Spirited Special II: DHS Guardians Tower Not Dead; DL to Trade Nostalgia For Star Wars Pyro

Stevek

I played it. Unfortunately, I didn't buy the deluxe version of the game which comes with a package to highly theme your room to be the size of a toy, many incredible set pieces, an interactive Potato Head animatronic, unique and fun vehicle motion, or lively and exciting 4D effects :(
View attachment 155278
We have this (not the deluxe version ;)) and have always found it enjoyable. Is it the same as being in an immersive ride vehicle, no, but still gives you a fairly good version of the actual game you play while on the ride.

yeti

I don't think Toy Story Mania runs on a mainstream game engine. It's a complex (expensive) system built from the ground up that achieves the effect of interacting with a 3D show. Forget the physical effects. The graphical fidelity alone, combined with instantaneous synchronization with a moving vehicle and a number of failsafes isn't exactly comparable to a rolly chair and a bunch of laptops.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
For all of the complaints about screens, I have a serious confession to make: the attractions are only a fraction of the many reasons I love and frequent WDW. The service, ambiance, dining, and immersion are absolutely equal factors for me, and therefore the serious decline in quality I've seen in those facets bother me a lot more than the screens do.

Screens are a symptom of the problem at WDW not the problem itself, The absolute best use of screens so far is the Hogwarts Express where they help create the illusion that you are travelling through the English countryside in a shabby British Rail coach.

LongLiveTheKing

For those curious what this looks like, I remember watching this a while ago :hilarious:

That's pretty bad especially if it seems to be a common enough occurence for it to be recorded and for @BrerJon to see it, but at least it wasn't Clippy from Word.

"I see you're riding a roller coaster. Would you like me to help convince you the Yeti animatronic is working?"

brb1006

That's pretty bad especially if it seems to be a common enough occurence for it to be recorded and for @BrerJon to see it, but at least it wasn't Clippy from Word.

"I see you're riding a roller coaster. Would you like me to help convince you the Yeti animatronic is working?"
Go away Clippy
latest

BrerJon

When it failed when I rode it the issue was more than just a menu showing like on the video - there was no video at all, just a bluescreen-with-icons Windows desktop.

Having worked on video installations in the past, I've seen this sort of thing happen - my guess is someone had accidentally swapped the cables around, and the Yeti was showing on the control screen by mistake.

AEfx

I don't think Toy Story Mania runs on a mainstream game engine. It's a complex (expensive) system built from the ground up that achieves the effect of interacting with a 3D show. Forget the physical effects. The graphical fidelity alone, combined with instantaneous synchronization with a moving vehicle and a number of failsafes isn't exactly comparable to a rolly chair and a bunch of laptops.

LOL, actually, I have been saying that indeed you could replicate it that way since it's inception. Though with Wii and motion controls, not laptops. :)

Disney even made it easy for you - they made a Wii game where you can do just that - the only thing is, it isn't in 3D. Other than that? It's a reasonable facsimile of the ride experience. I bet you I could get as many laughs and giggles out of the folks with a home made version - or, enough so that building a several hundred million dollar version of it seems silly. Not many "headliner" attractions you can say that about.

Bairstow

So no Unreal engine with Havoc physics?
Maybe one day we'll get Midway Mania: Source.

Cesar R M

I don't think the many, many parents who grew up with original trilogy Star Wars now taking their kids to Disney parks are gonna complain.
Except most of the content will probably not be about the original trilogy.
Plus you can have only so much until it starts to annoy you because its everywhere and you cant escape.

LongLiveTheKing

Except most of the content will probably not be about the original trilogy.
Plus you can have only so much until it starts to annoy you because its everywhere and you cant escape.
Yeah but episode 7, both visually and story wise, is basically purely an extention of 4-6 that I'm betting 8 and 9 will be as well. They are much less their own thing than the prequels were.

As for oversaturation of Star Wars, I still don't think 99% of park goers are going to care. This isn't Marvel that used to purely be for a niche in comics or even as nerdy as Star Trek, and even then, just having a bunch of Star Wars around doesn't suffocate anyone. It's a lasting brand that has proved its staying power. Even with the Star Trek and Marvel examples, the worst that happens is apathy for that stuff for the vast majority, not hate. The only people angry about the high Frozen saturation are people on Disney boards.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom