Anyone else think TDO has lost its way with excessively long build times

bethymouse

Well, to build two huge new lands like Pandora and "Star Wars". it is just such an ambitious project! Looking forward to it, but am not looking forward to the time it will take.:( I may visit WDW, but only MK and EPCOT, perhaps AK, but not DHS ( hopefully will be renamed) until the two new "lands" are completed.

Fox&Hound

I never understand the hate for Mermaid. Who needs a retelling of the entire movie? It's not like Pan or Pooh tell a cohesive story. They give you the best parts. I love NFL and when you view it as an addition to Fantasyland and not some a separate land unto itself, I think it's a winner.

Disney does build slow but I'd rather wait for quality. Uni can pump out ride after ride of "let's get sick looking at screens" but I'll wait for the real thing, thanks! =)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You know, it only took them like 3-4 years to build the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT Center.
Apples and oranges.

Not only were the building on a closed construction site where there was no need to accommodate guest areas, there wan an incentive to move quick as they would start generating additional revenue when the gates open.

A new area like Pandora or FL will make the turnstiles click a little quicker, but nothing on the order of what an entirely new park would do. A new park extends vacations by a day or more which increases resort revenue, food sales, etc.

jaklgreen

I don't think it takes them long to build stuff. I live in a city that closes a 1/2 mile stretch of rode for over a YEAR to widen it by 2 lanes. So Disney taking a couple of years to build a new land is fast in my book.

Stevie Amsterdam

I don't think it takes them long to build stuff. I live in a city that closes a 1/2 mile stretch of rode for over a YEAR to widen it by 2 lanes. So Disney taking a couple of years to build a new land is fast in my book.
Same here; when I moved to Amsterdam 12 years ago the city council approved and started construction on the so called 'North/South Line' - a metro line that connects the north with the south of my city. Originally the budget for the city council was 317M euro (354M usd). It currently stands on 1.4B euro (1.56B usd!!) and is already 4 years past it's original deadline.

I'm very happy with 5 or 6 years to complete Star Wars Land, Toystory Land and subsequently the overhaul of DHS :)

Magenta Panther

Oh i dont understand why some people are on a fan site for discussions and can only be negative. If you dont like Disney than why are you here and if you do like Disney, forgive them and also look at the good stuff, not only the bad or the disappointing ones.

I understand what you're saying. BUT when rides are cut back because the cost to do them right might displease the stockholders, then THAT is something to comment about because THAT isn't "Disney". Walt didn't think about the stockholders when he wanted to build something for the park. He thought about the GUESTS. That's the Disney most of us here love and want to see continued. And unfortunately, we haven't had much to cheer about of late...

POLY LOVER

I understand what you're saying. BUT when rides are cut back because the cost to do them right might displease the stockholders, then THAT is something to comment about because THAT isn't "Disney". Walt didn't think about the stockholders when he wanted to build something for the park. He thought about the GUESTS. That's the Disney most of us here love and want to see continued. And unfortunately, we haven't had much to cheer about of late...

Stockholders before quest will get you every time. Please the guests and the stockholders fall in line.

POLY LOVER

As far as comparing building transit and building a park are two worlds apart.
The legal issues are huge when trying to acquire the land and right of way. The parks are straight construction with no opposition.

Last edited:

POLY LOVER

Same here; when I moved to Amsterdam 12 years ago the city council approved and started construction on the so called 'North/South Line' - a metro line that connects the north with the south of my city. Originally the budget for the city council was 317M euro (354M usd). It currently stands on 1.4B euro (1.56B usd!!) and is already 4 years past it's original deadline.

I'm very happy with 5 or 6 years to complete Star Wars Land, Toystory Land and subsequently the overhaul of DHS :)
I think the question to be asked why are they in this situation. Toy story is years old and your building it now? It should have happened years ago. I,m glad it's happening but they are behind on this. They are going to have to make another movie now.

Nick Wilde

I suppose Disney considers Toy Story to be a classic and therefore timeless. Snow White is from 1937 and 7DMT is enjoyed by many. Little Mermaid is from 1989 and Tokyo build a fantastic themed area in Disney Sea. It works and it will work for Toy Story as well I think.
It was also revolutionary, along with Snow White. Snow White being the first feature length animated film, and Toy Story being the movie that made every animation artist learn how to use a computer or lose their job. AKA, first feature length CGI film.

POLY LOVER

It was also revolutionary, along with Snow White. Snow White being the first feature length animated film, and Toy Story being the movie that made every animation artist learn how to use a computer or lose their job. AKA, first feature length CGI film.

ALL true, but its going to be a rough 3-4 years of contruction heading our way hopefully it will all pay off in the end. Please no cutting corners

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think the question to be asked why are they in this situation. Toy story is years old and your building it now? It should have happened years ago. I,m glad it's happening but they are behind on this. They are going to have to make another movie now.

If you look back at the history of movie themed rides at WDW, there is almost always a huge lag between the movie and the ride especially when they are brand new rides and not re-themes.

Kamikaze

If you look back at the history of movie themed rides at WDW, there is almost always a huge lag between the movie and the ride especially when they are brand new rides and not re-themes.

Because they are too afraid of theming something to a franchise that fails at the box office. Its why SWL is so baffling. If there was ever a sure thing at making a giant pile of money at the box office, its Star Wars.

Remember, however, that Sleeping Beauty Castle was finished nearly four years before Sleeping Beauty was even released.
Disney - but mostly TDO - is just afraid to take risks now. They want to play it safe and keep the steady amount of money rolling in instead of potentially hitting one out of the park but also potentially striking out.

Stevie Amsterdam

I'm not sure if that's entirely true @Kamikaze - how about Pandora, currently being build at AK? Only 1 of 4 movies from the franchise has been released and that was in 2009. I'd say TDO is taking a considerable risk with that one. I trust that it will work out just fine, but in regards to your comments I don't think TDO is too afraid.

Nick Wilde

I'm not sure if that's entirely true @Kamikaze - how about Pandora, currently being build at AK? Only 1 of 4 movies from the franchise has been released and that was in 2009. I'd say TDO is taking a considerable risk with that one. I trust that it will work out just fine, but in regards to your comments I don't think TDO is too afraid.
I see you're relatively new here. If you want to reply to someone's message, press the "reply" button down in the bottom right of the post.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom