Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Jose

Mark Hickson: Rumor is they will completely gut the building and expand the show building backstage and use the new ride system that is now in use at Hong Kong’s Mystic Manor.

misterID

By 2016 Frozen will be yesterdays news, so there's no worry of crowds being the kind of levels they would be if it opened today. A few years ago High School Musical was the big obsession, but I doubt a High School Musical show would get more than a passing interest today.

Whether people like it or not, Frozen will have legs. Especially inside a Disney theme park. Disney princesses are timeless inside a park, on top of Frozen being a very successful film. We shouldn't get so jaded we throw out reality. Frozen will probably be EPCOT's Peter Pan. Yesterday there was a 2 hour wait, while splash Mountain had a 15 minute wait. It makes no sense.

Last edited:

misterID

Mark Hickson: Rumor is they will completely gut the building and expand the show building backstage and use the new ride system that is now in use at Hong Kong’s Mystic Manor.

This made me laugh. It would be nice, but it will take WDI 15 months and 10 million dollars just to paint the browns white in the show building. There's just no way they'll invest that much into this overlay as it defeats the whole purpose of actually building a new ride. There's a reason they chose Maelstrom. And it wasn't to do a ground up rebuild.

JohnD

Whether people like it or not, Frozen will have legs. Especially inside a Disney theme park. Disney princesses are timeless inside a park, on top of Frozen being a very successful film. We shouldn't get so jaded we throw out reality. Frozen will probably be EPCOT's Peter Pan. Yesterday there was a 2 hour wait, while splash Mountain had a 15 minute wait. It makes no sense.

Little Mermaid was 20 years ago. WDW opened a Little Mermaid ride two years ago.

lazyboy97o

For those complaining that a Frozen attraction ruins theming or authenticity, where is the outrage at Coca-Cola beverages being available at every pavilion in the World Showcase? Last I checked, Coke was founded in Atlanta.
In which of the showcased countries is Coca-Cola not available?

Again, why do people keep using the words "overlay" and "quickly"? As if this is reopening 2 months after it closes next month. Other people are already complaining it's going to take too long to reopen, so...which is it?

Unless you have some more info on what the new ride is going to be like, then by all means pony it up.
One does not need information to draw a logical conclusion. Disney has long discussed their typical five year process that is three years of design and two years of building. Given how caught off gaurded the Company was with the popularity of the film, noted by a lack of merchandise supply for months and a two week lead time for a big summer in-park event. It's hard to believe that this project has been in the design phase for a significant amount of time in an organization that seems to need time.

So instead of something different they'd be copying SeaWorld?

devoy1701

Ah, But is it long term money or short term money?

The idea of completely tossing the park's concept out the window in favor of a cash grab is a low blow to Walt's gut and us "smart" WDW guests. I haven't seen proof one way or another that the so-called "average" guest actually appreciates this decision either.

You guys are acting like Frozen has no concept or bearing on being located in the Norway Pavilion. It does. It might not fit the "original" concept of no characters in the world showcase, but who cares. Money going to Epcot and the World Showcase in a way of a new/plussed attraction that still moderately fits the original theme isn't a bad thing.

And the argument regarding long-term/short-term money. Snow White has been a Disney Princess now for 80 years, Frozen is the biggest WDA movie since the Golden Age of Disney in the early 90s. Regardless of how "great" some of think the movie or music is (I watched it once and was done with it), it's probably going to be another timeless Disney Movie.

Ulysses McGill

Considering that it will be closed for more than a calendar year, you can bet they are going to sink some dollars into it and make it really nice. However, a year probably does not provide enough time for major structural changes, unless they plan to have a zombie crew going around the clock, night and day.

So I really believe it will be much more than a simple overlay. I'm much more curious as to how Disney plans to reconcile the fact that Arrendale is a fictional place, in a part of the parks that is based on experiencing the actual cultures of several nations. Or better yet, if they even plan to iron that detail out at all.

I'm not thrilled about the change, but at the same time, I want to know more about what they actually plan to install before getting aggravated about it. Same with Avatar, I'm just on wait and see mode.

epcotWSC

There's a reason they chose Maelstrom. And it wasn't to do a ground up rebuild.
That's not necessarily true. Maelstrom is not all that popular. I'd say that would be the reasoning. I always find it funny to see people running out of the theater after the ride because they don't want to see the "required" movie.

Ulysses McGill

And the argument regarding long-term/short-term money. Snow White has been a Disney Princess now for 80 years, Frozen is the biggest WDA movie since the Golden Age of Disney in the early 90s. Regardless of how "great" some of think the movie or music is (I watched it once and was done with it), it's probably going to be another timeless Disney Movie.

Even if the movie itself fizzles out, that soundtrack will be around for the long-haul. No question. I don't remember a Disney film's soundtrack being a pop music sensation like this since Elton John's score for Lion King 20 years ago.

To illustrate the power of a great soundtrack - Batman Forever was a miserable pile of junk as a movie, but that soundtrack? Still with us today. How many people do you know who can't sing along with at least some parts of Seal's 'Kissed by a Rose'?

I really believe Frozen has the potential to be a long-standing franchise.

WDWVolFan

Here's my take...Maelstrom was a boring ride.
Instead of spending money on a new site, why not refurbishing it? It makes good business sense. Would I have liked a new attraction from scratch? Sure but at least they are doing something.

Matt_Black

In which of the showcased countries is Coca-Cola not available?

So, since Coke is available to purchase in every featured country, it's okay to be in the World Showcase? Bam! Frozen was a hit in every country, so by your same logic, there is absolutely no problem with this!

hqdefault.jpg

lazyboy97o

You guys are acting like Frozen has no concept or bearing on being located in the Norway Pavilion. It does. It might not fit the "original" concept of no characters in the world showcase, but who cares. Money going to Epcot and the World Showcase in a way of a new/plussed attraction that still moderately fits the original theme isn't a bad thing.
It's bad because the new comes from the very same philosophy that has withheld improvements for so long.

So, since Coke is available to purchase in every featured country, it's okay to be in the World Showcase? Bam! Frozen was a hit in every country, so by your same logic, there is absolutely no problem with this!
It's the same stupid argument that people use to justify things like spaceships in Frontierland. Theme parks have always involved a convenience factor.

devoy1701

so do you want Epcot to become an outdated relic or do you want an up-to-date theme park that still carries through some of it's original vision?

It's better than nothing...that's all I'm saying. I'm tired of outdated attractions (UoE) and shuttered Pavilions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom