Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike S

Also note that you have:
DHS - 30th in 2019
AK - 20th in 2018
EP - 40th in 2022

They really could have a huge celebrations spanning multiple years to celebrate all of this.
I would hope there's a big celebration. If rumors are true we could be getting SWL in 2019 so there's DHS's 30th covered. I would hope that Epcot wouldn't have to wait till 2022 but you know Disney.

Bocabear

Disneyland's 50th was celebrated in such a huge way across all the parks all over the world... I wonder if WDW will get as much for it's 50th as it did to celebrate Disneyland's 50th. At least by then they won't still be touting Disney Springs as an exciting new addition for the 50th Anniversary... though they actually might...lol

RSoxNo1

Now this is what I call a refurb. to bad disney has yet to give WDW some attention.

There's a few things going on here. The total track replacement is interesting because you don't often see that on a Coaster that is this young. Best guess, they needed to support additional weight with the on board audio.

I still think The Hulk, Dragon Challenge and Rip Ride, Rock It don't belong in the Universal parks, but I certainly welcome this upgrade. It looks to be on par with the upgrade Disneyland did a few years ago to their Space Mountain, making that my favorite version of Space Mountain.

Speedy71

There's a few things going on here. The total track replacement is interesting because you don't often see that on a Coaster that is this young. Best guess, they needed to support additional weight with the on board audio.

I still think The Hulk, Dragon Challenge and Rip Ride, Rock It don't belong in the Universal parks, but I certainly welcome this upgrade. It looks to be on par with the upgrade Disneyland did a few years ago to their Space Mountain, making that my favorite version of Space Mountain.

Agreed. But WDW space mountain will always be my favorite not because it is the original but because I grew up with it. Hopefully they refurb it right.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

The track may have been wearing faster than Uni Engineering liked so a track upgrade while expensive would save money down the road in maintenance expense and support a heavier car at the same time.

Not everyone believes that cutting everything to the bone is a good strategy or that underbuilding an attraction is a good thing so the construction budget looks good but then it becomes a maintenance headache for years down the road. There are some people who still look at the BIG picture and beyond this quarter's bonus pool.

RSoxNo1

Agreed. But WDW space mountain will always be my favorite not because it is the original but because I grew up with it. Hopefully they refurb it right.
You're allowed sentimentality, but Disneyland's version is widely considered the better version.

Bocabear

You're allowed sentimentality, but Disneyland's version is widely considered the better version.
Disneyland got the smaller , not so great version of Space Mountain... Space Mountain at WDW was a thematic marvel when it opened and was always the best example of this ride... Disneyland added onboard audio which I agree makes for a great ride, but overall, Florida really does have the best version... That's Ok because Disneyland got the better version of almost everything else...lol

RSoxNo1

Disneyland got the smaller , not so great version of Space Mountain... Space Mountain at WDW was a thematic marvel when it opened and was always the best example of this ride... Disneyland added onboard audio which I agree makes for a great ride, but overall, Florida really does have the best version... That's Ok because Disneyland got the better version of almost everything else...lol
I find Florida's versions too rough and the effects more dated than Disneyland. However, the biggest differentiator is the onboard audio. Disneyland's version without the audio is definitely inferior to WDW's version, but with it, it's a fantastic attraction.

Bocabear

I find Florida's versions too rough and the effects more dated than Disneyland. However, the biggest differentiator is the onboard audio. Disneyland's version without the audio is definitely inferior to WDW's version, but with it, it's a fantastic attraction.
It was not always rough...when it opened, before the trim breaks were added, it was so smoothe...and the dome effects used to be even better. They really need to invest in getting the track smoothed out a bit, and plussing up all the extremely dated effects... they could easily make this spectacular if they wanted to...
The original queue and exit was amazing... the star port and the home of future living...Such a shame they discarded it and then never fully updated the exit...just a half-assed attempt to freshen it up. They should have all of those animatronics from Horizons somewhere...they would be great to add to the exit ramp scenes...make it futuristic again...

RSoxNo1

I bet some of those people never rode WDW space mountain in it's prime.
Before Disneyland's was upgraded, Florida's was the better version. By your logic, Journey Into Imagination with Figment is a good attraction because the original was good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom