Kali River Rapids reopens.... and guess what??

cheezbat

Most rapids rides are longer than Kali. It's pretty sad how much focus went into that drop, but then next thing ya know they build a bigger, much better themed rapids ride at DCA, and they even built a bigger drop on that thing.

Popeyes, Grizzly, and even some of the Six Flags rapids are more fun than Kali.

Tom Morrow

So, Kali River Rapids is among the shortest rapids ride out there. Plus, what doesn't help it is that the ride itself is just no good beside the drop. There is maybe one good wave after the drop and the waterfall at the start barely get you wet. The water effects at the end help a bit, but it is not much. They could improve it by adding a rapid section to those dead zones and a waterfall that actually get you wet later.

How are rapids created on those rides? Pipes of various sizes are bolted to the bottom of the channel. As the water pass over them, they create white water that will get you wet.
The funny thing about the water effects is that they often aren't even all working. With those off, and if you get lucky and get a "dry" seat on the drop, you have potential to get off the ride nearly completely dry. Considering the main reason people even ride is to cool off, that's a bit ridiculous. One thing I loved about Grizzly River Run is that everyone gets equally wet but nobody gets totally drenched.

Also, regarding the pipes, I agree that they could easily add more of these to make the river choppier and at least a bit more thrilling.

RSoxNo1

Just put in a new lift.. and I'm sure they could work it out with the existing water flows.. using lifts/etc as ways to create separate zones.
Yeah. Just put in a new lift, no problem, and have water run uphill or just put in 7 more pumps, then you would have get water from somewhere and while you're at it, just put in another reservoir and take out the Jungle Trek.
I would think that you can cut the ride pretty much right after the main lift hill before it cuts to the right. You can have another segment with a second lift hill that ultimately rejoins the existing flume.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
The funny thing about the water effects is that they often aren't even all working. With those off, and if you get lucky and get a "dry" seat on the drop, you have potential to get off the ride nearly completely dry. Considering the main reason people even ride is to cool off, that's a bit ridiculous. One thing I loved about Grizzly River Run is that everyone gets equally wet but nobody gets totally drenched.

Also, regarding the pipes, I agree that they could easily add more of these to make the river choppier and at least a bit more thrilling.

Do you think that would bump up the height requirement? Kali is 38" and Griz is 42. AK lacks so much for adults and even more for the smaller guests. Dino 40, Everest 44, Whirl 48, Kali is the lowest for families. Wonder if that is why they made it tamer. Island has had a bad wrap for not being family friendly, AK isn't all that different.

Tom Morrow

As far as I know, Kali is the only Intamin raft ride with a height requirement lower than 42 inches (I think a few might be 40 inches), and the only reason for this is the rafts have a modified "lap bar" that pulls down for children under 42 inches. You can see one of the bars on the main photo here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/animal-kingdom/kali-river-rapids/

Does anyone know if Kali opened with a 38 inch height requirement? Or was it modified with the lap bars later to lower the height requirement?

StarWarsGirl

As far as I know, Kali is the only Intamin raft ride with a height requirement lower than 42 inches (I think a few might be 40 inches), and the only reason for this is the rafts have a modified "lap bar" that pulls down for children under 42 inches. You can see one of the bars on the main photo here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/animal-kingdom/kali-river-rapids/

Does anyone know if Kali opened with a 38 inch height requirement? Or was it modified with the lap bars later to lower the height requirement?
I rode it when it first opened. I was four. I couldn't even ride BTM and SM at that time, so I'm going to say yes, the height requirement was low.

The only reason I know I rode it was because I had this favorite dress and it got soaked, so I had to change, and I wanted to know if it was dry so I could wear it again. The things we remember from our childhood:rolleyes:

TP2000

Most rapids rides are longer than Kali. It's pretty sad how much focus went into that drop, but then next thing ya know they build a bigger, much better themed rapids ride at DCA, and they even built a bigger drop on that thing.

Grizzly River Run has two drops. Both of them seem bigger/steeper than the lone Kali drop, in my amateur riding opinion. Grizzly River Run also has a spinning effect installed on the second drop.

Cosmic Commando

Server busy. WHY would you link to the official WDW website!?! :p

The Empress Lilly

Popeye and Bluto's is better than Grizzly River Run which is better than Kali River Rapids. The best thing Kali has going for it is the queue.
You know what makes me sad? The queue shows that some on-ride atmopshere wouldn't have been outside of reasonable budget.

Can't they replace those heads (teh awesome!) and the other cool stuff and put it on-ride?

The Empress Lilly

Popeyes, Grizzly, and even some of the Six Flags rapids are more fun than Kali.
Every raft ride on the planet is fun. Except for Kali. A feat in itself.

How do you even manage to fail a raft ride? There's just no fun to Kali. No tension, except for 'who gets teh soaked'. Nothing to look at. You don't go on an adventure, you aren't transported, there are no particular thrills.

I just don't get it. By default, I should like this ride, should want to do it all afternoon, but I'm always underwhelmed.

AndyMagic

There is really no practical way to turn Kali into an attraction worth riding without changing the physical nature of the flume in some way. These rides are traditionally fun for two reasons; the rapids and the seemingly randomized spinning of the raft leading into waterfalls and other water-based effects. Even when the show quality was perfect, the ride was underwhelming. A 360 degree ride vehicle should naturally dictate a ride built around movement and chaos and not slow, dark-ride elements since riders spend most of their time staring at each other. The entire design of Kali from start to finish is a failure in my view. The queue in indeed spectacular and remains one of my all time favorites.

Just a thought, but are there any raft rides where people sit facing the outside?

There's a few reasons I think why this hasn't been done:

The inward facing seats is a safety feature. Should a seat belt fail, or should somebody unbuckle it mid-ride, the rider will NOT be ejected from the raft. They will just get knocked around inside the raft. At the most, a ride op will notice it and Ride Stop. If the seats faced outward, and somebody was ejected, they would go right in the water.

Take note: On a raft ride (or any water ride for that matter), falling into the water is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS! Best case scenario: A ride op sees the person ejected and hits E-Stop. E-Stop kills the pumps and drains the water, which the person will likely get sucked into the reservoir, if they don't get crushed by a boat bottoming out in the channel first, or caught in any mechanics such as boat stops, lift belt, guide rails, etc.

On raft rides it is possible to also have the boats "lip" onto each other. Sometimes if they get too close or pushed up against each other, one boats tube can actually ride ON TOP of another boat's. The seats facing inward protect riders from possible impact. Having the seats facing outside well, I really don't even want to think about it.

Overall I think it's a very BAD idea that hasn't been executed for good reason.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom