FYI - OCSO Running Radar in Parking Lots

flynnibus

Premium Member
The question I was posing, is whether or not a speed limit lower than 30 posted by a private owner is enforceable under state law.

Yes - because it is a limit that is "...consistent with Section 316.183, Florida Statutes"

The statement is that the posted limits must be consistent with the state requirements - and the requirements define the MAXIMUM limits. The statute is simply saying the private posted limits should be consistent with the standards used for the public roads. And as you just acknowledged, the standards for the public roads can include speed limits under 30.

DisneyCane

And my point is that LE just doesnt care about these semantics.

In the end, its about public safety.

I couldn't disagree more about your last statement. If it was about public safety then they would set up speed traps mostly where speeding is dangerous. Instead, they set up most speed traps where it is easiest to speed such as downhill straightaways on highways and things like that. Speed enforcement is mostly about income.

If cops were interested in safer roads they would spend more time ticketing people driving recklessly (like weaving in and out of traffic on I-95 at rush hour) than setting up speed traps at 11PM on the Turnpike between Ft. Pierce and Yeehaw Junction.

tahqa

Well... the two gentlemen with radar, police cars and guns seemed to be enforcing the 15mph (gave me 5+). But honestly, they're looking for someone doing 35-40 and is flying along. Ticketing someone going 5 over is a waste of their time. A reckless driving ticket on the other hand, thats entirely different.

Correct, according to statute 318.18(3)(b) the penalty for exceeding the speed limit by 1-5 mph is a warning. It's just not worth their time to stop you if you're in that range.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I couldn't disagree more about your last statement. If it was about public safety then they would set up speed traps mostly where speeding is dangerous. Instead, they set up most speed traps where it is easiest to speed such as downhill straightaways on highways and things like that. Speed enforcement is mostly about income.

If cops were interested in safer roads they would spend more time ticketing people driving recklessly (like weaving in and out of traffic on I-95 at rush hour) than setting up speed traps at 11PM on the Turnpike between Ft. Pierce and Yeehaw Junction.

You're welcome to disagree. You're also wrong.

SJFPKT

Before I got into the cyber crimes investigation, I worked traffic enforcement for a local PD. I can promise you we got paid the same if we wrote 1 ticket a month or if we wrote 200. We had a contact average, but merely stopping a car was a contact. Most, and I say most not all, radar details are run at locations due to complaints from citizens. The ones you come across on the turnpike are probably highway safety details that are specified by the federal government due to numerous wrecks or a couple of fatalities. When those are done, they normally have a set range of mile markers to work.

I worked for a city that was almost broke and never once got told to pick up the tickets. Not sure how it is in Florida, but in here the most a general fund will see from a traffic citation is $10.

Daniel Johnson

I've been pulled over on property before. Leaving MK in February of this year. I don't recall the road or the posted limit, but, I was informed I was breaking it. I was let go with a warning because a mutual appreciation for the grateful dead (the officer commented on my steal your face sticker)
Case in point, they will stop you for speeding, regardless of your thoughts on their jurisdiction in said area. The officer who made contact with me generally seemed concerned with the well being of everyone on the road, he mentioned that they pull over countless amounts of folks who just don't know the speed limit and issued warnings to most of them.
he was just doing his job, if I was given a ticket, I would have had no I'll will towards him.
Thanks for the heads up, We will be there next Friday...I won't get lucky to get a warning twice.

Tinkrbell

They're out at all hours. I just got to studios & they're out. It looked as though they were running radar on people coming in as they were circling the tram lane. (Although it was dark and kinda hard to tell exactly which way they were facing)

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Before I got into the cyber crimes investigation, I worked traffic enforcement for a local PD. I can promise you we got paid the same if we wrote 1 ticket a month or if we wrote 200. We had a contact average, but merely stopping a car was a contact. Most, and I say most not all, radar details are run at locations due to complaints from citizens. The ones you come across on the turnpike are probably highway safety details that are specified by the federal government due to numerous wrecks or a couple of fatalities. When those are done, they normally have a set range of mile markers to work.

I worked for a city that was almost broke and never once got told to pick up the tickets. Not sure how it is in Florida, but in here the most a general fund will see from a traffic citation is $10.
It does not involve Orange County, but Florida is the only state to have AAA identified traffic traps (Lawtey and Waldo on US 301) and one of their criteria is tickets being an important source of revenue. Hampton, also on US 301, was in the news this past year for also being a speed trap due to a weird annexation that reached out to the US highway and a similar dependence on ticket revenue that came under investigation by the state legislature.

DisUniversal

It does not involve Orange County, but Florida is the only state to have AAA identified traffic traps (Lawtey and Waldo on US 301) and one of their criteria is tickets being an important source of revenue. Hampton, also on US 301, was in the news this past year for also being a speed trap due to a weird annexation that reached out to the US highway and a similar dependence on ticket revenue that came under investigation by the state legislature.
There are a couple places I pass on the way to work each day where I always see police waiting to write out tickets. They do it (at least here in Orlando area) for purely financial reasons.

Goofyernmost

There are a couple places I pass on the way to work each day where I always see police waiting to write out tickets. They do it (at least here in Orlando area) for purely financial reasons.
Sure, but do they give them out if your not speeding? If they do, then there is a legitimate complaint. Otherwise, look in the mirror to find the person at fault.

cbettua

They have a trap down here on the turnpike extension, specifically where it goes from 70mph to 60mph and they sit right where you are going downhill. Now if you aren't speeding and hit that downhill, you then are and there isn't time to react.

DisUniversal

Sure, but do they give them out if your not speeding? If they do, then there is a legitimate complaint. Otherwise, look in the mirror to find the person at fault.
Really? Thanks for enlightening us. Nobody said it was a complaint...just stating the reasons behind it have far more (if not everything) to do with money more than safety.

Goofyernmost

Really? Thanks for enlightening us. Nobody said it was a complaint...just stating the reasons behind it have far more (if not everything) to do with money more than safety.
You're welcome, let me carry it further. It has a duel benefit, more revenue plus increased safety in that area. By gosh, it's a win/win! Again... no speeding, no ticket, no problem! (but, of course, you knew that)

DisUniversal

You're welcome, let me carry it further. It has a duel benefit, more revenue plus increased safety in that area. By gosh, it's a win/win! Again... no speeding, no ticket, no problem! (but, of course, you knew that)
All depends on where they set the threshold at where they would issue a ticket.

Goofyernmost

All depends on where they set the threshold at where they would issue a ticket.
Argue it all you want. If the speed limit is 50 and you are traveling at 50, you are not in any danger of violating the law. I have been caught up in speed traps where they lowered the speed limit in an area that had no reason to and were just yards away from the first "reduced" speed limit sign. That was a money trap. If there is a stretch of highway that people traditionally go faster in and they get caught, oh, well! Such is life on the road.

cbettua

Argue it all you want. If the speed limit is 50 and you are traveling at 50, you are not in any danger of violating the law. I have been caught up in speed traps where they lowered the speed limit in an area that had no reason to and were just yards away from the first "reduced" speed limit sign. That was a money trap. If there is a stretch of highway that people traditionally go faster in and they get caught, oh, well! Such is life on the road.

See my post above, exact thing they do here is Miami on the turnpike extension between 152nd and Eureka.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The only place you have to worry about speed traps from my county sherrif's department is on 35mph roads.

They would run traps all the time on this road near my house.. which was 35mph.. which was a ridiculous speed limit for the road (4 lane divided through road, with curbs, median, and not in a residential or biz district). 2 years ago someone finally managed to get the speed limit raised to 45. Have not seen a speed trap there since.

Its pretty consistent in my area for the county. airport police though? whole 'nother story. They fit the mold for excess and self-serving.

AEfx

I've heard a rumor that there was a specific incident inside a parking lot that led to this current enforcement.

I feel its only right to warn the Cast and Guests that heightened enforcement appears to be going on, to remind people to be aware of their speed and obey the speed limits on property.

While on one hand I think it's perfectly fine that they are doing this, on the other hand - I am perfectly fine with someone pointing it out and making sure it is known. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom