Anyone else think TDO has lost its way with excessively long build times

orlando678-

Oh i dont understand why some people are on a fan site for discussions and can only be negative. If you dont like Disney than why are you here and if you do like Disney, forgive them and also look at the good stuff, not only the bad or the disappointing ones.

roj2323

Original Poster
The situation at Disney Springs is a good example of why that kind of schedule is not possible for the parks. They had to close half of Downtown Disney and then totally destroyed the parking situation, creating huge traffic jams prior to completing the new parking structure. There is no way they could do that to one of their theme parks.

The difference here is most of the major projects we are talking about are on the edge of the parks so closing off a section without affecting primary park operations is possible. Unfortunately with disney springs the parking situation combined with the road reconstruction made the project a real mess. For me the star wars project and Toy Story project are both no different than the Diagon alley project over at Universal. Both projects can be worked on during the day and even with keeping the loud work to non park hours the projects are bound to be completed more quickly. The same can be said about Avatarland and so far it has been the case that they are working during the day.

Vegas Disney Fan

Comparing Harry Potter is an apples to oranges comparison to NFL, Carsland, or Pandora. Both Harry Potter lands look amazing but they are essentially city environments with building fronts, the Forbidden Journey is the most intricately themed and even that is only themed on the front corner. NFL, Carsland and Pandora are all themed to the outdoors, that means tons of rockwork, rivers, landscaping, etc. They both look amazing, one just takes longer than the other.

Jon81uk

A lot of it has to do with Disney announcing things far to early. Avatar construction began two years after the announcement, and no date is set for SW or toy story. Uni begins construction fast, sometimes before announcing anything.

I agree, Avatar was announced way way too early. They should have built the new Lion King theatre first, got ready to close Camp Minnie-Mickey and then announced a week before closing the area for construction. That way it would only be three years of construction, which is pretty reasonable for the size of the construction. (Lion King opened in Harambe in 2014).
Universal have just announced Fast & Furious to go on the site of Disaster which is closing in two weeks and will open in 2017, two years construction seems reasonable for a dark ride in a warehouse (so no rock work or planting like Avatar).

and Disney have done the same for Star Wars and Toy Story, demolition hasn't started but the projects are announced years before they will open.

orlando678-

I agree, Avatar was announced way way too early. They should have built the new Lion King theatre first, got ready to close Camp Minnie-Mickey and then announced a week before closing the area for construction. That way it would only be three years of construction, which is pretty reasonable for the size of the construction. (Lion King opened in Harambe in 2014).
Universal have just announced Fast & Furious to go on the site of Disaster which is closing in two weeks and will open in 2017, two years construction seems reasonable for a dark ride in a warehouse (so no rock work or planting like Avatar).

and Disney have done the same for Star Wars and Toy Story, demolition hasn't started but the projects are announced years before they will open.
I agree! Also I wish the Fast and Furious ride would be like radiator springs racers with some scenes that include screens, I mean I would love that sort of ride !

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

As I understand it this was sort of a self defense move. The information had leaked and Disney announced it will before they were ready to beat said leak to the punch.

blueboxdoctor

Well, Avatar land probably will have a complex ride built in it, so that alone will take time. Then they may have ran into design issues that forced them to rethink areas (not sure if true, but I'd imagine it could happen). The whole size of the project is also probably pretty large.

New Fantasyland seemed to take a while on the roller coaster, which probably included some complex engineering (as we're probably all area, these new coasters are a lot more sophisticated than coasters once were, not to mention everything else that goes around the coaster).

But this is all speculation on my part. However, I expect them to probably go a little faster for at least Star Wars land since the movies are all scheduled for the near future and they'll want to capitalize on that. Not sure why Toy Story land isn't a Pixar land, but I'm good with it, though, it'll be interesting to see which gets completed first (not sure if they'd do it or if it's possible/practical, but maybe they could open the new sections in waves as they're completed?).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom