Kali River Rapids reopens.... and guess what??

djlaosc

Overall I think it's a very BAD idea that hasn't been executed for good reason.

It wasn't something that I had ever thought of before, but just reading...

A 360 degree ride vehicle should naturally dictate a ride built around movement and chaos and not slow, dark-ride elements since riders spend most of their time staring at each other.

...just made me think of whether there had been any that did face the outside that would focus on dark-ride elements - I didn't think about it too much in terms of safety or anything, it was just something that popped into my head.

As you've said, it's probably a bad idea...

Alektronic

Basically, when Kali was being designed they had a lot longer path and more show effects and incorporating the gibbons and siamangs and tigers. But of course, after budget cuts, they got the bare minimum. When they bought the ride from Intamin, they just got the bare minimum to run the ride with no options but there were plenty of options that would make the ride easier to operate also. It was just like buying a car with plenty of options like power windows and power locks and a/c or you can get a bare bones version with roll up windows and manual locks and no radio or a/c. The only thing Disney added to the ride was the boat stops at the top of the downramp and at the entrance to the turntable and a handicap loading area.

The show effects were all built by Disney and tried to go the cheapest route possible and we were instructed not to get people wet with the show effects, the 3 geysers at the top of the upramp, the leaking pipe, the leaking cave, and the tri-jets. With the tri-jets, we tried to aim them at the rafts but they wanted them above the rafts for people wouldn't get wet just make them think that they would get wet. The only show effect that was designed to get people wet was the Elephant Gag because were orginally go to pay to operate that, but then decided not to be coin operated because that would cause problems also with someone trying to fix them all the time.

Sabi

I have seen some videos on you tube, which Kali River Rapids does not have the effect of fog on the rise, someone knows why?.
Any times removes the effect of fog, or is it pure coincidence? :-(

Thank you.
Have a zip-a-dee-do-da-day

video:

kali1.jpg

even less fog that in the photo, no fog

kaliriver.jpg
FunFindKaliRiverRapidsFeb13-1.jpg

The danger of losing immersion is total... it looks like a water attraction of another theme park!

What happens to Animal Kingdom ...? Yeti not fixed, Mist in the cave of Expedition Everest are gone, no fog on Kali River, Rain forest cafe entrance Waterfall not work...

HakunaMatata89

huh, that part mists? every time ive ever road it, there was never any mist i had no idea it did that lol wow.

and no im not kidding and yes ive visited 20+ times

Tom Morrow

Last time I rode, about a year ago, there was mist and fog in the stretch between after the lift and the illegal logging section. Don't know if that's still working, though.

ToTBellHop

Last time I rode, about a year ago, there was mist and fog in the stretch between after the lift and the illegal logging section. Don't know if that's still working, though.
Fog effects seem hard for Disney to maintain at DAK. My local haunt has no problem keeping it working throughout the halloween season, but Disney struggles. Granted, they need to keep it working for longer periods of time, but seriously. Come on. Let's not even start on the top of Everest.

DisneyGentleman

Rafts were meant to be deep cleaned or replaced. Drainage holes that were too small were meant to be enlarged to prevent puddles on the floor. Only ONE was replaced and TWO refurbished. The other 21 still have drainage issues and a layer of mold and mildew on the skin.
And so goes the Six Flagification.

stevebwv

The decline of this ride has been steady and very disheartening. What was once a nice ride (only nice as it is so short) has become a shell of itself. My kids are now happier playing in the fountain in front of the nearby restrooms.

disney4life2008

I compare Kali to Popeyes Barges (IOA). Both get you incredibly wet. However, Kali is plain boring - its like getting caught in torrential rain and having to suffer in wet clothes for the rest of the day. I do not even bother getting on Kali anymore. Popeye on the other hand WOW WOW WOW. Same for Dudley Do Right - WOW WOW WOW. Same for Hulk, Dragons, Mummy - WOW WOW WOW. Wait wrong thread I am pumping up to UOR too much now (but hey its the truth), lol :)

Alektronic

Kali:

vs.
Grizzly River Run (DCA)

And look at the fog in Grizzly!

Kali still looks absolutely horrible. No fog mist on the upramp or the section between the waterfall and the burn zone, no fire effects or smoke effects, no teetering truck, no dripping cave, at least both waterfalls are working for now. The only effects are working now are the upramp geyser and the tri-jets. What a very sad condition it is in.
Grizzly River Run, IMO, is a MUCH BETTER ride. I don't care to ever ride Kali again, whereas when I do go to Disneyland, I go out of my way to ride Grizzly River Run once.

cjkeating

Very disappointing, ironic that the lift hill looks like it has been deforested, kind of defeats the object of the show scene...

raymusiccity

Fog effects seem hard for Disney to maintain at DAK. My local haunt has no problem keeping it working throughout the halloween season, but Disney struggles. Granted, they need to keep it working for longer periods of time, but seriously. Come on. Let's not even start on the top of Everest.

I think that the gradual elimination of constant fog effects has to do more with liability issues and illnesses. There have been multiple outbreaks through the years and it's becoming an even dicier predicament with recently rare diseases making their reappearance. The following article references an incident we had in Nashville several years ago:

"Mist infects 100 in a Rainforest Cafe
Bacteria in a theme restaurant's rain forest simulation is to blame for an illness that struck about 100 diners in Nashville, Tenn., the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed this week.

Customers at the Rainforest Cafe in the Opry Mills shopping mall came down with Pontiac fever, a mild form of flulike Legionnaire's disease, after they visited the restaurant the weekend of April 19, medical officials said.

The contaminated mister has been turned off while the state health department develops a plan to clean it. The agency will begin routinely testing it for safety when operation resumes.

Houston-based Landry's Restaurants, owner of the cafe, plans to reimburse the cost of meals to affected patrons."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom