Major 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment Watch/Rumor.

GrumpyFan

I just find it hard to believe they ever put those boats in the water.
Did they just order a new fleet and decide to drop them in?
Did they do any testing with just one prior to ordering them all?
The issues we've seen with them surely would have shown up in testing with a full load of test bodies, so it gives the appearance that they did very little if any testing on them.

CheekBoys

I just find it hard to believe they ever put those boats in the water.
Did they just order a new fleet and decide to drop them in?
Did they do any testing with just one prior to ordering them all?
The issues we've seen with them surely would have shown up in testing with a full load of test bodies, so it gives the appearance that they did very little if any testing on them.
What is exactly wrong with the boats?

CheekBoys

Have you read any of this thread or did you just show up like a US Senator?
I have read most of the posts here but I still don't understand what is wrong with the boats themselves. I understand that water piles up in them and it could be dangerous but is that because of the ride, or the boats?

PREMiERdrum

As far as I understand, the new boats are too heavy and difficult to balance, causing them to sit too deeply in the trough and take on water throughout the course. This leads to them creating a much larger splash at the bottom of the drop, and more prone to becoming stuck and needing to be pushed along or fully evac'd by cast members.

CheekBoys

As far as I understand, the new boats are too heavy and difficult to balance, causing them to sit too deeply in the trough and take on water throughout the course. This leads to them creating a much larger splash at the bottom of the drop, and more prone to becoming stuck and needing to be pushed along or fully evac'd by cast members.
Ohhh ok, that is a much better explanation than the other guy. Thanks!

GrumpyFan

A safety issue has arisen, that somehow has gone unnoticed and without incident for more than 30 years. Last summer, a guest who had his hand outside of the boat lost tips of his ring and pinky fingers as the then-recently installed new boats rubbed against the older ride track. I'm not sure if this was necessarily related to the new boats, and something that wasn't possible on the old ones, or it was just a foolish guest not following the safety instructions. As a result, guests were not permitted to sit in the last row of the Pirates of the Caribbean boats on either coast as Disney investigated the issues. Allegedly, they will be addressing this as well as other possible safety concerns.

Beyond the safety issue, the new boats have been plagued with many problems, including taking on water, getting stuck, and severe damage due to scraping the rails and bottom while floating along the ride-path. Guests have complained about getting much wetter on the ride than in years past, as the boats roughly passed through the turn in the track following the drop. Water seems to come into the floor of some boats as well (from behind?), making for wet feet/shoes, adding another potential safety issue upon exiting.

Last edited:

JediMasterMatt

Square peg, meet round hole.

The new fleet of boats are the same as what was created as replacements for and being used on the original attraction in Anaheim. Even in Anaheim, they aren't a perfect replacement as the new boats aren't as buoyant as the old fiberglass ones, so they sit lower in the water and the bow of the boat is more steep.

One Disney brainchild thought it would be a good idea to save costs in Orlando to use the boats engineered for Anaheim, so they were hastily put into service at MK.

At the MK, the main issue is the drop. At DLR, the entrance to the drops and runoff from them aren't as steep as MK. The boats come down into the water, the bow plows into it, the boat decelerates much more rapidly as the water tries to displace, so it creates a wave, the wave washes over the bow and dumps a bunch of water into the boat, the boat then sits even deeper into the trough and adds more weight, compounding the problem the next time it cycles through.

Oh, and the new boats are structurally not as sound as the old ones... which when you combine with the extra weight from the splash... you end up with the need to rework the attraction. Especially when the chassis is being flexed as it enters and exits the drop and even on the lift at the end.

At a minimum, the drop and runoff will need to be reworked to keep using the current fleet of boats.

Prince Thomas

wow!!! an itelligent respectful answer....thanks bud! i appreciate it!!!

chiefs11

I thought the story (as i read it on here somewhere) was that the boats were designed for DL, but failed in testing there. So DL had them redesigned or fixed and new boats made. Then WDW was like: Hey! Free Boats!

Also...I can't imagine why they would redesign the drop or anything to do with the flume when the problem could be solved by just getting rid of the defective boats and getting proper ones made.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom