Kali River Rapids reopens.... and guess what??

disney4life2008

I think that the gradual elimination of constant fog effects has to do more with liability issues and illnesses. There have been multiple outbreaks through the years and it's becoming an even dicier predicament with recently rare diseases making their reappearance. The following article references an incident we had in Nashville several years ago:

"Mist infects 100 in a Rainforest Cafe
Bacteria in a theme restaurant's rain forest simulation is to blame for an illness that struck about 100 diners in Nashville, Tenn., the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed this week.

Customers at the Rainforest Cafe in the Opry Mills shopping mall came down with Pontiac fever, a mild form of flulike Legionnaire's disease, after they visited the restaurant the weekend of April 19, medical officials said.

The contaminated mister has been turned off while the state health department develops a plan to clean it. The agency will begin routinely testing it for safety when operation resumes.

Houston-based Landry's Restaurants, owner of the cafe, plans to reimburse the cost of meals to affected patrons."

People are susceptible to anything now-adays.

CDavid

I think that the gradual elimination of constant fog effects has to do more with liability issues and illnesses. There have been multiple outbreaks through the years and it's becoming an even dicier predicament with recently rare diseases making their reappearance. The following article references an incident we had in Nashville several years ago:

"Mist infects 100 in a Rainforest Cafe
Bacteria in a theme restaurant's rain forest simulation is to blame for an illness that struck about 100 diners in Nashville, Tenn., the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed this week.

Customers at the Rainforest Cafe in the Opry Mills shopping mall came down with Pontiac fever, a mild form of flulike Legionnaire's disease, after they visited the restaurant the weekend of April 19, medical officials said.

The contaminated mister has been turned off while the state health department develops a plan to clean it. The agency will begin routinely testing it for safety when operation resumes.

Houston-based Landry's Restaurants, owner of the cafe, plans to reimburse the cost of meals to affected patrons."

Clearly it would be a hardship and undue burden to be required to keep the misters clean in order to have a working fog effect... :banghead:

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Anyone who has been on both: how would you compare Grizzly River Run with Bilge-Rat Barges? I'm talking in both theming and ride quality.

TP2000

Grizzly River Run, IMO, is a MUCH BETTER ride. I don't care to ever ride Kali again, whereas when I do go to Disneyland, I go out of my way to ride Grizzly River Run once.

And look at the fog in Grizzly!

As if the several extra minutes of ride time, plus a second drop, on Grizzly River Run weren't enough. Without working effects on Kali that ride is just sad.

If they can have working fog effects on rides in California (Grizzly, Thunder, Pirates, etc.) then I can't think of a good excuse why the same company can't have working fog effects in Florida.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Anyone who has been on both: how would you compare Grizzly River Run with Bilge-Rat Barges? I'm talking in both theming and ride quality.

GRR is far more pretty.. it looks like you are going through a nature area. It's a fun raft ride, but think of it like 'a dressed up standard raft ride with huge scale'.

Bilge Rat barges is probably the most fun raft ride I've been on.. and has LOADS of props/gimmicks/etc.. but absolutely soaks you like you just jumped in the pool. There is no dancing around it.. swim in your clothes.. that's the BRB. GRR is nothing like that, but is far more your typical soaking level.

GRR = scenic pretty and a solid ride
BRB = loaded with plastic props, fun, and a great raft ride
KRR = an aborted ride with most of it's dressing and purpose stripped out of it

PARichards

So... cutting to the chase: family's first trip in September-was once excited to ride Kali, but maybe not so much the walking around soaking wet for the rest of the day part. Are we best advised to skip it? Where are the ride reviews for folks who haven't before visited the dis-parks and, it seems, are too easily impressed?

I would say this, if you wanna get wet, save it for the last ride of the day. That way you head back to the hotel for your rest in the afternoon, and can change into dry clothes.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So... cutting to the chase: family's first trip in September-was once excited to ride Kali, but maybe not so much the walking around soaking wet for the rest of the day part. Are we best advised to skip it? Where are the ride reviews for folks who haven't before visited the dis-parks and, it seems, are too easily impressed?

Ponchos and flipflops... you can ride without concern (except the raft ride in IOA - that requires a full change of clothes :) )

slappy magoo

Why is the fire gone? And how long did it work, safely, before they decided that it wasn't safe?

Why has the fire been omitted? I feel like for the average tourist Kali hardly even offers a story.

Grrrr...no more fire!! So the queue is now officially better than the actual ride...kudos

Why is this effect off for good? TDO Cost cutting?

Yes, they have been looking for ways to minimize the usuage of CNG. And turning it off really minimizes the use.

I haven't gone through all messages, so maybe this was touched upon. But just as someone pointed out the irony that some foliage was cut down in an attraction with an underlying message to conserve, didn't anyone else think it odd that they had fuel running all day in an attraction with an underlying message to conserve?

Mouse_Trap

Also, I'm no engineer, but I'm pretty sure it isn't that hard to make the water choppier. The rapids are merely created by attaching deviation pieces to the river bed. More could easily be added.
Yep, and I've heard people excuse Kali for being tame because "it's Disney." But that doesn't explain Grizzly, then, which is one of the best rapids rides around.

Here's a great POV of Grizzly, for members who have not ridden it:

Wow, that's crazy!

Grizzly looks quite beautiful, can't believe I missed it :(

Oh the other hand, is the water always that clear? Or had it just reopened?
I normally associate rapids rides with having pretty stinky, murky water. That though looks crystal clear.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Oh the other hand, is the water always that clear? Or had it just reopened?
I normally associate rapids rides with having pretty stinky, murky water. That though looks crystal clear.
I think it's pretty important to have murky water. Otherwise, you can see how shallow it actually is, as well ride components. Or, worse, it could be like how Jurassic Park is at IOA right now, and blatantly show all of the show components. Embarrassing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom