FYI - OCSO Running Radar in Parking Lots

RayTheFirefly

In the aisles where the cars are parked then 20 is too fast, especially in a tourist area where there are a ton of kids. Now the side roads that you use to get in and out of a parking lot then 20-25 is fine. I really don't think that and extra 5mph faster is going to make that big of a difference on your time getting out of the parking lot. How much are you going to be delayed if you hit someone.
I see your point, but I really don't think 25-30 means reckless driving/accidents. When you're moving a ton of cars through a road, 5-10 mph makes a huge difference.

boufa

IF (and I'll admit I don't know) IF the parking lots and roads are owned by Reedy Creek and NOT officially by Disney, then they are NOT private property, and are public property.

We have several parking lots in my area that are owned by the city, and leased to private companies. The police enforce quite a bit on those lots, and the tickets so far as I know stick.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
IF (and I'll admit I don't know) IF the parking lots and roads are owned by Reedy Creek and NOT officially by Disney, then they are NOT private property, and are public property.

We have several parking lots in my area that are owned by the city, and leased to private companies. The police enforce quite a bit on those lots, and the tickets so far as I know stick.

It doesn't matter whether it's private property or public property. The governmental agency that administers the area, contracts with orange county sheriffs offices.

Either way, if you drive like an idiot on property, you're going to get a ticket just like everyone else.

Thankfully we haven't had any incidents like the dragracing Fatality we had on Hotel Plaza Boulevard back in 2004…

DisUniversal

It doesn't matter whether it's private property or public property. The governmental agency that administers the area, contracts with orange county sheriffs offices.

Either way, if you drive like an idiot on property, you're going to get a ticket just like everyone else.

Thankfully we haven't had any incidents like the dragracing Fatality we had on Hotel Plaza Boulevard back in 2004…
Does Disney get a cut of revenues from tickets issued? If so, maybe they're just testing a new way to get more money out of their customers.

s8film40

The parking lots are owned by Disney. OCSO would need the written agreement with Disney not Reedy Creek as Reedy Creek would not have the authority to make that decision for the landowner (Disney). Alternatively OCSO does not need a written agreement from RCID since all roads owned by RCID are considered public roads.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It doesn't matter whether it's private property or public property

Actually it does...

The governmental agency that administers the area, contracts with orange county sheriffs offices.

While your last statement is true - that isn't really what matters.

Just because your local city contracts to the county or state for police enforcement - it does not change the laws the police can enforce or where the laws apply. What you highlight is simply an issue of jurisdiction. The real question is.. what laws apply.

The legality that matters is "can speed limits posted on private property be enforced under state traffic laws"

This is answered by the state law under 0316.640 (2)(a) State Uniform Traffic Control
(2) COUNTIES.—
(a) The sheriff’s office of each of the several counties of this state shall enforce all of the traffic laws of this state on all the streets and highways thereof and elsewhere throughout the county wherever the public has the right to travel by motor vehicle. In addition, the sheriff’s office may be required by the county to enforce the traffic laws of this state on any private or limited access road or roads over which the county has jurisdiction pursuant to a written agreement entered into under s. 316.006(3)(b).

The bolded part is the part of debate and where things are arguable about where the police can enforce the traffic laws by statute. It does not make the case black and white when it comes to a parking lot vs an access road in a lot, etc. Why? Those lots at Disney are behind access controlled gates. How can you argue the public has a right to travel on it, if it's restricted access?

But the last part, '...pursuant to a written agreement entered...' is probably what applies to most roads that would be Disney owned vs county. The agreement can not be just any 'please enforce the law for us' agreement, but an agreement that includes financial terms to offset the public's burden.

From 316.006(3)(b)
(b) A municipality may exercise jurisdiction over any private road or roads, or over any limited access road or roads owned or controlled by a special district, located within its boundaries if the municipality and party or parties owning or controlling such road or roads provide, by written agreement approved by the governing body of the municipality, for municipal traffic control jurisdiction over the road or roads encompassed by such agreement. Pursuant thereto:
1. Provision for reimbursement for actual costs of traffic control and enforcement and for liability insurance and indemnification by the party or parties, and such other terms as are mutually agreeable, may be included in such an agreement.
2. The exercise of jurisdiction provided for herein shall be in addition to jurisdictional authority presently exercised by municipalities under law, and nothing in this paragraph shall be construed to limit or remove any such jurisdictional authority. Such jurisdiction includes regulation of access to such road or roads by security devices or personnel.
3. Any such agreement may provide for the installation of multiparty stop signs by the parties controlling the roads covered by the agreement if a determination is made by such parties that the signage will enhance traffic safety. Multiparty stop signs must conform to the manual and specifications of the Department of Transportation; however, minimum traffic volumes may not be required for the installation of such signage. Enforcement for the signs shall be as provided in s.316.123.
4. The board of directors of a homeowners’ association as defined in chapter 720 may, by majority vote, elect to have state traffic laws enforced by local law enforcement agencies on private roads that are controlled by the association.

It is more than likely this type of arrangement that exists between DISNEY and the Counties when it comes to roads owned and maintained by Disney. (wouldn't be with Reedy Creek as they don't have any police to contract with)

Any county owned roads would already be covered by the county and county police would have the right to enforce traffic laws given the 0316.640 (2)(a) '...right to travel..'. Any roads owned by Reedy Creek would be public access anyway.. so again, already covered by the county.

If I were ticketed behind the toll plazas - I'd fight to ensure there was a legal agreement pursuant to the requirements above between Disney and the County that covered the parking lots because those are not open to public access.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Or you could just follow the posted speed limit and then you won't have to fight it.

or you could have just skipped the obvious and saved us all from having to click past your post. But thanks Captain Obvious... my safe driving skills, will continue to be, safe driving skills.

Jeffxz

Here is a sample agreement I found between the city of Orlando and a private home owners association:

http://edocs.ci.orlando.fl.us/asv/paperlessagenda.nsf/6acecff5f30ecb0d85256bd0005abae0/56d6014c9caf50ff85257a2100576f40/$FILE/Cypress Fairway Condo Traffic Control Agr.0001.pdf

Here is the relevant section:
3. Signage. Community shall establish the speed limit for the Private Roads and shall be responsible for posting the speed limit by appropriate signage along said roads. Such signage must comply with Department of Transportation requirements prior to any enforcement action. The City shall enforce the speed limits consistent with Section 316.183, Florida Statutes.

From 316.183(2):
(2) On all streets or highways, the maximum speed limits for all vehicles must be 30 miles per hour in business or residence districts, and 55 miles per hour at any time at all other locations. However, with respect to a residence district, a county or municipality may set a maximum speed limit of 20 or 25 miles per hour on local streets and highways after an investigation determines that such a limit is reasonable. It is not necessary to conduct a separate investigation for each residence district.

This would seem to me to indicate that even though a private property owner may set a speed limit below 30mph (or 55mph if not considered a business or residence district), the enforcement would only apply to the state speed limit and not the limit set by the property owner.

Can one of our resident lawyers comment on this?

peter11435

or you could have just skipped the obvious and saved us all from having to click past your post. But thanks Captain Obvious... my safe driving skills, will continue to be, safe driving skills.

Nothing was obvious. Pointing out how you are going to fight a speeding ticket should you get one certainly doesn't imply intent to avoid said speeding ticket.

I'm glad you practice safe driving however not everyone does. My comment was not specifically directed at you but rather everyone. People need to understand that the easiest and safest method to avoid getting ticketed is to practice safe driving and follow the rules of the road. Not just hoping to avoid getting caught and thinking you have a loophole to aid you when you do.

RayTheFirefly

You colonials drive like fannies, in vehicles with no cornering abilities.

Your ability to patronise remains surpassed only by your condescension toward fellow citizens. Well done.
nJ9R44d.gif

5IgKoZe.gif

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Actually it does...

While your last statement is true - that isn't really what matters.

Just because your local city contracts to the county or state for police enforcement - it does not change the laws the police can enforce or where the laws apply. What you highlight is simply an issue of jurisdiction. The real question is.. what laws apply.

The legality that matters is "can speed limits posted on private property be enforced under state traffic laws"

This is answered by the state law under 0316.640 (2)(a) State Uniform Traffic Control
(2) COUNTIES.—
(a) The sheriff’s office of each of the several counties of this state shall enforce all of the traffic laws of this state on all the streets and highways thereof and elsewhere throughout the county wherever the public has the right to travel by motor vehicle. In addition, the sheriff’s office may be required by the county to enforce the traffic laws of this state on any private or limited access road or roads over which the county has jurisdiction pursuant to a written agreement entered into under s. 316.006(3)(b).

The bolded part is the part of debate and where things are arguable about where the police can enforce the traffic laws by statute. It does not make the case black and white when it comes to a parking lot vs an access road in a lot, etc. Why? Those lots at Disney are behind access controlled gates. How can you argue the public has a right to travel on it, if it's restricted access?

But the last part, '...pursuant to a written agreement entered...' is probably what applies to most roads that would be Disney owned vs county. The agreement can not be just any 'please enforce the law for us' agreement, but an agreement that includes financial terms to offset the public's burden.

From 316.006(3)(b)
(b) A municipality may exercise jurisdiction over any private road or roads, or over any limited access road or roads owned or controlled by a special district, located within its boundaries if the municipality and party or parties owning or controlling such road or roads provide, by written agreement approved by the governing body of the municipality, for municipal traffic control jurisdiction over the road or roads encompassed by such agreement. Pursuant thereto:
1. Provision for reimbursement for actual costs of traffic control and enforcement and for liability insurance and indemnification by the party or parties, and such other terms as are mutually agreeable, may be included in such an agreement.
2. The exercise of jurisdiction provided for herein shall be in addition to jurisdictional authority presently exercised by municipalities under law, and nothing in this paragraph shall be construed to limit or remove any such jurisdictional authority. Such jurisdiction includes regulation of access to such road or roads by security devices or personnel.
3. Any such agreement may provide for the installation of multiparty stop signs by the parties controlling the roads covered by the agreement if a determination is made by such parties that the signage will enhance traffic safety. Multiparty stop signs must conform to the manual and specifications of the Department of Transportation; however, minimum traffic volumes may not be required for the installation of such signage. Enforcement for the signs shall be as provided in s.316.123.
4. The board of directors of a homeowners’ association as defined in chapter 720 may, by majority vote, elect to have state traffic laws enforced by local law enforcement agencies on private roads that are controlled by the association.

It is more than likely this type of arrangement that exists between DISNEY and the Counties when it comes to roads owned and maintained by Disney. (wouldn't be with Reedy Creek as they don't have any police to contract with)

Any county owned roads would already be covered by the county and county police would have the right to enforce traffic laws given the 0316.640 (2)(a) '...right to travel..'. Any roads owned by Reedy Creek would be public access anyway.. so again, already covered by the county.

If I were ticketed behind the toll plazas - I'd fight to ensure there was a legal agreement pursuant to the requirements above between Disney and the County that covered the parking lots because those are not open to public access.

Flynn.... you know I like ya.

But why dont you blow past those boys doing about 80 and see how that legalese works for ya ;)

Long and the short of it, OCSO is doing this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom