1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Kali River Rapids reopens.... and guess what??

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by marni1971, Feb 18, 2013.

1. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

So, Kali opened after its 6 week refurb. Guess what? It's worse now than before. In a park where show quality is ignored its no surprise, but sadly it is another nail in the coffin of the level WDW once held itself to. And so...

The new attraction-wide paved evac path was only half completed.

Rafts were meant to be deep cleaned or replaced. Drainage holes that were too small were meant to be enlarged to prevent puddles on the floor. Only ONE was replaced and TWO refurbished. The other 21 still have drainage issues and a layer of mold and mildew on the skin.

The redesign of the entrance to prevent crowding and bottlenecks didn't happen. No new signs were added. All it got was paint on the height check sign and a new umbrella.

Except fire, which is now off the list for good, every effect was meant to be fixed. Instead the lift mist still doesn't work, the logs don't swing, the truck doesn't teeter. And no alternate has been found to real flames. Plus so much more foliage has been cut down that the contrast between jungle and burning wilderness is now lost.

Queue artefacts were added, but they forgot to fix the backstory video projector which looks worse than ever.

Not bad for a newly refurbished attraction. The fact they can't have all effects working is sad. The fact they opened knowing they aren't working is pathetic. The fact they have so many issues still is unforgivable. But this is the park with Dinosaur and Everest.
  2. BryceM

BryceM Well-Known Member

If they're going to have an attraction as weak as Kali, at least have all of the effects working properly.

C'mon.
  3. Horizons78

Horizons78 Grade "A" Funny... Premium Member

So you're saying the refurb was really watered down? (Ba-dum-tssss)

Sorry, bad joke. Could be funny if it wasn't true.
  4. Goofyernmost

Goofyernmost Well-Known Member

The good news for me is that I have only ridden this once and that was when everything was working. I thought it was fun but didn't like walking around soaking wet for a couple of hours, so I have never had the desire to ride again. That way, it's still a well done attraction for me.
  5. alissafalco

alissafalco Premium Member

Thats just awful!! How they are not embarrassed is beyond me.
    WEDway1975, HMF, docnabox and 3 others like this.
  6. amejr999

amejr999 Member

So what exactly did they do?
  7. xdan0920

xdan0920 Gooner Premium Member

Brand defenders? Where are you?
    Furiated, HMF, tink1 and 6 others like this.
  8. COProgressFan

COProgressFan Well-Known Member

It's just so sad how much they simply don't care anymore. While Kali was never that great to begin with, it at least had a few added qualities which distinguished it from the raft ride at your local amusement park. Now, it seems like they've simply given up on that concept.

I would imagine the details of this "refurb" (if you want to call it that) were all put together during Michael Colglazier's term as VP of DAK. Certainly he would have been involved in signing off on the budget and scope of the project. Folks in Anaheim seem to be cautiously optimistic about his move to Disneyland (after all, he was out serving popcorn to guests!) Yet, given his history of operations at DAK (Everest, Dino, Kali, the dumbing down of the safari, etc etc), I think they should be very worried.

Things are getting so bad at WDW, that I keep thinking (and hoping) that it can only get better from here. But it seems they keep finding ways of making it worse.
  9. sweetpee_1993

sweetpee_1993 Well-Known Member

You'd have to care to be embarrassed. When you don't give a rat's patootie the show or lack thereof doesn't matter.
  10. Atomicmickey

Atomicmickey Well-Known Member

Why is the fire gone? And how long did it work, safely, before they decided that it wasn't safe?
    BrightImagine and WEDway1975 like this.
  11. HenryMystic

HenryMystic Well-Known Member

Saved on 6 weeks of labor!
  12. cowanfamily

cowanfamily Well-Known Member

Never a fan of Kali. Kali is reason #56 as to why I am not a fan of AK!
  13. Matt7187

Matt7187 Well-Known Member

Sigh
    HMF, afarese and ParentsOf4 like this.
  14. ratherbeinwdw

ratherbeinwdw Well-Known Member

Since you were just there, is FotLK still open?
  15. mickey2008.1

mickey2008.1 Well-Known Member

Seems like a waste. Was the budget cut on this? Rhetorical question. Obviously. It was never that great, but did have some good effects and story line, now it appears that it is just water ride that you just get wet on and get to enjoy the mold of the jungle, at least thats a real effect.
  16. dcibrando

dcibrando Well-Known Member

Kali may be the ONLY ride I haven't done at WDW. I just have no interest in it. I know some like getting wet on it especially on the hot days, but me personally... if I want to get wet, I'll go to the pool or a water park.

AK needs a facelift/additions
    DHS needs a facelift/additions
    EPCOT could use a facelift/additions (especially future work - energy, imagination)

Disney's needs to get out the checkbook to show the other orlando parks who's boss
  17. Taylor

Taylor Well-Known Member

Makes me scared of what to expect when Splash opens back up
  18. Nmoody1

Nmoody1 Well-Known Member

You know someone is scratching their head thinking "If we dumb down the attractions now, we can spend less money on Avatar and it will look amazing compared with the rest of the park!"

.... How long until FOTLK becomes a one man abstract show in a darkened room?
  19. nolatron

nolatron Active Member

It was open on Thursday when I was there. First time I saw it. Really good show.
    alissafalco and bethymouse like this.
  20. ratherbeinwdw

ratherbeinwdw Well-Known Member

Thanks.
    DfromATX likes this.