Anyone else think TDO has lost its way with excessively long build times

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
You must be kidding - or are you just refering to the USA parks? How about Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Point in Hong Kong or Place de Remy in Paris?

Even if he just means USA, Cars land, New Fantasyland and so many upcoming projects as Toy Story land, Star Wars Land, Avatar Land

Why would I be referring to the parks outside of Disney World? I'm referring to the reputation that Disney World has, not any of the other parks.

And I said nothing about Toy Story land and Star Wars land.. But even with THAT.. They aren't built yet. So you can't throw that in here until those lands open. The concept for them is great, but will they be what they're made out to be? Probably. I have different expectations for Avatarland, though.

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Universals “speed building” is half due to them only making an official announcement of the plans almost immediately prior to groundbreaking, whereas Disney tends to announce plans a year and a half before construction is set to begin.
A better strategy, in my opinion. Because then the demand for the attractions don't die out over time.

WondersOfLife

And I couldn't disagree with you more. The project came out exactly as the plans (post-Staggs) said it was going to be, and is a beautiful addition to that corner of the MK.

Are you possibly confusing what was promised and what some people expected?

No. From what I recall, 7DMT was supposed to be longer with more dark ride sections... And from what I remember many people were underwhelmed with the Little Mermaid attraction. Storybook Circus was just another land re-theme for like the 3rd time, at least Dumbo managed to work out pretty well. Be Our Guest, Enchanted Times with Belle.. All of the little stuff worked out fine. But it was the two headliner attractions that Disney short-cutted their way out of.

EDIT: Again, I'm not saying I don't love the Fantasyland Expansion. I'm just saying that I was personally underwhelmed with the final project. I went in thinking "Oh.. This is it..?"

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
No. From what I recall, 7DMT was supposed to be longer with more dark ride sections... And from what I remember many people were underwhelmed with the Little Mermaid attraction. Storybook Circus was just another land re-theme for like the 3rd time, at least Dumbo managed to work out pretty well. Be Our Guest, Enchanted Times with Belle.. All of the little stuff worked out fine. But it was the two headliner attractions that Disney short-cutted their way out of.

EDIT: Again, I'm not saying I don't love the Fantasyland Expansion. I'm just saying that I was personally underwhelmed with the final project. I went in thinking "Oh.. This is it..?"
You are confusing what was promised vs what people expected.

The original design/concept of the 7DMT that was longer was for another park (Paris I think). It was adapted and shortened to fit in the space available.

People might have been underwhelmed with Mermaid, but it was not a case of "something great got cut at the last minute", It was simply not that great of a dark ride all the way from design it finished project. It is however miles better than the plywood cut out dark rides that populate FL. If you think that the CG simulation of the Mermaid attraction was what was supposed to go there, again, that was a concept for another park and not what was promised for FL.

Storybook Circus was delivered exactly as advertised. We got an extra Dumbo spinner, a store and a fast pass waiting area vs a queue. Nothing more than that was promised.

Evolution

Yes, they take way too long on their projects. Just because they don't "need" to expand/add new attractions doesn't mean they should take forever when actually doing it. It kills the hype.

And I agree, New Fantasyland is underwhelming, regardless of what was promised. The two headlining attractions are very lackluster.

I don't think Pandora will be disappointing, but I don't think it will be that much of an attendance boost.

rkleinlein

I don't think most Disney World guests care how long construction times for new attractions/lands are as long as the end result meets or exceeds their expectations. We, Disney guests, have very high expectations. I agree with many others that the most recent and much-hyped big expansion, Fantasyland, was a big disappointment since the two headline attractions are nowhere near as good as the other E-ticket attractions in the Magic Kingdom (Peter Pan, Pirates, Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, etc.). And this was especially disappointing considering what Universal just did right down the road. And I understand that there are many people who disagree with this assessment and think Mine Train is fantastic, but we also have to agree that there are also many people who were very disappointed. The Fantasyland expansion was NOT universally praised. And that shouldn't happen. And that's why, I think, people are so apprehensive about future additions and construction times.

MinnieWaffles

Yes, they take way too long on their projects. Just because they don't "need" to expand/add new attractions doesn't mean they should take forever when actually doing it. It kills the hype.

And I agree, New Fantasyland is underwhelming, regardless of what was promised. The two headlining attractions are very lackluster.

I don't think Pandora will be disappointing, but I don't think it will be that much of an attendance boost.

To be fair, this was Fantasyland. A land known for dark rides and little kid pleasers. I certainly wasn't expecting a Forbidden Journey in the middle of the Magic Kingdom, lol.

Pixie VaVoom

I will say this, for me its not worth visiting until some of these projects are done, Disney has become just way to expensive for me to justify going without something new to be seen at all, or just a bunch of dirt being moved all over the place.

Ohhh! Man!! I thought that "Dirt Movin' Land" was one of the recent expansions...I was going to reserve a FASTPASS!!

WondersOfLife

The original design/concept of the 7DMT that was longer was for another park (Paris I think). It was adapted and shortened to fit in the space available.

Storybook Circus was delivered exactly as advertised. We got an extra Dumbo spinner, a store and a fast pass waiting area vs a queue. Nothing more than that was promised.

Can you refer me to somewhere that says that 7DMT was supposed to be longer and the version built only for another park?

POLY LOVER

Flash back the the years prior to Potter. US/IOA was in a near attendance free fall. They had to come up with something big or what we now see at US/IOA was going to become City Walk with a bunch of condos around it.

When they landed Potter, they needed to act and act quick. So they designed and built as fast as possible, because it was, dare I say, essential for the parks very survival to do so.

Now go down the street to WDW. Their 4 parks rank 1, 2, 3 and 4 in the central Florida area for attendance. In the world they are all in the top 8 with MK ranking #1 in the world. There simply is no need or motivation to rush things. It looks much better on the books and to those on Wall St to spread costs out over as many quarters as possible. You also don't get stuck paying overtime, material and labor premiums, etc.

I dare to say this might just be for their survival. Don't laugh if they underwhelm and spend all that money and take all that time to do it and it flops, they are in deep stuff.
I would look at this as a survival for the next 10 project. if they flop then they will be stagnant project wise and unable to respond to UNI's next move. A world of trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just hope they take this darn serious and make sure it impresses.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I dare to say this might just be for their survival. Don't laugh if they underwhelm and spend all that money and take all that time to do it and it flops, they are in deep stuff.
I would look at this as a survival for the next 10 project.
Not hardly. Disney is doing just fine. As long at the attractions are good, the success or failure of the Avatar sequels will be irrelevant.

BJones82

I don't think most Disney World guests care how long construction times for new attractions/lands are as long as the end result meets or exceeds their expectations. We, Disney guests, have very high expectations. I agree with many others that the most recent and much-hyped big expansion, Fantasyland, was a big disappointment since the two headline attractions are nowhere near as good as the other E-ticket attractions in the Magic Kingdom (Peter Pan, Pirates, Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, etc.). And this was especially disappointing considering what Universal just did right down the road. And I understand that there are many people who disagree with this assessment and think Mine Train is fantastic, but we also have to agree that there are also many people who were very disappointed. The Fantasyland expansion was NOT universally praised. And that shouldn't happen. And that's why, I think, people are so apprehensive about future additions and construction times.

This, the number of people visiting WDW yearly or even bi-yearly I would imagine is not large enough to make WDW feel they need to change things yearly. If they did you would see more changes like you do in DL... This is just my opinion and is not based on facts lol...

POLY LOVER

This, the number of people visiting WDW yearly or even bi-yearly I would imagine is not large enough to make WDW feel they need to change things yearly. If they did you would see more changes like you do in DL... This is just my opinion and is not based on facts lol...

folks have to stop pointing to the number of current guest visitng the parks, of course it's a measure of success BUT that changes on a dime. If you kid yourself into looking at the attendance and feel you don't need to do anything you are wrong. How many ball teams HAD a history of sell outs then went into the tank when their product went bad(eg. baltimore, Philadelphia) rest on your laurels and you will be OOB. You have to strive for continuous improvement. These next projects MUST impress or they will become number 2 to UNI mark my words. I do disagree about the mine train ride, I think it is good.

BJones82

folks have to stop pointing to the number of current guest visitng the parks, of course it's a measure of success BUT that changes on a dime. How many ball teams HAD a history of sell outs then went into the tank when their product went bad(eg. baltimore, Philadelphia) rest on your laurels and you will be OOB. You have to strive for continous improvement. These next projects MUST impress or they will become number 2 to UNI mark my words.

Except I was pointing to the number of yearly repeat guests not the whole number of guests. Meaning that WDW relies more on people who visit infrequently than frequently. I also pointed out this is my opinion lol........... I wasn't arguing,"But Disney still has more guests than anyone else..." I was saying in my opinion they are not as pressured as other parks to change quickly because most of there guests don't come yearly... How can you get mad at that opinion? Do you have any facts to prove my opinion wrong? Do you have something showing that more people visit WDW yearly or more than people who don't?....

POLY LOVER

Except I was pointing to the number of yearly repeat guests not the whole number of guests. Meaning that WDW relies more on people who visit infrequently than frequently. I also pointed out this is my opinion lol........... I wasn't arguing,"But Disney still has more guests than anyone else..." I was saying in my opinion they are not as pressured as other parks to change quickly because most of there guests don't come yearly... How can you get mad at that opinion? Do you have any facts to prove my opinion wrong? Do you have something showing that more people visit WDW yearly or more than people who don't?....

noones mad just making a point and I respect your opinion.

Monorail_Red_77

People might have been underwhelmed with Mermaid, but it was not a case of "something great got cut at the last minute", It was simply not that great of a dark ride all the way from design it finished project. It is however miles better than the plywood cut out dark rides that populate FL. If you think that the CG simulation of the Mermaid attraction was what was supposed to go there, again, that was a concept for another park and not what was promised for FL.

I recently rode Mermaid since the black light upgrades like DL received. It makes the ride much better in my opinion

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom