Carousel of Progress exterior refurbishment

Gringrinngghost

The new paint job looks great - very "retro Disney" as it should be.

With the last scene, I always think they should try and get Apple to sponsor it and let them showcase their latest products, updated every year or two in return.

The Issue with that is Apple's update cycle and what they put hardware wise into their devices. They release revisions of the Mac twice a year (when you talk about full redesign it's about three years). New iPhones & iPads ever year. iPods Touches and Apple TVs every three years and the Apple Watch which looks like it will be a yearly or every 2-year update cycle. Plus how would they fit Apple into the final scene? You would need something very blatant with the Apple logo and you get virtually nothing. Some astute guests could figure out what laptops they are using and what not but again, most wouldn't even realize it. Apple also isn't really in the forefront for latest technologies expect in their portables line (and that's debatable), My MacBook Pro when I bought it in December 2013 (Late 2013 model) is literally the same CPU and GPU as my Dell laptop I bought in August 2012 (Only things that are missing/different and are very minor), so Apple's PCs are really a year behind to what Dell, HP, ASUS etc. can offer you.

WDWtraveler

Original Poster
Photo update as of Saturday, July 23. Not many noticed the plantings (landscaping) around the base of Carousel of Progress was also changed during the exterior refurbishment. The below photo is the "before" plantings taken April 10. Notice the large leaf tropical plants in the bed around the sign.

img_7660-jpg.137721

Taken today (July 23), the new landscaping is a lower shrub with small leaves. This change was not done recently, but several weeks ago, as can be seen in previously posted photos.

IMG_8163.JPG

One additional detail...every theatre door has this painted detail.

IMG_8162.JPG

So question for you guys, ANIMATONICS is there anything you guys would like seen done with them. Other then updating the clothing in Act 4, any other maintenance issues you may have noticed? I'll be forwarding a few of your responses to the engineering department that handles the animation for the show. So if you noticed something "now is the time" to speak and we'll try to get it fixed during the refurb next week! Have a great big beautiful day everyone!

MerlinTheGoat

Found a pretty cool video showing off the new paint job "in motion" (sped up)-

So question for you guys, ANIMATONICS is there anything you guys would like seen done with them. Other then updating the clothing in Act 4, any other maintenance issues you may have noticed? I'll be forwarding a few of your responses to the engineering department that handles the animation for the show. So if you noticed something "now is the time" to speak and we'll try to get it fixed during the refurb next week! Have a great big beautiful day everyone!
It has been a few months since i've been, so i'm unsure if this has already been fixed. The only really consistent thing i've noticed has been that the skin on some of the Father animatronics was looking a bit too shiny. The new lighting adjustment I heard about may have helped or even fixed this entirely. But perhaps the refurb crew will be better able to make a good call on the proper lighting and skin tones than myself anyways.

Other than that, nothing I can't recall much offhand beyond routine maintenance. Just make sure the figures are all working correctly and none of the interior parts are showing. Would be nice to see them upgraded to A100's or some other motion improvements, but i'm guessing that's not on the table for such a short refurb. Also assuming the final scene won't be upgraded immediately either.

Goofyernmost

It has been a few months since i've been, so i'm unsure if this has already been fixed. The only really consistent thing i've noticed has been that the skin on some of the Father animatronics was looking a bit too shiny. The new lighting adjustment I heard about may have helped or even fixed this entirely. But perhaps the refurb crew will be better able to make a good call on the proper lighting and skin tones than myself anyways.

That has been a problem for years now. Wasn't there a time when he had the big growth like thing on his neck, like a bolt working it's way out or something. That was that way for a number of years as well. Last time I was there that was fixed. I've heard a lot of complaints in recent years about the sound system, but, I have never noticed anything off about it and I have been going to CoP since 1983. If anything it always seemed to loud where others have stated that they never could hear it. Oh, well... perhaps we will get some new improved stuff if they have finally figured out that they don't have to upgrade the last scene and they can just leave it as the last part of the 20th century. Keeping fingers crossed anyway, because all it takes is a good reason and CoP will be nothing more then a hole in the ground where an attraction used to sit.

Last edited:

Other than that, nothing I can't recall much offhand beyond routine maintenance. Just make sure the figures are all working correctly and none of the interior parts are showing. Would be nice to see them upgraded to A100's or some other motion improvements, but i'm guessing that's not on the table for such a short refurb. Also assuming the final scene won't be upgraded immediately either.

They're planning on replacing skins during this refurb, and actually John in act 2 will be updated to a "newer" A-100 for testing of performance. Thank you so much and I will pass this on to them! Have a great big beautiful night! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom