Major 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment Watch/Rumor.

NearTheEars

As has been stated many times before, people within the company cannot LEGALLY write you out a laundry list of serious safety issues within an attraction. All anybody is doing is trying to contribute to the conversation with information related to the subject at hand in whatever way they are allowed to do. All you are doing is arguing and essentially calling people liars becayse they won't break company policy and give you specifics. I'm not trying to fight or anything, but I don't see what your angle is here.

Don't ignore history. Unfortunately, Disney's track record of safety sometimes boils down to sheer luck that nothing has gone wrong. A few attractions are in terrible condition, often to the point of presenting potential serious safety issues to guests and Cast Members. You should have seen the condition Space Mountain was in before the refurb.

How is it illegal to report a major issue that directly effects the immediate safety of human beings. What court is going to punish this?

lazyboy97o

How is it illegal to report a major issue that directly effects the immediate safety of human beings. What court is going to punish this?
Because at this point the attraction is still deemed technically safe. Disney was aware of Space Mountain's failure for some time and it was still considered safe to operate just hours before it was finally deemed unsafe. Disney would argue that they have experts aware of and monitoring all safety concerns. Without an incident or clear violation it would be hard to prove what is still ultimately a hypothetical.

NearTheEars

Because at this point the attraction is still deemed technically safe. Disney was aware of Space Mountain's failure for some time and it was still considered safe to operate just hours before it was finally deemed unsafe. Disney would argue that they have experts aware of and monitoring all safety concerns. Without an incident or clear violation it would be hard to prove what is still ultimately a hypothetical.

i believe this case is different because the former CM has assured us that he or she has seen the ride fail multiple times in a clearly unsafe manner. So much so that he or she has left the company.

If that is true, then upon inspection by the proper authorities, the safety issue would become clearly apparent, and they would (hypothetically) deem the attraction unsafe.

That's why I think it is immediately necessary to alert the proper people that there is a major safety issue with the ride. This forum isn't among the proper channels. So he or she owes us no details.

GrumpyFan

As has been stated many times before, people within the company cannot LEGALLY write you out a laundry list of serious safety issues within an attraction. All anybody is doing is trying to contribute to the conversation with information related to the subject at hand in whatever way they are allowed to do. All you are doing is arguing and essentially calling people liars becayse they won't break company policy and give you specifics. I'm not trying to fight or anything, but I don't see what your angle is here.

No angle, and I'm really not trying to be argumentative. I've followed Disney and the theme park industry and their safety records for years, and based on the number of guests and CMs that Disney employees, their safety record is still better than smaller parks with fewer employees and who see far fewer guests. Still, I get that Disney has had numerous incidents over the years, I've read about them, I know some of which have been related to poor maintenance and/or neglected safety processes. I have no doubt that there are issues, some of which are probably safety related, and should be addressed by Disney, I'll even concede that there are probably issues that are dangerous for guests and/or CMs.

The thing that is sticking in my craw though is that several people have stated that these are serious in nature and potentially endanger guests and CMs lives, but will anyone take the next step and report it OSHA or others instead of running off at the mouth here in vague context? All it takes is an anonymous call or message. So far, I haven't read ANY comments by ANYONE who has even reported these supposed issues to their immediate supervisor. OSHA and Florida Department of Agriculture, who oversees theme park safety in Florida, takes these kind of things seriously. Personally, I take these kind of things seriously as well, and I'm not afraid to call out unsafe or dangerous actions when I see them, going so far as to tell other guests to stop what they're doing and informing people in authority. When somebody PMs me or I see a comment by someone saying they've reported this somewhere other than here, I'll stop with my argumentative comments. If it's as serious as you say, then report it before somebody gets hurt or worse, else that makes you just as guilty as Disney in not doing anything about it.

GrumpyFan

That's why I think it is immediately necessary to alert the proper people that there is a major safety issue with the ride. This forum isn't among the proper channels. So he or she owes us no details.

Of course he doesn't "owe us", but I would feel safer at least knowing that he did report it. Then I'll back off calling his statements B-S!

Tom

Beta Return
No angle, and I'm really not trying to be argumentative. I've followed Disney and the theme park industry and their safety records for years, and based on the number of guests and CMs that Disney employees, their safety record is still better than smaller parks with fewer employees and who see far fewer guests. Still, I get that Disney has had numerous incidents over the years, I've read about them, I know some of which have been related to poor maintenance and/or neglected safety processes. I have no doubt that there are issues, some of which are probably safety related, and should be addressed by Disney, I'll even concede that there are probably issues that are dangerous for guests and/or CMs.

The thing that is sticking in my craw though is that several people have stated that these are serious in nature and potentially endanger guests and CMs lives, but will anyone take the next step and report it OSHA or others instead of running off at the mouth here in vague context? All it takes is an anonymous call or message. So far, I haven't read ANY comments by ANYONE who has even reported these supposed issues to their immediate supervisor. OSHA and Florida Department of Agriculture, who oversees theme park safety in Florida, takes these kind of things seriously. Personally, I take these kind of things seriously as well, and I'm not afraid to call out unsafe or dangerous actions when I see them, going so far as to tell other guests to stop what they're doing and informing people in authority. When somebody PMs me or I see a comment by someone saying they've reported this somewhere other than here, I'll stop with my argumentative comments. If it's as serious as you say, then report it before somebody gets hurt or worse, else that makes you just as guilty as Disney in not doing anything about it.

I agree. And contrary to what anyone says, you can't get in trouble for reporting a safety violation to OSHA. There are "whistle blower" laws that prevent harassment or unjust termination because of reporting a violation - plus, you remain anonymous if you request that of OSHA when you call.

If there are serious safety concerns, they should be reported to management, and if they don't do anything, you go to OSHA.

Grumpy1973

Am I the only one who has set a reminder on my phone to ask this guy on 8/25/2019 what the hell he has seen at unload that's so classified and scary!? I think I'll start a new thread that will rival the "BAH" thread for pages and views.
Someone mentioned "how long could it take to get one doll moving again", I assume they were talking about the upkeep at IASW. I have noticed this for a loooong time as well, how long was the surfer missing years ago? Quite awhile.. And the line of hula girls on your right just past the "rain" scene there is ALWAYS a girl missing, and not for just days.. Usually missing for MONTHS or sadly years. And my 5 year old daughter tells me every time we ride lately "daddy the sun still isn't moving", she's 5 and she notices this lol! How hard could it be with the resources WDW has to repair a basic animatronic and to repair a spinning sun? Back on topic the new Pirate boats look like something that belongs in a traveling carnival type ride, so cheap and flimsy looking, surprised they haven't sunk any yet..

Castle Cake Apologist

Funny, I don't remember saying anything even close to that. Unless niche message boards are suddenly a government agency. I simply stated that he cannot get into specifics on this website without legal repercussions. As stated earlier, we sign non disclosure agreements that are pretty binding.

We regularly report issues to upper management and maintenance and regularly see no action taken, and that's really all I can say about that. Whether we report issues to OSHA or not, I doubt any of us are going to put it out there on the internet that we did. Despite "protections" in place for such situations, there's still a culture in place within the company (and many other companies) that makes reporting issues not something to brag about.

Once again, nobody owes anybody on here any sort of explanation for anything that has been said. A better response to what the poster stated might be "I see that you worked on the attraction and might have more information about backstage issues than I do. Thank you for sharing this information as it relates to the topic at hand. I understand your reluctance to share further information and I respect your desire to not breach your non disclosure agreement." But, maybe that's just me.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Once again, nobody owes anybody on here any sort of explanation for anything that has been said. A better red ponse to what the poster stated might be "I see that you worked on the attraction and might be more educated about backstage issues than I am. Thank you for sharing this information as it relates to the topic at hand. I understand your relevance to share further information and I respect your desire to not breach your non disclosure agreement." But, maybe that's just me.
No, it isn't a better response to a negative uninformative scare tactic. If someone yells wolf and doesn't tell you where the wolf is, all you get is wolf lunch. And that's not to mention the fact that everyone's definition of scary dangerous is different. Some folks have spent a charmed life and feel that a little bit of water on the platform is a terminal situation. Others have seen a tougher side of life and don't even consider it to be anything other then a little water on the platform. If you go on a public forum like this one and make a big deal about all the massively scary danger that the ride is continuously exposing the public too, without giving anyone even the slightest idea what you are talking about you've accomplished nothing positive and have just sent a wave of fear into the minds of people that may not be justified. And even if it were justified, you've given no indication of what the danger is so that the person can be alerted to the dangers and possibly be able to avoid them.

So this is where the responsibility of those in the know falls. If the danger isn't severe enough to notify regulatory agencies of them, and coming on a discussion forum with little or no information other then a foreboding, top secret, warning about who knows what, then that is just wrong. If you have information of a serious nature report it to the authorities, don't just come on here and try to impress people with inside knowledge that you are unwilling to share. It's my personal being that is being threatened here and I am not in the mood for clandestine game playing.

PS... the use of the word "you" is generic and applies to anyone, but, no one specifically. Where the shoe fits only!

NearTheEars

Funny, I don't remember saying anything even close to that. Unless niche message boards are suddenly a government agency. I simply stated that he cannot get into specifics on this website without legal repercussions. As stated earlier, we sign non disclosure agreements that are pretty binding.

We regularly report issues to upper management and maintenance and regularly see no action taken, and that's really all I can say about that. Whether we report issues to OSHA or not, I doubt any of us are going to put it out there on the internet that we did. Despite "protections" in place for such situations, there's still a culture in place within the company (and many other companies) that makes reporting issues not something to brag about.

Once again, nobody owes anybody on here any sort of explanation for anything that has been said. A better response to what the poster stated might be "I see that you worked on the attraction and might have more information about backstage issues than I do. Thank you for sharing this information as it relates to the topic at hand. I understand your reluctance to share further information and I respect your desire to not breach your non disclosurer agreement." But, maybe that's just me.

With respect, everything you just posted is 100% my point. And I've posted in every reply that the proper authorities need to be alerted of this safety issue, not this message board. That's why I've said repeatedly that's he owes us no information. From my understanding of the OP ( which could be wrong) he or she has not reported this to anyone with authority outside of TWDC. I just hope someone will since he or she says this safety issue is dangerous.

I'm not sure what the issue is. We are saying the same things.

Castle Cake Apologist

With respect, everything you just posted is 100% my point. And I've posted in every reply that the proper authorities need to be alerted of this safety issue, not this message board. That's why I've said repeatedly that's he owes us no information. From my understanding of the OP ( which could be wrong) he or she has not reported this to anyone with authority outside of TWDC. I just hope someone will since he or she says this safety issue is dangerous.

I'm not sure what the issue is. We are saying the same things.

Sorry for any confusion there, the only part of my post that was technically directed towards you was the first paragraph. I was responding to your post indicating that I had somewhere implied that reporting safety issues to the PROPER people was illegal.

Somebody earlier hit the nail on the head though. Disney has ways of making unsafe situations "go away" when the regulatory agencies poke around. More often than not at WDW, something has to go (often terribly) wrong before OSHA decides to care. It's sad but it is what it is.

betty rose

Sorry for any confusion there, the only part of my post that was technically directed towards you was the first paragraph. I was responding to your post indicating that I had somewhere implied that reporting safety issues to the PROPER people was illegal.

Somebody earlier hit the nail on the head though. Disney has ways of making unsafe situations "go away" when the regulatory agencies poke around. More often than not at WDW, something has to go (often terribly) wrong before OSHA decides to care. It's sad but it is what it is.
I hope ,"under new management", they hire back all maintenance persons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom