Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

jensenrick

I'm concerned about the general increase in crowds at Epcot this could cause not just increasing lines at a new frozen attraction in comparison to Maelstrom which is clearly inevitable but impacting every other ride in the park. I don't see how an attraction which may well be heavily based on maelstrom which is fairly small in scale will be able to handle the huge influx of crowds this will inevitably cause?

Epcot used to have monster crowds back in the day, I wouldn't worry about it.

jensenrick

I can get that people don't like Frozen. I'm suspicious of those who feel the need to voice their dislike at every opportunity. As the Bard said, "Methinks the lady doth protest too much."

Exactly. I've seen some negative "reviews" of Frozen, when the immediate thought after reading was, "well that certainly tells me something about the reviewer's life, but I wonder if they saw the movie?"

Matt_Black

Exactly. I've seen some negative "reviews" of Frozen, when the immediate thought after reading was, "well that certainly tells me something about the reviewer's life, but I wonder if they saw the movie?"

And people complain about the plot holes Frozen supposedly has, and then say, "Tangled was better anyway." Now, I love Tangled, but that had at least one plothole or two.

Mike S

Just to make this clear, there's only a few people in this thread who have flat out said they hate Frozen. Some of them completely justified because of constant over exposure. Then there are others, like me, who ARE fans and would LOVE a Frozen ride. A proper one that could handle the crowds it most assuredly will attract which Frozen Maelstrom will NOT be able to do. Just take a glance at my avatar to see how things will be when this ride opens. Just remember something, classic EPCOT fans are not the only ones being screwed with this cheap and lazy decision. Frozen fans are also getting screwed out of a better ride. Come 2018 when that Frozen area opens in Tokyo Disney thanks to the very smart theme park operators at the OLC we can all buy plane tickets to Japan (or watch videos online) to see how a Frozen ride can really be done cause it sure as heck won't be demonstrated here in Florida.

Last edited:

BrerJon

Just to make this clear, there's only a few people in this thread who have flat out said they hate Frozen. Some of them completely justified because of constant over exposure. Then there are others, like me, who ARE fans and would LOVE a Frozen ride. A proper one that could handle the crowds it most assuredly will attract which Frozen Maelstrom will NOT be able to do. Just take a glance at my avatar to see how things will be when this ride opens. Just remember something, classic EPCOT fans are not the only ones being screwed with this cheap and lazy decision. Frozen fans are also getting screwed out of a better ride.

American fans *want* mediocrity. Tom Staggs said so himself, 'this is what guests want', and anytime Disney does anything half-assed and gets hundreds of people gushing praise... they're confirming that desire. The reason WDW doesn't get high quality products is because people can't wait to voice their happiness when they do things on the cheap.

The Japanese have higher standards, and expect more bang for their buck (even though their park entrance tickets are half the price of the US parks), so you can get away with mediocrity less.

PolynesianPrincess

Friday night I stumbled upon the Facebook announcement on WDW's FB page of this so I decided to browse through the comments.... For every 1 positive comment I saw for this change, I literally saw 75-100 negative comments. People saying not to close Maelstrom, people saying put Frozen in DHS or MK, people just downright upset with this plan. So it just goes to show it's not us Disney diehards here in the forums who think it's a bad idea. Seems like most of the world isn't too fond of this change either. I looking through the comments for a good 20 minutes and I will say 90-95% of the comments were NOT in favor of this change. It actually surprised me. I figured people who welcome Frozen into Epcot but that didn't seem to be the case.

Matt_Black

Friday night I stumbled upon the Facebook announcement on WDW's FB page of this so I decided to browse through the comments.... For every 1 positive comment I saw for this change, I literally saw 75-100 negative comments. People saying not to close Maelstrom, people saying put Frozen in DHS or MK, people just downright upset with this plan. So it just goes to show it's not us Disney diehards here in the forums who think it's a bad idea. Seems like most of the world isn't too fond of this change either. I looking through the comments for a good 20 minutes and I will say 90-95% of the comments were NOT in favor of this change. It actually surprised me. I figured people who welcome Frozen into Epcot but that didn't seem to be the case.

Statistically, people are more likely to voice negative comments than positive ones.

PolynesianPrincess

Statistically, people are more likely to voice negative comments than positive ones.

Oh yes, I know that. But I just figured with an announcement of this scale, with how popular Frozen is with children (and some adults) I figured I would see comments where people were leaping for joy and super excited "because Little Susie loves Frozen and will love this on their next trip". I think the majoprity of comments I saw were stating this is a great IDEA, but NOT the best place to execute it. Most people stated to move it to MK or DHS and that it doesn't belong in World Showcase, which is what I think as well.

Maybe this plan will backfire, maybe it won't. Personally, I don't see how Norway will be able to handle the corwds for a meet and greet AND a new attraction. Maybe the crowds there will just be too much to handle. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I hope this plan DOES backfire. I think Disney NEEDS something to backfire and not work for them to realize that quickly throwing an overlay on an existing ride isn't the way to go about things. IMO, Frozen deserves it's own brand new ride, not replacing an existing attraction.

Tigger1988

Again, why do people keep using the words "overlay" and "quickly"? As if this is reopening 2 months after it closes next month. Other people are already complaining it's going to take too long to reopen, so...which is it?

Unless you have some more info on what the new ride is going to be like, then by all means pony it up.

spiritofNorway

Its amazing to see that this thread has so many postings, and Im happy to see that the majority of peope are against a remake of the Norwegian classic Maelstrom to be a full on Frozen ride. I have been working against this from the moment I heard it, and while the hope to stop Disneys plans to remake the ride is gone, its my hope and goal that the ride will be done in a correct way (after seeing what happened to Mexico and Test Track, Im scared...). My goal is now that Disney dont make this to be a 100% Frozen ride without Norway ties in it, that would be a disgrace... And I hope we can make sure Disney will be remembering what Epcot and the World Showcase is about.

I see some people say like "What will we loose? A polar bear and an oil rig?" and that the Norway ride is nothing like Norway. I beg to differ, while everyone agrees the ride is short, its a good 4 minute dive into Norway. Even though I like to say it showcases Norway on steroids... It starts of with going back in time and the viking god Odin invites you to take a tour to find the "Spirit of Norway", then its off to see vikings, trolls, arctic areas, Norwegian fairytale castle "Soria Moria", polar bears, puffins, Norwegian fjords and nature, then to the oilrig which represent the oil age that made Norway the rich industrynation it is today, then lastly into a calm Norwegian harbour based on "Karmøy" og "Skudeneshavn"... Personally I love this ride too much, Im sad to see it go. We are loosing something indeed.

I cant agree to some posts denying the link between Norway and Frozen. The filmmakers from Frozen spent a well 2 weeks time in Norway travelling around to get inspiration to make the movie. Though Hans C. Andersen is from Denmark, the story is fictional and not based in Denmark. The filmmakers decided to go for Norway as Denmark dosent really have anything impressive naturewise. The city of Arendelle is based on the Norwegian south coast city of Arendal, while most buildings in Arendelle is taken from Bergen, which also has the most amazing fjords. In the movie there are several things that reminds me of Norway: trolls, rosemaling, bunads, rune-language, the opening song is made by a Norwegian and sung by a Norwegian choir, lutefisk, architecture, names, the stave church Elsa gets coronated in, Akeshus Fortress, Kristoff and the sami culture, northern lights and so on... I do love the Frozen movie, and Im very proud of the work they did with it.

Im not so happy that they will tear out the Norwegian stuff and make it all Frozen.
I hope people will tell Disney that there should still be Norway in Norway.

BrerJon

I think Disney NEEDS something to backfire and not work for them to realize that quickly throwing an overlay on an existing ride isn't the way to go about things. IMO, Frozen deserves it's own brand new ride, not replacing an existing attraction.

I don't think they learn lessons like that. Look at MyMagic+, hardly the greatest success story but they seem to just be doubling down on that strategy.

BrerJon

Its amazing to see that this thread has so many postings, and Im happy to see that the majority of peope are against a remake of the Norwegian classic Maelstrom to be a full on Frozen ride.

Thanks for posting this. As much as the rest of us can say we like or dislike what is or isn't happening, the opinions of actual Norwegians are the only ones that really count, as they're the ones whose pavilion is being altered.

Hula Popper

the opinions of actual Norwegians are the only ones that really count, as they're the ones whose pavilion is being altered.

People are acting like this is the Taliban tearing down the Buddhas of Bamiyan.

There is a wide range of valid opinions on this. There is no moral authority here. This is a 26-year old attraction at a theme park in central Florida owned by the Mouse.....it ain't Nidaros Cathedral.

JohnD

Again, why do people keep using the words "overlay" and "quickly"? As if this is reopening 2 months after it closes next month. Other people are already complaining it's going to take too long to reopen, so...which is it?

Unless you have some more info on what the new ride is going to be like, then by all means pony it up.

Agree. Jingle Cruise is an overlay of Jungle Cruise but it's still Jungle Cruise. Nightmare Before Christmas is an overlay of Haunted Mansion in DL but it's still Haunted Mansion. This is NOT a Frozen overlay of Maelstrom but a closing and gutting of Maelstrom to be replaced by Frozen.

Tom Morrow

Defenders of Mediocrity in full force...

edit: fine - the WS pavilions are idealistic representations of their respective countries, no, they're not the Smithsonian, and no, they're not true to life, but obviously they're not going to have Mexico represented by some poverty-stricken slum town and such.

American fans *want* mediocrity. Tom Staggs said so himself, 'this is what guests want', and anytime Disney does anything half-assed and gets hundreds of people gushing praise... they're confirming that desire. The reason WDW doesn't get high quality products is because people can't wait to voice their happiness when they do things on the cheap.
WWoHP and Cars Land and the very successful makeover of DCA compared to its initial failure show that American's don't want mediocrity and WDW is an exception that can churn it out and still gain from it.

People will always go for the forseeable future because "It's Disney World".

Last edited:

Mike S

Oh yes, I know that. But I just figured with an announcement of this scale, with how popular Frozen is with children (and some adults) I figured I would see comments where people were leaping for joy and super excited "because Little Susie loves Frozen and will love this on their next trip". I think the majoprity of comments I saw were stating this is a great IDEA, but NOT the best place to execute it. Most people stated to move it to MK or DHS and that it doesn't belong in World Showcase, which is what I think as well.

Maybe this plan will backfire, maybe it won't. Personally, I don't see how Norway will be able to handle the corwds for a meet and greet AND a new attraction. Maybe the crowds there will just be too much to handle. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I hope this plan DOES backfire. I think Disney NEEDS something to backfire and not work for them to realize that quickly throwing an overlay on an existing ride isn't the way to go about things. IMO, Frozen deserves it's own brand new ride, not replacing an existing attraction.
Don't use overlay as it angers some people who are too literal. Use refurd (a refurbishment that doesn't make the ride better and actually makes it worse whether as an attraction itself or as a poor thematic fit).
Its amazing to see that this thread has so many postings, and Im happy to see that the majority of peope are against a remake of the Norwegian classic Maelstrom to be a full on Frozen ride. I have been working against this from the moment I heard it, and while the hope to stop Disneys plans to remake the ride is gone, its my hope and goal that the ride will be done in a correct way (after seeing what happened to Mexico and Test Track, Im scared...). My goal is now that Disney dont make this to be a 100% Frozen ride without Norway ties in it, that would be a disgrace... And I hope we can make sure Disney will be remembering what Epcot and the World Showcase is about.

I see some people say like "What will we loose? A polar bear and an oil rig?" and that the Norway ride is nothing like Norway. I beg to differ, while everyone agrees the ride is short, its a good 4 minute dive into Norway. Even though I like to say it showcases Norway on steroids... It starts of with going back in time and the viking god Odin invites you to take a tour to find the "Spirit of Norway", then its off to see vikings, trolls, arctic areas, Norwegian fairytale castle "Soria Moria", polar bears, puffins, Norwegian fjords and nature, then to the oilrig which represent the oil age that made Norway the rich industrynation it is today, then lastly into a calm Norwegian harbour based on "Karmøy" og "Skudeneshavn"... Personally I love this ride too much, Im sad to see it go. We are loosing something indeed.

I cant agree to some posts denying the link between Norway and Frozen. The filmmakers from Frozen spent a well 2 weeks time in Norway travelling around to get inspiration to make the movie. Though Hans C. Andersen is from Denmark, the story is fictional and not based in Denmark. The filmmakers decided to go for Norway as Denmark dosent really have anything impressive naturewise. The city of Arendelle is based on the Norwegian south coast city of Arendal, while most buildings in Arendelle is taken from Bergen, which also has the most amazing fjords. In the movie there are several things that reminds me of Norway: trolls, rosemaling, bunads, rune-language, the opening song is made by a Norwegian and sung by a Norwegian choir, lutefisk, architecture, names, the stave church Elsa gets coronated in, Akeshus Fortress, Kristoff and the sami culture, northern lights and so on... I do love the Frozen movie, and Im very proud of the work they did with it.

Im not so happy that they will tear out the Norwegian stuff and make it all Frozen.
I hope people will tell Disney that there should still be Norway in Norway.
It's great to hear your thought on this. The negative response shouldn't be at all surprising though. Those who seek the spirit of Norway face peril and adventure, not Anna & Elsa.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom