Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Florida's queue is definitely better, but Disneyland's load area is cooler. Bringing this back to the Hulk (I believe that's how Space Mountain was brought up), a cool queue and load area doesn't change the fact that it's largely an exposed steel roller coaster.

No argument there, At least in my view it's the attitude each park takes toward it's signature coaster UNI quite obviously loves theirs and lavishes it with care and attention, Disney just does the minimum to keep it running and does not care about it at all.

Speedy71

Disneyland replaced their track. Disney World patched their track. New trains in Disneyland, as far as I know Disney World's trains weren't replaced.

The video also doesn't mention the on board audio at all which is the biggest differentiator.

The reason space mountain is even at DL is because of the success it had in FL.

cheezbat

I find Florida's versions too rough and the effects more dated than Disneyland. However, the biggest differentiator is the onboard audio. Disneyland's version without the audio is definitely inferior to WDW's version, but with it, it's a fantastic attraction.
I disagree. The only thing WDWs version has over Disneylands is the drops. Aside from that its a far more painful mess compared to DLs. I've gotten more beat up on rides on MKs version than even some bigger badder coasters elsewhere in the country.

Brad Bishop

One thing I really wish they'd do for Space Mountain: Light it up like they used to.

I've said it before: It used to be a prominent feature as you approached the MK. You'd see the castle and then, just off to the right, you'd have this bright, white glowing futuristic mountain.

Now you barely notice it. Part of it may be that it needs a cleaning and/or coat of paint, but the other part is that it needs proper lighting.

Speedy71

Florida's queue is definitely better, but Disneyland's load area is cooler. Bringing this back to the Hulk (I believe that's how Space Mountain was brought up), a cool queue and load area doesn't change the fact that it's largely an exposed steel roller coaster.

like I said if you'd rode space mountain at it's prime before they screwed up the loading area after the refurb. IMO WDW would still be superior.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It was not always rough...when it opened, before the trim breaks were added, it was so smoothe...and the dome effects used to be even better. They really need to invest in getting the track smoothed out a bit, and plussing up all the extremely dated effects... they could easily make this spectacular if they wanted to...
The original queue and exit was amazing... the star port and the home of future living...Such a shame they discarded it and then never fully updated the exit...just a half-assed attempt to freshen it up. They should have all of those animatronics from Horizons somewhere...they would be great to add to the exit ramp scenes...make it futuristic again...

It was smooth in the early years, The track is simply worn out in WDW the Trim Brakes were added to get some more life out of the ride now the next refurb is going to require a complete ground up rebuild. Just take that one in kiddies Right now the only reason SM still runs is nightly visits by a welding crew. Just let that one sink in for a bit.

Mike S

Due to the look of MSHI I think Hulk works there. Same with RRR. Dragon Challenge in Hogsmeade, not so much.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Disneyland replaced their track. Disney World patched their track. New trains in Disneyland, as far as I know Disney World's trains weren't replaced.

The video also doesn't mention the on board audio at all which is the biggest differentiator.

Disney PATCHES their track almost every night, Check the outside of the building those big blue boxes are welding power supplies.

jt04

That sucks because the 2009? refurb was supposed to include all new track and all that.

The traditionalists that want only SM circa 1975 had their voices heard big time. Changing it would be like changing the Jungle Cruise into a Tarzan or Jungle Book ride. People will complain endlessly.

Just look to the recent HoP vs Muppet controversy.

Mike S

The traditionalists that want only SM circa 1975 had their voices heard big time. Changing it would be like changing the Jungle Cruise into a Tarzan or Jungle Book ride. People will complain endlessly.

Just look to the recent HoP vs Muppet controversy.
What the...?

RSoxNo1

The reason space mountain is even at DL is because of the success it had in FL.

The only reason Splash Mountain is in Florida is because of the success in California. Splash Mountain in Florida is the better ride. Your point is totally irrelevant.

I disagree. The only thing WDWs version has over Disneylands is the drops. Aside from that its a far more painful mess compared to DLs. I've gotten more beat up on rides on MKs version than even some bigger badder coasters elsewhere in the country.
I think we agree on the end result, the track layout in Florida is better, but the on board audio more than offsets that.

like I said if you'd rode space mountain at it's prime before they screwed up the loading area after the refurb. IMO WDW would still be superior.
Do you honestly think I've only ridden Space Mountain in Florida since the refurb. It was even worse in Florida prior to the refurb, it was made better with off board audio, but then they hurt with the trim breaks. Basically ever since California was rebuilt it has been the superior attraction. Prior to that, Florida was probably better.

Due to the look of MSHI I think Hulk works there. Same with RRR. Dragon Challenge in Hogsmeade, not so much.

Due to the look of Dinorama, Primeval Whirl isn't a problem either. Marvel Super Hero Island looks bad, The Hulk doesn't help. It's a shame because it houses my favorite Universal attraction (Spidey)

Disney PATCHES their track almost every night, Check the outside of the building those big blue boxes are welding power supplies.

And you can feel those welds. Only rougher Disney coaster stateside is The Matterhorn. Meanwhile Space Mountain in Disneyland is unbelievably smooth.

Mike S

Due to the look of Dinorama, Primeval Whirl isn't a problem either. Marvel Super Hero Island looks bad, The Hulk doesn't help. It's a shame because it houses my favorite Universal attraction (Spidey)
I always liked the comic book style of the land. Not nearly as bad as Dinorama.

Brad Bishop

I always liked the comic book style of the land. Not nearly as bad as Dinorama.

The plywood cutouts look bad (Universal) but, in a weird way, they're kind of genius at the same time. These can be seen as cutouts from a comic book but just life-sized. Still.. It's 2D and kind of plywood-looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom