FYI - OCSO Running Radar in Parking Lots

RayTheFirefly

Thought I would make this its own thread.

Ive got a bunch of people checking in with me saying that they've witnessed Orange County running radar & ticketing people inside the parking lots of DAK & DHS.

CMs beware and watch your speed inside the parking lots.
Inside the actual lots? Is that even legal? I know in Louisiana they can't ticket you for something that happens on private property. Which is why the lady who backed into me in a Starbucks parking lot didn't get a ticket...

COProgressFan

Inside the actual lots? Is that even legal? I know in Louisiana they can't ticket you for something that happens on private property. Which is why the lady who backed into me in a Starbucks parking lot didn't get a ticket...

OCSO also patrols Disney's private roads within WDW.

It is a bit odd to think they are doing this in parking lots, but this would be Disney-sanctioned.

Mania4

It is illegal for them to issue citations because Disney World is private property including the roads in which the Sheriff's Office doesn't have jurisdiction. Unless the offense qualifies as a felony. If you would receive a citation and fight it in court you would receive a automatic dismissal. More than likely they are just stopping people to try to intimidate them to slow down and issuing "warnings". If your a CM though they could report you to management for possible disciplinary action but unlikely.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
It is illegal for them to issue citations because Disney World is private property including the roads in which the Sheriff's Office doesn't have jurisdiction. Unless the offense qualifies as a felony. If you would receive a citation and fight it in court you would receive a automatic dismissal. More than likely they are just stopping people to try to intimidate them to slow down and issuing "warnings". If your a CM though they could report you to management for possible disciplinary action but unlikely.

Well..... Not quite.

And by "not quite" I mean you're 100% wrong.

Mania4

Exactly! 100% wrong! I got a speeding ticket in one of their speed traps right near Coronado Springs. And they often have a speed trap on World Dr right after the Wilderness Lodge.

The deputies can sit and write tickets all day long but that doesn't make it legal. These deputies know the majority of drivers are more than likely tourists who don't live in the area and the chances of them fighting it are small. Legally-mandated speed limits apply only to public roads. Officers are entrusted with protecting the public health and safety, if you are speeding on private property it does not endanger the public. Now, let's say you hit a little old lady while doing donuts in the parking lot - you can't get a speeding ticket, but you CAN be arrested for reckless driving and endangerment.

Lord Pheonix

according to FEDERAL law enforcement codes, police cannot ticket or enforce traffic violations that occur INSIDE the borders of any private property. they can follow you onto private property to ticket you if the infraction took place on public property, or if a criminal offence has been commited on private property they can arrest or cite you on said property. however if the owner of the property has given permission, (or in the case of disney, CONTRACTED) to or with the local law inforcement agency, then any infraction commited within the properties boundries can be ticketed.

Years ago there was a huge speeding problem on property which led disney to contract with the ocso to enforce the speed limits on the main roads. during the first month, 2500 tickets were issued, 90% were to cast members late for work.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
The deputies can sit and write tickets all day long but that doesn't make it legal. These deputies know the majority of drivers are more than likely tourists who don't live in the area and the chances of them fighting it are small. Legally-mandated speed limits apply only to public roads. Officers are entrusted with protecting the public health and safety, if you are speeding on private property it does not endanger the public. Now, let's say you hit a little old lady while doing donuts in the parking lot - you can't get a speeding ticket, but you CAN be arrested for reckless driving and endangerment.

Look. Let me explain this with clarity.

The governmental agency that runs WDW - Reedy Creek Improvement District - has contracted with the Orange County Sheriff's Office for law enforcement within its boundaries. That makes it 100% legal.

Talk to any number of our resident lawyers if thats not clear enough.

TheRabbit

according to FEDERAL law enforcement codes, police cannot ticket or enforce traffic violations that occur INSIDE the borders of any private property. they can follow you onto private property to ticket you if the infraction took place on public property, or if a criminal offence has been commited on private property they can arrest or cite you on said property. however if the owner of the property has given permission, (or in the case of disney, CONTRACTED) to or with the local law inforcement agency, then any infraction commited within the properties boundries can be ticketed.

Years ago there was a huge speeding problem on property which led disney to contract with the ocso to enforce the speed limits on the main roads. during the first month, 2500 tickets were issued, 90% were to cast members late for work.
Perfect explaination! Thank you. Hope that clears up any confusion for people about this legal subject.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Historically the biggest offenders of speeding on property (not all certainly) are indeed CM's on the way to or from work. Much of the enforcement you see is triggered by their driving behavior and either guest complaints or specific incidents resulting from that driving behavior.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster

Yes, the Governmental Agency (Reedy Creek Improvement District) that Governs WDW (which is a publicly elected government that includes the municipalities of Lake Buena Vista and Bay Lake) contracts with Orange County for law enforcement.

This is no different than any small down in America who contracts with their county for law enforcement.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Historically the biggest offenders of speeding on property (not all certainly) are indeed CM's on the way to or from work. Much of the enforcement you see is triggered by their driving behavior and either guest complaints or specific incidents resulting from that driving behavior.

I've heard a rumor that there was a specific incident inside a parking lot that led to this current enforcement.

I feel its only right to warn the Cast and Guests that heightened enforcement appears to be going on, to remind people to be aware of their speed and obey the speed limits on property.

dumboflyer

Look. Let me explain this with clarity.

The governmental agency that runs WDW - Reedy Creek Improvement District - has contracted with the Orange County Sheriff's Office for law enforcement within its boundaries. That makes it 100% legal.

Talk to any number of our resident lawyers if thats not clear enough.
^^^^This is absolutely correct^^^^

<------- Resident Lawyer

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom