Spirited Special II: DHS Guardians Tower Not Dead; DL to Trade Nostalgia For Star Wars Pyro

FigmentForver96

TSMM basically is a Wii light gun game. I had more fun with Umbrella Chronicles. Actuallu, no, it's just a better experience. Hell, I'd rather buy Link's Crossbow training.

Also, I'm tired of this "Oh, have you RIDDEN it?" crap. Of course I haven't. It doesn't look interesting to me. I'm not going to pay for a trip that doesn't impress me. Has anyone considered, I don't know, I have to be interested in a product before spending money on it?

I'm done with this conversation on Pirates Shanghai, although I was done with it two posts ago. I'm not into it. You're not going to make me be into it. No, I'm not going to give it a chance. Period. This argument started because someone suggested replacing WDW Pirates with Pirates Shanghai, which apparantly everyone is for since they're so hell bent on telling me how awesome it is. How recognizable is original POTC? Why would the majority of the public want it replaced?
Your going to fit in so well with that attitude :rolleyes:

DinoInstitute

I am not a huge fan of the "screenz" compared to physical sets, but the fact that anyone could compare it to watching tv is ludicrous. Screens add immersion and actio that just can't be created by AA's, and I would bet anything that screens are not going the way of the dinosaurs in theme parks.
I like the use of screens when they are there to enhance the show scene/physical sets. I'd much rather the background to a scene be a screen rather than just a painted backdrop, as it is more immersive. Even solely screen based attractions I can like as long as there aren't a huge amount. Which there isn't.
I think it's smart to use both AAs and screens together when appropriate.

But really, we have had this silly argument on here many times. This is probably the silliest though.
Exactly. Not to pick on this one guy, as I've seen the argument on here a lot regarding both screens and IPs, but it's just taking the "doom and gloom" thing a bit far IMO. Saying things like "I don't pay good money to go to Disney just to sit in a room and watch a Star Wars movie or play a wii game that I do at home. I want unique experiences". Well, I'm just saying, even if you don't like screens (which is perfectly fine), there's no denying that these attractions are still incredibly unique experiences.

FigmentJedi

Exactly. Not to pick on this one guy, as I've seen the argument on here a lot regarding both screens and IPs, but it's just taking the "doom and gloom" thing a bit far IMO. Saying things like "I don't pay good money to go to Disney just to sit in a room and watch a Star Wars movie or play a wii game that I do at home. I want unique experiences". Well, I'm just saying, even if you don't like screens (which is perfectly fine), there's no denying that these attractions are still incredibly unique experiences.
Midway Mania's not even a unique experience within the parks themselves, what with Buzz Lightyear already being a Toy Story themed shooter ride. But while Buzz is a physical attraction with full sets, Midway Mania just has blacklight carnival tent corridors in-between the Wii games.

Mike S

TSMM basically is a Wii light gun game. I had more fun with Umbrella Chronicles. Actuallu, no, it's just a better experience. Hell, I'd rather buy Link's Crossbow training.

Also, I'm tired of this "Oh, have you RIDDEN it?" crap. Of course I haven't. It doesn't look interesting to me. I'm not going to pay for a trip that doesn't impress me. Has anyone considered, I don't know, I have to be interested in a product before spending money on it?

I'm done with this conversation on Pirates Shanghai, although I was done with it two posts ago. I'm not into it. You're not going to make me be into it. No, I'm not going to give it a chance. Period. This argument started because someone suggested replacing WDW Pirates with Pirates Shanghai, which apparantly everyone is for since they're so hell bent on telling me how awesome it is. How recognizable is original POTC? Why would the majority of the public want it replaced?
Actually it seems that no one agrees with him that Pirates in MK should be replaced by Shanghai's considering his post has 0 "likes" as of this post of mine.

Sorry @Bocabear. I do agree with you on other things though :)
Midway Mania's not even a unique experience within the parks themselves, what with Buzz Lightyear already being a Toy Story themed shooter ride. But while Buzz is a physical attraction with full sets, Midway Mania just has blacklight carnival tent corridors in-between the Wii games.
That being said I'll take TSMM over Buzz any day. It's more fun and doesn't look like it's falling apart.

TeriofTerror

For all of the complaints about screens, I have a serious confession to make: the attractions are only a fraction of the many reasons I love and frequent WDW. The service, ambiance, dining, and immersion are absolutely equal factors for me, and therefore the serious decline in quality I've seen in those facets bother me a lot more than the screens do.

DinoInstitute

...but you practically can. :p Wasn't there a console version of TSMM selling a few years ago? Could've sworn I saw it somewhere, maybe next to Super Monkey Ball on the shelf.
I played it. Unfortunately, I didn't buy the deluxe version of the game which comes with a package to highly theme your room to be the size of a toy, many incredible set pieces, an interactive Potato Head animatronic, unique and fun vehicle motion, or lively and exciting 4D effects :(
image.jpeg

V_L_Raptor

I played it. Unfortunately, I didn't buy the deluxe version of the game which comes with a package to highly theme your room to be the size of a toy, many incredible set pieces, an interactive Potato Head animatronic, unique and fun vehicle motion, or lively and exciting 4D effects :(
View attachment 155278

And here's where we get into ride experience quality. If, for example, you're visiting the attraction on a Fastpass, you're going to bypass a lot of that anyway (Potato Head definitely, and a lot of the queue set pieces). Potato Head could be down that day. I can say that I didn't notice any special effects beyond the 3D, but then, those don't always work. Someone else might have experienced those.

Point is, if you're a big fan of the attraction, all that's A-OK and great. If you're not, you might skip that one when you visit (and might go play the Wii port instead). If you're looking at the ways WDW has been declining by degrees (hell, full radians), you might not think a park ride with an actual Wii version is a big enough deal to make a pilgrimage to the hallowed swamps.

Not saying that's how it is for everyone who's panning screen-rides, but for this one, they've got an out. It just happens not to include a Mr. Potato Head AA.

seabreezept813

So not sure at this point if it's on or off topic, but I finally made myself watch GOTG, and not that I should be surprised or anything, but nothing in that film even vaguely works in the ToT design. The movie was semi-entertaining, but Disney's obsession with it is even more obscure and over-hyped than I realized.

Cesar R M

"never rode it, still im somehow an expert on this"
then you're comparing a full ride with AA's, boat, ride, water, show scenes, smells, effects to a home theater and then complain about a suggestion of cloning?
really? lol! :hilarious:

sarcasticthumbsup.jpg

Regardless, I wouldn't clone Shangai and replace the original pirates.

Last edited:

LongLiveTheKing

So not sure at this point if it's on or off topic, but I finally made myself watch GOTG, and not that I should be surprised or anything, but nothing in that film even vaguely works in the ToT design. The movie was semi-entertaining, but Disney's obsession with it is even more obscure and over-hyped than I realized.
Thinking about the DCA version, they could have that maintainence area be the maintainence of a ship or something. If they completely tear out the look of everything else (spooky lobby included) they can turn it into literally anything, including a giant blue lunchbox that can be viewed at any point in either park instead of an iconic Hollywood hotel. For the actual ride itself, I'm sure they can contrive some sort of scenerio with the characters.

Cesar R M

I joked with my friend and his room mates that Almost Human was actually Deus Ex the show.

They didn't know what I was talking about and then it got canceled :(
hence shhhh, or we will perhaps get the "half life 3" curse.
Where even Gaben said that everytime someone bothered him with questions regarding HL3.. he would delay the game on purpose. :bored:

Mike S

Thinking about the DCA version, they could have that maintainence area be the maintainence of a ship or something. If they completely tear out the look of everything else (spooky lobby included) they can turn it into literally anything, including a giant blue lunchbox that can be viewed at any point in either park instead of an iconic Hollywood hotel. For the actual ride itself, I'm sure they can contrive some sort of scenerio with the characters.
Except you're not in a ship. You're in "a kind of warehouse, fortress, power plant."
Falling apart still requires physical sets and objects with moving parts, not blacklight murals of carnie game booths
Touché.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom