Earfell Tower to be removed

JohnD

LMA did not exist back then. Felt like nothing existed back then, and yet we were suckered into park hopping over out of curiosity. I find it funny that even with all the closures the park will still have more to do than when it opened.
disneymgm1990map.jpg
Okay, so you would have seen it while walking around the backlot.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

The Earful Tower is a clever icon. Whereas, while I love Tower of Terror...I'm not sure it's really representative of whatever the heck DHS is all about.

Whatever, Iger will probably build a new Earful Tower but put Yoda's ears on it. :p
ToT is certainly not an appropriate icon. However, it's only the icon temporarily. Large structures are on the way.

prberk

Okay, so you would have seen it while walking around the backlot.

You toured the backlot on a tram only. You did not walk.

And, as Steve has pointed out above, the tours in the beginning were very in-depth. They were very long and thorough, so they took a good while and covered a lot of material (and land).

Help me remember about the Streets of America in the beginning, also. I know that the views were set up so that the optical illusion worked very well from the tram, but I can't remember if you got out there, or just looked. I think you just looked.

Either way, the park at opening had few attractions, but each was meaty and took time with classic movie things.

note2001

Not really, as the tours were very in-depth when opened.
Hm. Time for a tally...
Opening day, 1989. Attractions were:
The Great Movie Ride
The Backstage Studio Tour
The Magic of Disney Animation Tour
The Monster Sound Show
Superstar Television

Then later they added
August 25, 1989: Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular!
December 15, 1989: Star Tours: The Adventures Continue
December 17, 1990: Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure

Other than some street actors and some cars to pose with, this is what was available to experience with a 4 year old and an 18 year old sister who was bored by tours. Mainly we recall the BLT, dragging a 4 year old boy out of the playground, and him later being scared by the Indiana show.

I am now in a different demographic than when I first went to the park, but I still say the addition of ToT, RnR, Muppetvision, Midway Mania, Little Mermaid show, Fantasmic, BatB, Launch Bay, not to mention meet and greets and DJ dance parties which were not there (and which cannot be included as attractions) greatly outweighs what was there in 1990. The park certainly is not smaller.

It is possible that they are waiting to use the Chinese Theater as the icon until they roll out the new name.
I wonder why Disney hasn't gone with using the Mickey walking atop the globe over the Crossroads kiosk as their icon. Seems simple enough, and encompasses a generalized theme for the park. (Mickey exploring the world of movies -or- Mickey wandering lost, but happy)

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I am now in a different demographic than when I first went to the park, but I still say the addition of ToT, RnR, Little Mermaid show, and BATB, not to mention meet and greets and DJ dance parties which were not there (and which cannot be included as attractions) greatly outweighs what was there in 1990. The park certainly is not smaller.
I would gladly swap any of the current lineup with the exception of ToT for a return of the opening day Studio Tour. But each to their own :)

yensidtlaw1969

ToT is certainly not an appropriate icon. However, it's only the icon temporarily. Large structures are on the way.
Are any of these large structures going to be fit to represent the whole park in its new identity? Because, cool as Star Wars Land looks, I don't know if there's anything there I would want defining the entirety of "Disney's Movie Park", or whatever it will be when the dust starts settling.

JohnD

Are any of these large structures going to be fit to represent the whole park in its new identity? Because, cool as Star Wars Land looks, I don't know if there's anything there I would want defining the entirety of "Disney's Movie Park", or whatever it will be when the dust starts settling.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. The Chinese Theater has represented the park before. It can again now that the BAH has been removed. OTOH, DCA uses the Mickey Mouse Ferris Wheel as it's icon so ToT could continue to be the icon in the to-be-renamed HS. For all we know, it could be the Slinky Dog Coaster.

dgp602

Is there a timetable of when this will be removed? I thought I read somewhere that removal would start with 2 months??

yensidtlaw1969

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. The Chinese Theater has represented the park before. It can again now that the BAH has been removed. OTOH, DCA uses the Mickey Mouse Ferris Wheel as it's icon so ToT could continue to be the icon in the to-be-renamed HS. For all we know, it could be the Slinky Dog Coaster.
Right, I would happily have it be the Chinese Theater again, but MansionButler84 seemed to indicate that something new may be in the works.

On a related note, I believe DCA now acknowledges the Carthay Circle Theater at its official icon.

note2001

I resubmit for your consideration this 'little fellow' standing atop the globe. (Not the entire structure)
sat023198SMALL.jpg

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
The complete original backlot tour was about two hours long! I still remember when my brother and I got picked to do the green screen segment on the Honey I Shrunk the Kids bumblebee during the walking portion of the backlot tour... couple that with the reasonably lengthy Indiana Jones show, the reasonably lengthy Great Movie Ride, and the Magic of Disney Animation tour (which was MUCH longer back then) and you really had a full day of things to see.

I think the problem is that people aren't satisfied anymore going to an amusement park to just see things. I mean, the same thing happened to some extent to many parks including MGM Studios, Animal Kingdom, Sea World Orlando, EPCOT, and Universal Studios Hollywood. I mean, all of those parks opened with very few "rides" and most of the rides that they did open with were either transport rides or rides which took you around to see various "things". All of these parks opened as very "show" heavy parks with lots of neat stuff to see, but had few or no "rides" that moved you in any sort of thrilling or exciting manor. Even at Universal Hollywood, I really think the only reason the studio tour has lasted so long there is because they are adding "thrilling" segments along the way (such as Kong 360 and Fast and the Furious).

I guess we live in a society now where if you want to see something amazing, you just go online to Google or Youtube...

JohnD

Right, I would happily have it be the Chinese Theater again, but MansionButler84 seemed to indicate that something new may be in the works.

On a related note, I believe DCA now acknowledges the Carthay Circle Theater at its official icon.

Re: DCA, the Disneyland website would seem to disagree. On the first two slides, it's the Ferris wheel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom