Spirited Special II: DHS Guardians Tower Not Dead; DL to Trade Nostalgia For Star Wars Pyro

CinematicFusion

I think this one would actually be a REALLY good one for Epcot to explore. I've been fascinated by the concept of automation in jobs and especially in self driving cars. They have self operating machines that pull items from story high warehouse, Amazon Air delivering stuff to your house in 30 minutes through tiny helicoptors, cars that can drive little Suzy to her friend's house so mom can be undisturbed studying for the BAR while getting grandma to bingo no hassle, and machines that know how to milk cows on their own. I bet Walt Disney would be all over self driving cars since they make the People Mover almost pointless for anything other than entertainment.

Obviously, not to get into the politics of it, the bad thing is jobs being replaced, but no one's going to deny these concepts aren't cool to explore. Everyone wants to know about this stuff and how it works.

It's cool...it's coming, it can't be stopped. Do these images excite you....or.... strike a little fear in you? Epcot won't be able to keep up with the explosion that is about to happen. These things would have been cool at Epcot 15 years ago, it's about to become normal everyday life just like our smart phone is.
Good or bad? I don't know...but it's already here. Netflix killed Blockbuster, Apple killed the music store. Is Target, Wallmart, Bestbuy the next to go?...
Best Buy Tests robot for New York store.
bestbuyrobot.jpg

Amazon is already testing PrimeAir...
Developing_Delivery_Drones_hero.jpg.aspx

Google is testing and perfecting it's driver-less cars...
Google-Driverless-Taxi-Cab-706x369.jpg

Mcdonalds, Wendy's, and many others are moving to the Kiosk system.
AR-150329478.jpg

Many of the theaters I've gone to have ticket boths now...once people get used to the system, you don't really need anyone behind
the counter.
ticketcounter.JPG

Brown University creates first wireless, implanted brain-computer interface
Arto-Nurmikko-and-Ming-Yin-wireless-bci-640x353.jpg

Last edited:

RobidaFlats

It's cool...it's coming, it can't be stopped. Do these images excite you....or.... strike a little fear in you? Epcot won't be able to keep up with the explosion that is about to happen. These things would have been cool at Epcot 15 years ago, it's about to become normal everyday life just like our smart phone is.
Good or bad? I don't know...but it's already here. Netflix killed Blockbuster, Apple killed the music store. Is Target, Wallmart, Bestbuy the next to go?...
bestbuyrobot.jpg

AR-150329478.jpg

Many of the theaters I've gone to have ticket boths now...once people get used to the system, you don't really need anyone behind
the counter.
ticketcounter.JPG

The fact that some of these technologies are being tested is the perfect time for them to be shown in innoventions. Leaving the kiosk, self-ordering stuff aside (there's nothing particularly amazing there), these technologies have not yet been implemented on a large scale. That is the sweet spot for displays.

Given the regulatory world in which we live, self-driving cars, delivery drones, and other cutting-edge techs require government approval. The easiest way for companies to help themselves over that hurdle is to show their tech to the constituencies of lawmakers. Not only would it be cool to see the different parts of a self-driving car in action and up close, but it might also help people feel more comfortable with the premise of autonomous driving. The next step is of course planting the seeds of excitement that might make people future customers.

It's a win-win. The key is to remember that these displays should never be designed to sit and age in the public eye. They have to be constantly evolving and rotating to reflect updates in the industry. The current thinking of WDW management is what is unable to keep up. Things are not moving so quickly that they would be out of date as soon as they hit the floor. Just think about how long self-driving cars have been in testing. Things don't move nearly as quickly as we like to think (and hope) that they do. They just move faster than the glacial pace of Disney.

Bocabear

By that logic, Disney World POTC should be redone into a Deadpool ride because the Disneyland one is waaaaay better.
Well... I would think that gutting the WDW Pirates and cloning the Shanghai version would be fine...as long as the original and best version is kept at Disneyland... but Deadpool would not work in that location...lol send that one to EPCOT where it would make perfect sense...lol

RSoxNo1

bestbuyrobot.jpg

AR-150329478.jpg

the counter.
ticketcounter.JPG

These look like cool things that should have been in Innoventions 5 years ago.

LongLiveTheKing

Well... I would think that gutting the WDW Pirates and cloning the Shanghai version would be fine...as long as the original and best version is kept at Disneyland... but Deadpool would not work in that location...lol send that one to EPCOT where it would make perfect sense...lol
Ths Shanghai version has one good animatronic and is 90% screens. If I wanted to watch a movie, I'd stay home, pop some popcorn and watch the Pirates OTC films.

LongLiveTheKing

you have those types of special effects in your house? impressive.
Uh, no? But I have all the Pirates films and I'd have more fun with those. If you want to butcher the WDW Pirates, be my guest, but the Shanghai version of it the equivalent of George Lucus' take on remastering the original Star Wars trilogy with shoving a bunch of CGI crap instead of using puppets and props.

Uh, no? But I have all the Pirates films and I'd have more fun with those. If you want to butcher the WDW Pirates, be my guest, but the Shanghai version of it the equivalent of George Lucus' take on remastering the original Star Wars trilogy with shoving a bunch of CGI crap instead of using puppets and props.
Just wanted to say I strongly agree with this guy. Except I don't like the pirates movies. Screens and VR are UBIQUITOUS in our lives, and kids are frankly not going to be impressed by them. What "wows" and has lasting staying power is physical practical effects and illusions, audio animations, etc. Screens will look dated (in a very bad way), and many of the early screen rides of course already do. When you've got VR and 3d and the best graphics the universe can provide in the comfort of your own living room, why go to WDW for the same thing? Screens are an incredibly short sighted investment.

Lol. Oh boy. Even as someone who prefers AAs over screens in a general sense, y'all are making me laugh.

The comparisons about "i can just do that at home" are beyond ridiculous.
In two years every kid who's parent could afford to take them to WDW will own an HTC Vive or an Oculus Rift or whatever the next generation is. They will spend all of their gaming/entertainment time fully immersed in 3D virtual worlds with unparalleled graphics that they can actually interact with instead of just passively watch.

There is no future in screen based theme park entertainment. It's as dead as dinosaurs.

LongLiveTheKing

Lol. Oh boy. Even as someone who prefers AAs over screens in a general sense, y'all are making me laugh.

The comparisons about "i can just do that at home" are beyond ridiculous.
The screens I absolutely can do at home. I don't care if they're bigger than Imax. It's still a screen. If you want to talk about the animatronics and drops, go for it. But don't tell me I should give a crap about a ride that's 90% screens.

Mike S

The screens I absolutely can do at home. I don't care if they're bigger than Imax. It's still a screen. If you want to talk about the animatronics and drops, go for it. But don't tell me I should give a crap about a ride that's 90% screens.
I'm guessing you have advanced motion bases and 4D effects perfectly synced to the video like water, wind, smells, etc. in your house too?

This is like the people who say they can recreate TSMM with some Wii's and an office chair, lol.

LongLiveTheKing

I'm guessing you have advanced motion bases and 4D effects perfectly synced to the video like water, wind, smells, etc. in your house too?

This is like the people who say they can recreate TSMM with some Wii's and an office chair, lol.
TSMM basically is a Wii light gun game. I had more fun with Umbrella Chronicles. Actuallu, no, it's just a better experience. Hell, I'd rather buy Link's Crossbow training.

Also, I'm tired of this "Oh, have you RIDDEN it?" crap. Of course I haven't. It doesn't look interesting to me. I'm not going to pay for a trip that doesn't impress me. Has anyone considered, I don't know, I have to be interested in a product before spending money on it?

I'm done with this conversation on Pirates Shanghai, although I was done with it two posts ago. I'm not into it. You're not going to make me be into it. No, I'm not going to give it a chance. Period. This argument started because someone suggested replacing WDW Pirates with Pirates Shanghai, which apparantly everyone is for since they're so hell bent on telling me how awesome it is. How recognizable is original POTC? Why would the majority of the public want it replaced?

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I am not a huge fan of the "screenz" compared to physical sets, but the fact that anyone could compare it to watching tv is ludicrous. Screens add immersion and actio that just can't be created by AA's, and I would bet anything that screens are not going the way of the dinosaurs in theme parks.

I think it's smart to use both AAs and screens together when appropriate.

But really, we have had this silly argument on here many times. This is probably the silliest though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom