Anyone else think TDO has lost its way with excessively long build times

roj2323

Original Poster
With Pandora—The World of Avatar (Avatarland) We have a 6 year gap from announcement to the advertised opening. With Fantasyland 2 we had a 5 year gap from announcement to "done".
This is becoming a pattern and I worry that disney has fallen by the wayside when Universal seems to be spitting out Huge projects every year or two. What are your thoughts on this and do you think the problem is /will be addressed with Toy Story land and Star Wars Land?

I did want to take a second to point out that Disney springs has been the rare exception to this "delay" issue. The speed in which that project is being built is astonishing.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You have two similar companies in incredibly different situations. It would follow that their expansion plans would be just as different.

Building fast is expensive. You only do it when you have to. In spite of what we might want, Disney has no reason to spend the extra money and take the additional hit on Wall St to build at break neck speed. Their attendance is fine (it is too high in the case of MK) and it is much better to spread the cost across as many years as possible.

roj2323

Original Poster
You have two similar companies in incredibly different situations. It would follow that their expansion plans would be just as different.

Building fast is expensive. You only do it when you have to. In spite of what we might want, Disney has no reason to spend the extra money and take the additional hit on Wall St to build at break neck speed. Their attendance is fine (it is too high in the case of MK) and it is much better to spread the cost across as many years as possible.

How are the two situations really different though? It's not that I don't believe you but I want to understand.

seafoodbuffet

With Pandora—The World of Avatar (Avatarland) We have a 6 year gap from announcement to the advertised opening. With Fantasyland 2 we had a 5 year gap from announcement to "done".
This is becoming a pattern and I worry that disney has fallen by the wayside when Universal seems to be spitting out Huge projects every year or two. What are your thoughts on this and do you think the problem is /will be addressed with Toy Story land and Star Wars Land?

I did want to take a second to point out that Disney springs has been the rare exception to this "delay" issue. The speed in which that project is being built is astonishing.

While like you, I am frustrated by how long it takes for things to build, please keep some perspective compared to "the good old days". Disneyland Park used to be closed Monday/Tuesday in the off season and had less operating hours even in peak season. A lot of the speed of construction depends on being able to bring heavy equipment to the areas where construction needs to happen and unfortunately, with the parks operating at such a frantic pace (close at 2am, open by 8am the next day), there physically isn't always enough time to actually do all of the work you'd need. Similarly, I'd be furious if I kept hearing loud noises while enjoying the park during the day. Look at Shanghai's Disneyland, they will construct all of it in about 5 years time because no guests are there to impede their progress.

In some ways, the parks' popularity has gotten the best of them.

wdwfan4ver

I think they did to a point, but Avatar was a whole different animal. The Amount of time is caused by Disney announcing a land without attractions being agreed upon or what the attractions will be for that matter. Nothing really was agreed upon for amount of attractions before 2013 and Disney was jumping the gun for announce Avatar in 2011.

What happened to FLE was Disney changed what was going to constructed during construction. Staggs was not in charge of the Disney Parks and resorts division when FLE was announced. Staggs didn't like how it was and changed the plan of Pixie Hallow for the Mine Train instead. The Mine Train caused the project to take long than it should have. If Disney Announced the Mine Train at the 2009 D23, FLE would have been done in 2013, not 2014.

I don't think the long delays will happen with Toy Story land due to the fact there already is concept art unlike Avatar back in 2011. The only concern is if Disney is going to add attraction to the land during construction.The amount of time for construction for Toy Story Land should be less than FLE and Avatar due to Toy Story Midway Mania is already built. The only change to TSMM is going to be the entrance.

The other thing is the Alien attraction For Toy Story Land isn't going to take as long to be built compare to the coaster that is being planned.

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
How are the two situations really different though? It's not that I don't believe you but I want to understand.
Flash back the the years prior to Potter. US/IOA was in a near attendance free fall. They had to come up with something big or what we now see at US/IOA was going to become City Walk with a bunch of condos around it.

When they landed Potter, they needed to act and act quick. So they designed and built as fast as possible, because it was, dare I say, essential for the parks very survival to do so.

Now go down the street to WDW. Their 4 parks rank 1, 2, 3 and 4 in the central Florida area for attendance. In the world they are all in the top 8 with MK ranking #1 in the world. There simply is no need or motivation to rush things. It looks much better on the books and to those on Wall St to spread costs out over as many quarters as possible. You also don't get stuck paying overtime, material and labor premiums, etc.

JIMINYCR

Yes its frustrating when somethings announced and it takes forever to reach completion. The anticipation of finally getting to see it completed and in action is a killer. But I'd rather see them take their time, get it done properly, maybe tweak the design a little to make it better, than see it rushed just to get it in under our deadline. I know I'll eventually see it once its done... thats all I care about.

Bluewaves

I will say this, for me its not worth visiting until some of these projects are done, Disney has become just way to expensive for me to justify going without something new to be seen at all, or just a bunch of dirt being moved all over the place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom