 5 years, is anyone going to remember a Disney Channel show that lasted only 2 seasons? I don't think so..

Gravity Falls had a story to tell and it told it well but now it's over. I think it will always be remembered, but now that it's reached a conclusion, it's hard to believe that the interest will remain high. It's like Phineas and Ferb - a very popular Disney show that has now ended, and...that's that. People have moved on. Trying to keep something going that USED to be popular can be an exercise in futility (as Disney has had occasion to learn, although the lesson apparently hasn't fully taken hold yet in some cases). Nostalgia does have a certain power, but it's poor fuel for a revival. When something is brought back, there may be a burst of interest, but it fizzles quickly. Personally, I liked GF and Phineas and Wander Over Yonder, but yeah...I don't think they're good candidates for theme park attractions. Maybe some things are best left in their original medium, and in people's memories. Dire things can happen when you try to raise the dead...

Matt_Black

Gravity Falls had a story to tell and it told it well but now it's over. I think it will always be remembered, but now that it's reached a conclusion, it's hard to believe that the interest will remain high. It's like Phineas and Ferb - a very popular Disney show that has now ended, and...that's that.

Both of those shows are still in heavy rotation on Disney XD. Which is baffling, because that would otherwise cut into time they could use to air even longer blocks of Walk the Prank. (Ugh. That show. Every "prank" seems to consist of someone in a costume running out going "WAAH".)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom