Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Matt_Black

It's the same stupid argument that people use to justify things like spaceships in Frontierland. Theme parks have always involved a convenience factor.

So, Coke in World Showcase is bad, gotcha. Okay, everyone, lazyboy970 is President of the Boycott Coke in World Showcase, and I'm co-chairman. Let's go!

lazyboy97o

so do you want Epcot to become an outdated relic or do you want an up-to-date theme park that still carries through some of it's original vision?

It's better than nothing...that's all I'm saying. I'm tired of outdated attractions (UoE) and shuttered Pavilions.
There is no original vision being carried through. This is all about the current vision that considers theme parks and their guests as stupid.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
obviously they're not going to have Mexico represented by some poverty-stricken slum town and su

Come visit Mexico and get decapitated by our local drug/overlords.

Here's my take...Maelstrom was a boring ride.
Instead of spending money on a new site, why not refurbishing it? It makes good business sense. Would I have liked a new attraction from scratch? Sure but at least they are doing something.

Great, they are doing something dumb, clap hands, clap hands.

so do you want Epcot to become an outdated relic or do you want an up-to-date theme park that still carries through some of it's original vision?

It's better than nothing...that's all I'm saying. I'm tired of outdated attractions (UoE) and shuttered Pavilions.

How about a park that is both updated AND maintains it's vision?

How about a proper area for the highest grossing animated film of all time. Maybe in a park dedicated to the movies? Or a park dedicated to fantasy?

KCheatle

As an Epcot "purist" I loathe the idea of overhauling a country to add a fictional character/place to it. It totally takes away the educational value of the Epcot experience. But, the park is already infiltrated with princesses, Mary Poppins, Pooh, etc. in the countries. And, they overhauled the educational aquarium with Nemo. Plus, thought I heard rumblings of a Ratatouille ride coming next to France? So, maybe my objection is too little too late...:oops:

flynnibus

Premium Member
It does. It might not fit the "original" concept of no characters in the world showcase, but who cares. Money going to Epcot and the World Showcase in a way of a new/plussed attraction that still moderately fits the original theme isn't a bad thing.

Yes it is.. because your two lines concisely paint the picture of the downward slide.

Step 1 - Ignore theme and purpose.. just aim for popular
Step 2 - Because of step 1.. we made more money!

And what do you think Step #3 will be? That's right... repeat step #1 over and over and over.

Where do you end up? A company that has lost its way from what made it what it was.

devoy1701

Come visit Mexico and get decapitated by our local drug/overlords.

Great, they are doing something dumb, clap hands, clap hands.

How about a park that is both updated AND maintains it's vision?

How about a proper area for the highest grossing animated film of all time. Maybe in a park dedicated to the movies? Or a park dedicated to fantasy?

Yes, that would be great. But we've been asking for it for 20 years now and haven't gotten it. I'm willing to compromise a bit if it means we get something new that fits the theme of the Norway Pavilion.

Mr. Moderate

I just hate all this focus on Frozen and there's just so much that bothers me about it. To me, the worst part is that is shows the company has little regard for their guests, thinks a majority of them are stupid and will accept any meager offing Disney management gives them, and sadly there's a large number of them that will. The powers that be at WDW are busy slapping Frozen on anything and everything they can and do it cheap and easy seems to be the order of the day. Seeing the lack of creativity and effort from a company who set the bar so high in the first place, is just depressing to me.

devoy1701

Those should not be the only two choices.
I want an up-to-date theme park that carries through all of its original vision.

I agree with you. But I'm being a realist at this point. Until Iger is gone and there is a regime change, those are our options. I'm not ok with the "at all costs" stance...I don't want to see nothing happen at Epcot just because we want any change/addition to fit the original vision of the park to a "T".

I can still get great theming and execution by visiting Disneyland....at WDW I'll just settle for not being BORED anymore!

devoy1701

Yes it is.. because your two lines concisely paint the picture of the downward slide.

And what do you think Step #3 will be? That's right... repeat step #1 over and over and over.

Where do you end up? A company that has lost its way from what made it what it was.

It fits theme (Norway) and a purpose (get people to visit the Norway Pavilion, and entertain them by giving them an attraction based on a wildly popular movie based in Norway). Hopefully they'll be able to tie in some Edutainment as well.

lazyboy97o

Which is funny because Frozen is all about a girl learning to stop doing wha\she thinks people want and be true to herself...

lazyboy97o

It fits theme (Norway) and a purpose (get people to visit the Norway Pavilion, and entertain them by giving them an attraction based on a wildly popular movie based in Norway). Hopefully they'll be able to tie in some Edutainment as well.
Frozen is not about Norway and based not he comments by Tom Staggs the ride will be about the characters and music.

Fox&Hound

I understand that people are upset, and I can respect their opinions. But from a business stand point, I understand Disney wanting to capitalize on this huge hit. Everyone says Frozen belongs in MK. But MK does not need the attendance bump- it is the #1 visited theme park on the planet. That leaves AK, HS, and Epcot. AK makes no sense and they are focusing on the night aspect of the park in order to make it a whole day experience. So, AK gets glowing plants from Avatar and a night show. HS is a great fit for frozen, but I think when we see their vision for Star Wars and maybe Pixar properties and how they hope to change the park, then maybe it will make more sense as to how it does not fit their vision. This leaves EPCOT. I understand people not wanting to see Maelstrom touched, but from Disney's side, I can see how they would want to update a ride in desperate need of attention and cashing in on a lucrative property before the excitement wanes. It completely changes the vision of EPCOT. I'm sure time will see Ratatouille in France, Aladdin ride in Morocco, etc. I agree with other posters that when EPCOT was conceived the idea of a world's fair was more exotic and intriguing than it is now. People travel much more and technology has changed how we much we know about other cultures. If adding beloved characters to EPCOT enables DIsney to breathe new life into a park struggling to find an identity, then I'm okay with it. I think it could be fun to see Disney characters with exciting rides added to world showcase. I think they can still teach about cultures but also make changes. None of have seen the Frozen ride. Maybe it will discuss Norwegian culture to some standpoint. And maybe it won't. I think I've come to terms that the EPCOT of the 80's is no more....It doesn't mean that the vision cannot change to become something educational and culturally significant while also embracing animated hits. Do you really see Disney announcing a new Norway ride or Germany ride that explores the country and has no tie-in to intellectual properties. Nope. Not the world we live in anymore. So, where does Disney go with EPCOT? Let it rot so we can enjoy how it's always been. I say bring on the change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom