Earfell Tower to be removed

Goofyernmost

Right, I would happily have it be the Chinese Theater again, but MansionButler84 seemed to indicate that something new may be in the works.

On a related note, I believe DCA now acknowledges the Carthay Circle Theater at its official icon.
It is not now, nor has the Chinese Theater ever been the park Icon. It was, at least in the beginning, the Earful Tower and then the BAH.

Unplugged

It is not now, nor has the Chinese Theater ever been the park Icon. It was, at least in the beginning, the Earful Tower and then the BAH.

I believe that's true and thought that was due to the contract with the owners of the actual Chinese Theater. I thought the deal was that Disney was not allowed to use it as a park icon due to trademarks and branding. I thought it was discussed in these forums a few years back. Anyone remember any facts around this point?

tirian

I believe that's true and thought that was due to the contract with the owners of the actual Chinese Theater. I thought the deal was that Disney was not allowed to use it as a park icon due to trademarks and branding. I thought it was discussed in these forums a few years back. Anyone remember any facts around this point?
That's an Internet myth. The Chinese theatre is not, and never has been, trademarked. However, Disney didn't use it as an icon because it wasn't unique to the park.

The Empress Lilly

The Chinese Theater is not and will not be used as an icon of Studios. It would lead to confusion with the actual landmark in Hollywood.
But using ToT will lead to confusion with Syria.

That's the price one pays for that middle 90's 'pretty is fake, ugly is realism' designing fad of building ruins, test factories, boiler rooms, third world dumps.

boufa

The icon needs to be clean and simple. It needs to look good in photographs, and it needs to be just as recognizable simplified in drawing and embroidery. The other 3 fit that perfectly. The earful tower fit that perfectly, the hat fit that perfectly. I hope that they come up with something else that translates well. Some of the times the ToT has been used, its kinda not obvious what it is, or what the point is.

Next Big Thing

The icon needs to be clean and simple. It needs to look good in photographs, and it needs to be just as recognizable simplified in drawing and embroidery. The other 3 fit that perfectly. The earful tower fit that perfectly, the hat fit that perfectly. I hope that they come up with something else that translates well. Some of the times the ToT has been used, its kinda not obvious what it is, or what the point is.
We don't need another BAH though. It may have been good from a marketing standpoint, but it was a real eyesore.

Like you said, clean and simple.

boufa

We don't need another BAH though. It may have been good from a marketing standpoint, but it was a real eyesore.

Like you said, clean and simple.
Not to spin this into a hat conversation... but I think the hat was ok, sort of. If the hat was built as the icon and it held a iconic location, then it would have been ok. But the hat was forced into an area where it didn't really belong. It blocked views, it just mucked up the place. Had they built the park with the hat in its own place, I think it would have been ok.

I'm very interested to see what might come up icon wise. It might be that each new "land" has its own icon. A giant x-wing, maybe some toy story toys, and the ToT for the "hollywood, it no longer fits, but were keeping it blvd" land.

I went to DL Paris a bunch of years ago (1998), and much has changed since then. It was my very first Magic Kingdom type experience (I had been only to Epcot for 1 day prior to that). The most vivid memory I have of that park was the "life" sized X-Wing fighter. We ate lunch under it, as I recall.

Next Big Thing

Also, everyone keeps saying that the Earfell Tower will be "out of theme" now that Disney is moving away from the working studios theme. I'd argue it's still within theme.

The park is going to focus mainly on Old Hollywood, Pixar Animation Studios, and Lucas Film. Almost everything will be based on film or movie studios in one way or another. A movie studios water tower doesn't really seem horribly out of theme. Although i'd love to see it moved to the park entrance and remain the park icon... of course I know that won't happen, but it'd be cool.

hopemax

Hm. Time for a tally...

Thanks for the list...now I'm just going to add one piece of info from my 1997 Unofficial Guide (oldest I have). This is an exercise I'v been wanting to do for awhile. You all can just ignore me.

Opening day, 1989. Attractions were:
The Great Movie Ride about 19 min
The Backstage Studio Tour 1 hour (15 min tram, 45 min walking) and the original, original was even longer, right?
The Magic of Disney Animation Tour 36 min
The Monster Sound Show 12 min
Superstar Television 30 min

Wikipedia also says there was a show in a theater at the top of what would become Sunset Blvd. May 1-Aug 1989 it as something called Hollywood Hollywood, A Star Studded Spectacular, and then changed to Dick Tracy. YouTube video has Dick Tracy at about 25 min,

Total: 3 hours 2 min

Then later they added
August 25, 1989: Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! 30 min
December 15, 1989: Star Tours: The Adventures Continue about 7 min
December 17, 1990: Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure up to your kids
Total: 37 min
Grand Total: 3 hrs 39 min of "actively experiencing an attraction" time

Post Star Wars Land we'll have, am I missing anything? I pulled additional lengths from Touring Plans

GMR - 19 min
ToT - 4 min ride plus 5 min pre-show
RnRC - 1:30 ride 3 min pre show
Theater of the Stars Show - 25 min
TSMM - 6:30 min
Toy Story Coaster: guessing 3 min
Aliens: 1:30 (mater junkyard jamboree time)
Star Tours: 7 min
New Star Wars 1:
New Star Wars 2:
Jedi Training: 15 min

Total: 1 hr 38 min plus 2 new Star Wars

Plus, I'm assuming these stick around...
Muppets: 17 min
Disney Jr: 25 min
Frozen Show: 25 min
Total: 1 hr 7 min

Grand total: 2hr 45 min plus 2 new Star Wars

Which one was the half day park that needed more things for people to do? Which one will be overwhelmed with people?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom